Servicemember Knife Build "Recruiting Drive"

murphda2

Super Moderator and KD Blade Show Boss
Well for those of you who haven't followed the poll, a design has been chosen for the build. I'm very honored that my design was chosen for this. Tomorrow I will be adding a new drawing to this thread to better show the design. All angles, curves, and dimensions will be the same. I'm just going to clean it up a bit with finer lines.

Justin King had the vision to start this project and I have been throwing as much assistance as possible his way. The support that has been offered in the form of supplies and expense sharing has been absolutely AWESOME. On behalf of my fellow servicemembers I want to say "Thank You" to all who have offered to help. I would like to encourage all Knife Dogs to continue to support this effort in hopes that we may continue to drive it until it is no longer needed.

Now we start the next step in the process, recruiting makers to build these knives. I want to encourage all members who feel confident that they can complete the project to participate. The vision for this project is to put each knife made into the hands of a servicemember who is either in a hostile environment or in the process of heading into harms way.

Design as sent to Dave
KD Mil Spec.jpg

My concept drawing
KD%20Mil%20Spec%20Concept1.jpg
Now the question is......... Who's in?

(I have added the names from Justin's original thread)

1. Bill T.**
2. Rodney J.*!
3. Big Smitty/Possum Knifeworks**!
4. Randy Haas/HHH knives**!
5. Murphda2**
6. Nowicki*
7. Denny Eller**
8. Steve Janik**
9. Cal Harkins**
10. Justin King**
11. Carey Quinn**
12. Jerry Bond**
13. Gahagan**
14. Rudy Joly**
15. Les George**
16. Bill Coye**
17. SBuzek**!
18. Rusty McDonald**
19. Dave Curtis (GLWJ/CK)**
20. Iron Wolf
21. Josh Dabney**
22. Whiteeugene
23. G. Shahan**!
24. maxcutter03**
25. Doc Shiffer**
26. John Barker*
27. Mike Carter**!
28. Tune Up

Attachments

• KD Mil Spec Concept.jpg
    KD Mil Spec Concept.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Justin, Murph, I'm in.

I'll need some heat treat specs from someone experienced with A2 and a Service member to give the knife to.

-Josh

List has been updated. Thank you gentlemen.

The deadline for this project has not yet been established. I still have some e-mails out to in attempt to finish co-ordinating the details.

Looks like Aldo should send Dave some more A2 !!! All the Dogs are coming out to play !!!!!!

Justin, Murph, I'm in.

I'll need some heat treat specs from someone experienced with A2 and a Service member to give the knife to.

-Josh

We may have all the blades professionally HT'd, to insure some consistency. Whether we can get this done as a contribution, or will have to pay for it, remains to be seen. There are some details which are still up in the air at this time. There have been some offers for cash contrubutions already and although we have not accepted any yet, we may have to at some point.

Thanks to all of you who have stepped up, it warms my heart to see it.

One concern for this build is insuring that we have consistant heat treating of all blades for the project. I have been in touch with Brad at Peter's Heat Treat and he has graciously offered to heat treat all of the blades for this project free of charge. Thank you Brad. You are very gracious, sir.

Big Smitty was going to talk to someone about getting some Spec-Ops sheaths donated. I had tenatively planned to do a kydex rig for mine if all nothing else but I know not everyone will be able to do this. I could probably do sheaths for a few others but as Rudy has alluded to, the shipping issue could really start to bite us here. Suggestions are welcome.

Are we grinding after HT or sending them back and forth for finishing ?

Rudy

A2 is really fun to play with when annealed, not so much after HT. One of it's big advantages IMO is that it is HT'd in foil and usually quenched so as to have minimal warpage, so you can grind really close before HT. Personally, I would rather eat the cost of shipping to the heat treater myself than deal with grinding bevels after HT, but we have not really discussed this issue yet. As I said earlier, we have had offers for financial contributions but I am not accepting them at this time because I am not comfortable holding peoples money without a clear and immediate need for it. I am hoping that these contributors will step up when the shipping issue comes to the fore.

Last edited:
Big Smitty was going to talk to someone about getting some Spec-Ops sheaths donated. I had tenatively planned to do a kydex rig for mine if all nothing else but I know not everyone will be able to do this. I could probably do sheaths for a few others but as Rudy has alluded to, the shipping issue could really start to bite us here. Suggestions are welcome.

So if we are setup to do Kidex then we can do our own as long as we follow the general rule as to the color and connection points.
Also what about marking are we going to use a KnifeDogs.com mark on the presentation side and let the maker mark the other side or Vice-versa?

Back