Grind Ins & Shop Tours

Hey, Rock. I'm in South Carolina too. Not too far from you in Simpsonville. I'm a relatively new maker, although I've been studying this obsession for a good while. I've been lurking on this site since it's beginning but I just joined a few minutes ago.
I like your idea about meeting other makers in the area. I have met several in the Upstate and there are quite a few more. Some of them will be at the annual show in May. It's in Spartanburg so you should make plans to go.

I think we should have a Carolina meetup someday.

There's a show in Spartanburg? I'm still knew to all of this, so I don't know the shows - I'm a gun guy first. I could probably make that one. Details?

I'm in Sumter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, the show is in Wellford at the Mid-City Shrine Club on Fort Prince Boulevard (highway 129) exit 68 on I85. *You go north on 129 and look for the signs on the left. *May 7 and 8. *The Palmetto Cutlery Club puts the show on each year. *http://www.palmettocutleryclub.org/

This is a little show. On the site, you will see some pictures from previous shows. *I don't see an announcement for this year's show, but the listing is in the new Blade, which came in the mail today. *Jerry Riddle is always first on the right as you go in. *Super nice fellow....collector who loves to talk knives. *He's listed as the contact.

Anyway, there will be some makers at the show as well as collectors. *Eddie Elsmore, Richard Smith, Lonnie Jones, Jerry Hendrix are some of the ones I've talked with there. *I've seen Claude Montjoy there once, but I didn't get to talk to him. This show is more of a production type show than for makers, but there are usually a few makers involved.

Also, this is the link to South Carolina's knifemaker association. *http://www.knifemakercentral.com/ You can see just how many makers there are in SC that have joined this organization. They don't seem to be nearly as active as the ones in Georgia and North Carolina.

Rock,

Funny that I saw this post! I actually ran into your dad at the Michigan antique arms show at the Rock Financial Showplace in Feb. I had been looking for local makers in Michigan but most of them are on the west side of the state or very north. The only one close to me was your dad. I used to live about 1/2 mile from him. Then I moved about 8 miles north and now live in Bloomfield.

I talked to him for a little while but thought it would be over stepping bounds to ask to see his shop. He was VERY nice and informative and took the time to answer what to him were probably very basic questions about knife making.

It would be a great privilege to see him in action. Or if he knows of any other SE MI makers that would be willing to let a enthusiastic new knife maker into their midst I would be so overjoyed. There is only so much you can learn from reading a stack of books on how to make a knife and researching on great forums like this one2thumbs

Later,
Nathan W
nathanwloch@hotmail.com

Alan Folts Keeps an "open Shop" for guy that want to come and check out knife making. I share his shop and don't like to speak for him. normally if you contact him and see what his schedule is. If you want his contact number check his web site out www.foltsknives.com) or PM me and ill give it to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back