PDA

View Full Version : Godzilla chews on steel

One
05-04-2010, 11:45 AM
It’s about 9 inches OAL forged from inch round W2. I used “Godzilla” to start the shoulders on either side of the bolster area, and then finished them up freehand. Godzilla was made by Ray, and is a nice alternative to forging the shoulders freehand or using a guillotine. I usually start the shoulders freehand, but liked using Godzilla too. It is a bit easier to master than the freehand method, and a little easier to make than a guillotine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/taigoo/On%20The%20Bench%202009/On%20The%20Bench%202010/Forgedandfiled028.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/taigoo/On%20The%20Bench%202009/On%20The%20Bench%202010/Forgedandfiled022.jpg

I did use a bench grinder, just a little bit, as part of the overall forging process (during the forging process), to grind out any “ears” and to sharpen up the profile towards the end of the forging process.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/taigoo/On%20The%20Bench%202009/On%20The%20Bench%202010/Forgedandfiled012.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/taigoo/On%20The%20Bench%202009/On%20The%20Bench%202010/Forgedandfiled017.jpg

Here it is in less than 1 hour of freehand filing. I generally spend more time forging than filing on something like this. However, the more accurate the forging the less time needed on stock reduction. So, in the long run the forging saves me a lot of time… and steel.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/taigoo/On%20The%20Bench%202009/On%20The%20Bench%202010/Forgedandfiled050.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/taigoo/On%20The%20Bench%202009/On%20The%20Bench%202010/Forgedandfiled048.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/taigoo/On%20The%20Bench%202009/On%20The%20Bench%202010/Forgedandfiled058.jpg

Raymond Richard
05-04-2010, 12:09 PM
Tai, Glad to see you've been exercising Godzilla! I finally got around to making a replacement Godzilla. Good looking blade. Is this another one going to China? How much of the piece of 3/4" round bar did you end up using for this blade? What do you plan on using for scales?

Allen Newberry
05-04-2010, 12:09 PM
That looks very nice! I made a quick and dirty Godzilla Jr. type devise this past week. It worked nicely for starting the shoulders which is what I made it for. Time will tell how my quick version holds up.

One
05-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Ray, it's for a U.S. customer. I think I used about 3 1/2 inches of 3/4 round, but didn't actually measure it.

I also used Godzilla to start the drawing on the blade and tang, by taking little bites with it, like the way you did your tang at the hammerjamin. I'm liking the Richard methods so far. :)

Raymond Richard
05-04-2010, 01:22 PM
Ray, it's for a U.S. customer. I think I used about 3 1/2 inches of 3/4 round, but didn't actually measure it.

I also used Godzilla to start the drawing on the blade and tang, by taking little bites with it, like the way you did your tang at the hammerjamin. I'm liking the Richard methods so far. :)

Tai, It still looks like you forged the blade by what ever method you used. Your style is very distinct. All the students you have taught to forge and make knives reflect what they have learned from you.

Mike Barton
05-04-2010, 01:37 PM
Tai,

That knife is looking really good, and I agree with Ray it definitely looks forged. It seems a little topsy-turvy though :D

I've got to make myself a Godzilla and give this a try.

Peter Killgore
05-04-2010, 06:22 PM
That right there is some fine tuned forging! Looks good.

I really like having Godzilla getting the shoulders established and for drawing out the tang. It works great for that.

Raymond Richard
05-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Godzilla is our friend! Tai, you got me thinking of trying something like this one. Here's what I've been up to the last few weeks.

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_2323.JPG

The large on is the most recent, 14 1/2" of blade. Now to see if I can make it straight before I heat treat it. Not sure why since I normally have to straighten them after heat treat.

One
05-05-2010, 01:18 PM
Those look sweet Ray! Nice job! :)

Shane Justice
08-31-2010, 02:54 AM
Ok Guys,

I tried to search for some mock up plans on the GODZILLA steel masher...but came up with a big nothing.

Little help here.

stabber
08-31-2010, 08:22 AM
Very nice blade Tai! Looks like Godzilla did his job again

Raymond Richard
08-31-2010, 12:55 PM
Ok Guys,

I tried to search for some mock up plans on the GODZILLA steel masher...but came up with a big nothing.

Little help here.

Hey Shane, I thought you fell off the face of the earth. Good to see your still hanging on!

Here's a picture of the Godzilla that Tai has. This is a picture of it right after it was born. Pretty simple tool and one of the few I have made. The two blades are sandwiched between two pieces of 2" X 5/8" bars of steel. I'd cut one of the pieces to fit in the hardy hole. If you have anymore questions I'll try to answer them. Just build it to fit your anvil. No specific measurements except you want the working end of Godzilla to end about the center of the anvil. All the pieces were made out of 2" X 5/8" material. Almost anything will work but I wouldn't go with anything thinner than 1/2" X 1 1/2".

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/PDRM1957.JPG

Shane, I just took this photo to give you a little better idea. Also try to keep about a half inch between the two blades on Godzilla.

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_2589.JPG

NickWheeler
08-31-2010, 01:17 PM
Beautiful hammer work my friends!!!!!!!

Shane Justice
08-31-2010, 09:54 PM
Dear Ray,

It is so good to see my favorite people here on KD.

Like finding yourself at home in a place you have never been.

There are too many people here with tough things going on, but in short, I am trying to get to where I can make knives again someday...or find some way to be a part of the business doing design work, casting and sculpture for guards, pommels and all the other furniture.

Anyhow, if there is a place for me to be right now, this is it. You guys wiill help me get my head on straight.

At least I was feeling pretty good until I saw Nick Wheeler post...there goes the dang neighborhood!

What sort of steel for GODZILLA? ZDP 189, D2, SAN MAI ?

You guys are my heroes.

Raymond Richard
08-31-2010, 11:38 PM
Shane, I used 1065 for Godzilla. I didn't harden anything and it seems to be holding up fine. Not sure how mild steel would hold up.

Shane Justice
09-01-2010, 12:18 AM
OK, thanks Ray. I am actually back in school trying to re-tool myself for greater job prospects. I may try to make this one of my shop projects.

Is Tai the originator on that monster?

zemknives
09-01-2010, 03:21 AM
Nice job Tai,
I have been admiring your work since the first time I picked up a Blade magazine . When I see one of your knives I can usually tell its one of yours before I read the caption . You do have a great and unique style. At the time you were using alot of metiorite . Do you still use this ?
Keep up the GREAT work and love to see whats next for you.
JZ

Raymond Richard
09-01-2010, 11:03 AM
OK, thanks Ray. I am actually back in school trying to re-tool myself for greater job prospects. I may try to make this one of my shop projects.

Is Tai the originator on that monster?

Shane, Godzilla was my doing but not my idea totally. I think I got the idea after looking at Iforge. Tai and I did a hammerin in February and I gave him the Godzilla he has.

JZ, As far as I know Tai hasn't done anymore with the metiorites.

Shane Justice
09-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Tai, I have to apologize. It was not my intent to hi-jack this thread about your knife, to talk about Godzilla.

IN case everybody here does not, I am a fairly rabid TAI GOO fan...so i dinot comment on the unique style or his amazing hammer work etc.

I also figured TAI would already know when he saw me post that he has my esteem and respect.

Ray, You and Tai together ?And I missed it? Reminds me of the time I missed BB King and Ray CHarles on stage together ni Seoul Korea. My luck!

Raymond Richard
09-01-2010, 03:04 PM
Shane, We did make a video of the Hammerjamin. Still waiting for it though. Hopefully it will be out soon.

mofretwell
09-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Oooooh! Love that huge dagger blade. Or is it a Roman short sword? In either case, I just can't wait to see the finished product.

It is amazing, as Ray says, how the students reflect the work of their masters. I wonder what would happen if you swapped students for awhile? They'd probably start mixing styles. Might be interesting.

Love this forum!

One
09-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Nice job Tai,
I have been admiring your work since the first time I picked up a Blade magazine . When I see one of your knives I can usually tell its one of yours before I read the caption . You do have a great and unique style. At the time you were using alot of metiorite . Do you still use this ?
Keep up the GREAT work and love to see whats next for you.
JZ

Thanks!

I still do, but not near as much. I've sort of gotten away from damascus in general, but still do it occasionally.

One
09-02-2010, 10:34 AM
Shane, Godzilla was my doing but not my idea totally. I think I got the idea after looking at Iforge. Tai and I did a hammerin in February and I gave him the Godzilla he has.

JZ, As far as I know Tai hasn't done anymore with the metiorites.

Ray, the billet we hammered on while you were here has meteorite in it.

One
09-02-2010, 10:39 AM
Tai, I have to apologize. It was not my intent to hi-jack this thread about your knife, to talk about Godzilla.

IN case everybody here does not, I am a fairly rabid TAI GOO fan...so i dinot comment on the unique style or his amazing hammer work etc.

No worries Shane. I've been having computer problems and haven't been around here much lately.
I also figured TAI would already know when he saw me post that he has my esteem and respect.

Ray, You and Tai together ?And I missed it? Reminds me of the time I missed BB King and Ray CHarles on stage together ni Seoul Korea. My luck!

No worries Shane. The thread is really about Godzilla too.

Raymond Richard
09-02-2010, 11:12 AM
Ray, the billet we hammered on while you were here has meteorite in it.

Ita, I was pretty sure that billet had some meteorite in it but it was the "fairy dust" flux that got me confused. Or maybe it was "star dust" flux. How many more years till the "Enchanted Blade" is made? Do you think the billet is ready to be forged into a blade?

Today maybe the return of "Big Fish Ray".

Marvin, I think the forging of that big dagger blade is part of the reason I felt the need to take a break from forging. I figure by October I'll be swinging the hammer again.

One
09-03-2010, 09:50 AM
Yra,
Hard to say. It still needs a few more folds.