PDA

View Full Version : goose quill saber, short sword, pweld

kevin - the professor
11-20-2011, 07:57 PM
Hey Guys,
I am posting a blade that I made for chinese sword that is a combo of thrusting weapon and traditonal cutting saber. I like this shape a lot. I can't really make traditional fittings very well. It is enough for me to just focus on making good sword blades. I am hoping to collaborate with someone to fit this out. We will see what happens.

I posted dimensions elsewhere. Most important, it is 16.5" long. It has a full convex grind with a good bit of meat. The overall shape is an off-center clamshell. There is a rapid convex curve working from the beginning of the fuller to the spine of the blade, and a slow convex curve working from the same spot toward the cutting edge. If it was japanese, I would have put a crisp ridgeline where the bevel curves meet, but the Chinese often did not make the ridges, even though the blade still diminishes in either direction from the spot just below the fuller.

Hope you like it. Let me know if anyone wants to take this and finish it or work on fittings.

Kevin

bubba-san
11-21-2011, 12:01 PM
Back on top again , Kevin I just got the molds back from studio , I will start casting the fuchi/kashira and the menuki soon . That is for the naginata..... possibly I might help with the sabre after I get the fittings for naginata caste .......... Bubba