PDA

View Full Version : Fishing report for 3/25/10

Raymond Richard
03-26-2010, 10:27 AM
I had got a call from Steve (Chinook) Wednesday night asking if I would like to go fishing Thursday morning with him and Larry. After spending almost 60 bucks that night for my tag and a permit I was ready to go. Got out on the Columbia at the crack of dawn and started our down river troll. Larry caught the first spring chinook by about 9am and things started to go south after that. Wind, rain, and cold temps were in store for the rest of the day. Sometime after noon I had a fish on. Not the biggest fish in the river but a real fighter that weighed in at around 12 pounds. After that the wind really started to pick up and thoughts of heading to the barn were getting stronger yet but we stuck it out until Steve got hooked up. As to who got the largest fish it was between Larry and Steve. Both Steve and I feel he had the larger fish. :D

Good news is I will not get skunked this season. 2thumbs

I'll see if I can get Chinook to post a picture of his prize fish later today.

Peter Killgore
03-26-2010, 10:51 AM
You guys were on the river yesterday?!?!? Hope the boat had a top...and a heater!(a camp stove for the bacon and eggs is always nice too):D
Our friend got a springer on the Willamette yesterday. Hopefully my dad will get feeling good enough to take the boat out so we can go get at 'em. I guess it might help if it would get off the computer and go fix our trolling motor:rolleyes:

Raymond Richard
03-26-2010, 11:49 AM
You guys were on the river yesterday?!?!? Hope the boat had a top...and a heater!(a camp stove for the bacon and eggs is always nice too):D
Our friend got a springer on the Willamette yesterday. Hopefully my dad will get feeling good enough to take the boat out so we can go get at 'em. I guess it might help if it would get off the computer and go fix our trolling motor:rolleyes:

Peter, Open boat all the way. None of that sissy stuff for us.

Don't take your Dad out if the weather looks like what we had yesterday. We got beat up pretty bad. There's a chance I might get a call to go out later this afternoon. I'm not sure if I can handle it two days in a row. At least the wind isn't blowing here so far.

Peter Killgore
03-26-2010, 04:37 PM
Well I was going to fix the trolling motor but I got a little sidetracked. This particular side track involved a short hike down to the Sandy and some good quality time with a very good friend of mine: the steelhead. :D
I lost one a little after noon but an hour later, this guy showed up. Looks like fresh fish tonight.2thumbs

Raymond Richard
03-26-2010, 05:26 PM
Well I was going to fix the trolling motor but I got a little sidetracked. This particular side track involved a short hike down to the Sandy and some good quality time with a very good friend of mine: the steelhead. :D
I lost one a little after noon but an hour later, this guy showed up. Looks like fresh fish tonight.2thumbs

Nice steele! What time is dinner? :D What did you catch it on?

Peter Killgore
03-26-2010, 06:47 PM
Nice steele! What time is dinner? :D What did you catch it on?

I caught it on a pink jig. The one I lost was on the same thing. That's the only thing to use for winter steelies on the Sandy(sometimes the addition of a pink worm is acceptable :D ).

Chinook
03-26-2010, 07:43 PM
Ray did a nice job of landing that spring king. Those are the best fish to eat there is--mind you, I love crappie, perch, halibut, walleye, pike, and all. Big
Fish Ray is back in preditory mode! I attached a picture of my fish, sorry about the garb, nasty day...way nasty. Also is another picture of me and my LongLiner taken last August in Newport, OR.

Keep up the hammerin' and tight lines too,
Chinook

Peter Killgore
03-26-2010, 10:06 PM
Nice lookin' fish there Chinook! Looks like you guys really had a day of it. My dad and I are looking forward to using those LongLiners this season. They look like they do the trick.
Were there many other boats out there?

Eli Gautreaux
03-26-2010, 10:06 PM
Good report Ray, and nice pics Steve. I was wondering when you guys were going to start fishing again. Way to go Peter, that's a very nice fish, makes our little Texas black bass seem very small :D

kimsalls
03-26-2010, 10:57 PM
Ray, what I really want to know is, "What kind of luck did you have with the harpoon?" :)

Raymond Richard
03-26-2010, 11:01 PM
Nice lookin' fish there Chinook! Looks like you guys really had a day of it. My dad and I are looking forward to using those LongLiners this season. They look like they do the trick.
Were there many other boats out there?

Peter, There were lots of boats on the river. I think its just going to be more congested since they closed sport fishing on the Columbia River east of the 205 Bridge.

Nice fish Chinook! I get to catch the bigger one next trip. Those Long Liners need to be outlawed. :D

Chinook
03-27-2010, 07:52 AM
Eli,
I love those Black Bass too. A nice warm spring evening popping topwaters on the surface with light gear is pretty darn fun.

Chinook
www.anglerinnovations.com

"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery element were made for wise men to contemplate, and fools to pass by without consideration."
-- Izaak Walton (1593-1683),The Compleat Angler

Raymond Richard
03-27-2010, 11:31 AM
Ray, what I really want to know is, "What kind of luck did you have with the harpoon?" :)

Kim, You got to be able to see the fish to use the harpoon. :D

Chinook, You need to grow your beard back. You look to much like a doctor without it.

I ran across some pictures from my fishing trip to Sitka in 97. I'll post them up later today. Now to start my pluming operation. :D

Eli Gautreaux
03-28-2010, 08:01 AM
Looking forward to those pics Ray. Alaska fishing is a dream trip.

Hey Steve, you're right about black bass on top waters. We got into them one day in about 12" of water, so you could see the wake they were pushing coming... Talk about hard to control yourself, the anticipation was over the top. It took me 3 or 4 bites to settle down and wait to set the hook. I think we caught 30 or 40 fish that morning, memorable for sure. :)

Raymond Richard
03-28-2010, 09:50 AM
Looking forward to those pics Ray. Alaska fishing is a dream trip.

Hey Steve, you're right about black bass on top waters. We got into them one day in about 12" of water, so you could see the wake they were pushing coming... Talk about hard to control yourself, the anticipation was over the top. It took me 3 or 4 bites to settle down and wait to set the hook. I think we caught 30 or 40 fish that morning, memorable for sure. :)

Eli, This trip was a once in a lifetime trip for sure. It cost a pretty penny but it was better than I would have dreamed. Now remember this was June of 1997 although I wouldn't be surprised if it was still the same way.

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_2174.JPG

Typical king salmon. Everyday we went out it was a repeat of the first day!

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_2175.JPG

This was my first bottom fish. A little ling cod.

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_2176.JPG

Another shot of the same ling cod.

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_2177.JPG

My first halibut, probably 120 pounds. I no longer have a picture of the one I caught on the second day but if you added another 100 pounds onto the one in this picture that would be it. :D

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_2178.JPG

First days worth of fishing. Maybe 6 or 7 hours worth of fishing. The salmon in the photo were the larger ones we caught. We released more salmon than what we kept.

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_2179.JPG

We got crabs. I think this photo was taken on our last day. The fellow on far right of the photo is my friend Zeke. The other two fellows were his friends. Zeke and I became friends in the second grade. I sure turned out better looking than him. :D

mofretwell
03-28-2010, 01:37 PM
Holy cow!! Indeed that was a trip of a lifetime. I'd lo-o-o-ve to experience a fishing trip like that. The Ling Cod make even better fish and chips than halibut. And those King Salmon are so tasty. You've given me the fisherman's trembles.

Eli Gautreaux
03-28-2010, 03:33 PM
Woah!!!

After that trip you may never want to go back, might be hard to match that one! Thanks for the cool pics Ray!

Gil Brown
03-28-2010, 06:49 PM
Brother Ray,

Great pictures. You were cute even back then...............Miss you Ray. See you this summer. God Bless
Gil

Peter Killgore
03-28-2010, 07:23 PM
Hmmm.....I may have to "visit my aunt" in Sitka again this summer. My dad and I got in a little fishing but not as much as I would have liked.

Raymond Richard
03-29-2010, 09:58 AM
Holy cow!! Indeed that was a trip of a lifetime. I'd lo-o-o-ve to experience a fishing trip like that. The Ling Cod make even better fish and chips than halibut. And those King Salmon are so tasty. You've given me the fisherman's trembles.

Marvin, I was really disappointed after trying to eat the halibut. If I would have know how flavorless those big halibut were I certainly would have released them. Now that ling cod was excellent eating!

As for the fisherman's trembles you seem to come down with that on you own this time of year.

mofretwell
03-30-2010, 12:25 PM
Ray,

You got that right! I packed all my fishing gear today. Tomorrow we leave Mesa and start heading north. Can't wait to get back up to Canada with my new switch rod and try it out on those big Kamloops Rainbows. I definitely have the fishing trembles.

Raymond Richard
04-03-2010, 09:52 AM
Ray,

You got that right! I packed all my fishing gear today. Tomorrow we leave Mesa and start heading north. Can't wait to get back up to Canada with my new switch rod and try it out on those big Kamloops Rainbows. I definitely have the fishing trembles.

Marvin, Chinook called Wednesday night to invite me to go fishing Thursday but I turned him down because of illness. I just got word this morning that the salmon suffered no loses on Thursday.

What's this new "switch rod" your packing?

mofretwell
04-04-2010, 06:26 PM
Ray,
A switch rod is a double handed fly rod that can also be used single handed. It is a bit shorter than the big 15' double handed spey rods; my switch rod is 10' 9" long. I can cast about 50 percent further with my new switch rod than I could with my old 9' 5-wt. fly rod. This extra distance is really important in the very clear lakes of B.C. I built the switch rod over the winter, and I'm really anxious to try it out on the big Kamloops rainbows.

Marvin

Peter Killgore
05-30-2010, 01:03 AM
Well we got out for sturgeon today. Got one keeper and lost an oversize. I'll try to get pics of the keeper up at a more decent hour.

To cast a dark cloud on an otherwise wonderful day, while my dad and I were getting dinner at the truck stop, someone stole his rod right out of our boat while we were in the restaurant. I was less than pleases when I saw it was missing when we got back home. I guess things could be worse. They could have taken my Lamiglas!

Raymond Richard
05-30-2010, 11:01 AM
Well we got out for sturgeon today. Got one keeper and lost an oversize. I'll try to get pics of the keeper up at a more decent hour.

To cast a dark cloud on an otherwise wonderful day, while my dad and I were getting dinner at the truck stop, someone stole his rod right out of our boat while we were in the restaurant. I was less than pleases when I saw it was missing when we got back home. I guess things could be worse. They could have taken my Lamiglas!

Sorry to hear about you Dad's loss. I'd had a similar thing happen at a public fishing peer in San Diego when I was a kid. First outfit I'd bought for myself. Think I just got to the peer. Leaned the rod up to the rail and then went to relieve myself. Came back and it was gone.

Lets see that fish!

Peter Killgore
05-30-2010, 02:29 PM
Here's the fish!

43" fork length. Nice fish. From what the game warden said, we were the only ones to get a keeper yesterday. Everyone else was getting oversize or shakers.

Raymond Richard
05-30-2010, 07:11 PM
Here's the fish!

43" fork length. Nice fish. From what the game warden said, we were the only ones to get a keeper yesterday. Everyone else was getting oversize or shakers.

Peter, What's the minimum length? I'm thinking this one barely made it. Did your dad catch it?

Peter Killgore
05-30-2010, 09:38 PM
The minimum fork length is 38" so we made it by 5". We got one last year that was right at the max. It was a nice fish.

My dad hooked it but we let our friend bring it in. Figured he should know how strong these things are. We got hit by one oversize that just about took the rod out of the holder. Lost it after about 20 seconds of fight.

mofretwell
05-31-2010, 12:20 AM
Well, since this is the fish thread, here's one of the Kamloops Rainbows I caught in B.C. :D

Weighed about 8 lbs. 26 1/2" long, 15 1/2" girth.

http://www.marvel8ed.com/PostPhotos/Triploid-2-sm.jpg

Peter Killgore
05-31-2010, 01:41 PM
Now that's what I call a trout! Beautiful fish.

Raymond Richard
05-31-2010, 05:57 PM
Marvin, Nice fishy! How's the weather been there? Very wet here.

Eli Gautreaux
05-31-2010, 08:22 PM
You guys are making me want to fish!

Peter Killgore
05-31-2010, 10:35 PM
Come on up Eli and we'll get you out for oversize Sturgeon! Just get here before the 22nd since after that my dad and I will be in Haiti for three weeks.

mofretwell
05-31-2010, 11:20 PM
Ray,
The weather has been real windy. Very hard to fish after about 11 am. Lots of rain. Much colder than 2 years ago. It has been a harder fishing season than when you were here. But it still has been lots of fun. I'm already planning a return next year or perhaps 2 years from now. Only next time I'll have my aluminum boat with me instead of the cataraft.

We leave here in the morning, and will spend three weeks exploring northern Idaho and NE Washington.

Raymond Richard
06-01-2010, 08:49 AM
Ray,
The weather has been real windy. Very hard to fish after about 11 am. Lots of rain. Much colder than 2 years ago. It has been a harder fishing season than when you were here. But it still has been lots of fun. I'm already planning a return next year or perhaps 2 years from now. Only next time I'll have my aluminum boat with me instead of the cataraft.

We leave here in the morning, and will spend three weeks exploring northern Idaho and NE Washington.

Marvin, I figured the weather you been getting has been similar to down here. Any certain areas you plan to fish after you head south? Please let me know if you spot any sunshine.

mofretwell
06-02-2010, 05:26 PM
We left B.C. yesterday. We're back in Vancouver, WA today. Rain all day today on the freeway. Huge puddles -- two cars flipped over and on their tops -- but we came through in fine shape. No more fishing for about a month. Then, hopefully, over to Hebgen Lake in Montana.