PDA

View Full Version : Hand hammered "Basket weave" damascus

HHH Knives
05-17-2010, 04:38 PM
A few months ago Randy Jr. Joined me in the shop.. I think I have told this story B4.. But will again..

Hes 19 years old and has a passion for making damascus and forging steel. Its been a great adventure.. And he is learning alot... Sort of a trial by fire.. :) as neither of us have ever done any forging.. Its been on my list of things to do for years. yet somehow it didnt happen till now..

As a Dad, I am proud of all my kids, Yet having Jr in the shop watching him learn and grow.. I dont think I have ever been prouder!

He has created a grand total of 4 billets.. all with hammer and anvil.. The first couple were nice.. Real nice! but after watching some of the Bruce Bump WIP or tutorials.. on making pattern damascus.. (A special thank you, to Bruce.. you are a awesome craftsman with mad skills!) I challenged Jr to try and make a billet of hand hammered basket weave damascus!

It was a real challenge to do this pattern. beings we dont have a press! or trip hammers.. Its crazy that we even tried.. But Jr is young and Im crazy! lol

Enough talk, Heres the resulting billet and the blade ground from it..

Again Thanks to Bruce and everyone on KD who has posted a WIP or tutoral.. This site and the guys and gals on here are the best! Thank you..

Im not sure this is posted in the right forum. If not, Please move to appropriate location. Thanks

Billy Helton
05-17-2010, 05:48 PM
Well I got to say that pattern is really cool looking, But then you had to go and say you guys hand hammered the billet. That changes every thing,THAT BILLET IS FREAKING AWSOME. My hats off to you and JR. I dont say Im impressed to often but here it goes IM IMPRESSED Great Job

D.Douglas
05-17-2010, 05:59 PM
Thats awesome Randy! Tell jr to use some icy hot on those muscles .LOL

Kevin Cross
05-17-2010, 06:01 PM
Man, I hope you guys had fun, cause I know you worked hard! That turned out BEAUTIFUL.

Rudy Joly
05-17-2010, 06:44 PM
That is impressive, all by hand....great job.
Feather next ?

Rudy

Denny Eller
05-17-2010, 07:01 PM
You two fellers do some fine work together.

misskim
05-17-2010, 07:36 PM
You two should be very proud of your work. I think the pattern is very artistic!

Bruce Bump
05-17-2010, 07:52 PM
You two did an amazing job for not having done this before. Happy to have a part in this one. I'm like a proud papa!

HHH Knives
05-17-2010, 07:55 PM
Thanks everyone. Yep he worked his butt of to make this one! hehehe..
Believe it or not we were talking about trying a feather pattern in the near future..
Then, who knows I may spring for a press..

We are sure havin fun!!!

Again, Thanks for the comments, and kind words..
Randy

HHH Knives
05-17-2010, 07:58 PM
You two did an amazing job for not having done this before. Happy to have a part in this one. I'm like a proud papa!

Bruce, or should I say.. Papa Bump? :) You should be.. I know this blade wouldn't of happened without your tutorial/WIP.. Thanks you for all the time and efforts to make these for us dogs!
My hats off to ya!

God bless YA!!

Randy

Allen Newberry
05-17-2010, 09:03 PM
I like it! I recently did a less complicated billet of damascus by hand so I have some respect for the amount of work that went into that blade.

h0tr0d
05-17-2010, 09:25 PM
my elbow is hurting from how beautiful this billet is and how much work went into it!

HHH Knives
05-18-2010, 09:07 AM
LOL I kinda thought that some of the pounders would appreciate this one! lol Thanks for the comments!

We are laying down the "plans" to try a low layer count feather pattern..

Stew
05-18-2010, 12:02 PM
Awesome billet and fantastic blade shape too!

Be good to see that one again when it's finished.

HHH Knives
05-18-2010, 07:07 PM
Thanks Stew, Im calling it a dress tactical.. Thinking of using ivory marcarta and may even add some scrimshaw.. If Im feeling it!

I will post pics for sure!

Rock
05-18-2010, 07:14 PM
Very nice, boys!

N.D.
05-20-2010, 06:10 PM
All I can say is bouncewow1just bouncewow1winner2!!! 2thumbs

Bennie Lovejoy
05-20-2010, 08:54 PM
That is awsome .

HHH Knives
05-30-2010, 02:31 PM
Thanks everyone! Im happy to say I got it handled! I used Ivory marcarta.. trying to keep with the tactical shape of the blade.. and its nice! smooth as glass! But its still missing somthin.. ??

So Im thinking of adding some scrimshaw to the handle to give it that little something extra!

I will post up some pics as soon as I can of the progress so far!

Have a great weekend!!

God bless or veterans and service men and woman!!!

Bruce Bump
05-31-2010, 09:02 AM
Bruce, or should I say.. Papa Bump? :) You should be.. I know this blade wouldn't of happened without your tutorial/WIP.. Thanks you for all the time and efforts to make these for us dogs!
My hats off to ya!

God bless YA!!

Randy

Thanks again Randy
My tutorials are fun to do and its cool to see people come back over and over. This forums has the nicest bunch of people anywhere.

Ronald P. Rochon
06-02-2010, 02:25 AM
wow!!!

HHH Knives
06-03-2010, 08:33 PM
Hello, Its taken me a few weeks... But I finaly have it done! :P

Im calling it TactiCOOL! lol

I added Ivory Mircarta scales and a Ebony cross inlay, with mosaic pins and gimping on the top for traction!

Thanks again to Mr Bruce Bump, for all the great posts and WIP's and thanks to everyone for the kind words of encouragement!

God Bless,
Randy Haas

N.D.
06-08-2010, 07:55 PM
Very sweet as always HHH!

calharkins
06-13-2010, 04:11 AM
Really awesome!!!! Who says you have to have a power hammer to make basket weave damascus. This is a hard earned piece of art. Determination and perseverance go a long way. It is a shame that so many young people don't have them any more. My hat is off to you Jr. Keep that up and you will go far.

deker
06-15-2010, 07:27 AM
That is fantastic work! Not only is it an excellent first mosaic, but the fact that it's hand hammered makes it purely extraordinary. Do yourself and Jr. a favor and don't you dare sell that knife. That type of effort and craftsmanship should be kept as a reminder. Once you have a press or hammer (face it, it's going to happen at this point, don't even try to fight it... :) ) make plenty more to sell, but this one should be a keeper.

-d

HHH Knives
07-23-2010, 02:51 PM
A prouder popa you couldn't find! again I want to say, Thanks to Bruce Bump for taking the time to post up tutorials..

HHH Knives
07-23-2010, 02:57 PM
(face it, it's going to happen at this point, don't even try to fight it... :) ) make plenty more to sell, but this one should be a keeper.

-d

Deker, You are right on that.. I just ordered a press this week!!! cool 1 :D
Should have it in delivered in a few weeks! Im so excited I cant even begin to describe the JOY!!!!!!!!!

Main thing is we are having a BLAST! This is, without a doubt the coolest and most rewarding! Not to mention ADDICTING :p thing I have ever done!

Thanks for the comment and looking at our work.
Randy

LR Adkins
07-24-2010, 10:19 AM
Randy, that knife is awesome.

My arm hurts just thinking of the work that went into that blade. You and your son did a great job. Thanks for sharing your excitment and work.

Larry

HHH Knives
08-10-2010, 12:44 PM
LOL Larry, Thats just to funny! Jr said Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and comments!

HHH Knives
08-19-2010, 06:43 PM
Deker, You are right on that.. I just ordered a press this week!!! cool 1 :D
Should have it in delivered in a few weeks! Im so excited I cant even begin to describe the JOY!!!!!!!!!

Main thing is we are having a BLAST! This is, without a doubt the coolest and most rewarding! Not to mention ADDICTING :p thing I have ever done!

Thanks for the comment and looking at our work.
Randy

Deker, I just got a call from Fed X!!! The new press is on the truck and will be delivered tomorrow!

I cant remember being more excited about a delivery sense my wife gave birth to my youngest son Hunter!! lol

God Bless you and yours.
Randy