Eastwing Hatchet Restoration

Ausbrooks

KNIFE MAKER
Restored this Eastwing hatchet for a coworker and I thought the before and after's pic's were interesting. Misquoted estimate by about 10X (low, not high LOL) as had to fit each piece of handle leather to get curve right. Name etched on hatchet is his 2 year old son's name as he wanted it redone as an heirloom. :1:
Eastwing Hatchet-before.jpgEastwing Hatchet-after.jpgcoworker's restored hatchet.jpg

that is some fine work. We need more guys into restoration. I get hit up every week for some one looking to get something repaired or re-furb'd.

Thanks Tracy. Haven't done lot of it but after that hatchet could offer tip or two and maybe take on some work.

We need more guys into restoration. I get hit up every week for some one looking to get something repaired or re-furb'd.

Send 'em to me, Tracy. I've never done a stacked leather handle like Ausbrooks' fine example, but I've reground a bunch of broken tips, shortened blades to meet clients' requirements, straightened curves and convexed flats, put new better handles on factory knives etc. I prefer to build my own designs from the ground up but I'm not too proud or busy to accept a job that puts beans and bread on the table :)

Thanks Tracy. Haven't done lot of it but after that hatchet could offer tip or two and maybe take on some work.

Go for it. We love tips, I'd love to hear how you cut the leather pieces to fit so nicely along that curved tang, it really looks professional. And if you can get work by showing what you can do, more power to you! A happy client might even order a full custom job.

Thanks Gary. Most of restoration was common sense, but handle was most challenging. Used thickest sole leather I had, drilled each piece in drill press then tapered the thickness of each piece on flat platen, thinning the inside curve of handle leather a little at a time until it stacked level to shank end. Then used Loctite epoxy and coated each piece of leather, stacked onto shank, and clamped while in vise per picture. The steel pit removed and polish was done with small wheel attachments on grinder.
I'd take on more restoration but I have about 30 knives started right now and just started new day job and time is tight. Eastwing Consulting maybe?
Hatchet stack.jpgHatchet Logo.jpgEastwing Hatchet-during.jpg

Last edited:
Back