PDA

View Full Version : Finally, some new shorts........

Raymond Richard
02-18-2010, 04:41 PM
Did I say shorts? Meant to say sheaths. They are something I have always struggled with especially when I destroy one when I'm hot waxing them. I left the deep fried sheath in the picture. Kind of looks like alligator hide now.

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_2103.JPG

LR Adkins
02-18-2010, 11:13 PM
Nice looking sheaths Ray.

I like the texture on the deep fried one. Five out of six ain't bad. At least you're not afraid to show your mistakes.

Larry

Raymond Richard
02-19-2010, 02:30 AM
Nice looking sheaths Ray.

I like the texture on the deep fried one. Five out of six ain't bad. At least you're not afraid to show your mistakes.

Larry

Larry, Mistakes always seem to happen. Seems like just about every time I do sheaths there's one crispy critter. I was trying to force dry the dye on a sheath a couple years ago in a toaster over. That was another mistake seeing it burst into flames right before my eyes.

Mike Barton
02-19-2010, 08:16 AM
Seems like just about every time I do sheaths there's one crispy critter. I was trying to force dry the dye on a sheath a couple years ago in a toaster over. That was another mistake seeing it burst into flames right before my eyes.

As you're still with us Ray...that must have been a pretty funny lesson after you got the fire put out and your heart slowed down :eek:

Really like your new shorts, they complement the knives that are wearing them.

I agree with Larry on liking the deep fried texture, Maybe you could figure out how to over size the sheath when stitching it up and start a new trend in sheathmaking.

Raymond Richard
02-19-2010, 10:48 AM
As you're still with us Ray...that must have been a pretty funny lesson after you got the fire put out and your heart slowed down :eek:

Really like your new shorts, they complement the knives that are wearing them.

I agree with Larry on liking the deep fried texture, Maybe you could figure out how to over size the sheath when stitching it up and start a new trend in sheathmaking.

Mike, Maybe we can raffle it off? Pre historic man skin sheath found in pre historic man's shop. Actually the other side still looks pretty good. :D I'll just call it half bad sheath.

Martin Brandt
02-21-2010, 02:31 AM
Kinda looks like elephant hide Ray, way ta go. (He said while looking down at his still badly briused hand that got severly whacked by an object that got caught in a wire wheel mounted to a bench grinder a few days ago.:(.)

Lorien
02-23-2010, 04:10 PM
those look good to me buddy. I don't go for fancy stuff, I far prefer functional things. Think I've said it before...scooter 1

Anyway, I always wax leather, in that I'm in the bush a lot and take good care of my footwear. My dad, also a vet, used to tell me that it's real important to take care of your feet, and judging by the conditions as he described em, I'm inclined to go along with his advice.
I use Snoseal on my boots and warm up the oven to 180 degrees, turn it off, throw in the boots and turn it on to 180 every little while as it cools down, and keep a good eye on em. Usually takes 20 minutes to half an hour to get there. General rule is that if I start smelling them, they're ready.
The Snoseal goes in there too til it's just shy of totally liquifying. Then I pull one boot out at a time and wax the hell out of em until there's a nice layer over top of all that's soaked in. Then I store em by the baseboard for the night, and put them in the cold garage after that.
Snoseal is good in that it neither softens nor stiffens the leather.
I do the same thing with the sheaths I've been making, and what I've found is that they are great for storing knives in. Never had any rusting having a dry knife stored in a dry sheath. Wet is another story, but that's just bad maintenance.
The dies and chemicals that a lot of leather is treated makes things pretty, but I don't think I'll ever use other than veg tan with wax.

What sort of wax do you use, Ray?

Raymond Richard
02-23-2010, 04:28 PM
Lorien, Its a secret. You ask why? I've added several different things to it over the last 3 years so it just keeps changing. There's regular canning wax, bees wax, and several contains of a military shoe goop I picked up at the surplus store. There's a few other things I also added. Probably Snow Seal and something very similar to to that. Before I put the sheaths into the hot wax I first warm them up to 170 degrees and it helps the wax to be absorbed even better. After about a 7 second dip I'll let the excess drain off and then go back in the oven for a few more minutes till the gloss is gone. Then its pretty similar to wet setting a sheath.

LR Adkins
02-23-2010, 08:43 PM
Ray, I had three sheaths in the oven when my brother called to tell me about the big buck ha killed and I forgot about my sheaths until my wife smelled them burning. When I got to them they looked like three baked bananas with the skins on them.

My wife made me buy her a new stove and moved the old one to the garage.

Larry

Eli Gautreaux
02-23-2010, 08:46 PM
Those look good Ray, goodfor you for finally getting them done!

Raymond Richard
02-23-2010, 09:15 PM
Ray, I had three sheaths in the oven when my brother called to tell me about the big buck ha killed and I forgot about my sheaths until my wife smelled them burning. When I got to them they looked like three baked bananas with the skins on them.

My wife made me buy her a new stove and moved the old one to the garage.

Larry

Larry, That was a bad mistake. Your lucky you didn't have to redo the kitchen. I tell guys to only use the oven when there wife isn't home.

Eli, When you see me making sheaths this early in the year that's a good sign I got tired of making knives.

Dusty One
02-26-2010, 09:28 AM
Great lookin leather work and of course the knives in them.....

ddavelarsen
02-27-2010, 07:35 AM
I don't think there's anything prettier (on this forum anyway) than a bunch of Richard knives laid out in their sheaths. What a sight. Thanks Ray! You're always an inspiration.