Washers in a Sodbuster

K R Johnson

A while back someone asked me how I install washers in shadow pattern slipjoints so here's my method.....

In this picture you can see that the milled liners and .125" black Micarta scale material are glued together. The .250" brass rod is center drilled 3/32" and on the spot on the side that's blackened with a Sharpie, I marked it with my caliper .060" from the end I faced in the lathe. I saw off two pieces for the washers just a little longer than .060".
P1020540.jpg

I chuck the tap in the milling machine and use the pointed end to center the pivot hole and clamp the liner and scale in place.
P1020541.jpg

After clamping I replace the tap with a 1/4" end mill, rest the end mill on the scale and clamp the quill. I set the dial on the table at zero
P1020543.jpg

and mill a pocket for the washer about .005" shallower than the thickness of the washers.
P1020544.jpg

P1020545.jpg

I then mill the other scale,
P1020546.jpg

glue the washers in place with Loctite 330, center them again with the tap, and mill (or grind) them flush with the Micarta.
P1020547.jpg

Here's how the brass washers look with a 3/32" stainless pin installed.
P1020560.jpg

Additional comments:
Before cutting the washer off the rod, chamfer the edge a tiny bit, it will go in the hole easier.
I now surface grind the washers to make them the same thickness after I cut them off the rod, measure them and bore the hole to that exact depth. Glue and press them in and they'll be flush with the surface of the handle material.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tutorial. Excellent presentation. I would just add if you don't have a lathe here is a way to drill the center hole in the rod used for the washer. http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?t=6294

I might have to try the loctite out though. I have been using super glue and it doesn't hold that well. Do you use loctite to hold your handles and liners together as well?

Alistair

Yup, I use Loctite 330 for the liners & scales. I also use it for holding things temporarily for drilling, etc., but you sometimes have to use a propane torch to get it to release if you use too much.

"Thanks for the tutorial. Excellent presentation. I would just add if you don't have a lathe here is a way to drill the center hole in the rod used for the washer. http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?t=6294"

That's a good trick you posted. I'd read that before and forgotten about it.

Last edited:
Most excellent... this will help with the 5 Sodbuster type I have in progress.... this part left me scratching my head ( among other steps as well ).

Thanks!

Back