Welcome to KnifeDogs

A Family Friendly Knife Oriented Community Founded For Knifemakers, Collectors, & Enthusiasts.

•  » Forums for individual knife dealers.
  •  » Forums for businesses supporting the knife industry.
  •  » Knife makers individual forums for visiting, support and sales.
  •  » Forums for knives.

...then you have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What guns could you not give up?

What guns could you not give up?

I was looking at some articles on the internet about what guns for survival etc. You know the ones where you need a 12 ga., a .22lr, a defensive pistol, a hunting rifle, and a defensive rifle. Which really would be a pretty good package. But, that got me to thinking what guns would I hold onto if I had to git rid of a few. So here are two of my favorites:

My Kahr pm9 - It is just really stinking handy and is what I usually carry. I am not emotionally tied to this gun. But, it is going to take a lot to unseat it.

My Dad's old 30-30 Marlin - This one took my first deer and it isn't going anywhere.

Of course the likelihood of me only having two guns is pretty low. (I hope...)

Allen

newberryknives.com

(formerly mrnewberry)

This is an say question to answer.

Self-Defense Pistol: 1911 (I'm partial to my Kimber ProCarry)
    Back Up Self Defense Pistol: 22LR (Walther P22 fits the bill quite nicely)
    Long Range Rifle: .308 (I'm rather fond of the Remington 700 Action)
    Self Defense Rifle: AR-15 (Rock River is my personal choice)
    Best All Around Home Defense Weapon: Pump Action 12 Ga.

I like alot of firearms, but these are all ones I would refuse to give up. Given another choice to add in the mix, I would probably include an accurized small caliber rifle as well (Ruger 10/22 w/heavy barrell and optics).
    Murph

OK, let's see

Carry: Kimber Eclipse Pro II
    NightStand: ParaOrdnance P14/45 w/ light
    Closet: Benelli M1 Super90 Tactical
    Travel: Glock 23
    Don't laugh but on Bicycle: Kel-tec P32 (not easy to conceal much wearing lycra shorts, but the jersey has big pockets)
    Long Range: DPMS .308 Suppressed

My wife is very understanding.
    Keith

I've had eighteen Glocks (9mm & 40 cal) and am very partial to them. I like the 40 cal Model 23 best.

I've had four Taurus Model 85s (.38 special). It can ride in the front pocket of cargo shorts all day without printing or making the shorts hang low on that side. It meets the most important criteria of any gun to me; it is there when I need it!

I'm not a big fan of shotguns for home defense, the barrel always enters a room before you do and its too easy to lose it in a wrestling match.

I thoroughly enjoy a Ruger 10/22 with a 4X Simmons scope. Plinking at marshmallows in a pond with a bank is a joy with it.
    Rock Cowles
    Kowulz Design Knife Dogs' Special
    Join us on facebook!
    KnifeDogs.com's Facebook Group
    "I antagonize almost everyone I meet. I think its a mirth defect." - Rock Cowles

H&R bolt-action 22LR, iron sights. Almost impossible to goof it up, mechanically. Can be fed by a 5-rd box magazine or one-at-a-time. It's not "sexy" or tactical or anything, but I know I can hit a Mason jar lid at 30 paces or less ("minute-of-stew-meat") and if some lunatic busts through my door I'm probably just as well off to either knock him upside the noggin with the butt, or grab a knife... pretty sure I got a knife around here somewhere...
    Last edited by James Terrio; 12-04-2010 at 02:46 AM.

What guns could you not give up?
    Any of them.

I have several in the same caliber and model that I would not give up.
    But to answer the, I think, intent of your question I am going to side with James on a bolt-action .22lr rifle.
    Mine would be my CZ Varmint .22lr. Simple, reliable, extremely accurate, and can be made quite if needed. It is one that I could get by with quite nicely until I could get to one of my others and/or acquire something else. And then would not give it up.

But on another note .45 holes let the stupid out really quick.
    I've been better , But I got over it.

Here is my list of cant do without, zombies are coming, end of time survival guns
    1. 1911 for close range or last ditch
    2. M1A (M14) For long range
    3. Pump action shotgun. Simple, effective defense.
    My buddies and I have this discussion all the time. I always go with these three basic weapons for a couple of reasons. One is they are tested and proven reliable and two, parts and ammo are readily available.

Sean
    "Aye God Woodrow, it ain't dyin' Im talkin about. Its livin'!"

You guys have some fun guns. Seems a lot of you guys are fond of your .22's I love the caliber myself. My favorite aspect is the economics of the round. I can always shoot as much of it as I want and I can keep a couple of thousand rounds on hand without breaking the bank. However, I have yet to acquire a .22lr firearm that I am in love with. Not to say that I haven't had a few that I enjoy shooting. I am not saying that it can't be done, as there are plenty of .22's out there that if I had I would indeed fall in love with.
    Allen

newberryknives.com

(formerly mrnewberry)

I would have to say my Brownig T-Bolt .22 that was my first gun and a gift from my father have had her 33 years. Then his High Standard 5.5 inch 107 Military .22 can keep her in an inch at 25 yards offhand. Then old school here but my S&W ported 629. Goes bang every time and if not pull the trigger again. My 870 that has been trhough hell and back in 12 gauge my AR-15 Colt variety finally my Ruger Express in 30/06. I hope that covers it but if not I can always find more in the safe Almost forgot my Allen Newberry Altoid Tinn knife around my neck!!!

I wont give up a gun unless its to buy another.

Quiet killer.......self camo'ed Remington 597, 22lr
    Running around the brush.........Winchester 94, 30-30
    When the 30-30 runs out of shells............Marlin 1894, 357 mag
    Its a cheap pistol but its what I got............... Hi-point, .40 s&w
    Scattergun...............Remington model 58, semi auto 12 ga
    My long range, slow loading, nail driver.................NEF, 22-250

Now there are alot more gun on my list to get but until then all I can do is stock up on ammo and hone my shooting skills.
    I do plan on getting more lever guns.
    Next on the list is a self built(for total accuracy and reliability) Mauser 98 or springfield 1903 sporterized with a .270 barrel, A Springfield XDm, or a lever gun in 45-70 caliber.
    Feel Free To Visit My Website, Ernie Swanson Knives

"Never, ever ever call a lady cop "Fatboy". ~ Rock Cowles

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast