PDA

View Full Version : KBAC-27D on a GFIC

Johnny Roberts
02-08-2010, 06:38 PM
Rob,

I figured I would ask here before I call an electrician.

I have been running my KMG with a step-pully setup and just upgraded with one of your KBAC-27D units.

As you can tell by the title, I have GFI circuits in my garage. I was hoping for the best but it throws them as soon as I engage the START switch.

I plugged it into an outlet that was not connected to a GFIC and it is fantastic. I just don't thing the yellow cord running through the living room is going to work!

A friend of mine stated that the GFIC outlets can be wired several different ways and one of those ways might allow it to work. He also stated that removing the GFIC form the garage all together in the garage would be a pain in the butt.

Any recommendations that I you might have would be appreciated. I have seen the "Special software" offer form KB in the manual but wanted to ask you first.

Thanks for your time,

Johnny Roberts

rfrink
02-09-2010, 08:47 AM
Hi Johnny,

I ran into this once before. Actually I'm suprised that we don't hear about it more often...because I've learned that modern building codes require GFI in garages.

Anyway...this is beyond my level of expertise and I'm not able to advise with any knowledge or experience.

I looked into the KB solutions about a year ago when I first ran into this with another customer. I understood it to be somewhat of a special order/custom controller with different software code to make it work better with GFI...but that it was not perfect and that there is still a strong likelyhood tripping. So we abandonded the idea.

I'm not familiar with GFI circuits.. are they just special outlets in the wall?...or do they have special breakers as well?
If it just an outlet..or receptical, then my thought is that it might be replaced with a standard-non-GFI receptical. If it is a circuit breaker, then perhaps it might be replaced with a standard, non GFI breaker. Again, I cannot advise on making these changes, or on electrical codes...or on safety requirements. I advise that you consult with a professional in this area.

I just did a quick web search on GFI and see that there is a lot of info.

Keep us posted with your progress. Sorry that I'm not more helpful in this area.

-Rob

Johnny Roberts
02-09-2010, 09:38 AM
Thanks, Rob. I will keep you posted on what the outcome is.

I appreciate your feedback.

Anyone else run into this problem?

JR

02-15-2010, 02:05 PM
There is another thread on this - I just read this week...here, or on Bladeforums.
I cannot find it right now though.

As I understand it,

If there is a GFI outlet in a circuit of 4 outlets, putting the GFI outlet in the 4th position- farthest away from the breaker panel protects all outlets.
(likely this is how you have it installed)

If you were to move the GFI outlet to 3 rd position, then the 4 th is "normal" and will run that VFD and grinder without interference, yet the remaining 3 outlets will be still be GFI protected.

PT Doc
12-05-2012, 07:43 PM
There is another thread on this - I just read this week...here, or on Bladeforums.
I cannot find it right now though.

As I understand it,

If there is a GFI outlet in a circuit of 4 outlets, putting the GFI outlet in the 4th position- farthest away from the breaker panel protects all outlets.
(likely this is how you have it installed)

If you were to move the GFI outlet to 3 rd position, then the 4 th is "normal" and will run that VFD and grinder without interference, yet the remaining 3 outlets will be still be GFI protected.

I'm resurrecting an old thread because I think this is incorrect. I am under the impression that a circuit with gfi outlet will protect all outlets downstream from it. Therefore the gfi needs to be closest to the breaker to protect any other outlets. Correct?