PDA

View Full Version : My First Forged Blade

murphda2
04-11-2010, 09:13 PM
Well, I finally did it!!! I forged my very first blade while at Batson's Knife Symposium this weekend. Man, you guys that have been doing this forever make it look easy. I wish it were just 1/10th as easy as many of you make it look. My forearm was TIGHT after pounding on that steel.

It doesn't look pretty, but it does resemble a knife. With any luck, I'll finish this up and bring it with me to Blade. I have two weeks to work in the shop (if my training schedule doesn't get in the way), so I'll try to get busy on this tomorrow after work. Hopefully I can bring a little better shape to it with a little help from the grinder.

Here it is..........

http://knifedogs.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8057&d=1271038317

h0tr0d
04-11-2010, 09:16 PM
Looks good, def. looks better than all of my stuff thus far :)

Bill Coye
04-11-2010, 09:30 PM
Right on Murph! Looks good from where I'm sittin'.

BC

Jeff Pearce
04-11-2010, 10:14 PM
Very cool. How many blisters do you have...or did you wear gloves.

pocomoonskyeyes
04-11-2010, 10:18 PM
Personally I think it looks Great!! Good Job man!

whiteeugene
04-11-2010, 10:29 PM
Looks great Murph how heavy of a hammer were you using how long did it take?

murphda2
04-11-2010, 10:43 PM
I was using a 4 lb and it took entirely too dang long (about an hour). I wore one glove on my left hand (to hold the steel) and ended up with two blisters on my right hand (one on thumb and one on outside bottom of the palm).

Appreciate the compliments guys. The only positive thing I can say about the blade right now is that it is pretty darn straight. I think it's pretty ugly right now, but I hope to make it a little bit better lookin.

Mark Behnke
04-11-2010, 11:30 PM
Looks good, can't wait to see more.:D

JAWilliams
04-11-2010, 11:49 PM
Murph looks really nice, remember it is like an oyster. Looks ugly on the outside but when you crack it open it has something beautiful on the inside.

bluegrass in ga
04-12-2010, 10:54 AM
looks like somebody got inspired this weekend. looks good bud, keep up the good work. it was a pleasure meeting you this weekend and maybe we"ll cross paths at the blade show. I don't know about you, but I thought this weekend was great.talk to ya soon, Danny

Wayne Coe
04-12-2010, 11:29 AM
I saw it in person and, yes it does look good.2thumbs

Chris Martin
04-12-2010, 11:59 AM
I think Murph is going to take over the game here soon:D

Lookin good, Dave. I will be getting your W? out this week.....And remember....Pics or it didnt happen!

Keep it up2thumbs

Chris

murphda2
04-12-2010, 12:19 PM
Thank you, Wayne. I was a little disappointed in it to begin with. I laid in bed awake for the biggest part of the night last night with my brain in overdrive thinking of everything I had seen over the weekend and everyone I met. Unfortunately, there are very few names I remember (I hate having a bad memory) but there are faces I'll never forget.

Long story short, my brain has dumped all of the names but absorbed alot of the information and now I'm getting all kinds of design ideas for this blade. I think I have it worked out, but I have to put it on paper in order to fully visualize it. I'll be working on the blade design today as I have the time and try to get some sketches posted of my intent before the day is over. I've decided that I screwed up when forging it and should have forged it as a narrow tang. That's too easy though, I'm gonna cut it down to a narrow tang.

Here are a few of pics of it after I let it sit in some vinegar and cleaned off most of the scale.

http://knifedogs.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8066&d=1271092451

http://knifedogs.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8067&d=1271092451

http://knifedogs.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8068&d=1271092451

Wayne Coe
04-12-2010, 12:25 PM
Yep, it cleaned up nicely. It's your knife so you can do anything you want with it,,,but,,,, I like the full tang, and if you forged the Integral finger guard like Joe Keesler show us.....

Allen Newberry
04-12-2010, 12:36 PM
Lookin good!

bootstrap
04-12-2010, 03:57 PM
cool profile! can't wait to some more pics.

murphda2
04-12-2010, 06:52 PM
I think I have come up with a design for this piece. I did my first sketch and was real happy with it. After walking away from the sketch and coming back a little later, I decided there were issues with it and went back to the drawing board.

I now have sketch #2 and feel quite a bit better with it. Who knows, I may decide to start all over again after I look at this again later tonight or in the morning. But, for now......here we are. I've also included what I believe will be the handle material for this piece.

http://knifedogs.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8072&d=1271116260

pocomoonskyeyes
04-12-2010, 09:14 PM
Gosh!! That is going to be AWESOME!! I don't like it, I Love it!!

h0tr0d
04-12-2010, 09:29 PM
That is going to be awesome Murph! That drawing looks sweet, wish I had some artistic skills for drawing.

John Barker
04-13-2010, 08:11 AM
That's going to be nice. Can't wait to see it.
-John

Brad Singley
04-13-2010, 06:49 PM
I remember when you were headed to the car to get the piece of steel. You were a bit beat down when I saw you a few hours later! Nice job, buddy. That's great work and you should be proud! Let me know if you need any help with it. Brad

McClellan Made Blades
04-14-2010, 10:26 AM
I've decided that I screwed up when forging it and should have forged it as a narrow tang. That's too easy though, I'm gonna cut it down to a narrow tang.

Murph,
That is NOT Screwed up! All you really have to do is shape the tang, to fit your hand, ironically that design is one that I have made a few of, matter of fact I have one like that on the bench, thought it looked familiar. Now if you are wanting to make it a hidden tang then yes you'll have to taper the tang down a pretty good bit, but it will make a fine full tang with a little grinding. When I'm forging out mine, I put a bend right behind the ricasso, on the tang, I do this by a couple of sharp taps with the blade cherry red, too much and the angle is too severe for me. So, I take it easy, with it cherry red, all I have to do is give it a couple of good taps on the spine with the blade on the horn near the tip where the horn tapers to the point. do you have a small wheel attachment with your KMG? I use a 3/4" wheel, to get in the front corner, then go to a 2" wheel to finish the rest of the handle. I'll see if I have a pic I can send you when I get home. I should be HTing this one tonight, so maybe I can get it closer to done before I take more pics. This one will be for sale by the end of the week, I think it's going to be a good deal for someone that likes big fighter /cutter blades. If you need ANYTHING, call me, or shot me an email. I'll do anything I can to help you Bro`. Rex

murphda2
04-14-2010, 11:20 AM
Appreciate it Rex. I look forward o seeing this piece you're talking about. Do I get to call first dibbs?

bubba-san
04-14-2010, 11:39 AM
Murph , I think it looks pretty good , Glad you got yourself going . As much as you like japanese blades I know one is on the horizon !! good luck Bubba-san

murphda2
04-14-2010, 11:54 AM
ONE??? Come on Bubba, you no better than to think there will be just one. I'm already thinking about how many years it will take before I can start thinking about using tamahagane.

bubba-san
04-14-2010, 03:07 PM
ONE??? Come on Bubba, you no better than to think there will be just one. I'm already thinking about how many years it will take before I can start thinking about using tamahagane.

I mean't like next week ! yaa! Once you forge a good japanese blade its hard to stop ??? I like forging them better than I like finishing them . usually make about 4 blades at a time when possible , then spend the rest of the time making handles and hardware . Its so much fun it makes me fart !

murphda2
04-14-2010, 03:42 PM
Bubba, I have no idea how to respond to that one.

calharkins
04-14-2010, 08:58 PM
Lookin' Goood!!!

KB1SYV
04-15-2010, 01:58 PM
Murph,

That design is looking awesome!!! Keep the pics coming! Are you going to be filing, or are you a fortunate one and have a grinder?:D:D:D

thanks

Jeff

McClellan Made Blades
04-17-2010, 01:30 AM
Appreciate it Rex. I look forward o seeing this piece you're talking about. Do I get to call first dibbs?

Murph,
If you want 1st dibs, you got it, and I'll give you a great price, just because your so freakin cool!!! And ahelluva nice guy..., that helps in my book. It has been heat treated, and it looks like the hamon is turning out nicely....so far, you never know with those. Once I get it cleaned up, I'll show you the handles scales I've chosen, some of that walnut from Don Hanson (figured you'd like that) but I chose them last week, if you would prefer something different I've got a pretty good bit of different types of wood and horn as you know, the horn I would have to go through to make sure that I have a piece that fit correctly. Or should I say PERFECTLY! I'll keep you posted, I will work on it again tomorrow, and Sunday, and I'm having a fit to forge something. A lot of grass to cut and a double header tomorrow afternoon, so I'm hitting the hay so I can get up early in the A.M. and get after it. I'll let you know something soon, Rex

murphda2
04-17-2010, 04:05 PM
Oh yeah, I have the master of all grinders to work on this. I haven't started grinding on it yet. I've been going over and over the design and then took it up to Jim's shop with me yesterday for advice. I'll start work on it very soon.

Rex, walnut is always awesome. Do your thing and get with me Monday afternoon or later (I'm with the wife for the weekend, hint hint).

McClellan Made Blades
04-18-2010, 11:44 PM
Oh yeah, I have the master of all grinders to work on this. I haven't started grinding on it yet. I've been going over and over the design and then took it up to Jim's shop with me yesterday for advice. I'll start work on it very soon.

Rex, walnut is always awesome. Do your thing and get with me Monday afternoon or later (I'm with the wife for the weekend, hint hint).

Murph,
You can't tell, but I'm totally exhausted, I've worked what little butt I had off today! If you remember Ken Herring that met me at Batsons, he came over today wanting to spend some time with me while I made a knife, here I am thinking I'm helping a guy that wants to "learn" how to make a knife, after hours of "teaching" him what I know about grinding still thinking he needs my help, I asked if he brought any with him that I might be able to help him with, and of course he brought several that he's been working on, OMG!!!! Here I am thinking he needed help and the blades he's showing me were freakin awesome! Even a dagger he ground from a file, that was perfect on all sides, all he needs is a little help with heat treating, he had one MONSTER blade he did a stock removal job on that was AWESOME! The handle work on it was great, the only thing he really lacks is confidence in his blades, once he gets some heat treating done I'm hoping he'll either put them on here or let me put them on here for him, now I'm wishing I took some pics of them.

Anyway I managed to get one side of the one I was telling you about started, I'm planning on sanding it to about 1000 grit and re-etching it, the hamon came out pretty nicely, should be a lot nicer after taking it down further. Here is the pic, I'm going to bed! Yall have a nice night, Rex

murphda2
04-19-2010, 12:52 AM
That looks great. I really like the blade design.

McClellan Made Blades
04-19-2010, 12:33 PM
That looks great. I really like the blade design.

Thanks Murph,
That's the one that you wanted first dibs on, I'll let you know when I get it done, Rex

JAWilliams
04-20-2010, 12:23 AM
Murph can't wait till the pics start coming when you start grinding.

julie
04-29-2010, 03:10 PM
hummmmmm good

ChipI.
04-29-2010, 09:18 PM
Great looking job there Murph

Billy Helton
04-29-2010, 09:36 PM
Murph That looks five times better than my tenth knife I forged. Good Job