MAP Arm Small Change Big Results

Tim Musselman

I've alway found that the tool arm of the map was hard to get out of the way when flat grinding longer blades. I had to set it up so I was only using the very top of the flat platen if I wanted clearance for my hand on the left side around the MAP tool arm.

MAP-Before.jpg
Before

So after looking at the set up it was clear that you could put the map receiver on the bottom of the mounting plate and lower the whole arm 5" now the only problem was that the tooling are wouldn't slide as far in because it was stopped by the drive shaft housing. As it turns out this isn't a problem I tried all the attachments; small wheel, 8" wheel, and rotary platen with no problems. It seems that the flat platten is the closest in and requires the arm move in the most and the only time it was a problem was if you set it up so the arm was totally straight which isn't an issue for me.

MAP-After-1.jpg
After

You can see how much lower the tooling arm is in the second picture it give me a whole lot more platen to work with and allows for more room on the left side of the map arm.

nice mod. I had not seen a close up picture of one those before. Michael made those pretty stout. It matches the KMG well.

I used the Rest in My friends shop and know exactly what you mean Tim. Nice mod.

You mean you wanted clearance when you where not using the work rest?

Les,

No it's for when I'm grinding flats the arm seems to get in the way of the left hand unless you have the rest pretty much as high as you can get it which then means you can only use the top part of the flat platten by moving the arm down it give access to more of the platen.

Back