PDA

View Full Version : ROUNDING OVER

v-6
10-23-2009, 05:45 AM
Anyone use a cornering tool for your wood handles?
Vern computer smash 1

John Barker
10-23-2009, 07:23 AM
You mean once you have attached the scales to the tang?
-John

Steven Janik
10-23-2009, 07:49 AM
If you are referring to a router with a roundover bit, I used to get my wood scales as close to the size of the tang as possible and then rout the corners over with a Dremel router before attaching them.

I think its a waste of time and you run the chance of a "blowout" when the bit crosses a grain direction change like on the ends.

I've either gotten much lazier or better because now I just freehand everything and get a better elliptical profile with a slack belt. Routed corners on flat scales dont feel right to me. Just an opinion.

regards,
Steve

v-6
10-23-2009, 08:59 AM
Anyone use a cornering tool for your wood handles?
Vern computer smash 1

THIS IS WHAT I MENT TO ROUGH THE EDGES BEFORE YOU MOUNT THE HANDLES, OR YOU COULD MOUNT THEM
http://www.woodcraft.com/Images/products/03K21.jpg?rand=33575610

http://cgi.ebay.com/nice-Stanley-29-cornering-wood-tool-on-original-card_W0QQitemZ400080291217QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item5d26a4c591

Sorry for the use of caps , not mad at anyone.

Steven Janik
10-23-2009, 09:48 AM
Hi Vern,
In my opinion, not worth the effort or the 25 bucks. You will still have a grain direction problem and the first time you hook a chunk off a nice scale you'll be throwing these in the river.

Just so you dont think I am a blow hard, please check www.romarcabinet.com ,been doing this since Pikes Peak was just a pimple.

regards,
Steve

P.S. DRAT!, now you guys will know where the WEDNESDAY NIGHT INSANITY giveaways come from.

Frank Niro
10-23-2009, 10:57 AM
I do all my handle work on the belt grinder up to 400 grit then its the hand sanding thing. When I first started I used course and fine files and then to the hand sanding. Frank

mack1
10-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Just a belt sander, up to 5X, then it's usually steel wool, 0000. 2thumbs

v-6
10-24-2009, 03:32 AM
thanks guys, just wanted to see what you had to say about it.
vern

John Andrews
10-26-2009, 08:32 AM
If you are referring to a router with a roundover bit, I used to get my wood scales as close to the size of the tang as possible and then rout the corners over with a Dremel router before attaching them.

I think its a waste of time and you run the chance of a "blowout" when the bit crosses a grain direction change like on the ends.

I've either gotten much lazier or better because now I just freehand everything and get a better elliptical profile with a slack belt. Routed corners on flat scales dont feel right to me. Just an opinion.

regards,
Steve Freehanding on the grinder works best for me, too. I already have the scales squared, so I just use a rocking motion and for some reason, it all comes out just fine. Having the scales squared with each other makes good reference points while rounding.

I can see one benefit of some pre-shaping handles, it saves on belt life when using stabilized wood. I do what shaping I can on the bandsaw and then move to the grinders.

I used to use my drillpress with rotary files to pre-shape handles but after some chunks got grabbed and chipped out, got away from that idea.