Welcome to KnifeDogs

A Family Friendly Knife Oriented Community Founded For Knifemakers, Collectors, & Enthusiasts.

•  » Forums for individual knife dealers.
  •  » Forums for businesses supporting the knife industry.
  •  » Knife makers individual forums for visiting, support and sales.
  •  » Forums for knives.

...then you have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nail nicks with a fly cutter

nail nicks with a fly cutter

I am thinking about changing the method I have been using for making nail nicks. The most professional ones that I see are made with a fly cutter. I have a small milling machine from Harbor freight but I do not know anything about fly cutters or how to use them to cut the nail nicks. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Gene

I know some people set the blade up in the mill in a vertical position (as you would be cutting the table) and turn the mill by hand using a flycutter.
    Feel Free To Visit My Website, Ernie Swanson Knives

"Never, ever ever call a lady cop "Fatboy". ~ Rock Cowles

Gene,
    I have seen the nicks made with a drill press using a stone chucked and blade in a drill press vise.The stone is shaped with a angle and you hand feed the blade into the stone.It can be done with out a mill.
    Good luck Rick

I wrote up how I do them for the Australian Knifemakers Guild a little while ago. http://www.akg.org.au/tutorials/25-nail-nicks . I am no expert machinist or anything but that works for me.

Alistair
    Alistair Phillips
    Spare Time Knifemaker
    http://knives.mutantdiscovery.com

I appreciate the info. Can anyone tell me which fly cutters to use and where on the web to get them.
    Thanks a lot,
    Gene

I just bought whatever was cheapest on ebay. I had to grind the cutter bit to shape anyway.

Alistair
    Alistair Phillips
    Spare Time Knifemaker
    http://knives.mutantdiscovery.com

Sounds like good advise. Thanks Alistair.
    Gene

I cut mine with a 60 degree 1 3/8 Dovetail cutter but I like the way the fly cutter looks as well.

Lots of ways to skin this cat. I know some that grind with a stone after heat treating. I set up my swedges and nicks before HT. Couple of pics of my folders at the link below if you want to see what the dovetail looks like.

Johnny
    If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking.

Johnny Roberts
    Knives By Roberts

I had trouble with the fly cutter method with the tool chipping and and chattering so went to the stone method. I like the stone method best and do the nick after heat treating and regrinding is finished. It does build heat so go slow and touch up the stone with a diamond on the last few minutes for a nice finish. I use the surface grinder but the mill would do the same thing fine, maybe easier to see where the nick is placed too. I had to buy a 6" stone and grind it down to about a 5" and establish about a 60 degree knife edge on it. Be sure to get a very coarse one to avoid heat.
    The knife in my avatar is "The Hideout Bowie"
    Click here for my Web Site: http://www.brucebumpknives.com/

I used to use a dovetail cutter but now I use a cutoff wheel, it's so much faster.
    Member,THE KNIFEMAKERS GUILD since 2009
    Please visit my website www.calvinrobinsonknives.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast