Stonewashed ?

I like the WD40 idea.

I've used soap (dish and laundry) but lately I've been using this stuff...

http://www.eastwood.com/metal-wash-7-oz.html

I put a teaspoon in the bowl with some water.

Gives the carbon steel a little protection from the flash rusting that can happen if you don't get some oil on them as soon as they come out of the bowl.

Nice pics BC!

on a side note....

Check this out...a little pricey but you can stonewash a 15" blade in this bad boy

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180407835922&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I want!

mo

Martin, if it weren't for your direction, I'd still be at the kitchen sink with a rock "stonewashing" my knives ;)

Holy Smokes! That's 240 lbs. of stonewashing machine.

A guy could justify that pretty easily. Maybe not.

Hmmmmmm...

BC

I could justify it! I just couldn't afford it huh1 mo money

The sink thing might work if you have enough time :D

I like how in the description they refer to this one as one of the smaller ones. There's one about twice that size if you have about $2600 laying around.

mo

Bill or Les, have either of your tried WD-40? Jake was doing a 1095 knife in the soapy water concoction and it was rusting as it tumbled. I cleaned it out and put the other half of my triangles in there and a little WD and I really liked what it did and it was a little quieter.

I've sprayed WD40 on blades before they went in... I have some stuff similar to the stuff MO posted that has a rust inhibitor on it.

I try to keep carbon steel outta there though. It will get in the media and cross contaminate stuff.

I know one guy who's titanium got rust spots on it cuz he'd run some A2 though there...

Gentlemen(and I say that sincerely), what would the difference in the final finish be between stonewashing and bead blasting? huh1

Gentlemen(and I say that sincerely), what would the difference in the final finish be between stonewashing and bead blasting? huh1

I don't know exactly how to describe it but it has a kind of galvanized look to it and it stands up to scuffs and scratches better.

Back