Welcome to KnifeDogs

A Family Friendly Knife Oriented Community Founded For Knifemakers, Collectors, & Enthusiasts.

•  » Forums for individual knife dealers.
  •  » Forums for businesses supporting the knife industry.
  •  » Knife makers individual forums for visiting, support and sales.
  •  » Forums for knives.

...then you have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eli made me do it

Eli made me do it

I had a great weekend doing the show but the best part was getting to spend some time with Eli. My first contact with Eli was through forums and I got to know him better when he purchased a few knives which always seems to help. I'd invited him to come do Blade West with me and he was able to get it on his calender and do it. Eli also wanted to see my shop and I had told him we'd spend some time out there. While Eli was near one of my forges he'd happen to spot a piece of rebar I had started to forge a ball on to and asked what I was going to do with it. I told him I couldn't remember. Anyway that same piece of rebar caught my eye and this is what I have so far. I still need to do a little more forging on it but something was smoking under the forge so I stopped to put it out.

Eli and I spent sometime talking about rebar knives while we were at the show. Eli was wondering if I could do something a little fancier with the rebar. Ken Hurst came to mind. He's been after me for several months wanting me to make something he could engrave so this is going to be the project. I called Ken a little bit ago to see if this would be something he'd be interested in. He's said it sounds like beauty and the beast. He said he'd sure like to do it. I told them there still a chance I can screw things but its a go so far.

Here's some pictures I have taken along the way.

Last edited by Raymond Richard; 09-20-2009 at 11:14 AM.

I am excited about this one Ray --- I think this will be fun to watch unfold.

One thing does alarm me in this pic ---- why are your pants off???

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Richard View Post

Boy Ray, this piece is going to be a piece of work. I have sent you an email re. some design ideas I have regarding things that can be done to capture both the beauty & beast concept. IE. Forming the ball into many equal flats & forming the top (end of pummel) into a slight oval. This would allow for many repeat patterns that will surround the ball and also for an interesting top pattern all with gold borders if agreeded. I'd like to see a sharp line where the plunge (demarcation) begins so I can develop a scroll pattern that will travel along the spline towards the point. Another idea is, don't etch your name on blade. If spline is thick enough, I can inlay a gold ribbon and engrave your name there. Oh yeah, the flats of the handle can be brought to a high polish and I could do a nice scroll pattern within an oval that has a gold border --- this is no biggie BUT, what if I sculped all the scroll in high relief whereas all the leaves were cupped & rolling ? I could just go on and on however, lets hear what others think of the ideas . Boy oh boy oh boy, this could turn into something really eye catching !
    Ken Hurst
    Robersonville, N.C.
    910-221-5288

Hmmm, Very cool Ray. What steel is Re-Bar?
    Please Visit: www.stabberssteelconnection.com

Got Siska's

Ken, all of the above sound awesome!

Would it be actually carriable once engraved? I've been carrying a little rebar knife from Ray IWB, and the flats of the handle end us pressed against skin, so I have to be very careful about corrosion.

Quote Originally Posted by stabber View Post
    Hmmm, Very cool Ray. What steel is Re-Bar?
    Ricky, I've done many knives out of rebar over the years. I'll say its not the best but its a heck of a lot better than most think. I did have a piece tested a few years back and it was right around .40 carbon with every other alloy under the sun. I had done some chopping with one of the larger blades and it held up real well. I chopped threw 2 seasoned birch branches that were about 5" thick and the edge still shaved. It blew me away but I'm pretty easily impressed plus and I have real thin hair. Also the rebar that I am using now was gathered off of jobs I worked on back in the 90's. I've also heard an awful lot of railroad track is recycled into rebar. Most of that I hear is 1080. I don't think this piece when it is all done will ever be used anyway.

Ken, let me return your call. Lucky I just stopped forging on it when I did. I just widened the handle a bit more and was getting ready to do more forging on the blade but stopped to get the camera.

Eli, Lets hope this knife survives and doesn't make me alter my plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Eli Gautreaux View Post
    I am excited about this one Ray --- I think this will be fun to watch unfold.

One thing does alarm me in this pic ---- why are your pants off???
    Those pants are waiting for the 40's. I'll have them on in another month. unsure

Very cool Ray! Thanks for the info2thumbs
    Please Visit: www.stabberssteelconnection.com

Got Siska's

That is looking too cool Ray.cool 1 I like the whole handle design with the ball and how the ribs from the rebar are still on there. Will you leave those ribs on the handle or will they come off? If they stay on, and if it's do able, I think it would look really neat with some scroll work or a vine/leaf pattern or whatever engraved on those ribs. Anyways, that's my idea.

Ray,

You really are a man of inspiring ideas. That is a great looking knife, and it's only rough forged! Simple and elegant.

What diameter and length was the rebar piece you started with?

What are the dimensions of the blade right now?

Thanks,

Mike
    Mike

"Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in." Mark Twain

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast