PDA

View Full Version : HAMMERJAMIN

One
11-12-2009, 12:17 PM
Ray is planning on coming out to the Old Pueblo for a visit the end of February. We’re going to put on a one day “Hammerjamin” at my place, to give us something to do. We’ll focus on hand forging (hand eye coordination, personal philosophy and recycled metallurgy etc…) and will both be doing demos separately, plus a “Wild Geezers” collaboration together, (as long as Ray does all the hard parts and work),… so we can ask questions to each other about what, why and how we are doing what we are doing.

...Even if it’s just Ray and me, I bet we learn a lot!

(No Damascus allowed!)

There’s a good chance I can get a few musicians to entertain us during lunch and a camera crew to film the whole thing.

We’re looking at the last Saturday in February 2010, (2/27/10, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm). This event will be limited to 25 attendees. The price is $35 per person, (lunch included),… payment in full in advance.

There are reasonable hotel accommodations close by and campgrounds, including the beautiful Catalina State park, … just give me a holler.

Reservations, sign up information and directions, etc., contact:
taigoo@msn.com

Ray is going to explain "why we need Godzilla”, and perpendicular 1 inch square tongs,… maybe do a little preaching from behind the anvil,... about the bible and how it relates to bladesmithing for him,... and play the wash tub bass with me on the ukulele and/or Turkish spike fiddle.

I'll explain, "why we don't need Godzilla"... among other things. LOL

We’re just going to “Jambo” and be happy!... You can watch and ask questions!

… Did I get that right Ray?… I mean, how much trouble could we get in?

If you have any other questions,… please talk to Ray or myself!

Chuck Cook
11-12-2009, 12:48 PM
This looks great, and will have to think about going.

You two should think of putting one on in Oregon, for those of us in the PNW.

One
11-12-2009, 12:49 PM
Chuck,... already in the works. :)

I think we migth be able to get Wayne G. too?

You need to talk to Ray on that one.

Ray?...

Eli Gautreaux
11-12-2009, 05:21 PM
This sounds like a lot of fun... Hopefully I can swing it --- novices allowed?

Raymond Richard
11-12-2009, 06:50 PM
Tai, Thanks a lot for posting this! I've been chasing my tail most the day. Things will get back to normal sometime tomorrow.

Thanks again!

One
11-13-2009, 06:01 AM
Eli, Yes novices are allowed. There will not be any hands on participation by the attendees. Ray and I are going to demo and lecture all day. Hope you can make it.

Raymond Richard
11-14-2009, 11:13 AM
This sounds like a lot of fun... Hopefully I can swing it --- novices allowed?

Eli, we are all novices. You bet you'll be allowed!

Raymond Richard
11-15-2009, 11:15 AM
I just got off the phone with Tai. He's excited and so am I. Nice thing about Tai and I is we are both on the same page when it comes to hand forging. Even though that's the case both our approaches are different. I feel I'm going to learn something from Tai he will learn something from me. We were just telling each other that we have both come become a machine. Our shops are pretty empty until we show up. I'm the main machine in my shop and Tai is the main machine in his shop. I know for a fact that who ever comes to Hammerjamin will leave with a greater knowledge in hand forging. When I got an interest in hand forging in 1994 there really wasn't much information available so what I learned came from doing. The first time I gave it a try I pretty much told myself it wasn't going to happen but each year I gained more and more knowledge and experience.

Come to Tucson and learn how you can become a machine. :D

Bruce Bump
11-15-2009, 03:40 PM
That sounds like a very informative time for the lucky ones that can go by Two of the best hammermen in the knifemaking community. I hope somebody brings a camera and can show some highlights here.

Raymond Richard
11-15-2009, 05:33 PM
That sounds like a very informative time for the lucky ones that can go by Two of the best hammermen in the knifemaking community. I hope somebody brings a camera and can show some highlights here.

Bruce, Your making me blush....... I don't think there will be any shortage of cameras. I will give myself a nice hair cut and beard trim before I leave home to help insure fewer broken cameras. :D Did I mention I was excited about this?

Chuck Richards
11-18-2009, 08:31 PM
I'll be there. Hey Ray we need to talk about the PNW hammerin. It sounds like a lot of fun.

Raymond Richard
11-18-2009, 09:32 PM
I'll be there. Hey Ray we need to talk about the PNW hammerin. It sounds like a lot of fun.

Chuck, Will you be going to the Mini Show? Not sure if I'll be able to make it. I will try but not sure if my mind will arrive when my body shows up. I believe I will be back in the US on the 10th of December after I leave Japan. If I don't see you in December I will look forward to seeing you in Tucson.

Phil Dwyer
11-19-2009, 01:44 PM
I posted this in Tai's hammer thread on BF, but I hear this is the place with the other helpful hardware man...

Ok guys, guess what? I actually have a week off, sort of, in February. I say sort of, because school's out for a week, but we have our inter-island teachers' conference then. It is considered professional development (PD) week. I could actually bow out of the teachers' conference if I am pursuing alternative PD. Attending a seminar with world renown forging masters, Tai Goo and Raymond Richard would be IDEAL! Hanging with the woodchuck would be a bonus!

Sooooo....have you guys set a date yet? If it happens to be sometime within the date range of February 12-21 that would be way cool (pretty please). :beg:
Of course if it did, I'd still have to come up the airfare, ground transport and accommodations costs.

All the best, Phil

Raymond Richard
11-19-2009, 03:48 PM
I posted this in Tai's hammer thread on BF, but I hear this is the place with the other helpful hardware man...

Ok guys, guess what? I actually have a week off, sort of, in February. I say sort of, because school's out for a week, but we have our inter-island teachers' conference then. It is considered professional development (PD) week. I could actually bow out of the teachers' conference if I am pursuing alternative PD. Attending a seminar with world renown forging masters, Tai Goo and Raymond Richard would be IDEAL! Hanging with the woodchuck would be a bonus!

Sooooo....have you guys set a date yet? If it happens to be sometime within the date range of February 12-21 that would be way cool (pretty please). :beg:
Of course if it did, I'd still have to come up the airfare, ground transport and accommodations costs.

All the best, Phil

Phil, Do I need to write you a permission slip to attend. Guess you didn't read the first thread Tia posted on the subject. It's going to be on the 27th of February. Tai wanted to do it on the 29th but I told him February only has 28 days except for those leap years. Hope you can make it, maybe you can do a little fanagling and make it work.

Phil Dwyer
11-19-2009, 03:56 PM
Ya, I guess I read right over "the last Saturday in February" sentence. SHUCKS! For me it might just as well be on a blue moon in a leap year following a comet as that date. Dern, I was so surprised at what seemed my good luck timing wise. Oh well, tomorrow's another day...and all that...

Raymond Richard
11-19-2009, 04:16 PM
Ya, I guess I read right over "the last Saturday in February" sentence. SHUCKS! For me it might just as well be on a blue moon in a leap year following a comet as that date. Dern, I was so surprised at what seemed my good luck timing wise. Oh well, tomorrow's another day...and all that...

Phil, Right now we are in the thought process of maybe doing one in my backyard possible in September. Probably right when you start back to school. We'll keep everyone in formed. We'll most likely talk about it more while I'm in Tucson.

Chuck Cook
11-19-2009, 07:20 PM
Ray,
I really really want to come to the one in your backyard, so just please don't do it on Sept. 9th (Wife's B-day).
If I promise to bring the piece of rebar I got from you at your 2008 Bladeshow West forging demo in the form of a finished knife will you see what you can do for me?

Raymond Richard
11-20-2009, 12:02 AM
Ray,
I really really want to come to the one in your backyard, so just please don't do it on Sept. 9th (Wife's B-day).
If I promise to bring the piece of rebar I got from you at your 2008 Bladeshow West forging demo in the form of a finished knife will you see what you can do for me?

Chuck, Now I remember who you are. Is that piece of rebar a finished knife now?

As far as Hammerjamin II goes I'd like to have it the day before or the day after Blade West 2010. Now that's if there is another Blade West next year. I do think the month of September would be the best time to have it. Hopefully not to hot then and most likely no rain then. Still got to remember it will be in Oregon.

Chuck Cook
11-20-2009, 11:22 AM
Ray,

It's forged out, heat treated and has a "S" guard on it I just don't like, so it has sat for a year. It was the last guard I soldered on, I think I will pull it and do somthing like

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc67/scout_77/100_7984-1.jpg

or

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc67/scout_77/guard.jpg

Raymond Richard
11-20-2009, 12:34 PM
Chuck, I don't like either of those choices. You got a picture of the blade itself. The copper guard is to big and blocky. A simple oval works good for just about any knife. You know I like S guards to. If you can figure out how to shrink the picture some it would sure help viewing it.

Chuck Cook
11-20-2009, 07:11 PM
Thanks Ray, but I have de-railed this tread enough.

I wanted to add though you let me come to the one in Sept. I have a 10x10 EZ up I can bring incase of rain if you like, and my wife makes some mean deviled eggs. Let me know if there is any other help you might need.

Chuck

Raymond Richard
11-21-2009, 10:16 AM
Thanks Ray, but I have de-railed this tread enough.

I wanted to add though you let me come to the one in Sept. I have a 10x10 EZ up I can bring incase of rain if you like, and my wife makes some mean deviled eggs. Let me know if there is any other help you might need.

Chuck

Chuck, I'll keep you in mind. Tell your wife I could go for some deviled eggs right now!

Stor Olav
11-21-2009, 04:07 PM
I dunno, Ray, I may just have to cash in my airline miles for this one! As of today, Sal and I are leaving for Arizona in mid-December, and I don't think we'll be away from the old homestead more than 5 weeks. So I'm thinking about flying back for this cool event...
Eric

Raymond Richard
11-21-2009, 05:57 PM
Stor, By gosh I sure hope you can make it! You'll leave there a better person....... Just a little poorer. :D

Raymond Richard
02-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Tai informs me that there are a few more spots left at the 1st Annual Hammerjamin. I had been informed that Blade West is not going to happen this year because a bigger money maker came up but sounds like Blade West will be back in 2011. I'm sure Tai and I will talk about still doing a Hammerjamin at my place this summer.

Remember February only has 28 days and time is moving faster than any time in history.

Lorien
02-06-2010, 12:46 PM
time is moving faster than any time in history.

you got that right big fella.

Raymond Richard
02-24-2010, 09:54 AM
I'll be heading to the airport tomorrow morning and arrive in Tucson around 6:30pm that evening. I'd gotten an email from Tai saying he's got a pretty bad cold and its really zapped him. If you feel inclined to pray for Tai and me as well it sure would be welcomed! Not sure if I can do 8 hours of demonstrations on my own anymore without taking several naps inbetween. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. Tai tells me they have been getting more rain there than anytime he can remember. We will be seeing a living desert!

Chuck Brooks
02-24-2010, 07:31 PM
Hi Ray,
We got to Tucson yesterday about 2 PM. The weather has been a welcome change to what we have been having since Christmas. The weatherman says it is going to rain Saturday, but even that we can deal with. The flight out was good, nice motel, we've had some outstanding food, looking forward to you and Tai showing some of your expertise, see ya in a couple of days. Chuck

Raymond Richard
02-24-2010, 07:54 PM
Hi Ray,
We got to Tucson yesterday about 2 PM. The weather has been a welcome change to what we have been having since Christmas. The weatherman says it is going to rain Saturday, but even that we can deal with. The flight out was good, nice motel, we've had some outstanding food, looking forward to you and Tai showing some of your expertise, see ya in a couple of days. Chuck

Chuck, Its raining up here. Its not going to rain there Saturday. I'm leaving tomorrow morning. See you Saturday!

Eli Gautreaux
02-27-2010, 10:59 AM
Ray, I doubt you're checking this while out in AZ, but I'm hoping you guys are having a incredible time. I'm looking forward to the report!

Sure wish i was there...

NoahL
03-01-2010, 04:48 PM
The Hammerjamin event was great! I have a bunch of pictures to sort through, and then I will post some of them up on here

~Noah

NoahL
03-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Just a few pics from the event--I had a bunch, but unfortunately none of the spearhead because my battery died!

Tai demonstrating sharpening:
http://i48.tinypic.com/zo60k.jpg

Ray demonstrating Godzilla while forging a little hunter-thing:
http://i50.tinypic.com/r0cf93.jpg

Ray forging the point on the little hunter-thing:
http://i46.tinypic.com/106ij5k.jpg

Tai showing how to forge (and fix) an integral:
http://i46.tinypic.com/2vxhovp.jpg

~Noah

Eli Gautreaux
03-01-2010, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the pics! I knew I was going to be very sad about missing this one :)

Raymond Richard
03-02-2010, 11:51 AM
I just had a great time visiting with Tai! We both felt like Hammerjamin was a success. The weather was perfect but it do rain in Tucson. Sunday it rained all day but we did get to view the video and it turned out fantastic! Hopefully it won't be to long and we'll be able to offer the video for sale.

As far as I'm concerned Tia is indeed a master at what he does with the knife trade. It was just a pleasure to finally meet him in person!

My friend Marvin was also able to be there and he got some really great pictures? He's got the photo's on his website so if you want to view them just click on this link: http://www.marvel8ed.com/Hammerjamin/Viewer/index.html

Thanks, Marvin!

Chuck Richards also made the trip to Tucson and Tai talked Chuck into doing some forging. I know my arm was pretty well spent so it was a relief to have Chuck forge. It was nice to see 3 different styles of hand forging and I really appreciate Chuck taking over. I thank you and my right arm thanks you!

BlueSkyJaunte
03-02-2010, 12:40 PM
I laughed, I cried, I got called "Chuck" at least three times.... 2thumbs

Seriously, I had a great time and I hope this sort of thing becomes a regular event. Just not in the summertime.

Ray, it was a pleasure meeting you. My thanks to Marvin for posting the pics.

Chuck, it was great to meet you too. Thanks for the discussions and the "surprise" demo. I'll be in touch soon!

Aaron

Allen Newberry
03-02-2010, 12:55 PM
That looks like some good times right there!

Eli Gautreaux
03-02-2010, 05:48 PM
Those are amazing pictures! Thanks for the links.

Peter Killgore
03-02-2010, 10:07 PM
I like the new hairstyle Ray. :D Looks like a good time.

Raymond Richard
03-02-2010, 10:59 PM
I like the new hairstyle Ray. :D Looks like a good time.

Peter, I'm going to try Super gluing that long lock of hair on my bald spot and try for a comb over. :D

One
03-03-2010, 07:43 AM
That was a blast Ray! Thanks to all.

It was really great to finally meet Ray in person. He's way funnier in real life. :D

That was actually a lock of my hair. I have plenty so, figured I'd donate some to Ray. :)

Raymond Richard
03-03-2010, 11:08 AM
That was a blast Ray! Thanks to all.

It was really great to finally meet Ray in person. He's way funnier in real life. :D

That was actually a lock of my hair. I have plenty so, figured I'd donate some to Ray. :)

Tai, When I put my new hair piece on I do feel a power surge. Its not quite the same as when I have gas but similar. :D

One
03-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Looking good Ray! :)

http://www.marvel8ed.com/Hammerjamin/Viewer/photo42.jpg

Eli Gautreaux
03-03-2010, 04:40 PM
Tai, When I put my new hair piece on I do feel a power surge. Its not quite the same as when I have gas but similar. :D

Careful Ray, remember the old men thread... 2guns

One
03-04-2010, 10:23 AM
Here’s a few shots from after hours Saturday night. The moon was full,… so we decided to take a few heats on “Enchanted Billet #2“. Ray helped with the drawing and Chuck Richards helped me make the weld. That thing was HOT!

Jeff took the pix and is going to send me a bunch more from the whole day.

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww245/mtnmanjs/Picture287_1067x800.jpg

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww245/mtnmanjs/Picture279_1067x800.jpg

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww245/mtnmanjs/Picture296_1067x800.jpg

Raymond Richard
03-04-2010, 01:03 PM
Those are some pretty hot pictures!

One
03-04-2010, 01:23 PM
Jeff said he has about 300 pix!

Peter Killgore
03-05-2010, 01:49 PM
No one else has asked this so I figure I may as well ask. What made that there billet an "Enhanced Billet" ?

One
03-05-2010, 04:17 PM
No one else has asked this so I figure I may as well ask. What made that there billet an "Enhanced Billet" ?

...We "sang" to it earlier on. I think that qualifies it, from a technical standpoint. :)

Phil Dwyer
03-28-2011, 10:23 AM
Hey Grandpa -- I hear the Hammerjammin video is out. Where, how, when can I buy one? -- A fan, Phil

Raymond Richard
03-28-2011, 10:34 AM
Hey Grandpa -- I hear the Hammerjammin video is out. Where, how, when can I buy one? -- A fan, Phil

Phil, Yes it is. I should be receiving my first batch of video's sometime this week although Mister Goo has some ready to purchase on his website. I still need to see if I can get a paypal account set up. Last time I tried they said they wouldn't give me an account until I moved from under the bridge.

Phil Dwyer
03-28-2011, 01:40 PM
Ray -- Get er done! (Setting up a PayPal account that is.) Better pick up some mailers and postage stamps too. Finally, something I can swing sending you a wee bit of money for. -- Phil