PDA

View Full Version : 1080+

Raymond Richard
01-09-2010, 04:08 PM
While I was at Blade West this past year I got a few supplies. I bought a few bars of 1080+ and just got around to trying it. I did the heat treat that they recommended and it did work out fine but I was hoping for a super duper hamon. Next time I use this steel I will do a few thermal cycles and see if that makes any difference. I took one of the bars and cut it into 3rds and then forged the blades. I still need to do a little tune on the knife but its pretty close to being done. Its got a 3 7/8" blade and is 7 3/4" overall. Can't remember if the stag is deer or elk. Pretty sure the fittings are iron and not wrought.

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_1982.JPG

Denny Eller
01-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Mr. Richard, you've done it again. Fine looking blades.

Peter Killgore
01-09-2010, 04:52 PM
That stag did turn out nice! Hope your shop is warmer today than it was yesterday.

Raymond Richard
01-09-2010, 05:00 PM
That stag did turn out nice! Hope your shop is warmer today than it was yesterday.

Peter, I'm sure its hovering right around 40 degrees. I did drop one of the fittings from this knife in my grinding bucket. Normally I'll waist 15 minutes trying to find it with a magnet and a string tied to it but I went in bare handed today. While my hand was in the icy cold bucket I got the bolt that fell from my grinder so I killed two birds with one stone.

Eli Gautreaux
01-09-2010, 08:24 PM
Very nice ray, as always.

I'm glad you made it back out of that bucket with your fingers still attached. If I remember it correctly, it looked like a monster might be living in there :D

Raymond Richard
01-09-2010, 09:12 PM
Very nice ray, as always.

I'm glad you made it back out of that bucket with your fingers still attached. If I remember it correctly, it looked like a monster might be living in there :D

Eli, I moved that bucket outside. I kept hearing funny noises coming out of it. The water bucket that had most my hammers turned into a big ice cube. I had to use my 8 pound sledge as an ice breaker to free them up.

ddavelarsen
01-10-2010, 06:16 AM
Ray that's looking great! I really like that sturdy beauty. Like all your knives, looking at it I just want to pick it up!

We're not going to have any free water around here for a few months yet. It never did get up to 9 degrees yesterday like I thought it would.

Probably putting that bucket in the sun was not a good idea; it might just hatch now and then what're you going to do? Well, you do have some pretty large blades hanging around. You up for dragon slaying?

Raymond Richard
01-13-2010, 12:36 PM
I got around to finishing this latest knife. Still need to put an edge on it.

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_1994.JPG

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_1995.JPG

Dana Hackney
01-13-2010, 02:17 PM
Hi Ray,

I got some of Chuck's 1080+ a while back, as Steve Kelly said he loves this stuff.
I've gotten one knife forged but have yet to heat treat it. I wonder if the added
vanadium (+) inhibits getting a dramatic hamon?

BTW: I love that little knife. Like Dave Larsen said, it just begs to be handled :).

Thanks!
Dana

Eli Gautreaux
01-13-2010, 02:36 PM
Good one Ray. It reminds me a little of Gary's knife, like the would make a great fighter/hunter set :)

Raymond Richard
01-13-2010, 03:40 PM
Hi Ray,

I got some of Chuck's 1080+ a while back, as Steve Kelly said he loves this stuff.
I've gotten one knife forged but have yet to heat treat it. I wonder if the added
vanadium (+) inhibits getting a dramatic hamon?

BTW: I love that little knife. Like Dave Larsen said, it just begs to be handled :).

Thanks!
Dana

Dana, Its my understanding that the vanadium should add to the hamon. There just isn't that much it in this steel. There is a hamon there but its not real bold. Did you find it stiff when you forged yours? I thought it was stiffer than other steels I have forged.

Eli, I think its a little small for a fighter. I'd like one with a longer blade so I wouldn't have to get to close. :D

mofretwell
01-13-2010, 11:25 PM
I love this knife Ray. The debarked handle is really sweet. The finish looks like you can see down into it. And the blade and guard are really nice too. This one is gonna make some customer really happy.

ddavelarsen
01-14-2010, 03:39 AM
Man Ray, you've done it again haven't you? That just blows me away. 2thumbs

Dana Hackney
01-14-2010, 10:16 AM
Hi Ray,

I was thinking that O-1 is tough to get a good hamon on and was attributing it to the presence of vanadium but, maybe, it's the O-1's chrome content.

I did find it a little harder to move....sort of like O-1. That's my take anyhow.

Dana

Raymond Richard
01-15-2010, 03:55 AM
Hi Ray,

I was thinking that O-1 is tough to get a good hamon on and was attributing it to the presence of vanadium but, maybe, it's the O-1's chrome content.

I did find it a little harder to move....sort of like O-1. That's my take anyhow.

Dana

O-1 is just to deep hardening to get a hamon. I haven't worked with it for years. I never could understand why they call it a beginner steel. I've got a couple more piece of the 1080+ and I don't think I will bother getting anymore simply because I have so much other steel on hand. I'll tweak the heat treat the next time I try it and see if it will produce a bolder hamon.

Peter Killgore
01-15-2010, 02:08 PM
I worked with O-1 on two knives. I now want to avoid it if at all possible. I am a little tempted however to do one more stock removal knife from it 'cause I still have a piece big enough to get something with about a 5 inch blade. I don't know why it would be called a beginner steel. This beginner didn't like it at all when it came to heat treating.

Raymond Richard
01-15-2010, 03:04 PM
I worked with O-1 on two knives. I now want to avoid it if at all possible. I am a little tempted however to do one more stock removal knife from it 'cause I still have a piece big enough to get something with about a 5 inch blade. I don't know why it would be called a beginner steel. This beginner didn't like it at all when it came to heat treating.

Peter, The worst problem I had with the O-1 was it warped just about everytime I used it. I probably forged the blades to thin but they were the same thickness as other steels that I had almost no problems with as far as warping went.

Peter Killgore
01-15-2010, 05:03 PM
I had the same problem. One of the knives I did came out looking a banana. And I don't mean just the edge, I mean the whole thing had a curve to it, similar to a boomerang.