PDA

View Full Version : Saved by the Rust



Raymond Richard
04-12-2010, 12:59 PM
Rust is always a problem to us knifemakers but this morning rust saved me from being knocked on my butt. As several of you already know besides knives I also have a few cows. For several years I have relied on using a hot wire to keep them on the right side of the fence and at certain times I will disconnect sections by real simple means. I've always been a master jury rigger and cattle fences are something where this skill has always come in handy. At one of my fence junctions in order to connect or disconnect the power I use the simple "J" hook system. Its nothing more than the two wires that have J's bent in them and I'll I have to do is hook them up or just unhook them when the fence is turned off. This morning I put a bucket of water next to the fence for this calf that I have been weening now for several weeks. As I sat the water down one of the J hooks almost poked me in the face so I went and bent it out of my way since it was disconnected. Then without thinking I also grabbed the other wire and moved it out of the way. After I did that it dawned on me that it was the hot side of the wire and I was surprised that I didn't get zapped. I went to check to see if the hot wire box was plugged in and it was. My conclusion is the layer of rust on the wire was enough insulation to save the oldman from getting slammed. :D Not all rust is bad.

Jeff Pearce
04-12-2010, 01:04 PM
That would of woke you up real good. glade it turned out ok....

murphda2
04-12-2010, 01:05 PM
Wow! Depending on the amount of juice, that might have been more than just a slam to the ground. Sounds to me like possibly the rust and someone lookin after you might have saved you a heck of alot pain on that one.

Eli Gautreaux
04-12-2010, 01:37 PM
Be careful Ray!

Were you wearing those big rubber boots?

Wayne Coe
04-12-2010, 02:24 PM
You will learn respect for hot wire fences real quick. When we first got horses and a hot wire fense my wife would step through the fence. Getting that wire up between her legs before it jolted her tought her a lot real quick. It only took her twice to quit doing that.

Raymond Richard
04-12-2010, 02:30 PM
Be careful Ray!

Were you wearing those big rubber boots?

Eli, I had on my shop slippers. It was the rust that insulated me from getting shocked. You ask why do I know that? I went out to feed the other cows some hay and then went for a walk trying to spot one of the cows that I suspected to be having another calf and spotted some branches stuck in the wire. Just by grabbing hold of the branch I got popped but not bad. The fence is working. Rubber boots don't stop you from getting zapped. I know from experience. I have yet to feel the full force from this new hot wire box. Its 3 times more powerful than the old one. The cows give it much respect.

Jeff, I told my wife it woke me up anyway. I still can't believe I didn't get bit.

Darrin Sanders
04-12-2010, 02:43 PM
One of the biggest laughs I've ever had in my life was from my Dad absent mindedly peeing on a hot wire. He didn't think it was funny, but seeing him dancing around at such a private moment I couldn't help but crack up.

Raymond Richard
04-12-2010, 04:24 PM
One of the biggest laughs I've ever had in my life was from my Dad absent mindedly peeing on a hot wire. He didn't think it was funny, but seeing him dancing around at such a private moment I couldn't help but crack up.

Never done that but have come close. I've certainly heard of that happening many times. The worst I've ever been bitten was in the spring when everything was good and wet. I had a fed bin set up on the other side of the fence and there was something laying inside so I got down on all fours. I had forgot about the hot wire being on my side of the fence and it bit me right on the head. I saw stars and I could taste every filling in my mouth. Did that wake me up. :D

Bruce Barnett
04-12-2010, 06:59 PM
Haha, you will only pee on one once!! The funniest thing ive seen happen was a dog cocked his leg on a hot wire and got zapped. For the next couple of weeks he would lift his leg, give a short squirt, stop, move on about 10ft and squirt agian. It took him about 10 squirts to get rid of it all but he sure wasnt going to stay still and pee anymore.

Cheers Bruce

Raymond Richard
04-12-2010, 07:39 PM
Haha, you will only pee on one once!! The funniest thing ive seen happen was a dog cocked his leg on a hot wire and got zapped. For the next couple of weeks he would **** his leg, give a short squirt, stop, move on about 10ft and squirt agian. It took him about 10 squirts to get rid of it all but he sure wasnt going to stay still and pee anymore.

Cheers Bruce

Bruce, I took care of a friends dog one time that loved to go fetch. Sticks, balls, what have you. It hit the fence and would never go in my pasture after that even several years after.

Are you starting to heal up now?

Lorien
04-12-2010, 10:04 PM
it bit me right on the head. I saw stars and I could taste every filling in my mouth.

that about sums it up for me, too:D

LR Adkins
04-12-2010, 11:41 PM
It's not funny at the time but later when you think about it you just have to laugh. I've heard a lot of electric fence stories and had my own experiences.

I used to stick a piece of straw or blade of grass in my mouth like you would a toothpick, one day I tried to roll under an electric fence and when that blade of grass hit that fence it lit me up. I stumbled around for 15 minutes before I could get back to the barn.

Gotta love them electric fences.

Larry

JAWilliams
04-13-2010, 12:38 AM
Funniest thing was my cousin, he had one that would pulse (turn on and off). I asked how he knew it was on and when it was off. He told me to listen and you could hear it turning on and off. I still wouldn't touch it. He finally said watch, and he grabbed it and it lit him up good. I have never laughed so hard in my life. Ray I am glad you are alright.

Rock
04-13-2010, 12:46 AM
I had a friend in NC who was a pig farmer. He had a mangy old mangled dog named Grinny. She loved to chase cars and had been hit five times and broken a lot of bones. My buddy had an electric fence that pulsed and Grinny would rock in and out like a boxer, time it, and jump through. None of his five other dogs could do it without getting knocked on their butts. It was pretty amazing considering her bad luck with the cars!

Bruce Barnett
04-13-2010, 01:30 AM
Are you starting to heal up now?

Yes thanks mate, slowly but surely. Still cant get a work boot on and last scans showed clots were getting smaller. Still not allowed to fly so looks like I will miss our Aussie Guild show.:mad: They reckon I will be right to fly over your side of the world in another 6 weeks.;)

One
04-13-2010, 08:45 AM
Sounds like a close call Ray, glad you're alright.

... NEVER PEE ON AN ELECTRIC FENCE!

silenthunterstudios
04-13-2010, 09:01 AM
I've gotten shocked by a horse fence a couple times, the charge wasn't that high. A cow fence, however, I do not want to mess with.

Peter Killgore
04-13-2010, 09:13 AM
Sounds like a close call Ray, glad you're alright.

... NEVER PEE ON AN ELECTRIC FENCE!
Any of you guys ever watch the show Mythbusters? They said you don't get shocked peeing on an electric fence. Needless to say, me and a few buddies don't trust that show anymore 'cause we know otherwise.

Raymond Richard
04-13-2010, 09:17 AM
The real test for the fence will come now. One of my two cows had a calf just before dark last night and the other one should appear in a week or two. It takes calves a few days to understand which side of the fence is there's. I hope there fast learners.

Bruce, You must still be planing to go to the Blade Show. Hope the ankle gets better by then.