PDA

View Full Version : FUNERAL WITH BAGPIPES

Raymond Richard
02-23-2010, 09:04 AM
FUNERAL WITH BAGPIPES

As a bagpiper, I play many gigs. Recently I was asked by a funeral director to play at a grave-side service for a homeless man. He had no family or friends, so the service was to be at a pauper's cemetery in the Kentucky back-country.

As I was not familiar with the backwoods, I got lost; and being a typical man I didn't stop for directions. I finally arrived an hour late and saw the funeral guy had evidently gone and the hearse was nowhere in sight.

There were only the diggers and crew left and they were eating lunch. I felt badly and apologized to the men for being late. I went to the side of the grave and looked down and the vault lid was already in place. I didn't know what else to do, so I started to play.

The workers put down their lunches and began to gather around. I played out my heart and soul for this man with no family and friends. I played like I've never played before for this homeless man.

And as I played "Amazing Grace" the workers began to weep. They wept, I wept, we all wept together. When I finished I packed up my bagpipes and started for my car. Though my head hung low, my heart was full.

As I was opening the door to my car, I heard one of the workers say, "Sweet Mother of Jesus, I never seen nothin' like that before and I've been putting in septic tanks for over twenty years."

stabber
02-23-2010, 09:22 AM
Very Cool Ray!!

My niece married a Scottish fella and there were Bagpipes playing all day. I love the Sound.
My Father inlaw used to play the Accordion, Another cool Instrument2thumbs

johnny warner
02-23-2010, 10:58 AM
Good-un!

Peter Killgore
02-23-2010, 08:05 PM
Funny funny! I always wanted to learn how to play the bagpipes.

BossDog
02-23-2010, 08:07 PM
:D:D:D

Eli Gautreaux
02-23-2010, 08:44 PM
good one ray!

Sean Cochran
02-23-2010, 09:35 PM
We sure do appreciate 'ya playin for us Ray, it was real nice. :);)

Denny Eller
02-23-2010, 10:03 PM
:haha: You're making my sides hurt Capt. Rayhab

Martin Brandt
02-24-2010, 01:58 AM
I do love the pipes Ray me boy. Must have something to do with the wee bit o Scotts blood in me. Did I ever tell ya about the drunk Scottsman who grew tired on the way home from the pub and stopped to take a bit of a nap under an oak at the side of the road?;)

Raymond Richard
02-24-2010, 02:33 AM
I do love the pipes Ray me boy. Must have something to do with the wee bit o Scotts blood in me. Did I ever tell ya about the drunk Scottsman who grew tired on the way home from the pub and stopped to take a bit of a nap under an oak at the side of the road?;)

Tell me Marty.......

joe sangster
02-24-2010, 09:27 AM
You had me crying, just thinking about "Amazing Grace " rendered on the pipes ,then made me bust a gut laughing at the end. Best one I've heard lately.

Thanks ,
Joe

Dusty One
02-26-2010, 09:23 AM
Ray you really had me going on that one. Good one !
Do like the Bag pipes....

LR Adkins
02-26-2010, 11:01 AM
:haha: Ray you got me on that one. I don't know if the tears were harder reading the story or from laughing at the end.:unsure:2thumbs

Larry

ddavelarsen
02-27-2010, 07:32 AM
Here I thought we were learning something new about Ray... I was psyched! The worst part of this is that I'd read that joke a couple days before and still didn't see it coming! :D