PDA

View Full Version : Carry Assisted Open

DKA
02-13-2010, 03:38 PM
My assisted open is a Gerber Fast Draw. Opens easy and sharpens well at a reasonable price.

Frstr8
02-13-2010, 05:14 PM
My AO EDC is a ZT 0350. I love it and on the plus side Kershaw is a great company with outstanding customer service.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e171/frstr8/Knives/DSC_0529.jpg

the_mudshark
02-17-2010, 09:27 PM
My assisted open is a Gerber Fast Draw. Opens easy and sharpens well at a reasonable price.

I have a couple of these also well. Favorite EDC until I discovered a rather annoying "feature" -- knife will open on its own if dropped on tile floor or other smooth, hard surface. One instance an inch or so from my bare foot put them into the "to sell" box. Nice knife otherwise...

DKA
03-06-2010, 06:36 PM
I have a couple of these also well. Favorite EDC until I discovered a rather annoying "feature" -- knife will open on its own if dropped on tile floor or other smooth, hard surface. One instance an inch or so from my bare foot put them into the "to sell" box. Nice knife otherwise...

Glad that you posted that, now carry SOG Flash II, very good knife and has a safety.

SSandshark1050
03-07-2010, 12:27 AM
I use a Camillus Dominator titanium frame lock. Very awesome knife.

Jim Adams Customs
03-12-2010, 04:27 AM
My Favorite EDC AO was Kershaw. I got a heck of deal on Buck Rush 154cm. I am going to love this one.

howiesatwork
03-14-2010, 05:15 PM
I use a Camillus Dominator titanium frame lock. Very awesome knife.

Same here. The only thing I need is a Titanium pocket clip to replace the stainless on on it, which I have sproinked 5 or 6 times...

Fletch Helical
03-14-2010, 07:10 PM
My speed assist seems to have fizzled out on my Kershaw blackout... No idea why it's not working correctly. But yes I have had it open by itself as well the times I've dropped it.

Mr. Knife Guy
03-15-2010, 08:35 PM
I like the ZT 0350, too. A very nice knife for the price.

CDHumiston
03-15-2010, 09:07 PM

That's what I'm carrying too. I got it for Xmas and it's holding up well. I have been abusing it cutting wire and heavy duty antenna cable. It holds an edge well and sharpens very easy. And I don't have to worry about ruining an expensive knife. The way I use a knife at work I rarely carry anything that costs more than $60-$80

jdkno
04-08-2010, 10:01 PM
I love my Fastdraw, I have put mine through the wringer and it still functions 100%
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd264/01TruBluGT/whole.jpg
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd264/01TruBluGT/Side2a.jpg
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd264/01TruBluGT/side1.jpg

Since it has served me well I have retired it from EDC, this is my new rotation.

CRKT M16-14 - Not assisted but with the flipper tab and the blade weight it opens up pretty quick.
Kershaw Tanto Blur - For the price I don't think it can be beat, it springs out with force, holds an edge, sharpens easily, and I don't think I paid but about $40 for it.
Microtech Ultratec 05/2007 date stamped. Even after almost 3 years it still fires hard and retracts just as well.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd264/01TruBluGT/edc.jpg

Dusty One
04-26-2010, 07:21 AM
Have had a Kershaw Leek in my pocket for years. Very handy....

Matt Gleash
04-26-2010, 11:17 AM
My speed assist seems to have fizzled out on my Kershaw blackout... No idea why it's not working correctly. But yes I have had it open by itself as well the times I've dropped it.

Fletch, I've been EDC'ing my Kershaw Blackout since they first came out years ago, and occasionally it seems to slow down a bit, or get sluggish. What I do is give it a good cleaning and lubricate the pivot area with a couple of drops of Sentry Solutions Tuff Glide...usually brings it right back. Hope that helps some. -Matt-

Fletch Helical
04-26-2010, 11:21 AM
Fletch, I've been EDC'ing my Kershaw Blackout since they first came out years ago, and occasionally it seems to slow down a bit, or get sluggish. What I do is give it a good cleaning and lubricate the pivot area with a couple of drops of Sentry Solutions Tuff Glide...usually brings it right back. Hope that helps some. -Matt-

Thanks, I figured out the torsion bar is shot on it. I called them and they said that it's what the problem is. They actually sent me out 2 new torsion bars for it, I just haven't replaced it yet because there is a screw that they had a special tool made for them to remove. It's essentially like a Corby rivet however it doesn't accept 2 screwdrivers to take it apart. I just haven't had the patience to monkey with it lately. Mine wasn't slow or sluggish.. it just did nothing when I tried to open it, it was like opening any other folder.

Matt Gleash
04-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Well that sucks! I hope you get that problem fixed soon.

I've never heard of a knife company giving a customer the parts and having them fix it themselves.:confused: Just doesn't seem right to me. -Matt-

Frstr8
04-26-2010, 01:01 PM
Well that sucks! I hope you get that problem fixed soon.

I've never heard of a knife company giving a customer the parts and having them fix it themselves.:confused: Just doesn't seem right to me. -Matt-

Kershaw will do both. You can send it in and they will fix it and sharpen it, general spa treatment or you can get the parts and do it yourself. I have dealt with them several times and they always say send it in, I ask for the parts though and they send them. They also sent me the Kershaw torx tool and the new screws for the G - 10 scales. They have always been a great company to deal with.

Matt Gleash
04-26-2010, 01:26 PM
Kershaw will do both. You can send it in and they will fix it and sharpen it, general spa treatment or you can get the parts and do it yourself. I have dealt with them several times and they always say send it in, I ask for the parts though and they send them. They also sent me the Kershaw torx tool and the new screws for the G - 10 scales. They have always been a great company to deal with.

Ok, my bad! I was assuming that they weren' giving folks an option for those kinds of repairs! I try to keep the assumtions to a minimum, but sometimes they get the best of me! :o Thanks! -Matt-

Fletch Helical
04-26-2010, 01:50 PM
Yeah they offered to send it in. I figured it would be quicker to just do it myself. However with that one screw giving me problems, for the time I've shelved it, I could have sent it back and had it back in my hands by now :o

Frstr8
04-26-2010, 01:58 PM
Yeah they offered to send it in. I figured it would be quicker to just do it myself. However with that one screw giving me problems, for the time I've shelved it, I could have sent it back and had it back in my hands by now :o

Fletch, could you post a picture of the pivot screw your talking about?

SCALPHUNTER
05-29-2010, 08:24 AM

I recommend the SOG Flash ll, not only do you have to use the thumb stud to start the assisted openong mechanism, but it also has a "safety" switch to keep it from opening by accident. The "action" on this knife is incredibly fast.

TommyD
10-01-2012, 07:42 PM
I have to second the SOG Flash II. The main drawback on this edc is that it is so light I keep forgetting it in my pocket and toss it in the laundry. It is sharp, incredibly fast, perfect blade shape, has super locking strength, and is as durable as they come. BTW ... No I am not a salesman for SOG knives!!!

John Hopkins
09-09-2013, 03:59 PM
I believe all of these blades are great carry knifes no matter the occasion. I always carry one of mine Emersons. Not just because of the quality of the blade or how you can beat it to death, but Emerson represent. Mr. Emerson looks out for all Military men and women. His company has full support for the men and women that are protecting our country. He is also a moral man. He isn't in the company just because of the money, he is in it to provide people with what they need. Btw I do not work for emerson just in case.

Dipti13
11-09-2014, 10:51 AM
I have recently purchased Tac Force assisted opening knife which was on sale and I think it is best. Although I am not very much in favor of assisted opening knives because of their security purpose but sometimes it is fine to have at least one such product in your inventory (as a knife collector).