PDA

View Full Version : Motor Maintenance?

Blackcatt
05-04-2010, 08:54 PM
Howdy,

I have a 1.5hp non-vfd KMG grinder. I have probably ground a dozen or so blades so far, and it's an awesome machine.

The other day I was profiling a blade with a new 60grit belt on the fastest speed the step pulley system will allow and it seemed like I was way down on power. I didn't intentionally try, but I believe I could have stopped the belt without much trouble by pushing the material firmly. It seemed like there might have been 70% of the power I expected.

Is there anything I need to service or look at on the grinder and/or motor?

Thanks

BrianBoyles
05-04-2010, 10:19 PM
You shouldn't be having trouble with a motor after making a dozen blades.
Did you buy the motor new?

rfrink
05-05-2010, 06:35 AM
These are very tough motors that can take many years of abuse without any troubles. I've seen this a few times in the past....what you have described sounds like the drive belt is slipping.

Here's the test: grind something and push hard enough to stall the grinder. While it is stalled, have someone look at the motor to see if it is still turning....or if in fact it has stalled. If the belt is slipping, it will feel like the motor is low on power.

Let us know what you find.

-Rob

Blackcatt
05-05-2010, 06:48 AM
Thanks for the replies. This evening, I will definitely check it out and report back.

To answer the first reply, yes I bought the grinder new about 2 months ago.

Blackcatt
05-05-2010, 07:50 PM
I moved the motor forward about a centimeter, and that totally knocked out the problem. The drive belt must have been slipping. Thanks! After the adjustment, you can make steel disappear in a hurry.

Really appreciate it!

Curtiss Knives
05-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Ah ha! Slippage...thats a problem! cool 1

rfrink
05-06-2010, 06:45 AM
Ah ha! Slippage...thats a problem! cool 1

Nope..it's not a problem...it's just a simple adjustment. Once it is figured out it is never a problem. I've been using it for over 10 years now...and it only slipped during the first week when I was figuring things out. You gotta love the versitility of a belt drive. 2thumbs

-Rob