PDA

View Full Version : Saw steel revisited

Raymond Richard
02-03-2010, 11:28 PM
Got the urge yesterday to do some forging and the steel of the day was the same saw steel that I made the last fighter from. I cut off two 1 1/2" strips about 7" long and forge welded then and then forged the blade. Got the heat treating and grinding done today. Tomorrow I start hand rubbing and hopefully start putting this bowie together or at least get the parts on the blade. I did 3 thermal cycles this time before hardening and it looks like there's even more pattern in the steel this time. The pieces in the photo will be used to finish off this knife. The dog must have drug the brown thing in.

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_2072.JPG

Peter Killgore
02-04-2010, 08:10 AM
That is an amazing hamon!! I think this one should be called "Peter's knife" :D

Raymond Richard
02-04-2010, 05:40 PM
I did the first hand rub today and that's it. Always a bigger job that I think it will be.

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_2074.JPG

LR Adkins
02-04-2010, 08:02 PM
Ray, I really like the shape of that blade, nice hamon too.

Larry

Denny Eller
02-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Wow! That's all. Wow!

Peter Killgore
02-04-2010, 09:45 PM
You might have to show me how to build a forge like yours so I can forge weld sawsteel. I think I could talk a few of my neighbors out of old crosscuts. Might have to make them a knife out of it. That blade is looking extremely nice. Lot's of finesse! What's that "brown thing the dog dragged in?"

Eli Gautreaux
02-04-2010, 09:49 PM
NICE Ray!

What's that handle material --- looks like my color :D

Raymond Richard
02-04-2010, 11:18 PM
You might have to show me how to build a forge like yours so I can forge weld sawsteel. I think I could talk a few of my neighbors out of old crosscuts. Might have to make them a knife out of it. That blade is looking extremely nice. Lot's of finesse! What's that "brown thing the dog dragged in?"

Peter, If the brown thing isn't an Oregon slug it must be a piece of ivory in the rough. I had to much temptation at last years Oregon Knife Show. There was an ivory dealer right across the isle from me. This will be a first for me using ivory. I hope the pressure doesn't get to me and I screw it up. See what happens tomorrow.

Pretty simple forge and burner. All you need is a cereal box and your half way there. You know where I live. Come over one of these days and I'll show you what you need and how to make it. As for the cross cut saw there trickier to weld up cause there so thin. I got a couple blisters in the billet I tried plus the cross cut steel makes excellent sockets for harpoons.

Rusty McDonald
02-04-2010, 11:57 PM
Dang can I borrow your dog for a week or two?

Chuck Brooks
02-05-2010, 05:39 AM
Ray that's another one to bring to Tucson, I'm anxious to see the handle finished out. What kind of sheath is planned for these?
Chuck

Eli Gautreaux
02-05-2010, 07:16 AM
Peter, If the brown thing isn't an Oregon slug it must be a piece of ivory in the rough. I had to much temptation at last years Oregon Knife Show. There was an ivory dealer right across the isle from me. This will be a first for me using ivory. I hope the pressure doesn't get to me and I screw it up. See what happens tomorrow.

I'm excited to see this one come out Ray 2thumbs

Raymond Richard
02-05-2010, 09:37 AM
I think I'm going to go fishing today. Just don't feel like going in the shop. :D

The way this day is starting out I'm not sure if I should do anything. I've been laying in bed I'm sure for over an hour not bothering to get up cause I think we lost power over night and I find out I'm wrong. Now I'm not sure if I was dreaming or what.

Now that the blade is at the stage where I normally start the assemble process I'm going to follow my set in stone procedure. Pretty sure I'm going to go with an S guard and a wrought iron spacer so I'll get those slotted first and if it looks like its going to be one of those days where I shouldn't be in the shop I plan to stop. The ivory has got me a little gun shy and I know I'm going to have to change it a great deal to work on this knife also. I got the ivory jitters.

Chuck, as far as a sheath goes it will be one of mine. It could happen right away and it could also happen a couple weeks before the Oregon Show. Awake I'm not........

mofretwell
02-05-2010, 09:40 AM
I second Chuck's request. The grain looks absolutely fantastic. I love the deep blade.

Raymond Richard
02-05-2010, 02:13 PM
I second Chuck's request. The grain looks absolutely fantastic. I love the deep blade.

Marvin, You sure you and Chuck aren't related? You know what they say about birds of a feather? :D I may send it out to Tai's also if I don't screw it up.

I made it out the the shop. Took another look at what I had to work with and decided to light up the forge to burn off the chill before I decided to work on the new knife. Instead of starting on the fitting I decided to go after the ivory instead. I cut both ends of the ivory and ended up with a piece just under 4". I then marked where I wanted to make the tang slot and all went well. Next I started shaping the ivory and things also went well but I did learn a few things for the next time if I decided to purchase any more ivory. I ran into a section that ended up having a pretty deep imperfection but was able to grind away the problem spot without destroying what I already had.

This is what I ended with.

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_2077.JPG

Peter Killgore
02-05-2010, 05:27 PM
I think I'm going to go fishing today. Just don't feel like going in the shop. :D

FISHING??? Boy if that don't take the cake! I was in an MRI today. Just got home from the doc for my shoulder. I wish I could have been fishing although the Sandy is clearer than glass. I doubt any of those steelies are gonna bite anytime soon.

The knife is looking great! That blade is something else.

Raymond Richard
02-05-2010, 05:45 PM
FISHING??? Boy if that don't take the cake! I was in an MRI today. Just got home from the doc for my shoulder. I wish I could have been fishing although the Sandy is clearer than glass. I doubt any of those steelies are gonna bite anytime soon.

The knife is looking great! That blade is something else.

Peter, I watched a show today on ice fishing. Looks like it would be fun to try. The two fellows caught there limit on perch and crappie. They also caught a nice size pike. Other than catching a few small stocker's at Simtussas last year I was skunked on the Columbia. Maybe this year although I heard all salmon fishing on the Columbia will not be allowed east of the Interstate Bridge. That maybe the 205 bridge. Guess the gill netters aren't getting there quota's cause the sports fisherman are getting all the fish. What a bunch of bull, can't win for losing.

Your to young to be getting an MRI. Is the shoulder problem related to your swimming? It can't be from forging.....

I've got all the piece on the knife now. Each fitting is from a different wagon wheel.

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_2079.JPG

Peter Killgore
02-05-2010, 05:53 PM
Ice fishing, now that just sounds way too cold! I think I'll stick to winter steelies as far as cold goes.

I think the shoulder problem has to be related to my swimming(it's for sure preventing me from swimming and districts are next weekend). It's my left shoulder and I don't forge with my left arm so I don't see how that could be causing the problem. Besides, I haven't forged in two weeks or so. The doc thinks it's a tendon between my bicep and some muscle behind my shoulder that's causing the pain. The tendon comes in through the ball and socket joint that is my shoulder and is either inflamed or torn he thinks. I get the MRI results on Tuesday so I guess I'll see what the deal is then. For now, let's just say I'm lovin' Ibuprofen.

Eli Gautreaux
02-05-2010, 09:34 PM
Sorry to hear about your shoulder Peter, swimming is for fish :D

Ray, THANK YOU for putting an S-guard on this one! That's just what it needed, can't wait to see it complete. I'm trying to tell myself I'm a maker not a collector, but you are making that pretty difficult :D

Raymond Richard
02-05-2010, 10:46 PM
Sorry to hear about your shoulder Peter, swimming is for fish :D

Ray, THANK YOU for putting an S-guard on this one! That's just what it needed, can't wait to see it complete. I'm trying to tell myself I'm a maker not a collector, but you are making that pretty difficult :D

Eli, Your a swimmer, a collector, and a knife maker besides being a preacher. You've got what it takes! As for Peter I was always told swimming is good for your body. That its good for your joints. I was thinking about getting into an aqua program for seniors but I've just changed my mind.

I got all the fittings rough ground and was ready to do the bends for the S guard and couldn't find my 4" C clamp so I decided to try the S guard free hand and shortly discovered there's a reason I use the clamp. I looked everywhere that it could possible be hiding and figured I would be taking a trip to Harbor Freight in the morning to buy a couple more clamps. Just as I was about to go out the shop door and head for the house I spotted it but I had changed gears and will do it tomorrow. The knife really has been going well plus I was really into it today. It felt pretty good.

Peter Killgore
02-06-2010, 12:25 AM
Ray, swimming itself is good for your joints since there is no sudden impact involved like with running, it's only a steady resistance plus your in water which alleviates a lot of the stress you feel out of the water. What's probably not as good for the joints is all the dry land workouts we do. Medicine ball throws, crossovers and supermans are probably not as good for the joints. Of course I could be totally wrong in thinking it's related to workouts. The doc actually said it's probably not from workouts since they haven't been getting harder lately. If it was the beginning of the season and I was just thrown into it, then it might be the cause but this far into the season it's very unlikely. Don't let this stop you doing an aqua program. Who knows, maybe I'll do it with you to strengthen my shoulder.

Eli, at school they call me walking fish! Now I just have to grow gills and fins. Get rid of this crazy shoulder thing and replace it with a pectoral fin. Hopefully I'll still be able to swim districts. The doc said if the tendon isn't torn, I can just tank up on Ibuprofen and swim it. Although he did say no fly until the results of the MRI and fly is my best stroke. :(

John M Cohea
02-06-2010, 05:49 AM
Another beauty taking shape Ray! Can't wait to see it finished!

Chuck Brooks
02-06-2010, 06:35 AM
Ray
It's looking good, keep em coming, just got to get a bigger box---you know, the box you're shipping to Tucson.
Chuck

Raymond Richard
02-06-2010, 10:19 AM
Ray, swimming itself is good for your joints since there is no sudden impact involved like with running, it's only a steady resistance plus your in water which alleviates a lot of the stress you feel out of the water. What's probably not as good for the joints is all the dry land workouts we do. Medicine ball throws, crossovers and supermans are probably not as good for the joints. Of course I could be totally wrong in thinking it's related to workouts. The doc actually said it's probably not from workouts since they haven't been getting harder lately. If it was the beginning of the season and I was just thrown into it, then it might be the cause but this far into the season it's very unlikely. Don't let this stop you doing an aqua program. Who knows, maybe I'll do it with you to strengthen my shoulder.

Eli, at school they call me walking fish! Now I just have to grow gills and fins. Get rid of this crazy shoulder thing and replace it with a pectoral fin. Hopefully I'll still be able to swim districts. The doc said if the tendon isn't torn, I can just tank up on Ibuprofen and swim it. Although he did say no fly until the results of the MRI and fly is my best stroke. :(

Peter, Its not so much the swimming I'm afraid of its those old woman just won't leave me alone. :D Do you have a pool at Corbet or do you use the Mt Hood Pool? Is swimming something you train for all during the school year? Hope you heal up soon! I'm expecting you to get 10 Golds at the 2012 Summer Games......

Now to remember where the heck I saw that C clamp. :bud:

Chuck, I'll have a jar at Tai's for tips. It will be passed around several times...... :D I've been trying to figure if my tongs will make it as carry on. Pretty sure I'll have to cut about an inch off of one pair of tongs to fit into a Priority Box when it comes time to mail.

mofretwell
02-06-2010, 11:18 AM
I really like how this bowie is taking shape. Ivory, an S-guard, and a stunning blade. I think this is the makings of a real show stopper! Can't wait to see what you do for a sheath.

Raymond Richard
02-06-2010, 01:12 PM
I really like how this bowie is taking shape. Ivory, an S-guard, and a stunning blade. I think this is the makings of a real show stopper! Can't wait to see what you do for a sheath.

Marvin, Pretty sure the sheath you'll be seeing at Tai's will be one of my state of the art cardboard cereal box sheaths. :D Normally I don't start sheaths till about 2 weeks before the Oregon Show. Who knows maybe I'll get in sheath mode before then.

Here's a couple more snapshots. This is the way I've done S guards since I started making them. Basically the block of steel is acting as a die. I am going to get me some day glow paint and use it on the C clamp. I had two C clamps but one got totally wrecked in the fire. This one survived but its a bear to spot when its in a pile. Now its time to start getting things finished.

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_2081.JPG

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_2083.JPG

LR Adkins
02-06-2010, 01:19 PM
Ray, that is an awesome knife I like everything about it. Great work.

Larry

Raymond Richard
02-06-2010, 01:32 PM
Ray, that is an awesome knife I like everything about it. Great work.

Larry

Larry, Its going to change a great deal now that the parts are finally made. I think it looks a little chunky right now but I had to do that because of the handle material. I didn't want to go any thinner with the ivory than what it is now. It will look much fitter when its all done.

I like you quote about old age. :D I'm finding it quite an adventure except everything is going in reverse or just doesn't work, period. I'm starting to believe "You got to be tough to be old". I do find myself slowing down but I enjoy knifemaking as much now as I ever have. I just hope I have a few more years to do all my ideas before I forget what they are.......

Peter Killgore
02-06-2010, 03:23 PM
Lookin' good! Hopefully we'll see (at least) one more trophy on your shelf after the Oregon show. That's in April right?

Eli Gautreaux
02-06-2010, 03:55 PM
Nice Ray!!! I've been waiting to check this thread all day, glad you got some more done. I'm anxiously waiting for the final pics.

Peter, you look like a butterfly-er, stocky and strong. Careful of that ibuprofen, later in life you'll regret pushing it too far, as I am now well aware, lol.

Raymond Richard
02-06-2010, 06:10 PM
Getting closer to done. Next thing to do will be going over all the fittings with the rotary tool and then etching. I got the ivory sanded down and buffed. Now I need to resand it again and catch the scratches I missed. Pretty pooped out so not sure if I will make it out to the shop tonight.

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_2085.JPG

Eli Gautreaux
02-06-2010, 06:57 PM
YES!!! It's coming along spectacularly.

Peter Killgore
02-06-2010, 08:54 PM
I like it, I love it, I want some more of it! :D

Raymond Richard
02-07-2010, 12:35 AM
I had a little surge of energy about 10pm so I decided to put it to use. I did the final shaping and texturing on the fittings. If the Super Bowl isn't very super I may just get this thing close to finished. I still want to do a final rub on the blade, etch the fitting, and sand the handle one more time.

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_2089.JPG

Eli Gautreaux
02-07-2010, 03:35 PM
Oh man, that one is right down my alley Ray!

It's quite similar to your award winning u-kids bowie, if I remember it correctly?

It's gorgeous!

Peter Killgore
02-07-2010, 04:47 PM
Ray, what is it you are using to get the bend in the S-guard in that photo?
Once I'm finished with the little knife I'm working on right now, I want to do another big 'un and I've thought about trying an S-guard.

I sure like this knife! It's for sure one of my favorites. I still can't get over how nice that hamon is.

Raymond Richard
02-07-2010, 05:38 PM
Ray, what is it you are using to get the bend in the S-guard in that photo?
Once I'm finished with the little knife I'm working on right now, I want to do another big 'un and I've thought about trying an S-guard.

I sure like this knife! It's for sure one of my favorites. I still can't get over how nice that hamon is.

Peter, What I'm using is just a block of steel that's about 1" thick with a radius ground on the corner. What your seeing on that side of steel has nothing to do with how it works.

That saw steel that I've been using for the last couple knives really produces a nice hamon. The drag saw blade will give a nice hamon also.

Raymond Richard
02-08-2010, 12:13 AM
I ended up watching all the Super Bowl and did get some time in the shop afterwards. I still want to mess around with the blade a little more tomorrow. Here's a picture of my last two knives. Blade style is pretty much the same except the bowie blade being more full figured.

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_2092.JPG

Stuart Willis
02-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Now that is a purty knife.

Chuck Brooks
02-09-2010, 05:42 AM
Ray, I am looking forward to seeing these up close and personal.
Stuart, I'll try and get a lot of pictures to share with you.
Chuck

Raymond Richard
02-09-2010, 11:10 AM
Chuck

Chuck, Here's some fairly decent pictures but not as good as I'd like but I'll settle with these for now. Maybe you can do a better with your camera down in sunny Tucson. Funny how I can pick up a super hamon when I'm taking progress pictures using the shop light but when I go to my state of the art photo set up I capture everything but the hamon. I need to stick with capturing moles out in the field. :D I'd probably make more money to......

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_2095.JPG

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_2096.JPG

Raymond Richard
02-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Here's somemore pictures.

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_2099.JPG

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_2100.JPG

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_2101.JPG

Stuart Willis
02-09-2010, 07:51 PM
Chuck

Thanks Chuck, I really wish I could be there. Can't wait to see the pics.

ddavelarsen
02-10-2010, 03:06 AM
Well... You sure know how to build a knife there young feller! :)

Eli Gautreaux
02-10-2010, 07:49 AM
Ray, this one is outstanding, even among your already amazing work.

Raymond Richard
02-10-2010, 10:08 AM
Well... You sure know how to build a knife there young feller! :)

Dave, I love being called "young fellow"!

Eli, This is a nice one! It will have a special place in my collection.....

Thoughts of cleaning off my leather working table keep entering my mind. Its that or working on the cow fence today. I think I may put on the cowboy hat and work on that first. Thoughts of leather work usually stimulate other interest. :bud:

Lorien
02-10-2010, 06:31 PM
so whaddaya think Ray? You goin upscale from now on? Ivory and other exotic teeth?
Rumors have it you're gonna start building high end leather sheaths with inlays and stuff! Is it true?
:p

Raymond Richard
02-10-2010, 07:15 PM
so whaddaya think Ray? You goin upscale from now on? Ivory and other exotic teeth?
Rumors have it you're gonna start building high end leather sheaths with inlays and stuff! Is it true?
:p

Lorien, I've been planing on doing some pure gold blades to go with the ivory. :D You got me totally figured out.

I got hit with the big lazies today. I got half my leather working table cleared off and by the time I got that done my hands were so cold I headed for the house. I'm in bad need of some motivation. Yesterday it was so nice and sunny I spent a few hours working on the cow fence and I planed to pick up where I left off however the sunshine was replaced with the cold liquid and 40 degree temps. Don't expect no fancy sheaths from me.

Brian Thie
02-11-2010, 11:00 AM
The character of the blade steel complements the fittings and vise versa -- very pleasing to the eye.

Brian

Raymond Richard
02-11-2010, 11:53 AM
The character of the blade steel complements the fittings and vise versa -- very pleasing to the eye.

Brian

Brian, I appreciate your comment! That's my intent when I make a knife. I'm trying to make everything balance not just physically but with the eye also. I try not to make one component draw attention to it self. I want the knife to be seen first.

Chuck Brooks
02-13-2010, 10:43 AM
Ray,
Have you done anything on the sheaths for these yet? The hamon, the hand rub, the sheaths, a lot of information to put in the tip jar, cause I'm sure we will be looking for as many tips as we can get. See ya in a couple weeks.
Chuck

Raymond Richard
02-13-2010, 11:43 AM
Ray,
Have you done anything on the sheaths for these yet? The hamon, the hand rub, the sheaths, a lot of information to put in the tip jar, cause I'm sure we will be looking for as many tips as we can get. See ya in a couple weeks.
Chuck

Chuck, As soon as I stop wasting time on the computer I'll be working on the sheaths. The tip jar will just receive folding money. :D Looking forward to meeting you!

Chuck Brooks
02-14-2010, 09:14 AM
Ray
Actually we met several years ago at a OKCA, you were doing a demo making a hawk head from a jack hammer bit. I think that was 03 or 04, I brought you some lengths of wrought iron from some wagon wheels. Speaking of which, do you need any wrought iron I have some extra I can put in my check in bag. I'll have to do something outlandish so you don't forget me again. Maybe it's the age thing has something to do with it, naw you ain't aged enough for that. You take care, let me know if you need some iron.
Chuck

Raymond Richard
02-14-2010, 10:00 AM
Ray
Actually we met several years ago at a OKCA, you were doing a demo making a hawk head from a jack hammer bit. I think that was 03 or 04, I brought you some lengths of wrought iron from some wagon wheels. Speaking of which, do you need any wrought iron I have some extra I can put in my check in bag. I'll have to do something outlandish so you don't forget me again. Maybe it's the age thing has something to do with it, naw you ain't aged enough for that. You take care, let me know if you need some iron.
Chuck

Chuck, I do remember the wrought iron but I thought it had come from a fellow from Idaho or Montana. If I were home I'd say yes but the airline I'm flying with is charging the max for checked bags that's why I'll be mailing a package to Tai's not to mention I'll be changing flights also. I only remember receiving wagon wheel one time at that show and its been my favorite. Both saw steel knives have a piece from that wheel. Lets talk about that wheel in Tucson. I wouldn't mind having somemore of it. Thanks for asking!

Chuck Brooks
02-14-2010, 11:23 AM
Ray, I was living in Grangeville, Idaho at the time. The ole memory is just as sharp as it has to be. I moved back to NC 2 1/2 years ago, kids and grandkids. The heat and humidity are causing me to reconsider that move. Hey we'll talk in Tucson, see ya.

Raymond Richard
02-14-2010, 11:45 AM
Ray, I was living in Grangeville, Idaho at the time. The ole memory is just as sharp as it has to be. I moved back to NC 2 1/2 years ago, kids and grandkids. The heat and humidity are causing me to reconsider that move. Hey we'll talk in Tucson, see ya.

Guess I'm not losing my mind after all. I'll probably recognize you when I see you at Tai's. So far the mind seems to be working except when I chose for it not to. One of the few new oldman tricks I have learned. :D

The guard on the fighter and the spacer on the bowie were made from the wagon wheel you had given me.

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_2092.JPG