Edge grinder attachment for Burr King

J. Doyle

Dealer - Purveyor
Hi guys. I took some time today to do something I should have done a long time ago. I have a Burr King 960-272 variable speed grinder. I really like it. It's as smooth and quiet as any I've seen and it's pretty versatile. It isn't the most user friendly though when changing from one attachment to the next. It's not too bad going from the contact wheel to the flat platen but it's kind of a pain to change to the small wheel attachment.

Anyway, one attachment it is missing is an edge grinding attachment. So I made one. It's a vertical edge grinder with a vertical table to keep the spines and edges of my knives perfectly square against the platen or contact wheels. I normally lean over and look from the side to edge grind my profiles but then it was hard to tell if I was holding the knife square against the platen or belt. This should fix that.

So if any of you guys have Burr King's, this is an easy and cheap modification. I use the same size screws and nuts as already existed so you don't need any new tools to take this on and off. Two socket screws will take the whole attachment on or off without having to mess with any other parts first. You can also still easily change the belt with the attachment on.

Here's a couple shot's of my grinder:
EdgeGrinder001.jpg

EdgeGrinder003.jpg

Here you can see a side view of my platen holder bracket. I drilled and tapped two holes to use the same socket screws as the rest of the grinder.
EdgeGrinder004.jpg

The platen sticks out farther than the bracket so a spacer was needed to bring everything out past the edge of the platen so the belt didn't bit into the attachment. I made a spacer out of ugly 1/4" g-10.
EdgeGrinder005.jpg

Here's the spacer installed with the screws.
EdgeGrinder006.jpg

Next I had to make a side bracket out of mild steel that will actually hold the edge grinding 'table' later.
EdgeGrinder007.jpg

Side bracket in place with the spacer doing it's job and holding the bracket away from the belt slightly.
EdgeGrinder009.jpg

Next I made and shaped the 'table'. I held a piece of mild steel along side the platen and scribed the platen and contact wheels with a sharpie. Then I cut out the shape with my bandsaw and deburred the whole piece.
EdgeGrinder010.jpg

Now I brazed two nuts that lined up with the holes in the side bracket to the back of the table. I brazed because I wasn't sure if welding them on would warp the table. And it doesn't have to be all that strong anyway. Then I screwed in two pieces of 2" long 3/8" all-thread. The extra length allows for adjustment of the table all the way along the width of the belt.
EdgeGrinder011.jpg

Here's the table installed with nuts for adjustment.
EdgeGrinder013.jpg

EdgeGrinder014.jpg

Two shots of the nicely installed edge grinder.
EdgeGrinder015.jpg

EdgeGrinder016.jpg

Sit's good and square with the platen. Not too pretty but a perfect end result.
EdgeGrinder017.jpg

Back