PDA

View Full Version : Japanese kitchen blade that failed

Martin Brandt
03-10-2010, 01:42 AM
Tried something new for me today. It was to be a large Japanese type kitchen blade. Wrought Iron on the right side and road grader blade on the left. Started with 100yr. old fine wrought from a 1" jail bar from up in Washington. Forged it down to 1 1/4"x9/16"x 6" preform. Then sawed off a 5/8"x 3 1/2" slice of grader blade. I think they are 01. Forged it out to match the wrought preform but 4 1/2" long. The tang will be wrought. Ramped up to welding speed and stuck um together. Few more times in for a good all over stick. Then came the hard work of spreading and drawing out. Got the hi-carbon covered portion drawn out to 7+inches and started the cut to begin the tang upset and draw, started good, then disaster. :( Cracked/crumbled most of the way apart right at the hicarb end of the back end of the blade. Too much flexing difference there, or I forged too cold. The hicarb really stiffens it. I may be able to grind it and weld some mild for a tang, and forge the weld well. We'll see. I've never forged wrought this much. This is some really refined wrought, should etch very nice if I am up to the task, and can complete this. Got too watch a Japanese smith, Ashi San at an NWBA conference in Oct. of 06 forge one of these with a pwr. hammer. That sure made it a lot easier. He used mild steel for the right side, and white paper steel #2 which is 1.0-1.1% carbon and no other alloys for the cutting edge. The bevel is ground only on the right side, while the left has a very slight concave surface, about the radius of a 12ft. circle. He quenched in water and tempers at only 240-260. This leaves them very hard and a bit brittle for our tastes, but they are really big on edge holding if you never chop, or twist on the cutting board. If I get er done, I'll probably temper a bit hotter. I hope the fire burns all the bad MOJO out of the old jail bar.;)

Eli Gautreaux
03-10-2010, 06:24 AM
That's too bad it didn't work out. Those words --- "then diaster" --- are too familiar with me as well, lol.

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out once the bad Mojo is gone...

Raymond Richard
03-13-2010, 10:52 AM
Marty, Failure is part of the game. I find it makes things a lot more interesting. I'll probably be seeing you in a few hours. Don't drink all the punch before I get there........