PDA

View Full Version : GMK (grinding my knives) w/my KMG

Etowah Edge
11-10-2009, 06:33 PM
Got my new KMG painted and set up. The paint is Rustoleum dark bronze hammered finish. It matches the controller pretty well. I am well pleased with this machine. Spent last weekend breaking it in.

Thanks to Beaumont for the great service.

James Sanders

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr69/EtowahEdge/DSC02161-600.jpg

Jeff Pearce
11-10-2009, 07:44 PM
Looks great. have fun....2thumbs

rfrink
11-11-2009, 09:36 AM
Hi James, That looks great! I love that heavy (maple?) bench top!

I don't see any dust or grit on the machine yet, so whatta ya waiting for?

I have just one constructive comment..based solely on my personal opinion and experience. I like the mount the controller in front of the motor where it's closer to get to....shorter reach and more convinient. But, there are no rules with these machines which allows you an infinite selection of set-up arrangements.

Have fun with your new machine...and don't hesitate to drop us a line if you ever have any questions. We'll be glad to help.

Sincerely, Rob

Etowah Edge
11-11-2009, 07:55 PM
Thanks guys. The lack of dust is because I had just turned it on to test it when I snapped a pic. I was really anxious to get to work on this thing! Now I have 4" of grit and steel dust in my 5gal. bucket of water not to mention what I have swept up. Man this thing will grind down some stock!

The location of the controller is kind of funny, I went for as many accessories as I could get for now but was too cheap to get the drive belt sold with it.:o So, the belt I had was too long to leave room in front the motor. Hey, I'm using my KMG, all is good. LOL

James

rfrink
11-12-2009, 07:56 AM
............. Now I have 4" of grit and steel dust in my 5gal. bucket of water not to mention what I have swept up. Man this thing will grind down some stock!
James

2thumbs2thumbs YES! That's what I'm Talking about!

..can't wait to see some of your work here online!

-Rob

Johnny Roberts
11-16-2009, 09:33 AM
James,

The grinder looks great. So great in fact, I just got one myself. Actually its not here yet but should be soon.

What type and brand of paint did you use? Being in Houston, the humidity is pretty high most of the time.

I like the way yours turned out. What kind of prep did you do to the KMG for good paint adhesion? Many thanks in advance.

Johnny Roberts

Etowah Edge
11-16-2009, 04:41 PM
I started by disassembly and cleaning with paint thinner because thats what I had. I rubbed it down with a rag. Then I stood it on it's end and primed the bottom and all I could get to with grey Rustoleum primer. Because I was in a hurry, I blew it dry with a hair drier. Then turned it over and did the rest. after drying again I turned back the first way and painted it with Rustoleum Dark Bronze hammered finish. And so on... I did not take the flange bearings apart but I did loosen the bolts and turn them to where the grease fittings are pointing to the back so they are accessible.

Hope this helps.

James

Johnny Roberts
11-17-2009, 06:59 AM
James,

That helps a lot. Thanks again. Rustoleum seems to be the way to go.

JR

11-18-2009, 07:03 PM
... I did not take the flange bearings apart but I did loosen the bolts and turn them to where the grease fittings are pointing to the back so they are accessible.

Forget about the zerk fittings. The bearings are sealed and don't require any grease.

Rob just leaves in the fittings that come with the flange instead of installing screws to cap the holes.

It's misleading isn't it?
I'm willing to bet there alot of KMGs out there that have been greased cool 1

Etowah Edge
11-19-2009, 07:02 AM
Forget about the zerk fittings. The bearings are sealed and don't require any grease.

Rob just leaves in the fittings that come with the flange instead of installing screws to cap the holes.

It's misleading isn't it?
I'm willing to bet there alot of KMGs out there that have been greased cool 1

That makes sense. I wont bother with the greese then. Thanks
James