PDA

View Full Version : Documentation Question

tonyccw
12-13-2009, 11:08 PM
Hi: I was wondering if there are any plans to upload documentation for the KMG-1 grinder? I picked up a used one from a friend, but it didn't come with instructions. I can figure out how to put it together, but I was wondering more about tutorials on how each of the optional wheels and attachment would be used. Thanks.

rfrink
12-14-2009, 09:20 AM
Hi Tony, Congrats on your new machine. I'd love to know more about it..specifically, how old it might be...and what vintage. It's nice to follow them.

No, we don't have specific instructions or guidelines. The KMG was designed for unlimited versitilty for the do-it-yourself shop guy to set up and run.

With that in mind, you really have unlimited choices as to how to set it up...what kind of motor, where to mount the motor...and so on.

And you have even more choices on how to use the machine. The only limit is your own imagination. I guess it's sort of like a paint brush to an artist...how it is used and what is produced with it is really up to you.

If you have any questions, feel free to drop us a line. We'll be glad to share our thoughts.

Do you have any pics or history on this machine?

-Rob

tonyccw
12-15-2009, 02:59 AM
Thanks. I'll need to do some serious de-rusting before I take some pics. It's at least 5 years old. The motor and controller are giving me some issues, like it doesn't want to start, so that's a project all to itself.

rfrink
12-15-2009, 07:24 AM
Tony, My favorite way to de-rust an old piece of machinery is with a heavy "cup brush" mounted on an angle grinder.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/ProductImages/0035867-11.jpg

Wet the surface with a some light oil thinned with solvent and go to town onit with these aggressive brushes. It only take a few minutes and the surface comes out with a beautiful burnished finish.

-Rob

Johnny Roberts
12-16-2009, 03:21 PM
Congrats, Tony. I love mine.

As far what attachment and wheel to use and their capabilites, I believe you are at the right place. I am still tinkering with my rotary platen and getting a feel for where I can use it best.

With wheels and flat platens, that will come with watching tutorials and seeing how some of the other guys practice their technique. See if you can find a Hammer In near you. I have watched Johnny Stout hollow grind and seen Harvey Dean flat grind in person and learned more in one day than a month of experimenting in my shop.

In my opinion, you have the best grinder available. Get some steel and make some dust!

Let me know if there is any way I can help.

Johnny