PDA

View Full Version : Giveaway for New Makers!

James Terrio
05-06-2010, 03:23 PM
I've put this little kit together as a way to show my gratitude to everyone on this forum, and to help a person who wants to make their own knife but doesn't want to invest a bunch in materials and tools.

Here's your chance! Post here with "I'm in" and your post number will be entered in the drawing. I'll use random.org to pick the winning number on May 15th, 2010, at 6PM CST.

Other posts/suggestions/comments are welcome in this thread; only the posts including "I'm in" will be eligible for the drawing. If a non-eligible post number wins the random drawing, I'll redo it until an eligible "I'm in" post number comes up. Sound fair?

Please don't say "I'm in" unless you actually want to make a knife!

Shipping is on me in the continental US. If you win but live elsewhere, I'm sure we can work something out.

This is the prize: one 8 1/4" piece of 1080 high-carbon steel barstock, one pair of birdseye maple scales, a couple pieces of brass pinstock and tubing, a small c-clamp, a new Nicholson file, and an assortment of sandpaper. Almost everything you need to make a handy EDC or hunting knife!

The winner will need to scrounge up some epoxy, a drill/bits, oil/varnish and/or stain to finish the handle. I'll provide links and info for how to make it happen.

Update: Stan Buzek (http://sbuzekknives.angelfire.com/) has graciously volunteered to provide the heat-treating!! Shape your blade, file the bevels, drill all holes and send it to him. He'll HT it and send it back to you so you can polish it up and put the handles on. Thanks Stan! :)

Update: Jeff Pearce (http://stores.ebay.com/J-S-LANYARDS-AND-MORE) has added a free custom lanyard to the kit! When the winner is picked, I'll send him your address so he can send it directly to you. Thanks Jeff! :)

Update: Archer Moon has donated a handmade maple bead for the lanyard! Thanks buddy!

Good luck, and thank you KnifeDogs for giving us a chance to help someone! 2thumbs

We Have a Winner!! post #34, Precise has won the kit. Congratulations!

Denny Eller
05-06-2010, 03:40 PM
I'm in and thank you for the opportunity, James.

pugsrok
05-06-2010, 03:47 PM
I am in :D Thanks!

Could use a boost after melting my knife.

pocomoonskyeyes
05-06-2010, 04:06 PM
"I'm Out" !! But Thanks anyway James!! I have everything but the 1080 steel.

James Terrio
05-06-2010, 04:31 PM
Rock on boys, and good luck! Call your friends, let's get a few more unsuspecting people hooked on making knives :D

HHH Knives
05-06-2010, 04:36 PM
James, Thats awesmoe of ya. I agree once you make one knife, YOU HOOKED!
this is a great idea, I like it..

God Bless YA!

Wloch248
05-06-2010, 04:51 PM
I'm in. The generosity of everyone involved in knife making still blows me away! Thanks!

bjtiger75
05-06-2010, 04:58 PM
I'm in. Thanks for the chance.

BJ

wdtorque
05-06-2010, 05:09 PM
I'm in. Preciate the opportunity. Dozier

KB1SYV
05-06-2010, 05:23 PM
I'm in James, thank you for opportunity. God knows, I wouldn't be making mistakes while trying to create a knife if it wasn't for generous people like you to get me started with some steel. Hard to get around these day's, but filing is relaxing!:confused:huh1

Jeff

Mudboy
05-06-2010, 06:36 PM
I'm in. Thanks. David Lande

lynamb
05-06-2010, 07:06 PM
i'm in and thanks

Bob Warner
05-06-2010, 07:27 PM
Great idea. Glad you did this, someone will get a good start with this kit.

Archer Moon
05-06-2010, 07:38 PM
I am in. I like to play these games. I think this is a great idea!

Chris Martin
05-06-2010, 08:58 PM
James,

I just wanted to say this is very cool of you buddy.

Do not consider this an entry...I have been very spoiled over the past several months.

I just wanted to give you 2thumbs and wish everyone luck.

Cool deal you are doing here bud.:D

Chris

VaughnT
05-06-2010, 09:00 PM
I'm most definitely not in. I have all that stuff and would much rather see it go to some kid out there that's game to give it a whirl.

Thank you, though, for stepping up in such a unique way. Says a lot about you.

CDHumiston
05-06-2010, 09:15 PM
James,

This is an awesome gesture and another reason I hang out here with such quality people. I am NOT in on this one, but I have to say thanks for stepping up and trying to help out the new/prospective makers.

mxlj
05-06-2010, 09:45 PM
wow, what a great offer. If i may, im in.

Tiger65x55
05-06-2010, 10:35 PM
My first post here but I have been lurking as a non-member for a little while.
I'm in!!
Thanks for the opportunity,
Tiger

Iceman
05-06-2010, 11:18 PM
I'm in. Thanks, this is awesome. 2thumbs

Rock
05-06-2010, 11:40 PM
Ahhh, crap, there goes the last of my excuses. I'm in. Does it come with a pink lunchbox or does the winner have to buy their own?

Thanks, James!

James Terrio
05-07-2010, 01:44 AM
bwahaha you got the wrong guy if you're lookin' for a pink lunchbox! I'm a brown-paper-bag kinda fella. :D

Glad to see we're getting a good response here. I just figured it was my turn to chip in and help someone.

Teaser... a little bird told me we may have someone willing to help out with heat-treating!

Rock
05-07-2010, 02:48 AM
I got my tools. I'm ready now!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/Kowulz/pinkboxtools.jpg

James Terrio
05-07-2010, 03:08 AM
You big goofball... I laughed so hard I woke up the cats :D

SBuzek
05-07-2010, 02:24 PM
I have talked with James and he has OK'd this.
When the knife is ready for H/T the winner can mail it to me and I will do the H/T on the blade and cover return postage.
Just my little part of a good idea.
Stan

Rock
05-07-2010, 04:48 PM
Very kind of you, Stan!

2thumbs

James Terrio
05-08-2010, 07:08 AM
Thank you Stan!

Archer Moon
05-08-2010, 07:28 AM
This is great. One of the many reasons I keep coming back to this site. Every body is very giving and helpful.
Many thanks to everybody!

Silversage
05-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Please count me in:)

James Terrio
05-08-2010, 07:18 PM
You're in, Silversage!

Bladewarrior
05-08-2010, 09:38 PM
I'm in :) Very much appreciated, thanks

James Terrio
05-08-2010, 10:49 PM
Welcome to the fun, Bladewarrior. The list of "I'm in's" is updated daily.

If y'all know anyone who's interested in making a knife, kick 'em in the butt -- I mean, pat 'em on the shoulder and get 'em to register with KnifeDogs.com so they can sign up. Call your friends folks, there's still almost a week till the drawing.

Thanks to all for your interest and support! :)

James Terrio
05-09-2010, 07:29 PM
Update!

A member here asked me a darn good question... "what if the winner doesn't have a good drill?"

Well, we got that covered folks. :D

If you win, you got a couple choices...

1) do your own drilling in the tang and handle slabs if you can

or...

2) let me know what your basic profile will be, and I'll drill the tang and slabs for you. I'll leave plenty of room so you can shape the tang and scales how you want.

Same goes for basic profiling of the blade... I'll be honest, filing a profile takes awhile. If you win and don't have a good drill/hacksaw/etc, let me know what style blade you want, and I'll cut it fairly close. That will save you some time and give you some "wiggle-room" to make it the way you want.

Regardless, I'll provide links, tutorials and tips to show you how to make it all happen.

The winner will still have to file the bevels, and mount/shape/assemble the handles! This takes work and care. That's the whole idea... you gonna work yer butt off if you win this kit, but the finished product will be YOURS! Elbow-grease and sweat-equity, baby!

If you win and finish the project, I promise you'll never regret it :)

Precise
05-10-2010, 06:00 PM
I'm in.

rpaladin
05-10-2010, 08:55 PM
Thanks guy, I'm in...

DropPoint
05-10-2010, 09:49 PM
This is incredible. Your generosity is awesome...

Ok I'm in ... in spite of my lurker nature I will do my best to contribute more.

Jeff Pearce
05-10-2010, 10:21 PM
I will donate a paracord knife lanyard to the winner. just let me know what colors you want.

Keith Willis
05-11-2010, 04:34 AM
I've been watching this post,but want to say.....Good on ya James,for doing this.
If anyone is wanting to make a knife,here's your chance.
Thanks to James,Stan and Jeff,you'll never make one any cheaper.

God bless,Keith

James Terrio
05-11-2010, 05:45 AM
I will donate a paracord knife lanyard to the winner. just let me know what colors you want.

Thanks Jeff! I'll forward the winner's address to you when the time comes so you can mail it to them directly.

Just a few more days folks! Thanks to all who've entered and thanks for the encouragement from everyone else. This is fun!

Archer Moon
05-13-2010, 07:36 AM
I will through in a maple lanyard bead. I lost my pics. Comp. must have ate them. Will post as soon as I can find them.

James Terrio
05-13-2010, 09:33 AM
Thanks Archer Moon! Just think, if you win, you won't have to mail out the bead :D

James Terrio
05-14-2010, 12:58 PM
Just one more day till the drawing.

Original
05-14-2010, 02:35 PM
I'm in, thank you .

sumoj275
05-14-2010, 09:18 PM
I'm in and thanks for the chance!

James Terrio
05-15-2010, 06:44 PM
Entry number 34, Precise, was the number generated by random.org!

Congratulations Precise!

Bill T
05-15-2010, 07:44 PM
Congrats Precise !! I hope it inspires you to make a winning knife as well ! Great GAW James ! Bill

DropPoint
05-15-2010, 09:21 PM
Congrats Precise. Good deal all the way around :)

This forum continuously surprises me. Very cool

James Terrio
05-16-2010, 10:52 AM
Thanks to all who participated, encouraged, and contributed to this GAW! It's been fun!
Precise I'll need your shipping address so I can get your kit on the way ASAP :)

pocomoonskyeyes
05-16-2010, 12:00 PM
Congratulations Precise!! Thank you James for this!! The generosity of members here amazes me. I just wish some of you could give me some of your skill!!:D

Precise
05-16-2010, 09:44 PM
WOW!!! Thank you so very much for this great opportunity! You all are all very generous! I never win anything, so I was very surprised when I logged in today.

Boy, I need to get started working on a pattern for what to make now. I think a nice big camp knife would be great! I'll be sure to take lots of pics!

Thank you again! Knifedogs rules!

Jeff Pearce
05-16-2010, 09:52 PM
WOW!!! Thank you so very much for this great opportunity! You all are all very generous! I never win anything, so I was very surprised when I logged in today.

Boy, I need to get started working on a pattern for what to make now. I think a nice big camp knife would be great! I'll be sure to take lots of pics!

Thank you again! Knifedogs rules!

I need your shipping info so i can ship your lanyard

James Terrio
05-17-2010, 01:23 AM
Congrats, Precise, and thank you for sending me your shipping info so quickly. Let me know if you need the blank drilled and/or roughly profiled so you can get to work. If you have any questions, I'll be happy to provide links and tips.

Don't forget to send your addy to Jeff Pearce and Archer Moon, so they can send you your lanyard and bead! Thank you, gentlemen!

Remember also, SBurek has volunteered to HT your blade when it's ready. It's up to you to keep in touch with him. Thanks, Stan!

Thank you all very much for participating, encouraging and contributing to this giveaway! It's been a hoot!

I feel like I'm the winner here. I'm really glad to be able to help someone get started. Thank you, KnifeDogs.com for giving us a chance to do this!

Precise
05-17-2010, 03:07 PM
Thanks again everyone! When the kit gets here I am going to try to take lots of pictures and have a WIP thread.

I haven't completed any knives. So I rather hope this will be my first to make it all the way through 2thumbs

I have a sears belt/disc sander, an old drill press, and my handy dandy dremel tool with a multitude of discs and wheels.

I know for a fact I can cut the blade into the shape I want. I've gotten pretty good at that. Then comes the pre-heat treat flat grinding. Thats where things have gotten messy for me. But I'm hopeful. 2thumbs

While I wait for the kit, I'm going to do some drawings.

I want to make a good camp knife with these qualities in mind:
Can do food prep:
Can do light chopping:
Can do light batoning:
Can make sticks into pointy sticks:
Is a viable option for cleaning fish:
Is not a bowie: (I just don't like bowies)

So design wise I'm thinking:
1. Nessmuk
2. A curvy survival knife like the Grohmann survial knife. (Looks kinda like a Nessmuk with more belly.
3. Something that looks like a Mora or Puukko.

When I get the designs out of my head and into the computer I'll actually start the WIP thread and paste them there. Boy, this is gonna be fun. :D

James Terrio
05-17-2010, 03:29 PM
A WIP would be cool! Your kit will head out Tuesday, or Wednesday if I'm lazier than usual tomorrow :D

Rock
05-17-2010, 04:44 PM
Congrats, Precise and thanks again, James.

Precise, I designed this Wharncliffe, with just a hint of belly, but not a spearpoint, with the dimensions James gave for the steel. You are welcome to use it if you'd like. PM me if you want the line drawing.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/Kowulz/CrimsonBladeworksWharncliffe1.png

James Terrio
05-21-2010, 05:17 AM
Precise, your kit is on the way! I'll send you a PM with the tracking number.