PDA

View Full Version : Need Your Opinions

Semper708
10-15-2009, 02:25 PM
Your impressions and thoughts on the design.........Thanks:running dog:

Horton Knives
10-15-2009, 03:39 PM
Honestly,, when I first started designing and makin knives, I designed around what was easiest for me to make, because I lacked the experience or confidence to veer away from what I knew I could do, you on the other hand have put a very Labor intensive and skilled blade to grind on a handle that could be so much more, just use that flow past the ricasso to the tang,, I like it,, I think you might have the skill to make me love it,, great job either way,. And anything positive is good.. A piece of 3/8 rusty tool steel I found at work and. A drawing,, less than 2 years ago. And now I'm in it, hooked , and love it, Its changed my life,,

murphda2
10-15-2009, 03:59 PM
Any way you decide to make it will be great as long as the user is comfortable with the design during use. I'm not a knifemaker (yet), just a guy that messes up alot of expensive steel trying. After spending time studying the designs of others and speaking to a few highly skilled makers I have learned that the overall comfort and performance of your knife will be better if you allow the handle to flow with the blade.

I would encourage you to consider redesigning the handle and have it curve down a bit. If you use the blade for any type of chopping or heavy cutting, the down curved handle will produce much less stress on your wrist that a straight handle will.

Just my $0.02. I hope this helps a little.

Clydetz
10-15-2009, 07:25 PM
Your design looks very interesting. Will it be one piece of steel with scales? Sort of reminds me of the 2nd knife I dreamed up and had made except for your interesting blade profile. If anything, I'd opt for a more rounded handle and possibly a slight 'palm swell'.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b114/Clydetz/DSCN8699.jpg

Semper708
10-16-2009, 08:53 AM
Your design looks very interesting. Will it be one piece of steel with scales? Sort of reminds me of the 2nd knife I dreamed up and had made except for your interesting blade profile. If anything, I'd opt for a more rounded handle and possibly a slight 'palm swell'.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b114/Clydetz/DSCN8699.jpg

Clydetz, One piece, and was going to use carbon fiber for the handles. Thanks for the input from all. I will make some changes on the handle and hope to post later on what I have done.

What is the rule of thumb for handle length? I had a two others designs with shorter, but after making cut-0uts of the two went with a longer handle on this one.

Thanks again for you inputs.......I love this place!2thumbs

Semper708
10-16-2009, 09:01 AM
Here they are......:confused:

Clydetz
10-16-2009, 09:56 AM
...What is the rule of thumb for handle length? I had a two others designs with shorter, but after making cut-0uts of the two went with a longer handle on this one...

I don't know if it's a rule of thumb but after checking a bunch of custom and production fixed blades of your size, seems like 4 1/2" - 5" is the standard. I have small hands and 4 1/2" handles work fine for me but I do prefer a 5" handle. The length of the handle could also help with the 'balance' of the knife.

Semper708
10-16-2009, 10:18 AM
Thanks, I thought the 5" would be the size I needed, but I guess when I start to make this one I'll make a few templates and see how they feel and adjust accordingly. I know I'm going to have to try a few before I get the grind correct.cry me a river 1