Worlds best Which steel and why thread...

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
First, let's keep emotions in check. I can't figure out why a steel discussion mushrooms into a name calling contest but we won't be having that here. The moderators will moderate.

(Note, I did NOT ask which is better: forging or stock removal. Let's save that for another day -- like never.)

=====================================================
Easy one first, What is your favorite steel and why?

If you wanted a knife that the most important feature was edge retention and everything else came a distant second, which steel would you use?

If you wanted a knife that was the most corrosion resistant, which steel would you use?

If you wanted to make a small axes, hatchet or rescue tool, which steel would you use?

If you wanted the most shock resistant steel for a cutting edge, which steel would you use?

If you wanted the toughest steel for a folder, which steel would you use?
Would you use the same for a big fixed blade?
What about a typical hunter?

If you wanted the best all around "user" (think bushcraft) in a non-stainless steel, which would it be? What about stainless?

If you wanted the steel that polished up the best, which steel would you use?

What is the best steel to use for making a straight edge razor in carbon?
What is the best steel to use for making a straight edge razor in stainless?

If you were going to tell a beginning forging knife maker to use a steel, which steel would you recommend?

If you were going to tell a beginning stock removal knife maker to use a steel, which steel would you recommend?

Which steels are best to learn making damascus?

Which is the best steel for a thin fillet knife?

Which is the most economical carbon (forging) steel that makes a decent knife?

Which is the most economical stainless (stock removal) steel that makes a decent knife?

If you were going to make your own forging hammers, which steel is best for that?

Which carbon steels work best for the highest contrast in damascus?
How about stainless?

Which carbon steels work best for edge retention in damascus?
How about stainless, any different from above?

Which steel would you recommend for a Professional Chef for a kitchen knife?

Which steel would you recommend for your buddy to give to his wife as a kitchen knife?

======================================================

Did I miss anything?

If can answer any or all of these, have at it. Keep in mind someone else may (will) have a different opinion. Don't take that personally. It's an opinion just like yours.

If you can post any charts or other references, please do so.

Last edited:
My hands down favorite steel is CPM154.
It polishes like liquid mercury and takes very thin, sharp edge and holds it pretty darn good. It's fairly corrosion resistant but will flash rust if left warm and wet with a big grit finish when grinding. The better the finish, the more rust resistant it becomes.

Best small hatchet steel? I'm thinking S7. It's tough and will take some hammering.

That made my head hurt:D
I just use cpm154 for stainless and 1084 &15n20 for damascus.
Stan

I am still a newbie , but you asked for opinions , and here is mine.

I think Ed Fowler has found the perfect steel , 52100. I have some that I've been grinding on and it grinds very easy. From what I hear and the research he and his "partner" have put into it , I think its the best.
If you wanted a knife that the most important feature was edge retention and everything else came a distant second, which steel would you use?

If you wanted to make a small axes, hatchet or rescue tool, which steel would you use?

If you were going to tell a beginning stock removal knife maker to use a steel, which steel would you recommend?
1095 , the heat treat is easy and I think it makes a great knife, and its relatively cheap

======================================================
I was using ATS-34 SS and I quit using stainless all together. I found it doesn't hold an edge as well as the 1095 I was using , during chopping tests I was trying. But as I said earlier I'm still a newbie at this.

That made my head hurt:D
I just use cpm154 for stainless and 1084 &15n20 for damascus.
Stan

I was going to say 1084 and 15n20 for beginner and all around damascus. It's just a good combination that has stood the test of time...

If I could only ever use one stainless for knives it would likely be the Hitachi 440C rolled in bar stock. It is extremely clean and finishes flawless for a collector quality knife but it must be on the high end of the carbon because it holds a superb edge equal to any ATS34 or 154CM. It has better corrosion resistance than any other stainless I've used. I've got hunting knives in the field with this that has been out there running against comparable knives of CPM154 and you can't tell that one outperforms the other. Since it's so much cleaner and finishes better than CPM154 and the corrosion resistance is so good it is the steel that covers all the bases the best from a work knife to a show knife. (Or a show knife that works)

Now, all that said the Carpenter 40CP I've been experimenting with has all the same qualities and even though the jury is still out it is very impressive. This steel is a powdered 440C.

The Carpenter XHP is better edge holding but since the 40CP finishes better and still holds an extremely good edge it is the better balance for a steel that covers the bases for a user and making a collector knife. If Carpenter steel availability gets worked out better these will likely be my main two steels to use.

I like CPM154 but I have had so many bad experiences with Crucibles CPM steels having small blemishes in them after final polishing that I'm a little perturbed with it.

Even though I am just now experimenting with it myself I would have to think hard about CPM M4. There is a reason it is pretty much dominating the cutting competitions. Is anyone using 52100 on competition cutters? I know it is tough because it's a ball bearing steel but M4 is used to make things that 'cut' other steel.

Thats a lot of questions to think about.

If I had to give a "make a long story short" answer it would be:

Non stainless/Carbon - A2

Stainless - (don't laugh. please) 420HC.

I'll put some thought into all of the questions and give a more in depth answer later.

No short answer and I think each should have more qualiifications LIST:
My favorite steel is CPM154- EASE OF GRINDING - POLISHING - LATERAL STRENGTH
S60V
440C
L6
cpm154
yes
yes
D2
RWL34
CPM154
BEGINNER-1084
STOCK REMOVAL-CPM154
1084 and 15n20
cpm154 for a filet knife
440C
H-13
1095-15N20
PMC27-RWL34
CPM154
440C
YES i have more of the CPM154 than any other answers But I also have a bunch of 1980's ATS34 that I would put up as a close second to the CPM.

Just my opinion

Boss Dog you need to put some baking powder in with the soap in your cooling water- it will cut down on your flash rust.

Last edited:
I haven't seen anyone chime in regarding one of Chris Reeves (among others) faves;
S30V
anyone have experienced pro's and cons regarding this steel?
And,same with with 5160...
(In terms of working with,and using knives made from them,I have no experience with either of these...yet)
Thanks!

I had occassion to use some S30V on several folding knife blades just recently. I'm still wondering if it's worth the trouble of working it. It certainly demands more work time. I did have the blades heat treated by a quality involved shop which is KnifeMaker.ca. Some of the blades show some linear graining which to me is not a sign of quality, and some which I did go to polishing on never would give a consistent finish over all of the blade even after trying several different types of polish. On the other hand I also worked some blades in 154CM that worked and finished up both in a satin and polished finish very well. I won't be buying any more S30V. Frank

Big Blade Chopper (no budget) CPM M4 without question

Big blade Chopper (budget) 5160

Regular hunting knife (no budget) CPM m4

Regular Hunting knife (budget) 1095 or 1084

Small EDC (no budget) CPM m4 or CPM 3v

Small EDC (no budget stainless) CPM 154

Small edc (budget) 1095 or 1084

hatchet = S7

Stainless? CPM 154 without fail

budget stainless 12c27 or 440C with good HT if large blade is needed

Steel for Noobs?? 1084 or 5160 for ease of HT

If I ever get get me a press and I start working on damascus, then 1084 and 15n20 are fine

Big Blade Chopper (no budget) CPM M4 without question

Big blade Chopper (budget) 5160

Regular hunting knife (no budget) CPM m4

Regular Hunting knife (budget) 1095 or 1084

Small EDC (no budget) CPM m4 or CPM 3v

Small EDC (no budget stainless) CPM 154

Small edc (budget) 1095 or 1084

hatchet = S7

Stainless? CPM 154 without fail

budget stainless 12c27 or 440C with good HT if large blade is needed

Steel for Noobs?? 1084 or 5160 for ease of HT

If I ever get get me a press and I start working on damascus, then 1084 and 15n20 are fine

I like the budget/no limits approach..

Now, keep in mind that I have been out of the game for a bit and haven't been watching the replays, but I'll answer a few of these...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Easy one first, What is your favorite steel and why? O1 since it is forgiving and I can quench in oil. Dunno why, but I LOVE how a blade sounds when it hits the oil for HT!

If you wanted a knife that the most important feature was edge retention and everything else came a distant second, which steel would you use? O1 since that is almost ALL I have used! Unless you count the files, springs, lawnmower blades, and other stuff from the farm and scrap pile! Yeah, I need to experiment a bit... Give me a little time to get back into the swing! LOL

If you wanted a knife that was the most corrosion resistant, which steel would you use? 440 stainless for sure. I did a few blades in 440 and loved it. One was a fillet knife that has been to the coast MANY times and has only been cleaned a FEW times... Still going strong and shiny too. Not sure of the exact breed of the 440 since it was given to me way back when.

If you were going to tell a beginning stock removal knife maker to use a steel, which steel would you recommend? I would say O1 since it is pretty forgiving, not too hard, and works well enough for stock removal.

Which steels are best to learn making damascus? I called my brother-in-law to ask and he didn't answer. He is the forger in the family and I envy his artistic abilities a LOT! :eek:

Which is the best steel for a thin fillet knife? I'd go 440 since that is what I have used before.

Which steel would you recommend for a Professional Chef for a kitchen knife? Not sure what I would recommend to a pro, but I have a chef's type of knife I made in the late 80s that is carbon steel and is still in use. BUT, it gets cleaned RIGHT after use, and I am the ONLY person allowed to use it. Yep, it has a defined "patina" to it, and YES, it will rust if not used or oiled for a while, but it will shave and slice maters each time I pick her up!.

Which steel would you recommend for your buddy to give to his wife as a kitchen knife? Stainless unless she is GOOD about knife care...

Charlie

=====================================================

--wootz crucible steel or W1/15n20 patternweld-- has a nice pattern on the steel to look at

---- O1 or 52100.. very nice for that

If you wanted a knife that was the most corrosion resistant, which steel would you use?

--- cpm D2 ... stainless is the last quality i look for in a steel... very low on the list

5160 or wrought with 1095 bit

If you wanted the most shock resistant steel for a cutting edge, which steel would you use?

L6 champalloy

If you wanted the toughest steel for a folder, which steel would you use?
Would you use the same for a big fixed blade?
What about a typical hunter?

1084 , good all around

If you wanted the best all around "user" (think bushcraft) in a non-stainless steel, which would it be? What about stainless?

---1095 or w2 is very nice ..... no use for stainless unless its guard material

If you wanted the steel that polished up the best, which steel would you use?
---52100 polishes very nicely

What is the best steel to use for making a straight edge razor in carbon?
What is the best steel to use for making a straight edge razor in stainless?

1084 or w1 makes a super razor.. ... excellent matter of fact

If you were going to tell a beginning forging knife maker to use a steel, which steel would you recommend?

1065,1070, 1084 same for both stock removal and forging

Which steels are best to learn making damascus?

w1/15n20 or 1084/15n20 is by far the best for etching... but for ease of welding it would be 1050, 1084, 1095

Which is the most economical carbon (forging) steel that makes a decent knife?

W1

Which is the most economical stainless (stock removal) steel that makes a decent knife?

cpm D2

If you were going to make your own forging hammers, which steel is best for that?

5160 or 1084

Which carbon steels work best for the highest contrast in damascus?
How about stainless?

15n20

Which carbon steels work best for edge retention in damascus?
How about stainless, any different from above?

L6/O1 mix is very good for edge but not a friendly mix to grind or drill

Which steel would you recommend for a Professional Chef for a kitchen knife?

cpm D2 or 1095 with wrought san mai

Which steel would you recommend for your buddy to give to his wife as a kitchen knife?

a Walmart stainless serrated plastic handle knife.... it'll stay shiny for a long time

Holy can of worms, Batman! :D I'll give it a shot...

favorite steel... Do I have to pick just one?!? Ok... cpmD2 for a good combination of edge-holding and sharpenability

edge retention: cpm3v

corrosion resistant: cpm154, there may be better ones for that but I haven't worked with them

small axes, hatchet or rescue tool/shock resistant/toughest: cpm3v, for all three

all around "user" (think bushcraft), non-stainless: O1 What about stainless? cpm154

If you wanted the steel that polished up the best, which steel would you use? cpm154

What is the best steel to use for making a straight edge razor in carbon? O1
What is the best steel to use for making a straight edge razor in stainless? cpm154

beginning forging : lawnmower blades... just kidding! 1084

beginning stock removal : cpm154, why not? it grinds about as easy as anything else

Which is the best steel for a thin fillet knife? cpm154

Which is the most economical carbon (forging) steel that makes a decent knife? 1084

Which is the most economical stainless (stock removal) steel that makes a decent knife? 440c can be found fairly cheap

Which steel would you recommend for a Professional Chef for a kitchen knife? hmmm... one of the somewhat higher-alloy carbon steels, maybe 52100

Which steel would you recommend for your buddy to give to his wife as a kitchen knife? cpm154

I skipped a bunch because I just don't know. My answers are the ones I'd use based on a lot of reading and some experience. They're all readily available, have been used a lot with great success, and it's easy to find out how they should be heat-treated.

thread moved to Shop talk forum

Cryo treatment data..

Attachments

• Sub-zeroTreatment_final.pdf
    585.6 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Back