PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Box GIVE AWAY!

HHH Knives
11-20-2011, 01:28 PM
Well guys, Its that time of year again, I have a box of goodies to give away for Christmas!

This will be a BOX full of stuff to make a knife or 2 . Its gona be a surprise. But may contain Stabilized woods, high carbon steel, or damascus steel, and other goodies that could be used for making a knife! One thing for sure, It will be jammed full of some fun stuff for you to play with!!!

To enter.. tell us about one of your fond memory's of a Christmas morning.. or a description of a great Christmas gift you were blessed with.. Or just something funny about the holiday or yourself..

Posting "IM IN for today" alone without a memory will only improve your typing skills because it will not qualify as a entry. You Dog's no matter how young or old have to have at least a few memory's of Christmas..

Me and Randy Jr. sat here this morning and started talking about just a few of our memory's and came up with a list as ling as my arm! This giveaway ist fee the fee is sharing some Christmas spirit. So stop being a GRINCH and enter.

You can enter once a day. The drawing to determine the winner will be 12-10-11 using random number generator!

This is suppose to be fun. and a joy for us all. Please enter as many times as you want.. But again, YOU MUST post something about Christmas.. or your entry wont count.

This way the box should get there in time 4 Christmas.. :)

This is OPEN to all dogs. everywhere. no restrictions

Merry Christmas to you all. May God Bless You and Yours This holiday season!
Randy and Randy Jr..

Ender
11-20-2011, 02:54 PM
Well gee, another chance to thank you 20 times. I'm in for today. Thank you for the first time this round.

Gahagan
11-20-2011, 03:52 PM
Im in. for today thanks. Chrisatmas has always been a strange time for me. My birthday and aniversary fall within days of Christamas and it all seems to be a blurr.

James Terrio
11-20-2011, 05:30 PM
My Mom once felt bad for me because I stayed in bed til nearly 9AM on Christmas morning. She finally came to my room to see if I was sick, or what. "Don't you want to open presents and stuff?"
Well of course I did, but I knew they weren't going anywhere and why get up early on a day off? :D

Denny Eller
11-20-2011, 09:35 PM
I have fond memories of going to a Bob Hope Christmas show in Danang. Thanks for the chance, Randy, and Happy Thanksgiving to you and Jr. and your families.

Keith Willis
11-21-2011, 06:29 AM
I always remember,us kids,waiting on the "Sears Wish Book",after we were old enough to know "Santa",Mother would
tell us,we could spend $40 a piece.We would go through that book for hours.
Thanks Randy,

God bless,Keith

Patrick
11-21-2011, 07:10 AM
I always remember not getting much sleep from being so excited. Now I find that excitement in others Christmas.

Pat

Pieter
11-21-2011, 07:22 AM
December 4 years ago my Dad was in hospital for open hart surgery, all went very well and they released him on the 24 th of December. We spent an excellent Xmas day with the whole family. On the 27 th he complaint about the wound burning, took him back to hospital and he never came back out, he had picked up the super buc. Tell you one thing I will never forget that xmas day we got to spend with him.

Thank you very much for the chance Randy, jnr and your families.

Gahagan
11-21-2011, 07:22 AM
I am for today. I remember getting some 6 foot stockings for Christmas one year full of knife making supplies and candy. I think I was 12 at the time.

Eaglewood
11-21-2011, 08:17 AM
way in again!!!!!!!

Darrin Sanders
11-21-2011, 08:59 AM
I was in a coma for 33 days back in 2006 and was in really bad shape. Being in a coma I didn't know anything about it but they never gave my family any hope for me living until Christmas morning. My whole family waited until I was strong enough to open gifts which wasn't until february 9th of 2007. My life and my family postponing Christmas for me were better than any material gifts I've ever received. Thanks for the kind gesture Randy and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Rudy Joly
11-21-2011, 04:13 PM
Best memories so far are from recent years.
Seeing the look on my 4 grandson's faces when they got their grandad made knife. 3 more to go.

Of course I'm in Randy. Thanks for doing this.

Rudy

Silversage
11-21-2011, 09:17 PM
Christmas always would go duck hunting with Dad. Still try even though he has been gone 20 years. Take his old gun does not matter if we get anything or not:)

Lagrange
11-22-2011, 03:55 AM
I remember going to my grandma's house for the holiday's, dad was on leave. We pulled in to the house in the late evening. It was snowing but calm. The small town of Shipshewana was blanketed in snow. Grandma's house was glowing like a hallmark card.
I miss her sugar cookies.

Eric

Ender
11-22-2011, 05:17 AM
These are all such touching holiday stories. Best I've got to throw in is one of my first memories of running into the living room at 0530 to haul the complete Calvin and Hobbes collection into my room and reading all of them before anyone else woke up.

I'm in again, thank you for this opportunity.

Pieter
11-22-2011, 07:14 AM
In for today thank you Randy

Patrick
11-22-2011, 07:21 AM
We'd go up to Wausau, WI to spend some time with my grandmother. As soon as I got out of the car I'd head straight for the Wisconsin River about 1/4 mile from her house. For a few years I recall taking a small pack of ornaments down to the river and put'm in pine trees around the boat landing. Those were my all time favorite Christmas trees.

Pat

Gahagan
11-22-2011, 07:30 AM
Im in again. My 7th Christams was a lonly one. My father left us on my 7th birthday and my mother was so upset that we did not celebrate Christmas that year. I remember getting a small pullbach matchbox 3 wheeler for christams and loving it because it was all I got.

ironarmknives
11-22-2011, 09:13 AM
well at xmas time i'm at home alone Darci and Lynnette both leave dec 15 to jan 3 to east coast for xmas for the last 5 years i need to stay because of the three dogs and two horses that need feed and all but this year i had to work also so its kinda sad ,yet nice to lay around the house with nothing on and not having two
women dogging me out but it also means no baby to spoil but they have a good time seeing there family and i get them for the rest of the year LOL . I'm in for
the day

Darrin Sanders
11-22-2011, 02:27 PM
I remember when I was a teenager one Christmas morning all the lakes and bayous in our area were frozen over. I've only seen this happen in this area twice in my life. I found a curve in a bayou where the wind kept the water moving enough to keep it from freezing. It was like the ducks were fighting for a space in this little patch of unfrozen water and I killed my limit in 20 minutes and did the same thing the next morning in about 30 minutes. Thats one of my favorite hunting memories.

Sean Cochran
11-22-2011, 03:21 PM
So many memories of loved ones no longer with us. Thanks for the chance to take a trip down memory lane Randy. Seems sometimes I get to busy to just take a few minutes and remember those things.
I remember going to my granny's on Christmas Eve. There were so many of us, presents were there but nothing extravagant. I remember my Dad and his brothers and sisters acting like little kids picking at each other. They are all gone now.
I also remember my mother took all the alarm clocks to her room so we couldnt set them for 5 am. ;). I, however being the least well behaved in my house figured out that if I drank alot of water before bedtime I would have to wake up to go....instant alarm clock. :)
I can remember my daughter finally being old enough to enjoy Christmas. She wanted to wrap everything in the house.:)

Thanks again Randy
And Merry Christmas to all you dogs, May the Lord bless each of you.

Sean

Rudy Joly
11-22-2011, 04:42 PM
I don't know that I can come up with a story every post, but....

I'm in anyway.

Thanks,
Rudy

Silversage
11-22-2011, 08:30 PM
Rember the year when we actually had a blizzard on Christmas eve,took 4 hours to get home from hunting ducks and had to pull the state trooper out of the snow. First time I had ever driven in the snow!:) Thanks Randy!

Pieter
11-23-2011, 12:54 AM
I don't know that I can come up with a story every post, but....

I'm in anyway.

Thanks,
Rudy

Yes I agree Rudy it's not going to be easy, and then my typing skills is not that great.
But I am in for today agian. Thank you very much Randy.

HHH Knives
11-23-2011, 07:29 AM
I love you guys!! But feel the need to repost the RULES!!! And to share a couple memorable christmas's!

To enter.. tell us about one of your fond memory's of a Christmas morning.. or a description of a great Christmas gift you were blessed with.. Or just something funny about the holiday or yourself..

Posting "IM IN for today" alone without a memory will only improve your typing skills because it will not qualify as a entry. You Dog's no matter how young or old have to have at least a few memory's of Christmas..

Me and Randy Jr. sat here this morning and started talking about just a few of our memory's and came up with a list as ling as my arm! This giveaway isnt free, the fee is sharing some Christmas spirit. So stop being a GRINCH and enter.

Randy Jr's memory: Quite a few years ago my sister and i woke up to a huge pile of presents under the tree, It was great we were getting everything we asked for and then some...except for the dreaded christmas sweaters and turtlenecks and other garbage parents insist on dressing their children with.:biggrin: But there was one more thing that i wanted more than anything else that year and as dad pulled out the final present i knew something went a rye...!!!:what!: Now you may be wondering what this awesome wish list present might have been and im about to tell you but you are going to have to be patient..........I know your on the edges of your seats but the moment has finally come... It was a bb gun! i know every young boy wants one but this was the year i was getting one. But back to the present it was only one small package so i knew it wasn't my new bb gun. I opened it with a pretend smile trying not to upset dad only to find bb's and no more presents!!!!!:sad: After seeing my devastation dad explained that it must have fallen out of the cart when he was shopping or something. Then Just about the time i was realizing there is always next year, my Uncle and cousins came over and can you guess what that jokster had in the pile of presents he brought over. The other half of my wish list present that year... a new bb gun:biggrin: And that is one of my many many fond memories of Christmas mornings. Especially now that i am old enough to appreciate the joke. IT wasn't so funny then:9:

See not that wasn't too hard!! :)

Heres One of my memory's When I was about 13 years old I came home from school 3 days B4 Christmas to find my front door open. As I got closer I realized the door was broken. As I walked into the house I quickly realized someone had broken into our home and took all the presents from under the Christmas tree, as well as a bunch of other things like my 4-10 bolt action that was a hand me down from my Uncle. It was a hard pill to swallow. My Bow and arrows and my guns as well as the Christmas presents were GONE!!

That year I figured that there was not gonna be a Christmas.. My hopes were dashed. But then in the 2 days that were left B4 Christmas morning. My Mom somehow managed to get a few items for that morning. With the help of a few friends and neighbors that came together to help us.. Christmas morning when I awoke, expecting to find next to nothing under the tree, I was surprised to see gifts under the tree! I didnt believe in Santa Clause. But Now I DO!!! And Santa's still alive and well to this day!!

Merry Christmas.. And May God Bless each and every one of you this holiday season!
Randy Haas Sr. and Jr.

Patrick
11-23-2011, 07:48 AM
I can remember about '68 I got my first knife for a present(wasn't my first knife). It was a single blade give-a-way from the local hardware store that my dad and I frequented. It never left my pocket(even at school-omg) and I'd clean it up by leaving it the wash. I wore that little knife out and have no recollection of when it disappeared. Merry Christmas everyone. KnifeDogs are the best.

Pat

Lagrange
11-23-2011, 07:49 AM
I had wanted a Johny West action figure for christmas. It was the one thing I kept telling my mom I wanted. I knew it was probably not going to happen because money was tight while dad was in vietnam. But on Christmas morning I was exstatic to find that not only did I get the Johnny West action figure, but mom got me his horse to go with it. Into the cold winter of Radcliff Kentucky me and Johnny West and his trusty steed rode the hills and valleys keeping peace in a hostile environment.
I dont know what happened to Johnny...but I will never forget the sacrifice my mom made to give him to me. I wish I had him now just to look at and remember.
Eric
P.s. shut up, you wanted one too.

Gahagan
11-23-2011, 09:01 AM
Im in again. I remember my first Christmas being married. We tried to be with all the parents. We spent our whole vacation driving. After that we decided it best to have everyone at our house.

Rudy Joly
11-23-2011, 05:23 PM
Alright Haas, we get the picture !

Speaking of BB guns......
For christmas, as a 10 year old I get my first Daisy pump action BB gun. I run outside in just my T shirt, although it's snowing, cause I'm so exited I could pee myself. I still remember the A&P can of peas I grabbed from the trash to shoot at. I set the can up on a stump with the nice round bottom as my target, backed up a few feet and let fly with my Daisy. With my very first shot I felt a hot burning bee sting on the left side of my top lip....YEOW !!!!! So I panic and stay outside for a good long while freezing in my T shirt cause I know they'll take my gun away. After I can't stand anymore (and almost pee myself for real) I walk in the back door and right up to my room to "clean my gun" not looking directly at anyone. I had a fat lip for three days but came up with some good excuses of what happened. I watch ' A Christmas Story' every year with a big smile and think "that was me !". I've never shot at the bottom of a can since then, even though I know high caliber ammunition "probably" won't come back and bite me.

So there Randy.....you got your story.
Remind me to tell you some time about when I was a kid running with scissors.:what!::biggrin:
I'm in !!!!!

Thanks,
Rudy

OH !!!!! HAPPY TURKEY DAY !

Ausbrooks
11-23-2011, 09:47 PM
Great stories...I have received a lot of cool presents (bb gun, .22, shotgun) and could tell those stories, but I think of all the best present story I have was we we gave my dad an Accutron watch, the one that is gold and has the movement exposed inside, I think it's the astronuat model. I was about 8 or 9 then and was just there with mom when she picked it out for him. He was a tool and die maker and to get something for him he truly appreciated, was special. They are gone now and I have that watch in the safe and look at it once in a while and think about that Christmas.

Cameron Wilcox
11-24-2011, 12:39 AM
A fond memory I have is Christmas 2007 when I was 12 I got a Pellet Gun for Christmas, not quite as funny a story as randy Jr. but that's a little hard to beat. But I still have the little gun and use if every so often.
I think my age might be showing a little now. Looks like I'm the kid here... well at least I have some good influences on here.
I'm in

Gahagan
11-24-2011, 06:53 AM
I ma in agian. i remember my 5th birthday because my grandfather got me my first gun and knife. He got me a 16 guage Ithica shotgun and a buck skinning knife. I was no a true hunter. I was actually able to kill the derr instead of sitting in the stand.

Patrick
11-24-2011, 07:21 AM
Two years ago during the gun deer season my wife shot a grey fox. We've had so many of our chickens taken by predators so we were both happy to have one knocked off the property. She watched in awe while I cased it out. It was late and I told her I was going to throw it in the freezer until I could get someone to tan it(I ain't too fast on getting anything done). So she pretty much put it out of her mind.

Well the next day I took over to a local couple that did taxidermy and asked if I could get it in time for christmas. Brenda said no problem but it would be close. They had it tanned within two weeks but didn't have enough deer hides to fill their huge tumbler to soften the hides. So it's like one week before christmas and I still don't have the pelt and I'm getting worried. They told me to stop by christmas eve to pick it up. When I dropped by after work they said it wasn't finished. Wow! I got out of the big city so I wouldn't have to deal with christmas stress like this.

So after working the holiday for another guy I drove over to their house and woke them up and said I really needed the pelt even if it wasn't ready. They said it was put in the tumbler as long as they could for me and handed me that fox. I had a box ready to put it in and stopped back at work to wrap it before heading home.

We really don't do much for each other for christmas, so she noticed the box almost immediately after putting it under our tiny little tree. I told her how much I loved her and asked her to open the gift. She told me I wasn't supposed to get anything for her, I assured her I didn't get this for her. When she opened the box the face kinda popped out and she freaked. It only took a second to realize what it was. It was a priceless reaction.

That fox pelt hangs on the wall in our living room.

HAPPY Thanksgiving to ALL you KnifeDogs! This is my favorite holiday. I am thankful for so much and feel like the richest man in the world.

Pat

Pieter
11-24-2011, 08:22 AM
Way back in 78 when I left school we still had to do a 2 year national service in the defence force and there where to intakes, 1 in January and another one in July of each year and I was a July intake. I started working at the mine just outside the town and this would last untill I have to report to my new unit in July. That December my Dad gave me a car for Christmas you can imagine my joy the next day how ever he told me that there is still 3 monthly payments outstanding and seen that I am a working man now it would be for my account.

I am in again thanks.

Lagrange
11-24-2011, 09:31 AM
My wife and I, before we were married, went to a local gun shop to get some ammo before we went to the shooting range. While we were there we browsed the gun selection and happened upon a nice stainless steel mini 14. I told her that a friend of mine had gotten one and that some day I would like to have one. Imagine my surprise when she gave it to me for christmas. I was so moved by the gift...I started crying.
I still have the gun and the girl. A win win for me. ....Her....not so much.

Eric

Cameron Wilcox
11-24-2011, 12:07 PM
My house is around 500ft elevation so snow doesn't come often and only has once in my lifetime but one day in 2000 it snowed a couple days before Christmas and both my brothers and I went to play in the snow as kids do (I was 5 at the time) we played football in the show and had a great time, I still remember that year as a fun (almost) Christmas.
In again

Silversage
11-24-2011, 12:26 PM
In Again. Christmas of 2002 was a Christmas I will never forget...I spent the entire day in the hospital NICU on our first Christmas with our son. He was soooo Tiny but loved. The staff was awsome and the nurses had christmas presents and angel ornaments with the childrens names for every child,special treats for the parents and it was awsome:) And it just so happens that today is his 9th B-Day:) Happy B-Day Reece!!

UncleBillyKnives
11-24-2011, 12:40 PM
I love to make a big breakfast after the kids are done unwrapping gifts, then we lay around the rest of the day!!!!!!!!!!!

Rudy Joly
11-24-2011, 07:41 PM
In 1973 my now ex-wife bought me the most practical gift I've ever recieved for Christmas....a Craftsman 20 oz framing hammer. That hammer is now on it's 13th incarnation and still used today. I have to give Sears credit, I've returned the hammer 12 times for various reasons and always had it replaced with no hassle. It's been the gift that keeps on giving.

I'm in.
Rudy

Patrick
11-25-2011, 08:44 AM
A year ago today...which is officially christmas season, the woods brought me the present I had been looking for. The last two years I'd been looking for a 4 legged buddy. I searched hi and lo for the dog I visualized in my mind. Believe me my wife and I were always on the lookout for a medium sized red haired dog with a nice personality. Friends would bring pups by and I'd coldly turn away. I knew exactly what I was looking for.

Well I headed out to the woods to hunt a couple hours before going in to work. Got up in the tree stand before dark(real black friday) and just settled in when... I saw movement 25-30 yards from me and at first guess figured it was the badboy red fox that has terrorized my chickens. It was nose to the ground following my trail in. My 30-06 was up and ready to shoot without hesitation. Something seemed weird, it's tail was wagging like a dogs. By now it was only 15 yards away and I could tell it wasn't the fox but a dog. Man was I mad. I'm thinking hunting is shot, nothing is going to come around with some flea-bitten varmint running around.

So what happens next? This dang dog plops itself down right at the bottom of the tree I'm in. Now I'm boiling mad. I whistle first to shoo it away. Nothing. A few cuss words and whipping my arms around like an idiot. Still nothing. What the? I pull out my binoculars to look and I see the saddest eyes ever looking up at me. Y'all know what happens next! I climb down and look this mutt over. It's a she and she's very timid. No collar and a dirty little girl. Figuring hunting is done, I set out for the house and this now sweet thing is following me slowly but surely. She needed a lot of gentle coaxing to follow all the way and then I gave her "The Test" which had to be passed...period. Dogs are on our property to protect our chickens. As the girls(our chickens) came running up to me this little dog kept her eyes fixed on me and didn't even give the girls a second look. She passed.

It's a year later and "Red" is still my faithful little present. I wonder if she had dreams of finding some human to take care of her? Life is full of amazing wonders. Happy Holidays!

Pat

Silversage
11-25-2011, 09:56 AM
The last few years Christmas bring both joy and sadness. My 21 year old niece had spent a year recovering from a car accident where a guy with no insurence was driving the wrong way on the freeway and ran headon into her...killed her grandmother and broke arms,pelvis,legs jaw etc... survived 12 hours of surgery to initially put her together. Over the year underwent several more surgeries. Christmas she was excited to be able to walk again and made us all terrible fudge:) I still have some years later as she was scheduled for arthroscopic surgery on her knee the day after christmas...long story short but they screwed up injected the drug into a blood vessel straight to her heart where it stopped it.21 years old and we lost her to that after all she had been through...

UncleBillyKnives
11-25-2011, 11:19 AM
In again. thanks Randy

Darrin Sanders
11-25-2011, 10:51 PM
I got my first gun (Winchester .410 single barrel) for Christmas when I was 7. Talk about a happy little feller. I don't even remember any of the other gifts I got that year. I still have that gun and always will.

Patrick
11-26-2011, 09:15 AM
Christmas '99 I received a pair of Nikon Monarch binoculars. They are so great that I had to try'm out asap. There was a fresh layer of snow in Wisconsin so I headed to the park and ran around those woods for hours. Those specs captured all the glistening of the snow and actually spotted a doe with her fawn. I must have watched them meander a 1/2 mile through the trees. It was a fond christmas day memory.

Randy and Junior I want to thank you for the chance to relate a few Christmas stories. This is one of the coolest Give A Ways. I’ve been kind of a scrooge at Christmas for years because it seems it’s only about the STUFF, but every year some one or some thing happens to help change that attitude. Thanks for bringing back some far away memories.

Pat

Silversage
11-26-2011, 10:22 AM
Having a B-Day next to Christmas as a child is tough:) You can open a Christmas present early for your B-Day:) Was not until I got older that I realized that I was told that because the money was not there for both...

Rudy Joly
11-26-2011, 04:13 PM
This ain't a memory yet but one in the making.

My best freind has had issues recently with his health, I mean serious issues.
It's been a rough couple weeks between ICU and rehab hospital but he's supposedly going to make it to Christmas. His kids are as close to me as my own and I've had to answer some pretty tough questions from them. We all want him around to make those memories WITH us.

This isn't my typical wisea$$ post, the subject has been weighing heavey on my mind.

Rudy

UncleBillyKnives
11-26-2011, 05:00 PM
I am back in for today. Thanks Randy!

Darrin Sanders
11-26-2011, 10:11 PM
I used to work in the Gulf of Mexico and worked 28 days and was home for 14 days. I spent several holidays away from home. It makes me appreciate being home for the holidays a lot more now.

Keith Willis
11-26-2011, 10:35 PM
My son was about 5 or 6 years old,He got up at 2 am on Christmas morning,and walked in my room.
I woke and saw him,but didn't say anything.He came and stood over me,about every 30 min,
until His mother an I got up.He was ready to open those presents.

God bless,Keith

Lagrange
11-26-2011, 10:42 PM
I remember one christmas that my kids asked me for snow on christmas so they could go sledding. It wasnt supposed to snow, but it did. My kids wanted me the help them thank God for helping them. It was special.

TASelf
11-26-2011, 11:54 PM
One of my most fond memories of Christmas morning was when I received my first knife, a Barlow. My step-dad said it was a reasonable knife for a boy. My weapon and trap making grew by many levels of sophistication. :0) I'd like to be
considered for the prize. Thanks, Tom

Gahagan
11-27-2011, 06:36 AM
Im in for today. I remember when my Grandmother was still alive she would gather the whole Gahagan family at her house and we would exchange gifts. It was a great time to see relatives we usually never get to see.

Patrick
11-27-2011, 09:47 AM
I've been having the kids over on Christmas eve so they could spend time with other family members on Christmas day. So we've got our 4 kids together and my stepdaughter is mighty pregnant. She just can't get comfortable no matter what and doesn't stay as long as the other kids. My wife gets a call in the middle of the night that she is in labor and having the baby. She leaves to be with her, and when I get up to the hospital our first grandson has just been born on Christmas day 2006. He now is a super energetic guy with a mind like a steel trap. It was truly a blessing.

Pat

Darrin Sanders
11-27-2011, 10:07 AM
Christmas always makes me think of my Grandma. She was on a fixed income and had very little extra money. Every year she would pick up pecans, shell them out, and sell them to people in the community so she could buy her kids and grandkids a gift. Her gifts were never expensive but always meant a lot because of the work and sacrifice it took for her to buy them.

martinjj
11-27-2011, 04:27 PM
Christmas Eve at my Grandparents eating salted cream Cod over boiled potatoes, cookies and candy. Open up the presents and than go sit in church(for what felt like hours on end) for midnight mass! The next day I would be playing with my toys or helping gpa tinker in the work shed. We would have a big ham dinner and than go home. I remember one year my Grandfather got me a model airplane kit, the Balsa wood and paper kind. We spent the whole day putting it together listening to him tell me stories of when he was a kid and making these same type of models. I made the mistake of taking the plane to school for show and tell and it got crushed by other 6 graders, boy I sure wish I still had that plane! good times!
Martin

Lagrange
11-27-2011, 04:49 PM
I remember going to grandmas for christmas dinner. The entire family would be there. It would take three tables end to end and a table off to the side for the kids. Grandma always made so much food that you thought she was feeding an army. After dinner the men would sit in the livingroom and talk while the women would tend to the dishes. In the evening she would bring out cookies and cake. She was such a wonderful cook. I hope my kids have those kinds of memories when they get older.

Eric

Rudy Joly
11-27-2011, 06:00 PM
In the early 60's my parents had freinds across town that we would visit and trying to hide didn't do any good. I absolutely hated being dragged there. The kitchen always had a peculiar smell that I never did identify. Their kids were like manequins and no fun at all. I remember their son crying because he got his pants dirty one time...jeesh ! They had a formal living room and a regular living room that us kids were bound and shackle to. No kids were allowed even to step into the 'special room' and we'd have to stand in the doorway silently untill we were acknowledged. The 'special room' consisted of the Christmas tree and really loud ugly furniture protected by clear plastic slip covers. I'm surprised the tree didn't have a slip cover. Standing in the doorway, I always got the impression that I was looking at a museum display. The slip covers made all kinds of stange noises when the adults moved and always looked wet. I don't miss those days at all, I'm glad we moved. Not all Christmas memories are warmy/feely.

If this goes on another month I'll have no choice but to get into the strip joint and bar room Christmas stories. :what!::drool:

I'm in.

Rudy

UncleBillyKnives
11-27-2011, 06:38 PM
My son was just watching videos of Christmas morning from about six years ago. WOW was is neat watching how little and how excited the kids were!

Silversage
11-27-2011, 08:48 PM
Christmas light have been up for two weeks.I guess I am a little bit of a Christmas light fan.:)

Patrick
11-28-2011, 09:26 AM
Some time ago, back in my 20's I recall being out bow hunting for deer. It was a cold but comfortable day in the woods. After a long time of seeing nothing but snow and squirrels I was graced by a 6pt buck coming straight towards me. He seemed very determined in his pace. As the buck was starting to pass me he allowed me a 20 yard shot which I took. There was no shouting or bragging. Feelings of being one with nature filled me. That Christmas meant a lot to me.

Pat

Darrin Sanders
11-28-2011, 11:18 AM
I can't make posts about Christmas w/o making one about food. Here are some of my favorite Christmas foods. Cornbread dressing, Cochon de Lait (roasted pig), dirty rice, pecan pie, & fruitcake.

Gahagan
11-28-2011, 04:35 PM
in again. Talking about food I remember when I lived in Germany when I was yound and walking around and the street vendors selling rosted chestnuts. I loved thos things and have yet to find anywhere I can get them here in the states.

Rudy Joly
11-28-2011, 05:35 PM
Until my mother died 3 years ago, every Christmas dinner we had rabbit. She laid them out in a couple large roaster pans and cooked them slow with apricots and raisins. My mouth waters just thinking about it. Haven't had a bunny since. My kids weren't too hot on the idea after telling them they were really cats. lol. It may be time to rekindle a tradition.

I'm in.

Rudy

Silversage
11-28-2011, 05:37 PM
For us at home we always have Cabbage Rolls. My wife is Canadian and they always bring her memories of Christmas:)

Ausbrooks
11-28-2011, 10:12 PM
Christmas morning breakfast at home we would always make eggs benedict. That and dad would always get some See's candy.

Silversage
11-29-2011, 02:27 AM
The other fun thing especially for the little ones is to go to NORADS web site and track Santa!!

Darrin Sanders
11-29-2011, 04:49 AM
I remember when I was a kid, one of the local TV stations would start a 30 minute program before the news started in the evening. You could write a letter to Santa telling him what you wanted and send it to the station. We would watch that show every day until Santa read our letter. Talk about getting excited when you saw Santa actually reading your letter. Thanks Randy, not only for the GAW but also for helping bring back some fond childhood memories.

Patrick
11-29-2011, 10:47 AM
We have just put our Christmas tree up. It is a little 4 footer with a bunch of natural hand made ornaments. The lights are shrouded in shotgun shells. Most of the ornaments are sweet gum seed pods and these globes from scrub oaks that I found in the woods over many years. It is adorned with bird nests and other wonders found outdoors, with a few store bought special ornaments. I do like the simplicity of our tree and most people are amazed by it too.

Pat

Gahagan
11-29-2011, 01:41 PM
yea its Chrishtmas light time again. I dont like putting up the lights but my daughter loves them so out I go in the cold.

UncleBillyKnives
11-29-2011, 07:28 PM
This is the first year Santa does not have to wait for the kids to go to sleep to bring presents:shush:, BUT, my daughter is demanding tradition be followed! At least Santa will get some good cookies!:drool:

dsjm
11-29-2011, 09:24 PM
Keeping with the knife theme, I recall one of my all time favorite gifts was a set of "sticks" with a carving knife. Inside the fake wood was a hard plastic toy. You simply whittled off the soft "wood" part of stick to reveal the piece inside. Almost like you whittled that thing yourself. LOL.... I always thought that was a great idea. haven't seen anything like that since I got them for Christmas probably 40 years ago.

Patrick
11-30-2011, 07:34 AM
When I was married to my first wife in '81 her folks gave me a Daiwa rod/reel combo for christmas. I'll bet you I cast that thing at least a million times fishing offshore Lake Michigan. The largest fish I caught with it was a 19 pound Chinook salmon. Lots of salmon ended up in the smoker because of that rod. Mmmmm I could really go for some smoked salmon right now as we don't get much here in Tennessee. My brother and I gave away hundreds of pounds of smoked fish for gifts.

Pat

Gahagan
11-30-2011, 10:05 AM
Man I would like one of those whittle toys. I remember getting a small pcket knife for Christmas one year and trying to whittle on a piece of wood and the blade closing down on my finger and cutting it off right through the nuckle. I wasnt very happy with the knife (even thought it was user error).

Silversage
11-30-2011, 09:29 PM
Christmas of 1976 I asked for the infamous BB gun...I waited anxiously for Christmas to arrive. Wh en the big day appeared there was a BB gun shaped box under the tree with my name on it but it was too heavy..upon opening it too my utter surprise was a brand new Browning T-bolt Deluxe:) What a surprise...I still have that gun 35 years latter and minus a few small scratches still looks new as I was very carefull with her:)
Jay
P.S. For those that have never played with one they are a straight pull bolt action:)

Winterbear
11-30-2011, 10:39 PM
So my mom saves and reuses many things bags boxes ect, when I was between 6 and 8 years old and I opened a wrapped box and was terribly excited that I got my own box of velveta processed cheese! Needless to say I was less than excited to discover whatever was really in the reused box, can't even remember now. A few years ago after my family telling that story for years my sister thought it would be cute for my nephews to get me a box of velveta for xmas. Sad to say my adult tastes are a far cry from the early my days and I cannot stand velveta now. My wife sent out kids Xmas lists to the family a few days ago via facebook and mentioned nicely for me that we do not need any velveeta this year :) thank you for this awesome giveaway opportunity.
Chris

Patrick
12-01-2011, 07:11 AM
One of my all time favorite toys was HotWheels. My mom got me bigger and better sets each year at Christmas for some time. Seems like I had enough track to go around the block. Oh and remember Sizzlers! That was the battery operated depot that propelled your HotWheels car at bruising speeds. Don't ask me how I know that. This is fun going back into the Brain Vault for a little dusting.

Pat

listerp
12-01-2011, 01:19 PM
I'm in

It was the Christmas of 1980, I was a huge Star Wars fan as a kid, I wanted the toy AT-AT for Christmas but it was a lot of money so my parents told me I couldn't have it. I was also a bit of a snoop as a child and knew where my parents hid the presents and also knew how to open the wrapping without it being noticed, so when I did my snooping that year I found they did get the the toy I wanted I was thrilled! When it was time to open the presents I opened all of them and none of them where the AT-AT I was devastated, then a little while later I saw my dad at the end of the hall with a huge box wrapped up, it was my beloved AT-AT!

Rudy Joly
12-01-2011, 01:32 PM
For Christmas, my aunt has been sending me gummy bears from Belgium every year since the 70's.........
I don't think she realizes that I'm 56 years old and really don't need them . My kilo should be arriving soon. But it beats getting a homemade sweater with variable length sleeves.

I'm in.

Thanks,
Rudy

Lagrange
12-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Watching my daughter open her first christmas presents was huge for me. She was born the 4th of January, so her first christmas she was nearly a year old. I wanted to tear the wrapper off the presents for her...she seemed to be so hesitant to rip anything. To this day (30 years later) she is still smooth and methodical and opens presents like she is going to save the paper.

Eric

Gahagan
12-01-2011, 02:47 PM
I remeber one year geting some money for Christams and went out and got a Optamus Prime Transformer. We then went to the PX and my mom set the bag down when we went to leave the bag was gone. I had saved for a while to get that toy and the Christams mony had just toped it off. I am thinking it was something like $50. I was torn up and couold not stand it. But two days latter we were shopping at the grocery store and I looked down and behold a $50 bill was on the ground. I was so happy but decided to do the right thing and took it to the front desk they told me that they would hold it and if no one claimed it by the next day it was mine. Well 3 days went by and no word so I gave up hope. The next daythe phone rang and it was the grocery store not one had climed the money so it was mine. I now had the $50 need to get my transformer again. So in the end it turned out okl.

Silversage
12-01-2011, 06:09 PM
Rudy,

My sister always sends my Gummy bears from Germany:) She lives in England and makes sure she has them every year!!

Rudy Joly
12-01-2011, 06:42 PM
Rudy,

My sister always sends my Gummy bears from Germany:) She lives in England and makes sure she has them every year!!

They taste great but tasted better when I was a kid. She must still see me as a kid, we talk once a month on the phone but she hasn't seen me since 1963. She sent me a hand knitted sweater once ....The neck hung off my left shoulder and the sleeves were made for an ape, they were more like bell bottom pant legs. Very nice woman though.

Rudy

Gahagan
12-01-2011, 06:59 PM
I used to live across the street from the Gummybear factory in Germany and love fresh gummies I remember we could get a 1lb bag of the defective gummies for 1 mark. I still eat them any chance I get. Everyone knows Haribo gummies are the only true gummie.

Rudy Joly
12-01-2011, 07:44 PM
Everyone knows Haribo gummies are the only true gummie.
Fresh gummies are the best.
She sends me Lutti and Joris in one kilo containers. No wonder I have a plate in my mouth. lol. I thought I was lucky living two houses away from the candy store as a kid....you had THE factory.

Rudy

Winterbear
12-02-2011, 12:07 AM
One xmas when I was 17 or 18 my cousin who is 9 months younger than me opened all of her presents from the other side of the family her grandmother (a little nuts) got her underwear well they were not young lady underwear but huge granny panties! It was the funniest thing of that whole holiday seeing her open them and hold up a pair with a WTF look on her face. a couple years later they were regifted to my sister then my cousin's new step mom :) who had no idea why she was being given huge granny panties, then I got them in a exchange with some other stuff. The family talks about it every year and no one remembers exactly who had them last and know they will turn up eventually. meanwhile I bide my time waiting for one of the nephews or my other male cousin to get a steady GF or wife so the new gal in the family can get a proper xmas initiation.
Chris

Archer Moon
12-02-2011, 07:46 AM
When I was about 8 my father and my uncle helped with the Xmas tree. They took gummy bears, put them in a noose of tencel and hung them from the tree. I thought it was very funny. My mother did not. My grandmother really did not!

Patrick
12-02-2011, 07:53 AM
One of the most hilarious Christmas' was the first family Christmas party I went to with my girlfriend(my current wife). The sister whose house it was going to be at sent out an email some weeks prior to her 6 sisters about not throwing tampons in their toilet at the party, because of the septic system. Well the youngest sister Jo is a frickin' comedian. Jo came out of the back room dressed as a giant tampon. The costume was made out of cotton batting and red fleece, complete with large string trailing behind. I was laughing my tail off so hard it hurt and so was everyone except...the one sister and her husband. Dang that was sooooooo funny and it makes me laugh just thinking about it.

Pat

Silversage
12-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Sooo jealous living across the street from the Gummi factory!!!! My sister has now added gummy cokes to go with the bears. Guess she figured they needed something to drink waiting for Christmas!!

Woodlab
12-02-2011, 10:13 AM
I was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer in January of 2005...spent most of the year battling it thru chemo, radiation, and multiple surgeries. So, my fondest memory of christmas is waking up December 25th, 2005 to my wife and 2 sons....still being there to share it with them. (and since)

Lagrange
12-02-2011, 02:01 PM
I remember as a kid my uncle had a stuffed owl in the garage. I swear that regardless of where you went in that garage it looked like the owl was watching you. That thing freaked me out. There was no way I was going into the garage in the dark. On christmas morning after everyone had opened their presents my uncle asked me to go to the garage and get him a screw driver. It wasnt dark out there, but the owl was still there...and I wasnt going to go.
I found out later that everyone knew that I was afraid of that owl so my mom had hid my brand new bike out there so I wouldnt find it.
Its funny now...but it wasnt funny then.

Eric

Rudy Joly
12-02-2011, 03:12 PM
My father and younger sister always take the pipe for Christmas.
He was born on Christmas eve and she was born New Years' Day. Their Christmas and birthday presents are always combined as a Christmas present, it's just easier for the rest of the family. They're always griping about the stiffing they get for the holidays. BooHoo.

Rudy

UncleBillyKnives
12-02-2011, 04:27 PM
I were were lucky to have a cold snap before Christmas, after we got done opening presents, we could walk out on the lake and skate or go ice fishing.

Gahagan
12-02-2011, 07:45 PM
I remeber being able to open one present the day before Christmas. We had to choos carefully and my parents always held some back in reserve for Christmas day.

Denny Eller
12-02-2011, 08:15 PM
I sat up all night with a timer set for 7 A.M. so I would be up in time for Christmas morning one year. Every time I'd fall asleep and then wake up I would reset the timer.

Benr.t
12-03-2011, 12:21 AM
3 years ago this year, my daughter was born on Dec 28th, its a fun time of year for our family!

Silversage
12-03-2011, 04:41 AM
Okay I have to ask...Why is it that your Christmas lights alays burnout in hardest too reach places.......

Lagrange
12-03-2011, 05:42 AM
When my oldest daughter was 6 she only asked for one thing for christmas. It was a doll that was like a real life baby. My wife and I found one and bought it for her. To keep it from her we hid it in the trunk of the car. It was about three months before christmas. When it got time to wrap presents for the tree we went looking for the doll and it was gone. The only thing I could figure is it must have gotten stolen when the car was in the shop for repairs. We ended up driving through a blizzard 50 miles to the nearest place that they had that doll to get a replacement. I can remember wondering if it was worth it. The roads were terrible. She loved that doll, but I will never forget the trip we made to get it for her.

Eric

Patrick
12-03-2011, 09:10 AM
Why do they do that with one certain toy every year that every kid wants but only 25% get because they didn't make enough? When my son was young I can remember the Great Quests(as I always called them) involved with trying to find a store with "THE" toy of the year. When all was said and done, couldn't get that toy and I'd usually opt for some science educational thing that would get WAY more use out of and he'd learn something to boot. Every year "THE" toy seems to be one that requires no imagination on the childs part. There's still nothing funnier than getting a child a certain present and they enjoy playing with the box more than anything.

Pat

Kevin Cross
12-03-2011, 01:43 PM
When I was 10 years old I only wanted two things for Christmas. A guitar and a shotgun. My parents knew nothing about guitars so they took me shoping so I could pick out what I wanted. My mother specifically told me that no way was I going to get a shotgun. I will never forget the look on mom's face when grandpa walked into our house on Christmas morning and handed me an Ithaca Featherlight! I was bouncing off the walls all day long.

Thanks for the chance to remember, Randy.

Kevin

Silversage
12-04-2011, 03:32 AM
We always have followed the old german tradition of hiding a glass pickel ornament somewhere in the tree,two years ago I hauled the old tree out and put it in my pheasant pen as they enjoy the greenery. Well about a month later I saw one of the birds pecking at something,yep I had forgotten it and hauled the pickel out with the tree:) So nobody got the extra present that year!

Patrick
12-04-2011, 08:59 AM
A few years ago my wife told me about wanting a place to sit and enjoy time along the trail in our woods. So I remembered having some hand drawn plans for an Aldo Leopold bench. It is a comfortable easy to build bench and would be perfect to watch nature from. So I find this spot with a bent over tree, overlooking a pond, to place the bench. Next thing I had to do was gather up materials and level out a spot. This was all done in December and was only wearing a t-shirt. Got a 3x5 area laid out with bricks and small rocks to fill it in. I could only work on it a bit at a time so I'd cover everything up with a ton of leaves and hope she wouldn't stumble across it...literally. Christmas Eve after she went to bed I had to take the bench out, clean all the leaves from the area and put the large bow on it. After I made coffee and breakfast for her I said I wanted to take a walk with her and our dog Charlie. I tried to keep her attention away from it until we were right at it. Thought she was gonna cry she was so happy. Love it when a plan works out. Happy Holidays Dogs!

Pat

Rudy Joly
12-04-2011, 10:57 AM
Silversage,
You have no idea how hard it's been resisting comments on hiding the pickle. LOL.

One of my worst Christmas memories is going to my car Christmas morning to do my usual rounds of visiting the kids and grand kids and getting no response at all when I tried to start it. I checked everything under the hood and even had jumpers on the battery and still nothing. As a last resort I decided to lay down in the snow and have a peek under the car. I found 3 large icicles hanging from the engine block with the freeze plugs laying on the ground. It had been a pretty cold winter but the coup de grace was how the wind howled across the lake. With no garages open I was forced to fix it myself, many miserable hours laying under the car in snow and howling wind. I don't miss that Chistmas wrecking place at all.

I'm in,
Rudy

DonL
12-04-2011, 07:37 PM
Count me in Randy.

Back when we lived in Houston, my Wife wanted a White Christmas really bad. Normally we'd spend Thanksgiving with my Family near Tulsa and Christmas at our home in Houston with my Wife's family. This particular year we reversed and decided to go to Mom's house just outside Tulsa. We hoped to get some snow. The reports were favorable so we started out late for what is normally a 9 hour drive.

We were nearly to Dallas when we started hitting freezing rain. A big Northerner was moving in and they forecast wasn't pretty for areas North. A little ways outside of Dallas, the roads started getting really slick. I slowed down to 25. By the time we hit the Oklahoma line, the road was lined with cars in the ditch. We started trying to find a motel, but every one we came to in the little towns were booked solid. So we kept trudging on North.

Finally, we ran out of it about 30 minutes from my Mom's house. The trip took us 16 hours!

We had a great Christmas with my Mom that year. No White Christmas in Tulsa, but it was the year that Houston, Galveston and Corpus Christi had a White Christmas!!! We went hunting one and it came to our house while we were gone! Go figure!

Ausbrooks
12-04-2011, 09:38 PM
For Christmas break from gun school in 1977 a buddy and I drove from our college dorm in Trinidad, CO to Denver, hitting a big snow storm on the way. He stayed with his girlfriend there and I took his car, a 1963 Ford Falcon with bald tires, another 50 miles to my parents house in Loveland. It was snowing so hard you could barely see the highway which was deep with snow, but that car just kept going. I've never been so happy to get home in my life.

Patrick
12-05-2011, 07:23 AM
It was always a white Christmas in Wisconsin when I was a kid. I had to be 7 or 8 when my folks got me the coolest sled. After all the hooplah a bunch of us went to suicide hill at Mitchell Park way back behind the Domes. There were so many kids tearing up that hill. Can't remember who was riding it when they hit the bump that sent them flying and crashed down on the sled breaking one of the wooden slats. But as always my dad fixed it and I got a lot of use out of that sled.

What has been fun is talking to family and friends to come up with some of these old stories. You can kinda lose sight of what christmas meant as a kid until you go into the Way-Back machine and realize how you felt.

Pat

HHH Knives
12-05-2011, 11:45 AM
You guys are awesome. We have thoroughly enjoyed all your posts! Its great to take a trip down memory lane! Thanks for sharing and lets keep this going and finish strong!

Merry Christmas!!!

Rudy, Thanks for holding back on that Hide the pickle bit. LMAO!!

Gahagan
12-05-2011, 03:01 PM
I remember in 6th grade going to school after Christmas and everyone showing what they got for Christmas and there being a boy that I knew socially but not well sitting off to the side and I went over and asked him what he got. He looked at me sadly and said nothing. His parents were sperated and his mom went to jail before Christmas and he was sent to his brothers. Well I felt bad for the kid went to the teacher and got a box and some wrapping paper that was used ot decorate a bullitin board and wraped up my new Starter jacket and brought it to him saying I for got to give him a present before the holidays. I never saw him open it but did see him in the hallways wearign it, My mother was going to kill me until I told here the situation.

Silversage
12-05-2011, 03:50 PM
Only you Rudy would think of that:)

One of the best present I have ever recieved was in 1986... I had just lost my first German Shorthaired pointer Buck. He was my first hunting dog and looking back I had a dog that never recieved any training did everything naturally pointing,retrieving,honoring all of it. The weekend before I lost him he pointed 2 limits of pheasants several quail and retrieved 7 ducks out of the Snake River. I still have and cherish that photo. My brother-in law to be let him out of the yard and he was killed. I was devastated and it still hurts now. A few days before Christmas my dad sent me to pick something up for him. The house I was to go to was waiting for me and I was to pick one of two GSP's pup he had left. I was not sure I was ready but one of the pups stole my heart and became my best friend and protecter for the next 13 years. The only sad thing was my dad never got to hunt with him as I lost him 8 months later.

Rudy Joly
12-05-2011, 04:23 PM
Rudy, Thanks for holding back on that Hide the pickle bit. LMAO!!

If you change your mind.....I'm ready !

My brother reminded me of this one.
When i was 8 years old I got a big box of Crayolas for Christmas, I snuck of to my room to 'color'. I'd also gotten a Rayovac lantern and discovered that a bread tye arced across the battery terminals got nice and red hot. Well one bright idea led to another and before you knew it I was slicing Crayolas into nice slices about as thick as a dime. My mother charged in the room yelling about "What's that smell !!!!!" when i was just 5 crayons away from finishing off the box. Back in those days you could still beat your kids with reckless abandon...the rest is history. I was such a good kid. LOL.

Rudy

Denny Eller
12-05-2011, 08:17 PM
Memories of Southeast Asia:

Jingle Bells, mortar shells,
VC in the grass.
You can take your Merry Christmas
and shove it up your ...

Benr.t
12-05-2011, 10:36 PM
Every year we go out and cut a christmas with my in-laws. It started out just me, my wife and her family, now we have two kiddos....it is fun watching the family grow!

Patrick
12-06-2011, 07:29 AM
I was thinking about when I started making knives. Centaur Forge has events to promote blacksmithing with a bunch of knowledgeable guys from U.M.B.A, Upper Midwest Blacksmiths Association. Well at the second event I went to I asked a guy about forging a knife blade and from that point I was hooked. I forged out a few blades out of old files, shaped them with an angle grinder and finally bought a Grizzly knife grinder. I got 3 knives together with antler handles and gave them to my son, stepson and a buddy of mine for Christmas. All three were really happy with those knives even though they were very rough. Ho Ho Ho!

Pat

UncleBillyKnives
12-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Once I was old enough to start buying gifts for my family, I always waited til the last minute. it always seemed that all I could find was pop corn poppers. So, five years straight, someone got a stir crazy pop corn popper! One sister ended up with two before I stopped

Silversage
12-06-2011, 03:09 PM
Seems like stuff always happens on holidays!! For any out there that question dogs and chocolate the Christmas eve when my GSP Buster was 1 year old he found the chocolate orange my sister placed under the tree for my mom....he proceeded to eat most of it before he was discovered. I thought that he would be okay chocolate could not be that bad. Little did I know within in 15 minutes he started to lose all control of his face muscles and was unsteady called our vet who came in and induced vomiting amound other things and got him stable. Was touch and go but he made it. So KEEP the Chocolate away from the dogs on Christmas!!

Oh Rudy still looking for where I put the pickle away:)

Winterbear
12-06-2011, 05:02 PM
Seems like a family tradition to be late, every year on Xmas eve when my side of the family opens presents we end up waiting on one family member or another. It used to be my folks and us kids in tow now it has moved to my sister. Last year she was extremely late and My grandmother who is 85 laid down the law this year no waiting she has set a time and if you are late you miss out! Her house her rules.
:)
Chris

eod13
12-06-2011, 07:03 PM
IM IN FOR TODAY!

I must've been about 9 at the time, and it was Christmas morning with presents all around the tree and there was a huge box in one corner. Now let me tell you I have 3 siblings, and the fact that there was a huge present sitting there with MY name on it just blew me away.

So it came time for opening presents, and we all took turns and went one at a time so we could enjoy everything and take it all in which to this day i still think was so much better than just ripping them all apart. And my parents told me that I couldn't open it until last (You can imagine how I felt).

To be honest with you, I don't remember what was in the box itself, but I do remember my excitement that morning.

Rudy Joly
12-06-2011, 07:28 PM
As a young kid I have many fond memories of heading out into the woods with my father to check our snare and trap lines. The same woods I played in in the summer were transformed into a different place in the snow. Everything looked different and the air had a bite to it when breathing. The object of the hunt was to get enough bunnies for Christmas dinner and then some. Although we never more than a half mile from home, I enjoyed spending time and learning from my father.

I'm in,
Rudy

Lagrange
12-06-2011, 07:54 PM
My buddiies and I all wanted the new m16's one year for christmas so we could play war games. I couldnt believe it when three of us got one. We were out in the snow playing when I ran down a hill and tried to slide behind a dirt hill and behind a tree. I put my hand down to break my fall as I was diving behind cover when I felt something pinch the side of my hand. Of course being a real soldier I kept right on playing. It wasnt until one of the other guys told me I was leaving a trail of blood that I realized that my beat red cold hand was bleading. Mom and dad took me to the emergency room and I got thirteen stitches to close the gash on my hand. But when I got home I wanted to go right back out and play. Oh to be young and invincible again.

Eric

Patrick
12-07-2011, 07:08 AM
The year my wife and I moved to Tennessee from Wisconsin we headed back to spend Christmas with my folks. As my dad and I were driving to my aunts house dad said "I was in that house when I heard about the bombing of Pearl Harbor". He never talked about WWII at all when I was growing up so this REALLY was a special moment. It was at his cousins house. He told me he was 16 and went to sign up for the marines as soon as he could. He lied about his age and did what every able bodied boy/man would do at that time. My dad turns 87 next Friday. We have a few pictures of him in the south Pacific and he was at the bloody siege at Tarawa where so many Marines lost their lives.

Today is the 70th anniversary of the bombing of Pearl Harbor. I'd like to thank all the veterans for allowing us to have Christmas the way that we do. Merry Christmas Y'all

Pat

Lagrange
12-07-2011, 07:30 AM
Christmas is fast approaching, and this year it looks as though my mom will be placed in a nursing home any day now. I cant imagine putting my mom in a home, but I can not care for her the way she needs to be cared for. This is going to be a bad memory of christmas, I pray it doesnt turn out this way but I'm afraid it will.

Eric

Archer Moon
12-07-2011, 08:54 AM
I have always been more of a loner than most. My school days were plan h#ll. I was 16. My family was hosting the Xmas party that year. 50 people in my house! I went fishing for an hour to a stocked pond. Just small planter trout. Man they were hungery! Twenty fish eat my roster tail. Fun. I did feel alot better when I came home. Some times you just need some alone time.

DonL
12-07-2011, 09:17 AM
The second (and last) Christmas me and my ex were married, I was "unemployed" and she was a waitress. Fortunately, at 20 you shouldn't have a whole lot of bills. We didn't. I cut wood and did odd jobs to make ends meet. I had a customer who wanted two ricks of wood on Christmas Eve or before. The money from this sale is what I planned on buying a gift for me ex wife (we still liked each other at that point ;) ) I finally got time to start cutting on the 22nd. It took me two days to cut and split those two ricks and I had planned on stopping by Wal-Mart on my way home to get her gift. I had $50 burning a whole in my pocket from those two ricks of wood and I knew what I was gonna get her. (this was the mid 80's) I could have sworn that Wal-Mart was open Christmas Eve. But apparently I had heard wrong, because they weren't. In fact, no store other than the convenience stores were open (all 3 of them). I was devastated and felt real bad. (how times have changed!)

The next morning before I was even out of bed, she brought me my gift. Two pairs of Wrangler denim jeans. That's all she could afford. I felt bad when I handed her the $50 cash, but she understood. We then went to our parents for the rest of the day, but I could never shake that feeling of not getting her a gift. That's probably why to this day I hate giving gift cards or cash!

DonL
12-07-2011, 09:21 AM
Christmas is fast approaching, and this year it looks as though my mom will be placed in a nursing home any day now. I cant imagine putting my mom in a home, but I can not care for her the way she needs to be cared for. This is going to be a bad memory of christmas, I pray it doesnt turn out this way but I'm afraid it will.

Eric

I'll be sayin' a prayer for you Bro. My bday is the 10th. I lost my Mom 4 years ago on the 11th and my dad last year on the 15th. I can understand how you're feeling. It's not the same without them.

Rudy Joly
12-07-2011, 04:53 PM
Grand kids are mental this time of year....
For the last two weeks, no matter which daughters house i visit, the kids hold me captive and make me look at catalogs and flyers with them. They proceed to tell me all the stuff they're going to get from Santa. Dream on kid, I'm always thinking. lol. My six year old grandson, a quiet kid, handed me an envelope and when I opened it, it had cut out pictures from flyers and catalogs. Real civilized I thought, no yelling and screaming from him. I think he's got the best shot at a big haul this year. lol. And no...I don't play favorites. With 8 grand kids it's a chore in itself just to remember their names.

I'm in.
Rudy

Silversage
12-07-2011, 10:48 PM
Eric I will be thinking of you and your mom, We are going through the exact same thing right now only we are here in Idah and my wifes mother is in Canada so I understand. May be a tough Christmas this year.

Jay

Lagrange
12-08-2011, 04:00 AM
In my house I am the designated photographer on christmas morning. I have so many pictures of the kids opening presents that it would be impossible for a human being to look at them all in one sitting. My favorite picture is the one of my kids gathered around their mom while she opens the gift they got for her.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I think today is the day she will be admitted to the altzimers ward at the nursing home. She is currently in the hospital. I dread this.

Eric

Patrick
12-08-2011, 07:57 AM
One thing that was always hard on the family was having to work the holidays. It is really hard to try and explain that Santa can't make it for a couple more days when all their friends are doing the Christmas day thing. I'm sure there's a lot of other dogs out there that do the same. I get lucky this year and only have to go in for an hour because Christmas is on the weekend. Although it's just my wife and I on the 25th, we'll have our grandson over christmas eve. It just ain't christmas without young'ns.

Eric my wifes favorite cousin just put her mom in a home Monday because of her alzhiemers. They told her not to come around for a week so she would start to depend on the caretakers. She is beside herself because she feels like she's abandoning her mom even though she is doing what is completely necessary. My mother took care of my grandmother(dads mom) for 5 years with total alzhiemers. Ruth could not tell the difference between male/female and didn't even know who my dad was. The best to you Eric, don't be too hard on yourself.

Pat

So Randy and Junior, are you enjoying the trip(and fall) down memory lane? After talking with my best friend I was informed of a few Christmas's forgotten, it was better that way...not knowing. Thanks guys. BTW How many more stories... I mean days are left?

turkeyshooter
12-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Twas the night before Christmas in DC this night, not a politician was scheming, something ain't right, the stockings were hung by the chimney with care, in hopes a New President, soon would be there! Count me in, Keep Christ in Christmas!

Just waking up is a blessing anymore! Did 8 seconds flat lined while hooked up to the heart monitor two yrs ago. To see all my grandchildren the past two Christmas's & just enjoy the look on their faces when they open their presents has been great, but to know their names are written in the Lamb's book of life is the best a grandpa can hope for!

listerp
12-08-2011, 03:08 PM
Does anyone remember the barrel killer from several years ago in Kansas? You know the guy that killed several women and stuffed them in barrels? Anyway he also played Santa from time to time, and yes my kids sat on his lap! How's that for a Christmas memory?

Count me in!

Professor NK
12-08-2011, 07:02 PM
one of my favorite christmas gifts, as well as the thing i'v owned longest, is a gizmo stuffed animal from gremlins i got when i was around 5. i remember opening it and yelling "GIZMOOOOOOO!" i even refused to let my grandma wash him when i was little because i was afraid he'd multiply like in the movie haha. thanks for the chance to win!

Silversage
12-08-2011, 11:10 PM
I have to think one of my favorite toys I recieved was a metal robot with flashing lights for eyes:) Don't make them like that anymore!

Lagrange
12-09-2011, 04:14 AM
Do any of you remember getting the Sears Christmas catalog in the mail? That thing was like gold. I did my best to wear that thing out every year. This was back in the days when we only had three channels on the tv, and I was the remote control. Christmas was special then.
I bought my son the guitar he has been wanting. He has a room full of guitars, but this one he has been wanting for a long time. I cant wait for christmas day because my gift from him will be listening to him play. To me there is nothing quite as relaxing as listening to the sound of a single accustical guitar...especially when it's being played by someone you love.

Eric

Patrick
12-09-2011, 06:05 AM
In '79 I was a senior. There was this beautiful sophomore that I would drive to school. I can remember Sandy waking me up to get us to school on time. Well on Christmas Sandy and her boyfriend hooked up the exhaust to enter the van and these two young lovers took their lives. The messed up reasoning was that her dad was the biggest jerk, slapped her around and hated the boyfriend. To this day I take a moment every christmas to remember this wonderful girl. I didn't want to put a sad story here but I totally believe the sadder you can become, the happier you can be.

Christmas to me is about cherishing those you love.

Pat

TASelf
12-09-2011, 11:49 AM
Fond memory at 8 years old of the first year in a new house that I really "grew up" in. My Step-Dad was great and LOVED Christmas. We always had live trees and I remember having to cut over a foot off the tree that first year to fit it in the room. We probably had 12 foot ceilings in the Christmas room. Wonderful times growing up. :-)

eod13
12-09-2011, 12:16 PM
I'm in again for today.

I was 6 years old and I sick at home on Christmas day and so was my brother, what could be worse right? Traditionally we always go out to my grandmother's house and that's the meeting place for all the family members. We didn't go out that year but it was a very memorable Christmas...
I know that everyone here has seen "A Christmas Story" and has had the urge for one of those Red Ryder BB guns, and I'll tell you ahead of time I was too little for one and my parents didnt get me one BUT I got a cap gun for Christmas that looked just like one, and I laid on the couch all day watching Cowboy movies and shoot-em-up shows and firing that thing off all day. It was a blast. :biggrin:

Rudy Joly
12-09-2011, 02:35 PM
For years, up to the time I moved out, my mother's younger brother would show up for Christmas. You'd never see the guy all year but at Christmas he'd magically show up. He had a real wanderlust and sent post cards to my mother from where ever he was. He always showed up with a new girlfreind and that's what caught my attention as a teenager, there wasn't a mutt in the bunch. Anyway, upon his arrival my mother always broke down and cried and hugged him hard and long out of shear joy of seeing him. With my uncles visits I saw joy in my mother that I never saw at any other time of the year. Sincere joy like that could never come from any package and I'm glad he brought it to her.

I'm in,
Rudy

Denny Eller
12-09-2011, 02:41 PM
When I was a kid we didn't have much money but Mom always saved a $1.00 a week in a Christmas Club at the local Bank to make sure my sister and I had a lot of nice gifts. But Mom never had any. The first year I was old enough to earn my own money mowing lawns, raking leaves and shoveling sidewalks I bought Mom a half dozen gifts and hid them under my bed. When the folks went to bed Christmas Eve I snuck the gifts out and put them under the tree. I will never forget the look on my Mother's face Christmas morning or the tears in her eyes.

Ausbrooks
12-09-2011, 07:40 PM
I understand the mentality of people who have convinced themselves that they have been visited by aliens because when I was 7 my brother and I convinced ourselves that we "heard" Santa Claus landing on the roof Christmas eve night and described in detail, to our thrilled and joyously condensending parents, the sound of reindeer hooves going across the shake shingles of our CA bay area house. Ah, to be young and vulnerable to mass histeria again....

Silversage
12-09-2011, 08:54 PM
Twas the night before Christmas and all through the shop not a forge was fired not even Randy Jr's.........

Archer Moon
12-09-2011, 11:43 PM
As a craftsman I do not sell many peices. I feel insulted when I get an offer that is $50 for a box or a knife that I spent 60 plus hours on. I get much more from those projects just giving them away. I gave my wife's greatgrandma a recipe box one year and see cryed for an hour! She kept that box next to her all through dinner. Would not let anyone touch it. That was great. I did put one clause on the box. She had to fill it with all the old family recipes and pass it to my little girl.

Bruce Bump
12-09-2011, 11:47 PM
This thread has brought a tear to my eye. I remember many Christmas's. I got my first BB gun one year when I was 8 and my first .22 when I was 12. Both Christmas's were so memorable. The one I remember most though is when Kaye and I first got married and were so broke we couldnt afford to buy each other a nice gift but I got her a jewelry box that I had to repair first and she got me a stocking hat. About all we had back then was each other. She still has that jewelry box. My dog chewed up my stocking hat.

Patrick
12-10-2011, 06:43 AM
Well guys looks like this is the last story today for all of us. It has been great sharing our Christmas' Past.

The Christmas Present is living in the greatest country on earth and being able to share our personal thought and feelings with like minded individuals.

The Christmas Future is all about protecting those freedoms which allow us to have individual ideals and traditions.

You KnifeDogs are by far the best dang group of folks I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. I'd give my last bone to a dog that neded it more than me. It truly is a gift to me.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Thanks Randy And Junior for putting this thread up. I feel I have won whether I'm picked or not. Pick me Pick me.
Happy Holidays To All You KnifeDogs! Have a Wonderful New Year With Lots of Blessings. From Our DogHouse To Yours.

Patrick Burns
ArcadiaKnives
1151 Natural Bridge Road
Waynesbor TN 38485
931-332-5684

Archer Moon
12-10-2011, 09:11 AM
I could not have said that better Patrick. I would like to add to that by saying our kids and grandkids hold the future in there hands. Too many tradition are being lost. Let us try to keep our kids involed.

Thanks to Randy and Junior!

ironarmknives
12-10-2011, 09:42 AM
10-4 that Archer Moon , I'll be Fishing off the rocks at the beach Xmas Morning ,the wife takes Darci and goes east for Xmas she's got lots of family there its good for Darci to keep in touch , so for xmas night i'll be having a nice sheepshead,or link Cod for dinner.
Oya I'm in

eod13
12-10-2011, 10:30 AM
I'm in again for today!

One great Christmas tradition that I have no idea where it came from is having my Jewish neighbors come over for Chinese food on Christmas Eve for dinner. Yeah I know it's different, but it happens every year :)

Rudy Joly
12-10-2011, 01:05 PM
This being my last post in this GAW...
Picture a happy little tyke just barely into wearing 'big boy pants' coming home and dicovering he's won an HHH reverb billet through the kindness of an other forum member....and in the Christmas season. Yeah the happy tyke is me and I'm not so little at 56 years old.....but it got me thinking how Tracy has laid the foundation for a real freindly/family atmosphere. Since the begining it's been comfortable here and softened me up a bit. Just a few years prior I wouldn't even have cared about participating beyond looking at the pictures. I'd like to think I've made a few freinds here and contributed to best of my knowledge and ability. Point is, everyone here makes this family what it is and it's all looking good from here. Thank you all for your contributions.

So from a happy little tyke....

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL !!!!

Thanks Randy for starting a possible Christmas tradition and for your generosity.

Rudy

Gahagan
12-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Well I simply want to wish everyone a Merry Christamas. This being my secound Christmas being unemployed. All I ask for for Christamas is Job.

Silversage
12-10-2011, 02:26 PM
I want to thank everybody for the Christmas memories and THANKS Randy!! Merry Christmas to all and good luck!!!

UncleBillyKnives
12-10-2011, 02:44 PM
One of my favorites is the big breakfast we have after opening gifts. Sausage gravy and biscuits, eggs, hash browns, bacon and toast! Yum!

HHH Knives
12-10-2011, 04:55 PM
The time has come. Im gona go to Random Number Generator and let it pic the winner! But the truth is, I think you are all winners. We really enjoyed reading the posts and want to wish you all a VERY merry Christmas! The story's and memory's you guys shared were great!!!!!! I wanted to pipe in and talk a bunch of times!! But refrained!

Ill be right back with the winning number!

HHH Knives
12-10-2011, 04:58 PM
Random Number Generator / PickerClick “Get random!” to pick a random number between 1 and whatever you enter in the field below, inclusive. This generates a pseudo-random number (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_number_generator#.22True.22_random_numbers_ vs._pseudorandom_numbers) using JavaScript (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JavaScript)'s Math functions.
If you prefer, you can still use the original Random Number Picker (http://andrew.hedges.name/experiments/random/original.html).
NEW! Now, you can also pick one item out of a list (http://andrew.hedges.name/experiments/random/pickone.html)!
Enter a number:I want a number between 1 and…149
Result:21
Random number code based on JavaScript documentation (https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Core_JavaScript_1.5_Reference/Global_Objects/Math/random) on the Mozilla Developer Center.
Was this page useful to you?

HHH Knives
12-10-2011, 05:00 PM
Post number 21 Mr. http://knifedogs.com/image.php?u=75&dateline=1290700945 (http://knifedogs.com/member.php?75-Sean-Cochran)Sean Cochran (http://knifedogs.com/member.php?75-Sean-Cochran) Congrats Sean. And Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night! I couldnt hlp myself! LOL :D
http://knifedogs.com/images/statusicon/user-offline.pngGuard Dog

Archer Moon
12-10-2011, 06:53 PM
It has been fun. Thanks Randy!

Silversage
12-10-2011, 11:17 PM
Congrats Sean and enjoy:)

Darrin Sanders
12-11-2011, 12:39 AM
Congradulations Sean. Thanks again Randy.

Denny Eller
12-11-2011, 08:52 AM
Congratulations Sean!

Patrick
12-11-2011, 09:45 AM
Congrats Sean you lucky dog. Merry Christmas Every One.

Pat

Sean Cochran
12-11-2011, 10:19 AM
WOW!
Thanks Randy!! What a great guy! I never expected to win, I had a good time going through alot of memories that I wouldnt not have taken the time to do otherwise. And I had fun reading others' memories.

May God bless all you Dogs. Merry Christmas!!

Sean

Lagrange
12-11-2011, 06:18 PM
Congrats Sean, and thank you Randy!

Eric

DonL
12-12-2011, 09:42 AM
Congrats Sean! Just remember, take some pics for us. Rand, thanks again for doing this, it was fun!!

HHH Knives
12-12-2011, 09:56 AM
Guys, I cant tell you how much we enjoyed this thread. God Bless you Dog's and a Merry Christmas to you all!

Sean, The Christmas package is on its way to ya! Please post some pics if you want to! :) We would all enjoy seeing what you make!
Randy

Bruce Bump
12-12-2011, 10:46 AM
Congrats Sean!
Yes thanks both Randys for the memories. Merry Christmas to all you fine dogs.

Rudy Joly
12-12-2011, 05:24 PM
Congrats and Merry Christmas Sean.

Thanks again to the Randii too.

Merry Christmas,
Rudy

Sean Cochran
12-12-2011, 08:55 PM
Guys, I cant tell you how much we enjoyed this thread. God Bless you Dog's and a Merry Christmas to you all!

Sean, The Christmas package is on its way to ya! Please post some pics if you want to! :) We would all enjoy seeing what you make!
Randy

Thanks so much Randy(s)!!

After talking to you I had an idea....how about paying it forward?? The knife I make from these materials will be given away here on KD!!

Stay tuned....Ill post some pics of the materials when they arrive.

Sean

HHH Knives
12-12-2011, 09:32 PM
Sean, Thats AWESOME!! Im glad I sent some of my BEST stuff! God Bless YA brotha.. I cant wait to see what you make!

joshwills
12-19-2011, 10:00 AM
My step father gave me a red rider bb gun for christmas one year when I was a boy. It was just like the movie last present hidden under the tree. The only thing was I was alittle bad that year and didn't get any bb's .he thought it was so funny. I didn't!