PDA

View Full Version : best drift source?

NickWheeler
02-19-2010, 11:29 PM
Hey Ray-

Wondering what the best source for a tomahawk drift is? I know BlackSmithDepot has them, and so does Rade Hawkins. Not sure who else.

Who's got the best drift? I'm more concerned with quality than price.

Thanks buddy :) cool 1

Raymond Richard
02-20-2010, 12:01 AM
Hey Ray-

Wondering what the best source for a tomahawk drift is? I know BlackSmithDepot has them, and so does Rade Hawkins. Not sure who else.

Who's got the best drift? I'm more concerned with quality than price.

Thanks buddy :) cool 1

Nick, Rade may have drifts but I haven't checked with him in years. The last two I bought came BSD. They had a pretty rough surface but I felt they were good quality. All are ductile iron. The first drift I bought was the best one but I sure can't remember for sure where I'd got it but it could have come with Rade. Seems like the last time I did Blade Rade had several on hand but that was 2007.

Rusty McDonald
02-20-2010, 12:30 AM
I think AL's (riversidemachine) sells them as well, Dont know about the quality but most every thing he sells is good stuff.

ChuckBurrows
02-20-2010, 01:24 PM
Suggestion - IMO get one that will fit the handles from Dunlap Wood Products (the best of the pre-made handles), especially if youre planning on making any pipehawks since you can get them pre-drilled......

Raymond Richard
02-20-2010, 01:43 PM
Suggestion - IMO get one that will fit the handles from Dunlap Wood Products (the best of the pre-made handles), especially if youre planning on making any pipehawks since you can get them pre-drilled......

Hey Chuck, you old geeser! Thanks for dropping by! I agree 100% about Dunlaps hawk handles. I've bought drifts from 3 different outfits over the years and have yet to find one that fits perfectly to the hafts. Normally I will have to remove some material from the haft. There's also a chance I'm doing something wrong since I'm still in the learning process. I don't do as many as a few years ago so everytime I do a new one I'm relearning what I had forgotten. Is it still 5 bucks extra for one with the hole pre drilled? They also give a good break on the price if you order more than 10 or 12. I've still got a half dozen left from ordering 3 or 4 years ago. Hawks sure aren't as hot an item as there were 4 or 5 years ago.

NickWheeler
02-22-2010, 04:09 PM
Thank you guys for the help!

Ray, you would have gotten a kick out of one of my last outings. Angi and I went hiking down around Bonneville in Beacon Rock State Park. Since I used to work for a guide doing oversized sturgeon trips, I took her down to the river near the dam, to show her some old stomping grounds :)

There's a big huge mass of sturgeon writhing around each other by the dam, just barely under the surface. At least a thousand fish!!! Everything from little 24" bambinos, to some big monsters. We saw one in the group on Saturday that was in the 11-12' range!!!! Nobody seems to know why they're doing it... maybe protection from all those darn sea lions (that's just one theory).

Anyway, I know you posted some pics awhile back of reeling in a big one, and you crossed my mind when we were down there.

Thanks again guys! cool 1 2thumbs

Allen Newberry
02-22-2010, 04:16 PM
Anyway, I know you posted some pics awhile back of reeling in a big one, and you crossed my mind when we were down there.

You were probably wishing you had that harpoon.

Raymond Richard
02-22-2010, 04:45 PM
Thank you guys for the help!

Ray, you would have gotten a kick out of one of my last outings. Angi and I went hiking down around Bonneville in Beacon Rock State Park. Since I used to work for a guide doing oversized sturgeon trips, I took her down to the river near the dam, to show her some old stomping grounds :)

There's a big huge mass of sturgeon writhing around each other by the damn, just barely under the surface. At least a thousand fish!!! Everything from little 24" bambinos, to some big monsters. We saw one in the group on Saturday that was in the 11-12' range!!!! Nobody seems to know why they're doing it... maybe protection from all those darn sea lions (that's just one theory).

Thanks again guys! cool 1 2thumbs

Nick, Who know what those sturgeons were up to. I had seen catfish when I was a kid doing something similar but they were mostly all hatchlings. If you go to this link: http://www.anglerinnovations.com/pages/sturgeon.aspx and scroll down towards the bottom of the page you'll see the pictures of me whopping a sturgeon. There's also a picture of a sea monster there to. This is my buddy Steve's website, he's Chinook on this forum when he's not fishing or trying to sell his products. There's a video of a sturgeon ball here also.

Allen, There is only one thing more protected than the oversized white sturgeon and that's the sea lion. They can sure wreck fishing fast but they sure are precious in the eyes of the government.

Peter Killgore
02-22-2010, 07:45 PM
Quite the fish there Ray! That looks like it was up by marker 85? I'm getting excited for sturgeon this year. My dad and I try to get out at least once a week once the sturgeon are in and thick. We'll have get you out to our "secret" hole(as long as you promise not to tell where it is). :D

Allen Newberry
02-22-2010, 08:22 PM
I checked out that site. I had no idea those got that big!

Raymond Richard
02-22-2010, 08:42 PM
Quite the fish there Ray! That looks like it was up by marker 85? I'm getting excited for sturgeon this year. My dad and I try to get out at least once a week once the sturgeon are in and thick. We'll have get you out to our "secret" hole(as long as you promise not to tell where it is). :D

Peter, I'd like to catch a keeper someday. That was the only sturgeon I have ever caught. One time is enough. They sure take you for a ride. We were fishing at Steve's secret hole. I'd better not tell you where it was.

Allen, These are huge fish and pretty well protected. Regulations are pretty strict on what you can keep. I'm not real sure what they are now since they seem to change them all the time but I'm guessing 42" to 60" can be kept. Anything smaller or larger must be released.

Peter Killgore
02-22-2010, 09:12 PM
Ray, they changed the measurements again for this year(or maybe it was last). Anyways, it's 38" to 54" and they measure from the fork of the tail now. Why they changed it I don't know since it's still the same size fish pretty much. The keepers are a lot less tiring than the oversize. I hooked an oversize last year that was probably around 10'. He ended up breaking the line but I could tell there was no slowing him down for a long time. My dad got a 5' keeper and it fought for a half hour before we got it in the boat. Those things sure are amazing creatures.

Raymond Richard
02-22-2010, 09:48 PM
Ray, they changed the measurements again for this year(or maybe it was last). Anyways, it's 38" to 54" and they measure from the fork of the tail now. Why they changed it I don't know since it's still the same size fish pretty much. The keepers are a lot less tiring than the oversize. I hooked an oversize last year that was probably around 10'. He ended up breaking the line but I could tell there was no slowing him down for a long time. My dad got a 5' keeper and it fought for a half hour before we got it in the boat. Those things sure are amazing creatures.

The one that I caught in those photo's was around 10'. I caught a 220 halibut off of Sitka, Alaska in 97. It was a battle getting it in but the big sturgeon I caught really out fought it.

NickWheeler
02-23-2010, 12:30 PM
Geez Ray, I didn't realize your hog was so big! :eek:

Biggest one I personally ever hooked was 6'7".... biggest one we brought to the boat at Bonneville was 12' Obviously we had to let the clients real that one in :( ;)

Funny thing about that page of your friend's Ray. My dad was showing me some sturgeon stuff online and I saw a photo and said, "Hey, that looks like Ray Richard fighting that fish!" He scrolled up and sure enough, there was your name, lol :D

I had seen that video your friend has embedded on his site, but the page that goes with it says the "fish ball" was about 40-50 feet down.... the mass I saw of them was right at the surface.... So weird! :eek:

Angi, Erin, and I were watching the sturgeon when a big, ugly 800 pound-ish sea lion surfaced near us. Someone may or may not have chucked a couple of baseball sized rocks right at that ugly mother!!! huh1 2guns

Earlier in the day there were two sea lions tearing a sturgeon apart right near the fishing cut-off line below the dam :mad: :mad: :mad:

I sure hope they can put a stop to it. I know I could pretty easily with a 7mm and an afternoon.... but I'm not sure how much of my life would be spent in prison after that:unsure: lol

NickWheeler
02-23-2010, 12:35 PM
BTW- Have any of you guys went to see Herman the sturgeon at the Bonnville dam hatchery???

He's 10'4", 450#, and estimated at 70 years old!!!

The really weird thing is all the captive sturgeon there have nearly no scutes (their "diamond plating")

Herman is has an abnormally large gerth..... even for a 10' fish!

Raymond Richard
02-23-2010, 01:03 PM
BTW- Have any of you guys went to see Herman the sturgeon at the Bonnville dam hatchery???

He's 10'4", 450#, and estimated at 70 years old!!!

The really weird thing is all the captive sturgeon there have nearly no scutes (their "diamond plating")

Herman is has an abnormally large gerth..... even for a 10' fish!

Nick, I have seen Herman many times over the years. I enjoy seeing him and feeding those pig trout in the pond next door.

I spent several months working on the new lock there. Somewhere in front of the down hill gate my new 12" chrome plated adjustable wrench is hiding. I was the foreman in charge of building both visitor centers on the lock. What a nasty and sometimes very scary job that was.

I'll watch some of the fishing shows in the morning. I always get a kick out of the fisherman right after they catch a bass when they say how many pounds that fish weighs. Usually the real weight is half of what they say.

They are sure changing the area for salmon sport fishing here this year. Sounds like it could just be west of the Interstate bridge and at best west of the 205 bridge. The gill netters aren't getting there fish, there blaming the sport fisherman for that.

From drifts to fishing! What more could we ask for? :D

Peter Killgore
02-23-2010, 08:03 PM
Geez Ray, I didn't realize your hog was so big! :eek:

Biggest one I personally ever hooked was 6'7".... biggest one we brought to the boat at Bonneville was 12' Obviously we had to let the clients real that one in :( ;)

Funny thing about that page of your friend's Ray. My dad was showing me some sturgeon stuff online and I saw a photo and said, "Hey, that looks like Ray Richard fighting that fish!" He scrolled up and sure enough, there was your name, lol :D

I had seen that video your friend has embedded on his site, but the page that goes with it says the "fish ball" was about 40-50 feet down.... the mass I saw of them was right at the surface.... So weird! :eek:

Angi, Erin, and I were watching the sturgeon when a big, ugly 800 pound-ish sea lion surfaced near us. Someone may or may not have chucked a couple of baseball sized rocks right at that ugly mother!!! huh1 2guns

Earlier in the day there were two sea lions tearing a sturgeon apart right near the fishing cut-off line below the dam :mad: :mad: :mad:

I sure hope they can put a stop to it. I know I could pretty easily with a 7mm and an afternoon.... but I'm not sure how much of my life would be spent in prison after that:unsure: lol

I think they should just open up a hunting season on sea lions. :D I can break in my .300 and break a few sea lions heads while I'm at it. 2guns Anyone ever try sea lion meat?

Raymond Richard
02-23-2010, 08:28 PM
I think they should just open up a hunting season on sea lions. :D I can break in my .300 and break a few sea lions heads while I'm at it. 2guns Anyone ever try sea lion meat?

Peter, I don't think polar bears will eat the sea lions. Our best bet is killer whales.

NickWheeler
02-24-2010, 12:28 AM
I'm with ya Peter!!!

I drove my dad down there tonight so he could see all the sturgeon. There were at least a couple dozen in the group that were oversize. Even saw a couple little 15" bambinos today!!! Only seen one smaller than that before.

Ray, I never thought about you working on all of that. That is SOOOO COOL!!! cool 1 2thumbs cool 1

I've been to the visitor centers and they're awesome. We took a guided tour on the WA side. Those turbines are really something!!! :eek: