Welcome to KnifeDogs

A Family Friendly Knife Oriented Community Founded For Knifemakers, Collectors, & Enthusiasts.

•  » Forums for individual knife dealers.
  •  » Forums for businesses supporting the knife industry.
  •  » Knife makers individual forums for visiting, support and sales.
  •  » Forums for knives.

...then you have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Basket Weave Damascus in a Canister

Basket Weave Damascus in a Canister

Its been too quiet around here so time to start another thread.

This pattern is like one I did several years ago and always wanted to try it again.

I used 1095 and 15n20 and stacked them in 4 equal stacks and arranged them like this. The super glue is used to hold everything together and doesnt seem to cause any trouble in the forge welding process. (I hope anyway) Actually I've used super glue many times before in canister welding.

This is a reletively small billet as its only 4" long. I plan to draw it out at least 4 times its length, cut it up and restack it back into 4 parts. The next time I will draw it out 3 times its length and restack but will add the 4th piece as a solid piece of 1084 steel. This solid piece will be the edge. In order for it to be the edge I will need to re-orient the billet or aka re-square it. I want to do an accordian cut on the billet to show the basket weave pattern and also the solid 1084 edge will show up very similar to a san-mai.

Dang, I hope this all works. If it does it will only yield enough steel for a 2 blade folding knife I think. We will see.

This canister is cut out of a 1.5 x 1.5 thin wall square tubing. I used some used stainless steel heat treating foil around the contents for ease of canister removal after the initial weld. The used foil is oxydized and wont weld to the contents.

I clamped the canister together and mig welded the seams. Notice the canister needed to be cut down to fit very tight as there should be minimum air spaces inside. I'm not using powder metal to fill any gaps. I'm depending on the super glue and some residual wd-40 to burn off any air trapped that could cause the dreaded scale between the parts that will defineatly cause a bad weld. Again, I hope this works.

The ends get folded over and closed off with 1/8" thick steel plates welded all the way around inside the canister. This method keeps the canister together when making the first forge welds.

Now its ready to heat it in the forge. I like to let it soak at 2300 deg f. to be sure it is welding heat inside the canister. I will use squaring dies of the proper size so it will sqeeze from all sides at once. You can feel it stiffen up when the welding is completed. Canister welding is fun and the patterns are unlimited. This pattern is pretty basic but I think the basket weave makes an interesting knife pattern and with the added solid edge should get some attention. If this doesnt work............I can always delete the whole dang thread.

Stay tuned for the next episode.
    Last edited by Bruce Bump; 12-12-2010 at 08:17 PM.
    The knife in my avatar is "The Hideout Bowie"
    Click here for my Web Site: http://www.brucebumpknives.com/

Suweet! I always love these threads. Thanks Bruce for posting this one.. Its great to see, and fun to follow. I always learn cool stuff from all your WIP threads.. God Bless YA!
    God is GOOD, ALL the time!!!

HHH Knives, Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth & Guided by the spirit!

Randy Haas
    http://hhhcustomknives.com

LINK To current Knife Auction!!

Very cool can;t wait to see how it goes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce, that is too cool. I can't wait to see how this one comes along!
    John Doyle
    Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/jdoyleknives/

*MY ORDER BOOKS ARE CLOSED* Email jdoyleknives AT gmail DOT com
    for notification of available knives.

Streem Rods, Reels and apparel. Use coupon code 'jdoyleknives' for 10% off here>>>: http://streemoutdoors.com?afmc=jdoyleknives

Here comes Santa Bump, here comes Santa Bump, right down damascus lane.........
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The strongest reason for the People to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government........Thomas Jefferson

Another cool thread to enjoy. Most excellent.

Roger

I really missed your WIP threads while your computer was down...
    (The Count)

I can't wait to see what this one turns in to!

Yes can't wait to see the final product.
    Pieter Fourie

Todays a new day so with the propane burning in the forge I put the canister in and ramped it up to 2300 degrees for about 10 minutes to be confident the ingredients are at welding heat. Man thats hot. It went right into the squareing dies and got squeezed down and turned 90 degrees and squeezed again several times and back into the fire for a second time. I like to make sure its welded. I can feel it stiffen up inside the canister. The can is floppy and wont weld to the high carbon steel because of the stainless foil remember? After its welded and drawn out some I take the can off with by grinding the two obvious edges and chisel it off, oh first I cut both ends off. It exposed a nice basket weave billet inside.

Notice the flames coming out of my bad welding job. Thats OK because those pin holes are letting fumes and pressure out and wont allow air in. Dont worry.

The knife in my avatar is "The Hideout Bowie"
    Click here for my Web Site: http://www.brucebumpknives.com/

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast