PDA

View Full Version : Rawhide pants for a spearhead

John M Cohea
11-26-2009, 08:02 AM
Hi everyone. A few weeks ago I contacted Ray about maybe testing the waters and pairing up some of his fantastic forged knives with my rawhide sheathwork. Ray suggested a spearhead and I said I'd give it a shot.
Heres the result. The sheath is typical of what I do, rawhide over veg-tan, deerskin fringe, antique glass trade beads, brass tacks,aged tin cones, horsehair,and to top it of a concho made from wagon wheel wrought, which is right at home on a sheath for a Ray Richard piece I think!
We hope you like it and I hope this will be the first of more to come!

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff240/johnmcohea/DSC03206.jpg
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff240/johnmcohea/DSC03209.jpg

Burton
11-26-2009, 08:03 AM
Very cool!

stabber
11-26-2009, 08:15 AM
Your sheath work is incredible!! Awesome spearhead 2thumbs

Denny Eller
11-26-2009, 08:28 AM
A match made in heaven! Great work gentlemen, you both have super powers.

Raymond Richard
11-26-2009, 11:39 AM
John, You make a fine sheath! Nice looking spearhead to.........

Stuart Willis
11-26-2009, 07:50 PM
Very nice on both parts.

Peter Killgore
11-26-2009, 08:32 PM
Nice lookin' sheath there. You know Ray, you might do well to get a pair of rawhide pants to so's you don't catch your leg on fire again:D

Lorien
11-26-2009, 09:20 PM
as always, John, it all looks just a it should:)

Jake Mello
11-27-2009, 07:02 AM
That came out great!!! Very nice work.

Josh Dabney
11-27-2009, 08:09 AM
Beatiful work fellas !

Ray, Your work is of a style your own and speaks for itself. Just cool stuff. Your grandchild will LOVE spendin time with Grampa Ray playing with fire and hammers !

John, Another sheath of your usual high standards of style and function ! I've got a newfound respect for the amount of effort you put into work !

UNIQUE- not many can honestly make that claim these days ! Kudos to you both

-Josh

Eli Gautreaux
11-27-2009, 08:24 AM
That sheath is gorgeous!

John, are you going to put a shaft on that spear???

John M Cohea
11-27-2009, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone. I really enjoyed doing this sheath for several reasons.
I have long admired Ray's work, in fact Ray's work, along with Daniel Winkler's, is what inspired me to take the direction I have taken in knife and sheathmaking, so to do a sheath for Ray is sorta like an honor for me2thumbs.
I onlly wish I was even half as good as Ray at forging. To look at this spear it looks fairly simple, until you stop and think about the skill it takes to make it all with a hammer, fire, and anvil. with no stock removal except the very edge.
Eli, I'm not sure what Ray's plans are as far as a shaft , but if anyone is interested in this package, contact Ray directly.

ddavelarsen
11-28-2009, 06:40 AM
John, go to town! Dang, that is utterly fantastic; beautiful and full of life and history. You guys are a match made in heaven, and I'm not saying that with tongue in cheek; I mean it. I hope this partnership takes off.

Ray, as much as you drag those big feet about sheathwork, you better cultivate this relationship with everything you have man. Do not let John get away!

Wonderful. I'm sure glad I stopped by here this morning! 2thumbs

Raymond Richard
11-28-2009, 11:26 AM
For those who want to know this will not be the last time you see John and my work together. I've got another one of my epic knives I hope to finish today. :D I'll be sending 3 knives off to John before I leave for Tokyo.

Now on the lighter side this spearhead and sheath are for sale for $375.00. Remember I don't have paypal but I will take a check or money order.

I still do not accept "IOU's"...........

Raymond Richard
11-28-2009, 05:11 PM
These 3 knives will be heading to John so he can do his magic.

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_1812.JPG

Allen Newberry
11-28-2009, 05:46 PM
Good to hear that there will be more more of your work paired with John's.

Peter Killgore
11-28-2009, 07:32 PM
I still do not accept "IOU's"...........[/QUOTE]

Well then how is Ray's Rent-A-Knife coming along?:D

I'm looking forward to seeing what the sheaths for these guys turn out like.

ddavelarsen
11-29-2009, 05:17 AM
These 3 knives will be heading to John so he can do his magic.

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_1812.JPG

YeeHA! Now that's what I'm talkin about Ray!