PDA

View Full Version : A Special Large Camp Knife

Don Carlos Andrade
04-06-2010, 11:28 PM
Well what makes it so special? Well......
You were there when we heat treated it the day after the Hammerjamin at Tai's place.
What a great time that was! Thanks for sharing your perspectives on forging and having fun making knives.
You have already seen this one but I thought I'd share it here too.

This one is out of some spring steel.
It is 16.5" OAl with an 11" blade. Handle is Stabilized Chetchen wood, 7-bronze pins only three of which are visible, and a row of woven cotton line tied in turks-head knots and impregnated with pinion rosin.

This thing is so exceedingly sharp that,.... after I got it that way I did not really want to handle it more than I had to. I did one more coat of the pinion rosin to the handle and decided to just put the knife away until I make a wooden Hikot-Style Sheath for it. It is just too big and sharp to idly fondle like some knives.....one slip and....well you get the idea.

Before I placed the handle on it I chopped for quite some time on some Catalina Ironwood logs where the branch sections grew out and the knife stayed wicked sharp and my hand was raw and tired even with a glove on.

I hope you enjoy the images.

-DON:)

http://www.californiacustomknives.com/bigcamp2010a.jpg

http://www.californiacustomknives.com/bigcamp2010b.jpg

murphda2
04-07-2010, 05:05 AM
That is a great lookin blade you have there. Great job!

stabber
04-07-2010, 05:15 AM
Lookin good! Like the blade shape. I also like that wrap over the handle!!2thumbs

One
04-07-2010, 06:54 AM
Don, glad that heat treat worked out even though we weren't sure exactly what steel it was... Chopping ironwood is a good test. :)

The whole thing turned out sweet. Nice job!

Raymond Richard
04-07-2010, 10:12 AM
Don, You'd never know who influenced your style. :D It looks like one of the Great Masters to me.

When you go to sleep at night and wake up in the morning thinking about forging knives you know something isn't right. Something I tend to do quite often.

Thanks for dropping by and please come back! 2thumbs

Eli Gautreaux
04-08-2010, 06:27 AM
Don, that's a very nice blade, and a good story behind it. Thanks for giving us a peek.

Dusty One
04-08-2010, 07:13 AM
Great looking piece...........

One
04-08-2010, 08:01 AM
Hey Don, are those some kind of flute type instruments in your avatar? If so, did you make them?