Welcome to KnifeDogs

A Family Friendly Knife Oriented Community Founded For Knifemakers, Collectors, & Enthusiasts.

•  » Forums for individual knife dealers.
  •  » Forums for businesses supporting the knife industry.
  •  » Knife makers individual forums for visiting, support and sales.
  •  » Forums for knives.

...then you have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: contact wheel

contact wheel

What durometer and what size contact wheel do you use on your surface grinder

I use a 100 durometer serrated contact wheel, 6" diameter. Anything less than 100 durometer is too soft in my opinion. Some makers use either a solid aluminum or steel wheel as their contact wheel....I tried it, and discovered that either will wreck belts with anything other than the lightest passes, and EVERYTHING on the surface grinder must be dead on true, or they can chatter badly.

www.caffreyknives.net
    Caffreyknives@Gmail.com

"Nobody cares what you know.....until they know you care."
    Visit me at Table 2R at the Blade Show!

Ed, What width so you reccomend, 1.5"? I read that somewhere, why not 1" or full 2" wide? Do you split belts?
    Quote Originally Posted by EdCaffreyMS View Post
    I use a 100 durometer serrated contact wheel, 6" diameter. Anything less than 100 durometer is too soft in my opinion. Some makers use either a solid aluminum or steel wheel as their contact wheel....I tried it, and discovered that either will wreck belts with anything other than the lightest passes, and EVERYTHING on the surface grinder must be dead on true, or they can chatter badly.
    The knife in my avatar is "The Hideout Bowie"
    Click here for my Web Site: http://www.brucebumpknives.com/

I had a 8 inch wheel that was softer that worked good when it needed replaced I bought a 6 inch 100 durometer . It leaves lines on the blade . I don't notice
    Them with a 120 grit belt . I try to get the grit off the splice area but can still hear it hitting and I think that
    Is what's causing the lines. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Bruce: The contact wheel on my SG is 2" wide....I like it that way because I just buy one batch of belts and use them for the grinders and the SG.

Cliff: Those lines your getting is nothing more than uneven grit on the belt...it's one of the "trade-offs" when using a belt on the SG. The biggest drawback I have encountered using belts on a SG is uneven belt wear....it happens most often on structured abrasive belts like Norax and Gator, and will become more prominent with the finer grits.

www.caffreyknives.net
    Caffreyknives@Gmail.com

The lines don't go the lenght of the blade they look like you stopped
    moving the blade with the wheel on top of it about an 1/8 inch apart
    the whole length of the blade

Cliff....those are from the belt joint....the joint is just a fraction of a thousandth thicker. Although it won't eliminate them completely, the way to minimize them to take several VERY light passes just before your finished with the piece. You actually get something similar with stones on a SG, but they run the opposite direction.

www.caffreyknives.net
    Caffreyknives@Gmail.com

I'll try that, thanks

Ed,

I'm getting ready to order my contact wheel and after reading everything I can find on the subject I'm still left with several questions. I want to have my ducks in a row before calling to place the order so I thought I'd ask my questions here for all to see instead of in a PM.

My questions are based on this ordering page- ( Not positive this is the correct page to be looking at)
    http://www.sunray-inc.com/index.php?...ne-wheel-quote

I notice that your wheels and others I've seen have a core that is a thinner width than the wheel surface but width of the core isn't an option on the order form

#1 When requesting this feature what width should I specify ? (or perhaps this is a different type of wheel than a drive wheel)

The fact that this isn't an option on this form leaves me wondering what other potential options aren't listed.

#2 I have read where you mentioned balancing which is also not on that option menu- Do I need to specify that the wheel be balanced ?

#3 Is there anything else I need to request thats not on the order form ?

On the topic of wheel Durmometer I'm looking at this info page from Sunray-
    http://www.sunray-inc.com/index.php?page=technical-data

Based on this info I'm ASSUMING that your wheel is 100 Durmometer on the Shore A scale ????? This option seems to be 60 on the Shore D scale.
    I asked Sunray about hardness and 75 on the Shore D scale is the hardest they offer.

#4 Should I go with a 95A 60D or 75D My inclination is to go with the 75D but not sure ????

Those questions asked I filled out my quote request like this-
    Core material- Aluminum
    Tread pattern- 45 degree
    Durmometer- 75D
    Color- Green
    Outside Diameter-6"
    Width-2"
    Core Outside Diameter-4" (Perhaps 5" would be better?)
    Shaft Diameter:1.25"
    Keway Needed? No
    Setscrew Needed? No

Your insight is greatly appreciated.

I think a WIP entitled- "How to order a contact wheel from Sunray for Surface Grinder conversion or Belt grinder" would be a fantastic addition to the Articles section of your website or even a sticky right here on your forum as this question has been asked alot, lots of answers given, and I still have questions, LOL

Thanks again- Josh
    Check out the pics in my profile album *UPDATED 6/2011*
    ~ABS Apprentice smith~

Hi Josh!

I'm only familiar with a couple different brands of surface grinders, and each has different shaft diameters and lengths....so it's going to require that each individual do the measuring on their specific machine(s) to ensure they order a contact wheel that will fit. That will include ALL the specifications.

Next, you have to realize and understand that SunRay's main business is producing urethane type wheels for military applications. This means that they are used to dealing with military contracts, and rather than "offering options", they work to specifications. That's the reason why I always try to explain to folks who are dealing with them that EVERY specification you want, is going to be up to you to figure out, and ensure that you include them in the order.

DO NOT anticipate that Sunray will give you anything beyond a very basic set of options to choose from....everything else is up to you to figure out and include with the order.
    I once had an individual call me and try to chew me out because he had ordered a 10" contact wheel from Sunray and said the wheel was not "balanced". When I asked him if he had specified that the wheel was to be balanced, his response was "NO! They should have known to do that!" NO THEY SHOULD NOT! Sunray only offers contact wheels as another way to generate income for the company, it is not their primary business. Although they are very helpful, it's going to be up to the individual ordering to make sure they have covered all the specs and all the basis.
    Hopefully I've beat that horse to death now.

The very best way to order from Sunray is to call (I deal with a gentleman named Shane) and have ALL the specifications you need for your application. The first time I spoke with Shane, I was ordering 1 1/2 and 3" wheels for the grinder platen I build. I spent nearly 30 mins on the phone, learning about Sunray and how they work, and called back 3 more times before I finally placed the first order...taking my time and making sure I had all the specs worked out.

Now to your questions:
    I notice that your wheels and others I've seen have a core that is a thinner width than the wheel surface but width of the core isn't an option on the order form

#1 When requesting this feature what width should I specify ? (or perhaps this is a different type of wheel than a drive wheel)

The fact that this isn't an option on this form leaves me wondering what other potential options aren't listed.
    That is a specification your going to have to figure out and order. Like I said, each brand/type of surface grinder MIGHT have different shaft diameters and lengths. You can get any "option" (specification) you want, you just have to know what it is you want. You also must realize that additional machining to thin down the hub will add time to the order, and will add costs. That being said, I believe that just about any surface grinder application is going to require that the hub be thinned in order to fit/work on a surface grinder. What you will have to figure out is how thick that hub must be, and the offset (I know that on my HF machine the hub offset is "centered", with the hub thickness being approx. 1/4")

#2 I have read where you mentioned balancing which is also not on that option menu- Do I need to specify that the wheel be balanced ?
    If you want this, yes, you must specify it. It will require more time for Sunray to complete, and it will be an additional cost.

#3 Is there anything else I need to request thats not on the order form ?
    Forget the order form! Figure out EXACTLY what you want/need, and call Sunray, and ask to speak to Shane. Do not expect him to be able to tell you what you need or don't need, but he is very friendly, and fully knowledgeable about what Sunray does.

#4 Should I go with a 95A 60D or 75D My inclination is to go with the 75D but not sure ????
    For a surface grinder application, go with the hardest wheel you can get. Most folks don't realize just how much down pressure is present on a surface grinder...anything other than the hardest wheels will "cup" during use, and cause your work piece to come out with a convex.....not good!

Finally, Sunray is a great resource for the knifemaking world, as long as you realize and understand that it's up to you to do your homework, and know EXACTLY what you want....because you will only get what you specify.

Hey! Maybe we should take this post and make it a sticky like you suggested!

Hope this has been helpful.

www.caffreyknives.net
    Caffreyknives@Gmail.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast