Welcome to KnifeDogs

A Family Friendly Knife Oriented Community Founded For Knifemakers, Collectors, & Enthusiasts.

•  » Forums for individual knife dealers.
  •  » Forums for businesses supporting the knife industry.
  •  » Knife makers individual forums for visiting, support and sales.
  •  » Forums for knives.

...then you have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best EDC for $100 ?

Best EDC for $100 ?

Hey guys. This is my first post here. And I'm in the process of selecting a new EDC knife. My only parameters are that I want it to be relatively dicreet in my pocket (under 4.50" closed) and I want to keep it under $100. The few I've been eye-balling are : the Benchmade Mini Griptilian M390 , the Benchmade-HK 14210 and the Benchmade Mini Bone Collector. They are all the right size for me , all have awesome blade steels and all have the sweet Axis lock. I'm a total Benchmade fan but I'm open to suggestions concerning any brand.

So let me know your opinions/suggestions. Thanks.

Welcome to the pack. When you get a chance, stop by the "Introduction Forum" and tell us all about yourself.

I'm a big BM fan and own several. Until recently, the BM Stryker has always been my go to knife as an EDC (I've carried one on two tours to Iraq). A couple of months ago I picked up a Zero Tolerance model 350 that has really impressed me. If you shop around really hard you can get one for a good price. I paid $100 shipped to my door. If you're on a tight budget, there is always the CRKT M-16 line up. They aren't BM, but they are pretty solid performers for the money.
    Murph

Thanks for the welcome. I just visited the "Intro Forum" and introduced myself. As far as ZT knives go , I've always been intrigued by their designs but I've never handled one. And they always seem to get great reviews (esp via YouTube). My interest has indeed been piqued. Is ZT a company that was formed by knife makers from other companies ? I could be wrong as I'm still learning.

My EDC is a $13 truck stop knife that has served me well for over 8 years now... Although I have REALLY been thinking about replacing it with a Kershaw Leek for about $40...

ZT is "a colaboration between Kai USA, Ken Onion and Strider Knives". In layman's terms, it's a division of Kershaw whose knives are designed by Ken Onion and Strider Knives whose target client base is military and emergency responders (police, fire, and paramedics).

I've never been a fan of Kershaw nor Strider, but I have to admit that I'm extremely impressed with ZT. The two I have purchased are both rock solid knives.
    Murph

ZT 350 is a great knife. The customer service is second to none. I carried a ZT 350 for several years before giving it away to a friend who could not afford a good knife. Benchmade or Zero Tolerance you can't go wrong.

I received one of the new CRKT Ken Onion Ripple knives for Christmas. Flipper style. The sides are stainless that I believe are nitrided for color. The knife has a thin profile but is very rigid. The ease and smoothness of the knife is amazing, and there is no play in the blade when open. In my opinion, Ken has set a new standard again with his I.K.B.S. uncagged ball bearings. You might want to take a look at one of them.
    dennie

Good point Dennie. I seen the Ripple at BLADE and did a little research before picking one up at the AG Russell Knife Event. I haven't carried it much due to the fact I typically like to have a larger blade at hand, but it is a very solidly built little flipper.
    Murph

I got a Mini Grip M390 from GPKnives, who have a forum here, and really like it. Just got it so have no real feedback other than the normal excellent fit, finish, and feel. And the blade is 3" which is legal most places. Dozier
    "The average dog is a nicer person than the average person" ~Andy Rooney

SOG Twitch or Flash

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast