PDA

View Full Version : New steel about to be tested

Raymond Richard
11-16-2009, 03:42 PM
Actually the steel itself isn't new. Its really quite old. Wayne Goddard gave me a few piece of square rebar so that in itself tells you its quite old. All the years I worked construction all I saw was round rebar. Wayne tells me this rebar came from an old bridge that came down during the 1994 earthquake down in the LA area. I can tell its pretty low on carbon content but I still think it will harden up. I just straightened up a piece of it and once it cools off I'll cut down the middle and forge a blade out of it. Probably something I shouldn't waist any time on but I can't help myself.

Robert Mayo
11-16-2009, 04:26 PM
Ray i'm sure you will be able to make a knife out of if nothing else it will be a great memory from something a friend gave you and another learning experience. Let us know how it works out.

Bob

stabber
11-16-2009, 04:41 PM
give it a half ass HT and see how it is?

Raymond Richard
11-16-2009, 07:11 PM
I cut about 3" off the square rebar and then I cut it in half. Forged a tang on one end and then forged the remained to 4" X 1" X 1/4". Then I heated it up and quenched in oil. I checked it with a file and it did feel like it hardened some. I went back in the forge with the steel and forged it into a preform. Brought it up to heat and quenched in water. The I preformed the universal 3rd world test for hardness and broke off the tip. It did get hard so I went ahead and forged it into a blade. For years now I've wanted to take a picture of the steel sparking so I did that. I knew there would be difference between unhardened and hardened steel but the difference blew me away.

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_1761.JPG

If you look at the end of the square rebar there's a maker's mark. Its either an N or a Z.
http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_1762.JPG

Sparks from the unhardened steel
http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_1763.JPG

Sparks from the piece of hardened steel that I broke off.
http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_1766.JPG

Jeff Pearce
11-16-2009, 07:17 PM
Great spark test thank's for the pictures. please post some more.

Peter Killgore
11-16-2009, 11:05 PM
There's definitely a difference with the spark test depending on how hard the steel is. I have a piece of annealed O1 and it throws almost no spark at all. Once it's hardened it's like a fireworks display. At first I wondered if they sent me the right steel just because there was so little spark from it.

Raymond Richard
11-16-2009, 11:15 PM
There's definitely a difference with the spark test depending on how hard the steel is. I have a piece of annealed O1 and it throws almost no spark at all. Once it's hardened it's like a fireworks display. At first I wondered if they sent me the right steel just because there was so little spark from it.

Peter, O-1 has very little spark before it is hardened. Its been several years since I have worked with it. I never cared much for it. Seems like it warped a lot when I used it. I can't remember what the spark looked like after it was hardened.

Chuck Cook
11-16-2009, 11:20 PM
I learn somthing new everyday. I didn't know there would be a difference in how many sparks based on if the steel was hardend or not. goodjob1

That's why I keep coming back to this forum.Short Bus

Raymond Richard
11-17-2009, 12:59 AM
I learn somthing new everyday. I didn't know there would be a difference in how many sparks based on if the steel was hardend or not. goodjob1

That's why I keep coming back to this forum.Short Bus

Chuck, I've been doing this for 15 years now. I knew there would be a difference but I sure didn't think it would be this much. I leaned something today also.

One
11-17-2009, 10:07 AM
Don't quote me on this,... but I sort of remember reading somewhere that it has something to do with a high silica content.

senang
11-17-2009, 12:33 PM
Ray, I think Wayne gave a piece of the same stuff. I have some of the same bar in my metal pile that looks like your bar in the pic. Wayne got rid of about a truckload and a half of steel and I got some of the goods. I will have to test it and see if it is hardenable as well. Good to be on the site and pleasure talking with you earlier today....SENANG

Raymond Richard
11-17-2009, 12:37 PM
Don't quote me on this,... but I sort of remember reading somewhere that it has something to do with a high silica content.

Tai, Maybe that's it. Those 1959 Nash/Metro leaf springs I have used over the years have about 2% silica in them. I had them tested several years ago so I know that for a fact. I'll take a better look at them and see if the samething happens.

Raymond Richard
11-18-2009, 12:07 PM
Ray, I think Wayne gave a piece of the same stuff. I have some of the same bar in my metal pile that looks like your bar in the pic. Wayne got rid of about a truckload and a half of steel and I got some of the goods. I will have to test it and see if it is hardenable as well. Good to be on the site and pleasure talking with you earlier today....SENANG

Hey Senang, I'm sorry I didn't notice your post yesterday. Your the the other fellow that's been getting my junk steel. Here's the finished blade from the square rebar. I did a clay back and quenched in room temp water so I'm guessing the water was around 40 degrees. Tempered twice for an hour each time at 350. Did two hand rubs on it, 220 and 320 and then etched. Tried cutting some rope with it and surprisingly it held an edge quite well.

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_1774.JPG

One
11-19-2009, 07:44 AM
Nice blade!

Raymond Richard
11-19-2009, 10:10 AM
Tai, My son's wife's brother works for a re enforcing steel contractor. I talked with him Saturday night about getting me some 1" rebar. He called yesterday saying he had some 7/8" and some 1 1/8" rebar he would be bringing over after work today. I forgot to ask him where it was made since I think its all made overseas now. I hope its as good as the bar I gathered in the 90's. If it is I'll bring some with me in February. I now have another idea for a piece of the old square rebar. Your going to like it.............

Eli Gautreaux
11-19-2009, 10:23 AM
Tai, My son's wife's brother works for a re enforcing steel contractor. I talked with him Saturday night about getting me some 1" rebar. He called yesterday saying he had some 7/8" and some 1 1/8" rebar he would be bringing over after work today. I forgot to ask him where it was made since I think its all made overseas now. I hope its as good as the bar I gathered in the 90's. If it is I'll bring some with me in February. I now have another idea for a piece of the old square rebar. Your going to like it.............

Good news!

Hope you find it up to your standards 2thumbs

Raymond Richard
11-19-2009, 10:38 AM
Good news!

Hope you find it up to your standards 2thumbs

Eli, It already meets one of my standards, its free! 2thumbs

Are you home yet?

Eli Gautreaux
11-19-2009, 10:58 AM
LOL, I knew you had standards!

We're still parked in North Texas, about to pull out and try to find a car wash, this thing is filthy! I know once I land at home I'll lose my little elves, so we're going to stop on the way and try to get it at least mostly cleaned up :)

I'll arrive home by this evening likely.

Raymond Richard
11-19-2009, 11:27 AM
LOL, I knew you had standards!

We're still parked in North Texas, about to pull out and try to find a car wash, this thing is filthy! I know once I land at home I'll lose my little elves, so we're going to stop on the way and try to get it at least mostly cleaned up :)

I'll arrive home by this evening likely.

Eli, Make sure those elves don't get lost. One of the ways I've gotten around the dirty vehicle thing is to add "farm" to it. My pickup is a "farm truck". It helps to have a little lose hay in the back and some seed that is actually growing. Its more convincing with the visual effects. In your case you need to call the motor home "portable farm shelter". Works everytime. :D

I'm sure glad you didn't need to use the spare tire. I hope the rest of your short journey is uneventful. Just drive down the center of the road like you've been doing and you should be fine......

jkf96a
11-23-2009, 10:39 AM
Since you know about rebar, particularly in odd shapes... I saw some used in an old silo that was twisted. I know the silo was built before the 40's, as that's when the lake was impounded that the silo is in the middle of. Any idea when twisted rebar was standard? May have to take a hacksaw out there on the boat and get me a few pieces...

Raymond Richard
11-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Since you know about rebar, particularly in odd shapes... I saw some used in an old silo that was twisted. I know the silo was built before the 40's, as that's when the lake was impounded that the silo is in the middle of. Any idea when twisted rebar was standard? May have to take a hacksaw out there on the boat and get me a few pieces...

You've talking about something I have never heard of or seen. If you do happen to get a piece I'd love to see a picture of it.

Raymond Richard
11-28-2009, 06:14 PM
Been working on turning the blade from the old square rebar into a knife. It should be done tomorrow morning.

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_1814.JPG

Jeff Pearce
11-28-2009, 06:29 PM
Very nice. i sure love your work....

Eli Gautreaux
11-28-2009, 07:33 PM
Awesome Ray!

I flattened someround rebar today, maybe it'll turn into something as nice as that some day :D

NickWheeler
11-28-2009, 08:11 PM
Hey Ray!

I've got some super old square rebar from a bridge, and it's all wrought iron.

Looks like yours is med carbon steel eh? Cool stuff!

Thanks for sharing 2thumbs

Peter Killgore
11-28-2009, 08:27 PM
Nice looking knife Ray! I've beat another blade out of that round rebar you gave me between yesterday and today. It still needs a few heats before it's finished but right now it's not looking to bad. Looks like you got a nice hamon on that one. What's the handle material?

Raymond Richard
11-29-2009, 12:17 AM
Hey Ray!

I've got some super old square rebar from a bridge, and it's all wrought iron.

Looks like yours is med carbon steel eh? Cool stuff!

Thanks for sharing 2thumbs

Nick, Wayne Goddard gave me this square rebar. It was given to him by some fellow that lived in the LA area in 94. There was a bad earth quack down there then and this rebar came from an old bridge that came down. The fellow that gave Wayne the rebar thought it was wrought iron. As for carbon content I'd say its about a .3. It did harden up good in water.

Raymond Richard
11-29-2009, 12:20 AM
Nice looking knife Ray! I've beat another blade out of that round rebar you gave me between yesterday and today. It still needs a few heats before it's finished but right now it's not looking to bad. Looks like you got a nice hamon on that one. What's the handle material?

Peter, This knife has a piece of elk stag for the handle.

Raymond Richard
11-29-2009, 11:29 AM
This knife is done now. Here's a couple pictures from Off Beat Forge and Photography. :D

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_1818.JPG

Picture of Mother and son.......
http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_1820.JPG

NickWheeler
11-29-2009, 02:41 PM
"Mother and son...." HAHA! :D

Great stuff Ray! Very pretty hunter/utility. cool 1

Eli Gautreaux
11-29-2009, 02:41 PM
BEAUTIFUL work Ray.

pocomoonskyeyes
11-29-2009, 03:00 PM
It sure is a beauty!! Great job!!

Denny Eller
11-29-2009, 03:11 PM
Hey Grandpa Richard, when are you going to make baby Kylie's first knife?

mofretwell
11-29-2009, 05:12 PM
Ray, you never cease to amaze me with your work! This is a really gorgeous knife. The bone handle is really a nice touch. I'm not sure if it is antler that has been sanded down below the ridges, or part of a shin bone that happened to have some ridges in it; but I really like the look of it. The butt cap really sets it off nicely.

I wish I were a millionaire so I could buy all your knives.

Raymond Richard
11-29-2009, 06:21 PM
Ray, you never cease to amaze me with your work! This is a really gorgeous knife. The bone handle is really a nice touch. I'm not sure if it is antler that has been sanded down below the ridges, or part of a shin bone that happened to have some ridges in it; but I really like the look of it. The butt cap really sets it off nicely.

I wish I were a millionaire so I could buy all your knives.

I thought you were a millionaire. :D This knife is real similar to Ancient Elk hunter. The handle is elk antler with my secret treatment process. Not sure what it is but the uglier the steel looks the better I like working on it. I just started another ugly steel blade.

Peter Killgore
11-29-2009, 07:30 PM
Ancient Elk hunter is one of my favorites.http://www.hawknknives.com/knives/_popup-knife-AncientElkHunter.html