Photos for 2011 Knife Dog Awards (NEXT YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven Janik

SUPERMOD & AWARDS BOSS
This thread is the place to put photos that may be considered for the 2011 Knife Dogs Awards Program.

Yes, this is premature and we don't have the categories set and they very well may change from year to year, but we would be remiss if we didn't have a place to start. Plus this will be a sweet place to look at some really great work. Please limit this to knives completed between 1-1-2011 and 12-31-2011.

So when you finish your next beauty (or go back to Jan 1, 2011) and post your best picture, give a brief description and let others enjoy it.

If you know a member who may be too shy to post their own pix, help them out and grab the pix and post them here.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
2011 KD Members Choice Awards - Bowies and Fighters over 11" overall

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2011-3.jpg
    2011-3.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 611
Great pics of great knives but please don't forget a little description, ie., type steel, handle material, OAL and blade length.

The Knife of Life-Original Design!

This design is mine, cut and ground from 440C. Handle is Bocote for strength and I left the spine out for extra grip alone with file work around entire knife. I wanted a quick multi-purpose "Knife", not a tool like the Leather Man. I wanted it to be quick and within seconds be able to assist paramedics, police and firefighters to have a knife that would cut....bra's, clothes, cut through a screen door, cut seat belts, wood, rope and still have the killing power if need be for protection, from an animal or a person. The hardest part was to design a knife where accidental cuts would not take place if the user is pulling or cutting away from the patient. After almost ten years I have seen and used different knives in each of the above situations. I tried to combine one knife for most of them. So far I have had a huge out cry to test these and make more. It appears small and unconventional to the hand but somehow it fits perfect and light "inside the hand" for pushing or pulling uses. I wish I could make about forty and send them out!!! Thanks Kris

Custom-Design-Paramedic-Kni.jpgKnife of Life with Sheath-Martinelli.jpgKnife of Life 2.jpgPF in hand.jpgPolice and Fire in Hand3.jpg

Last edited:
This one is from Joe Sangster
This is a small linerlock with the Kauri handles , carbon fiber bolsters ,CPM-154 blade, with Titanium liners which are jeweled on inside & fileworked on top edge. Backspacer is 416 SS , fileworked. The closed length is 3 1/4 " with OAL of 6 "

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Joe Sangster

From Travis Fry

This design, like most of my best ones, was an idea of my wife's. I really like it, and there's a similar one with a straighter profile on the bench. It features contoured jade green G10 handles with white liners and stainless hardware. OAL is 8.5", Blade is 4.1".

Green-Micarta.jpg

From Karl B. Andersen

One I have dubbed The " Hawg Skinner" since she is going to accompany me to Texas on a wild hog hunt this Spring.
1095 San Mai blade and stabilized Sheoak "Rays" for the Take-down handle.
Stainless guard.
Note what I call 'fish scales' in the Sheoak. I called Jessica at Alpha Knife Supply, and she suggested that had that piece been cut long grain instead of end grain, it probably would have been qualified to be a burl.
Regardless, I thought it was stupendous.

HSe-1.jpg

if we do a tactical fixed blade I would love to see this piece in the running. This is a Black Hawk II and the damasucs is Randy Jr's version of a pattern called Spirograph. With mosaic explosion guards!

Thanks and God Bless

attachment.php

Attachments

• HHH Spirpgraph 035.jpg
    HHH Spirpgraph 035.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 7
  • HHH Spirpgraph 038.jpg
    HHH Spirpgraph 038.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
I always like Todd's stuff.

Knifemaker: T.A. Davison
Sway Back in Black
Black Paper Micarta
ATS34
Closed - 3 3/4''
717AG.jpg

Last edited:
Sometimes Mike's work is a bit HUGE and crazy for my taste... but this one is just huge and crazy enough to grab my attention in a good way.

Knifemaker: Mike Carter
Another "Grizz" Bowie
Blade: 13 1/4" mirror polished 440C stainless steel, 1/4" thick.
Handle: Sambar stag with stainless steel pins.
Fittings: Polished stainless steel.
Sheath: Brown leather with belt stud.
Overall Length: 18 1/2"
Weight: 3 lb 8 oz with sheath
TribeGrizz8.jpg

Last edited:
I can't believe this Robert Dark bowie hasn't shown up yet...

Knifemaker: Robert Dark
Nice Little Bowie
Forged 5160
416 Furniture
Desert Ironwood Handle
One of my Sheaths
OAL - 13"
Blade Tip-to-Guard - 7 1/2
BigRBowie.jpg

Last edited:
I'm also going to post this one from Erin Burke. I hear he's kind of an ass in person, but his chiseled good-looks more than make up for it.

Knifemaker: Erin Burke
Balisong #2
Open Length: 6" (does not include protruding latch)
Closed Length: 3-9/16"
Blade Length: 2-3/8" Tip to choil (flat-ground differentially heat-treated)
Steel: 1095 from Kelly Cupples
Handles: 6AL-4V Titanium w/ hand-bent titanium pocket clip and stainless hardware/latch
Inlay: Stabilized? Bone (Sample from Masecraft)
Pivots: 3/16" pivots w/ 1/4" bushings and PB washers
5427026426_b53f882f1e_o.jpg

Here's a nice Bowie posted today.

Knifemaker: R Appleby
Coffin handle pique worked Bowie
Blade; 11 1/4 inches, flat ground, hand rubbed satin finished 440C
with file worked spine and false edge clip point.
Handle; stabilized figured walnut with nickel silver pique work.
(large pins are .0625, small pins are .0225.)
Fittings; Hot blued O-1
Sheath; 8/9 oz wet molded leather wrapped with brown ray skin
with a nickel silver tip and throat.
OAL; 16 3/4 inches
DSCF00052-772x456.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back