PDA

View Full Version : Got my 9" disc!

John Barker
12-22-2009, 06:52 PM
Rob,
I got my 9" disc yesterday! Boy, that was very fast! Thanks!
-John

Les George
12-22-2009, 06:56 PM
pics or it didnt happen! :)

Bill Coye
12-22-2009, 07:11 PM
pics or it didnt happen! :)

Yeah. What he said!

stabber
12-22-2009, 07:17 PM
Nice score John. you got more tools then Tim The Tool Man Taylor:D

John Barker
12-22-2009, 09:05 PM
Let me get it mounted and I'll post pics.
-John

Diamond G Knives
12-22-2009, 11:52 PM
John,
Your gonna LOVE it!!!

Couple of tips, face the wheel with cork gasket material, give a MUCH smoother finish, use he CHEAP spray adhesive from Walmart to glue your sand paper on (makes life a lot easier) I used the heavy duty 3M stuff and it dont want to let go! Using a heat gun to loosen your paper works very well.

I was concerned how long the cork would last, Ive got 21 blades (12 of them large chefs) and have no noticeable issues yet. I do clean the disc about every 10 sheets with 3m adhesive remover. this keeps the glue build up down and the little bumps out. I haven't used the machine at above 30% power yet simply because I get such great control at the lower speeds.

This is a Cadillac of a machine you'll LOVE it! (if you cant tell I REALLY like mine!)

God Bless
Mike

rfrink
12-23-2009, 07:57 AM
John,

Couple of tips, face the wheel with cork gasket material, give a MUCH smoother finish, use he CHEAP spray adhesive from Walmart to glue your sand paper on (makes life a lot easier) I used the heavy duty 3M stuff and it dont want to let go! Using a heat gun to loosen your paper works very well.

I was concerned how long the cork would last, Ive got 21 blades (12 of them large chefs) and have no noticeable issues yet. I do clean the disc about every 10 sheets with 3m adhesive remover. this keeps the glue build up down and the little bumps out. I haven't used the machine at above 30% power yet simply because I get such great control at the lower speeds.

This is a Cadillac of a machine you'll LOVE it! (if you cant tell I REALLY like mine!)

God Bless
Mike

As stated so elequently above by Les "pics or it didn't happen"

Cork gasket material? from NAPA, pep boys, Autozone?

Use the same spray adhesive to glue the cork to the disk..then glue abrasive to the cork? Do you re-glue the cork when you replace the abrasive..?

Hmmm...I'm so intrigued with this very simple idea. Yikes....I've got to get out of the shop every now and then.:D

-Rob

Diamond G Knives
12-23-2009, 10:07 AM
OK, Ill post pics after Christmas, still working on orders from 2006!

On the cork, I got it at Pepboys, but it says NAPA on the gasket. Its between 1/16 and an 1/8 thick, enough on the roll to face the platen twice I used the 3M 77 spray adhesive to mount the cork. Then the "general purpose" spray to attach the paper (do not use the 3m 77 spray to apply the paper! This glue works way to well!). The paper will peel right off with a heat gun. I know this sounds complicated, but its surprisingly fast. Spray the new sheet with adhesive then remove the old one, stick on the new sheet, and trim. I can do this in about 2 min.

These were tips I got from Ed Caffrey. Maybe he will chime in and add his thoughts.

One thing I noticed was at 400 grit and higher was the quality of the finish using the cork. Just softens things up "just enough" without effecting grind lines. Grind lines are sharp and crisp, but with the quality of a hand finish (except they are in a circular pattern.

As I said above, I go to a 800 or 1000 grit finish and then hand sand at 400 thru 600. Its a SNAP!

Thanks again Rob, this is a great product and works like a charm!

God Bless
Mike

Diamond G Knives
05-18-2010, 11:19 PM
OK, its a little past Christmas but here are the pics I promised!

They are of the platen face with cork, then same from side view, type of glue used to put on paper, not cork, thats the 3M "77", paper on corked face.

It really helps in the higher finishes. Like I said its almost like finish sanding on a machine!

Diamond G Knives
05-18-2010, 11:28 PM
New Note:

Ive been using the Walmaert brand spray adheasive. It dors not set very quick but holds the paper fine. It just needs a bit longer to "get tacky" and it's $ 2.89 here. This glue does not require a heat gun to remove unless its left on over night.

Somthing else Ive noticed, is from 400 grit up if you dip the blade constantly to keep the face of the paper wet you get a much finer finish! (may be old news but its new to me! :p )

I will say this without reservation. This one machine has been the best investment in my shop bar none! Just slightly beating out my KMG only because I do a lot of smaller 4" and under blades. I just did a batch of 25 skeleton handle neck knives ALL on the 9" disc start to finish!

Again Rob, Thanks for such great machines!!!!

God Bless
Mike

Silverback
05-25-2010, 11:14 PM
Is there a grit that lives on it most of the time, are you swapping paper on the disk all the time, or do you have multiple setups?

Diamond G Knives
05-25-2010, 11:36 PM
I swap grits. I usually do knives in batches of 4 or 5. This really helps on the production vs time spent end of things. But changing grit is only a matter of tearing one off and putting on another one. When its time to change, I lay down a sheet of paper, spray it with glue, peel off the old stick on in the new, then trim. Usually less than a 2 min drill.

I am now using the "Duro" brand spray adheasive from walmart. It is not nearly as good as the 3M General Purpose spray. BUT it does not require me to use a heat gun to remove, and is plenty tacky to hold the paper in place.

Now when Im ready to use the disc grinder, I remove the old paper. Spray the cork face with 3M Adhesive Remover turn the machine on and wipe the residue off. Ill let the machine run a moment or two to let and adhesive remover evaporate off then spray the cork face with the Duro brand adhesive. This kind of creates a contact cement type of arraingment. The glue does not "set" before I need new paper so I can just peel it off and apply new paper. Working this way I have changed out paper 14 times and it still worked great. BTW Im thru my 2nd 150 ct box of 220 grit paper and the cork is still in fine shape.

When grinding, Ill profile and start my grind on the 2x72 with 60 grit belts. Once the bevels are rough cut, I go to the disc with 100 grit, then 180, then 220, 400, 600 and then 800. Go to HT then start with 220 wetting the blade often this will make your paper wet which is fine ( I use "Black Ice" or Klingspore wich are waterproof) then back thru the grits to 800. I then start hand finishing with 400, 600 and if a really nice finish is wanted go to 800.

I know this sounds like a LOT of work, but with the machine, it took me less than 2 hours to take 5 small drop point hunters from Post HT to 600 grit hand finish! Usually just a few moments on each grit is all thats needed.

In my shop, this machine has the #1 slot for being a time saver!!!

God Bless
Mike

John T Wylie Jr.
05-26-2010, 06:51 PM
Mike , why take them to 800 grit before HT , only to go back to 220 afterwards ? Would you care to explain why ?

Diamond G Knives
05-26-2010, 09:51 PM
Because with the KMG Disc its so darn easy! :D

No really I will go to this level to just satisfy myself that all is well with my grind lines. It may be silly, but IMO I can see flaws in my grinding to a greater degree if the finish is higher. Does this make any sense?

Thanks and God Bless
Mike

Silverback
06-01-2010, 10:29 PM
I'll have to try your combination of adhesives... It seems like if I use peal and stick disks I have them flying across the shop in a few minutes and if I use plain backed paper and adhesive designed for mounting sand paper it becomes an hour long project to get the stuff cleaned up...

What brand paper do you use? I seem to loose grit off of most papers very quickly.

Stew
06-02-2010, 01:25 AM
Are you guys using the flat disc or the bevelled disc?

Les George
06-02-2010, 07:11 AM
Mine is flat