Blade etching my way - Pics heavy

mosto

I'm new to this forum but I want to spread some more to you.
This is an old tutorial made elsewhere...

This is time to show how to make some balde etching without spending a lot. A cheapskate etching! Works for sure!:D

And if it works perfectly on a very nice stainless steel I suppose it works perfectly for every kinda of work.
My inspiration was yesterday when I disgorged my bath tub and using the liquid acid it stained all aruond my stainless ware...

So that's my way: it is simple, very effective and gives quite nice results with a minimum effort. If I do this results I think that every one can give the same results easily.

Please use every precautions since I'm using diluted acid, at least wear safety goggles.

Here it is my very complex electric equipment
A 9v battery, two crocs clips and some wire taken from old loudspeakers. All of this was securely taped so i don't need to soldier at all. If you can use a soldering gun it's better.

myetching_01.jpg

Since I was a pro designer I have easy access on plotters and cutted adhesives. So first I designed with a vector software my logo that I use also for leather ware and I had to send it in factory. They did a very good job also me and this is my adhesive that I stick on the blade.

For this time I choosed a positive etch.

myetching_02.jpg

That's my fluid chosen for etching. A very cheap liquid disgorger. I read it the chemical composition: it is sulphuric acid in 90%. It is right this enough to stain every steel I suppose...
It is okay also to use salted water or battery acid that you can buy just about everywhere. Cheap!

myetching_03.jpg

This time I will use it in few drops diluted in some few ml of water: it is less dangerous and it is still effective since it is passed by DC current from my 9v battery. Those are my remembers of chemicals when I was a painting restorer.

myetching_04.jpg

So I sticked some masking tape previously touched several times with my fingers to loose some stickyness. It is better so not to stick too much the adhesive tape

myetching_05.jpg

I carefully apply on the blade the adhesive being careful to attach also the small parts of vinyl sticker...

myetching_06.jpg

I carefully mask all around. I'm sorry that I don't have some american tape i think it will be better.
I clipped one croc on the tang of the blade and the other croc holds the cotton(or paper) bud.
So, I dipped inside the solution the cotton bud and i tipped. The steel is going darker and i hear some bubbling. Also I can smell hydrogen... yeah mates it works... nice!

myetching_07.jpg

This is the final result after 2 minutes of tipping: the acid stained a bit and ate the stainless steel: it is something 0,2 mm deep but i think it is enough since i will not touch anymore the blade since further working for the handles...

myetching_08.jpg

This is a macro photo just after this treatment and with a short polishing with plain paper

myetching_09.jpg

Here I'm polishing with very fine paste used by car body repair

myetching_10.jpg

This is the final result after the final polishing. It shines. And I clearly see the acid that ate the metal with fine bubbles engraving. The look is almost professional and the result is very pleasing I suppose.

myetching_11.jpg

Obviously with this method you can etch any other steel (carbon or stainless doesn't matter) or metal. :cool:

Some other tips:
you can use acid from old batteries or salt water. This time I used a cheap 9v battery. But you can use old battery charger from mobile phones, a wireless drill battery, any old battery charger with more than (v and with some milliamperes.

Feel free to ask if needed some more hints but it's easy and worth to try!
:bud:

Cheers!

good one, we need more low tech/low cost tutorials like this.

Do you think muriatic acid would work well using this method?

Do you think muriatic acid would work well using this method?

My guess would be no. The acid will etch the steel all by itself and there is no need for power. If it soaks under the stencil, you would get a big blob and not a logo.

great tutorial!!
i wanted to try etching but didnt want to spend alot as a start

thanks again mosto

I have done the exact same process with salt water, and I can say that it works just fine. If you have an extra car battery handy, great! but if not, there is still hope with the salt water.

Great tutorial, thank you for this!

I have done the exact same process with salt water, and I can say that it works just fine. If you have an extra car battery handy, great! but if not, there is still hope with the salt water.

Great tutorial, thank you for this!

what was the ratio or mixture of saltwater you used?

I use white vinegar as an etching solution, powered by a 12 volt automobile battery charger.

Back