PDA

View Full Version : Beveled disc question

silver_pilate
10-23-2009, 12:39 PM
Rob,

I just recently bought one of your beveled 9" discs from a BF's member who is having some tough times. It's basically brand new, and I'm looking forward to using to to true-up my blade bevels.

My question is: Though I'm not worried about it on blade bevels, what is your experience using a beveled disc when flatenning handles scales and tangs? Does the beveled disc work for that because of the very slight concavity it grinds? Or do I need to stick with my old flat platen-to-surface plate strategy for these operations?

Of course, I could just buy another disc from you that isn't beveled for those procedures :D. I think the wife might kill me, though. :)

--nathan

rfrink
10-23-2009, 03:15 PM
Hi Nathan,

It's a great question..but there really is no single answer as there is are many cases of both success and failure with these beveled disks.

they were designed to level the grinds on long blades...which they do nicely. But in theory, they are not flat...but a squashed cone that is very shallow. So the grinds will not be truly flat.

Regardless of the theory, there are makers who use them for just what you are asking...and they are having great success.

On the other hand, there are makers who cringe at the thought of slabs, tangs, bolsters not being truly flat..and would never consider a beveled disk.

The proof is in the pudding so to speak, Since you have the beveled disk, give it a try on some scrap material laying around the shop....or rehandle that old rusty filet knife in your tackle box. Then decide based on your own results.

After all you can't argue with success.

Sorry that I don't have a better answer.

Please let us know how it works out.

-Rob

BossDog
10-23-2009, 04:10 PM
I use the beveled disc all the time. I can't even measure the very slight hollow it leaves. Also, consider the shape of the hollow it does leave. It will give you a tighter seam where the scales meet the tang.

silver_pilate
10-23-2009, 04:42 PM
That's true, Tracy. Especially if you grind the slab with the butt end on the outside of the disc and the slab positioned even with the hub.

As soon as I get another motor and rig a switch up to my VFD, I'll give it a shot and let you know how it goes. Or, I may just build it onto a tooling arm and power it with my KMG.

--nathan