PDA

View Full Version : Updates - Hometown Hero Build

Bill T
11-08-2011, 09:06 PM
It's almost time to start .. so I'm gonna give all I got right now ...

As you should know , Randy won the Design phase , no small task as the designs were great ..

Aldo is now waiting for the blanks to come from the WaterJet .. they will then be sent to me to dole out to our makers .

I will contact you all before the weekend is out just to be sure we're all still on board .. Makers as well as Suppliers ..
After that I'll tweak the plan we used last time to suit this Build better , then post it ..

If you want to go out and get us a name , please do .. If you have someone in mind for a knife , please let me know , it doesn't have to be a recruit , just someone you know ... I'll start a thread with the names ..
I have 12 names so far .. some are back in as soon as 2 weeks , others don't leave till next year . That gives us a very wide time frame , which is good as we all work at different speeds .. It also lets guys come on board at a later time ...

We're going to have 3 raffles to help cover shipping costs , 1 by Keith Willis , 1 by Randy HHH and a collaboration by myself , Denny and Rudy ..

We're almost ready to go Dogs .. Thanks to all who are participating and helping us out ..

James Terrio
11-14-2011, 04:34 PM
Hey Bill, sorry I've been out of the loop lately. Nothing personal, just busy :)

Anyway I got your pm and yes I'm on board, ready to grind and build one of Randy's blanks. Who do I need to send my address to?

Bill T
11-14-2011, 04:42 PM
Thank you James . Please send your address to me .

All builders , please send your address to me , unless you were in the last Build . I still have those addresses .

Rudy Joly
11-14-2011, 05:17 PM
OOOOOOOOOH !
I'm about to pee my pants. I'm ready.

Rudy

HHH Knives
11-14-2011, 05:22 PM
LMAO!! Rudy your to much!! Thats too funny,thanks for the laugh!!!

Now lets make some knives!!!!!

Rudy Joly
11-14-2011, 05:27 PM
Thanks Randy,
There's always room for levity. (Should of seen me before I quit drinking).
Yes....lets make.

Rudy

James Terrio
11-14-2011, 07:08 PM
Well I think I can manage not to wet myself, but I'm getting excited, too :D

PM sent, Bill.

Bill T
11-21-2011, 06:15 PM
I just received 50 sets of brown canvas micarta , 25 stainless and 25 brass Corbys from Tracy . Thank you Sir !! Once I hear from Aldo , it's on !!!

Justin King
11-22-2011, 08:38 AM
I just received 50 sets of brown canvas micarta , 25 stainless and 25 brass Corbys from Tracy . Thank you Sir !! Once I hear from Aldo , it's on !!!

I want to holler a thanks at Aldo and Tracy for gettin' involved (again)...Do we have Dave at GLWJ to thank also? Who is cutting the blanks? And let's not forget Bill, who did so much behind the scenes on the last build. You guys should be proud.

Rudy Joly
11-22-2011, 05:03 PM
Cudos to Aldo and Tracy for their commitment.
As for Bill.......
He's really committed or maybe should be committed. Thanks Bill.:biggrin:

Let's get it on !

Rudy

Aldo
11-22-2011, 06:26 PM
Good news gents. The blades are in the mail! I should have them here on Monday. It's a 55 pound box! Hope you guys are ready for a little grinding! Maybe I should call Bill and let him know.

Sean Cochran
11-22-2011, 08:45 PM
Sweet!
BTW maybe I missed it somewhere, are these 52100?

Aldo
11-23-2011, 03:52 PM
YUP! I spoke to Brad at Peter's Heat Treat. He said he would do them up special. They're going to be very tough little knives.

Sean Cochran
11-24-2011, 06:52 PM
Cool! Cant wait to make some sparks!

HHH Knives
11-24-2011, 07:18 PM
Good news gents. The blades are in the mail! I should have them here on Monday. It's a 55 pound box! Hope you guys are ready for a little grinding! Maybe I should call Bill and let him know.

Awesome. Thanks Aldo!

Bill T
11-26-2011, 08:42 PM
I've updated the info you guys have provided for me in the Hometown Hero Build - Makers Recruiting Drive thread . Please check it . We have a few name changes and additions , all in all , it looks good . If I've made any mistakes and put you down for something you're not doing or something you are .. please PM me ASAP .
Thanks , Bill

Curtiss Knives
11-27-2011, 08:43 AM
I want to holler a thanks at Aldo and Tracy for gettin' involved (again)...Do we have Dave at GLWJ to thank also? Who is cutting the blanks? And let's not forget Bill, who did so much behind the scenes on the last build. You guys should be proud.

No Justin, I wasn't asked this time.

HHH Knives
11-27-2011, 09:01 AM
Thats a kick in the shorts ah Dave? If ya want, You can cut me a couple dozen of them!! Im gona be making and giving them away for years to come!! :)

Justin King
12-04-2011, 01:42 PM
I am grateful for your work on the last build, Dave. You earned my business at any rate, I will probably be in touch soon.

James Terrio
12-17-2011, 02:17 PM
Where we at, gentlemen?

Bill T
12-17-2011, 04:58 PM
Actually , I just received the blanks from Aldo a couple of days ago .
All looks good , but I'm going to wait to ship till after Xmas . Working at the P.O. , I can tell you I'm swamped .
I'll post a Plan about everything before I ship though .
If anyone has to have your stuff now , just PM me and make sure I have your address . I'll get it out to you ASAP and do the book keeping later .
Thanks , Bill

James Terrio
12-18-2011, 02:47 AM
Sounds like a plan!

Justin King
12-20-2011, 08:13 AM
I have been silent but am keeping an eye on this. I know it's probably hard to toss numbers out at this point but if you can ballpark how many names/recipients I should be looking for at the recruiter's office, that would help. I have dropped in once just to establish contact and plant the idea but I am waiting to go back until I can show then a blade blank and have an idea how many knives I am trying to find Marines for (does that sound wierd or is it just me:) )
This is a fairly small town so I'm not sure how many recipients I can find, but I will do best I can for the makers who don't have the opportunity to find their own.

Bill T
12-21-2011, 09:03 PM
As far as names go I have aroung 20 right now . With more every week .
I know Max has 5 names . Randy has 1 , Uncle Billy has 1 and Patrick has 1 .
I think there was 1 or 2 more that had a name , but I can't remember offhand , I'll have to check the PM's I have .

If anyone has someone in mind for a knife please let us know . Or if you can take some time and visit any recuiting office - Army or Marine , please do so , you won't regret it .

Thanks , Bill

LR Harner
12-26-2011, 09:53 AM
in my home town you cant toss a stone withought hitting a service member

bill let me know when im due for the helping hand like we talkked about at the MD show

Bill T
12-28-2011, 09:01 PM
Thank you Butch , I'll be in touch soon ....

Bill T
12-28-2011, 10:32 PM
Well , I'm getting things ready to ship this weekend :biggrin: , I should have it in the mail on 1/3/12 .

Please check the 1st post in the Makers Recruiting drive thread , were I've tried to post accurately all the info I have ...
Let me know if there need to be any changes made to anything I've put you down for ...

There are a couple of you with ? question marks ? in the tally . Please PM me so I can make them go away ...:what!:

Something to remember -- the time frame for completion of your indivdual build is up to you . I will work something out with Brad at Peter's Heat Treating , so that those who get to theirs quickly will not wait long ..
That gives those with multiple blades , or those who need to get an order or 2 out beforehand or those who may experience any of lifes left hooks , plenty of time to get in/out/back in should they need too .. Whatever happens don't sweat it .

I'll be double checking that I have your addresses in the next day or so .. Thank you again , one and all . Bill

p.s. Still have a few blades without a maker ..

James Terrio
12-31-2011, 12:02 PM
Bill, I do not have any recipients' names, nor time to find them. I am not set up to do kydex*. I will grind and assemble as many knives as you need, please don't let any "extra" blanks languish. Send them to me and I will take care of them. I do have plenty handle material, bolts etc.

*anyone that is willing to help with kydex sheaths for however many knives I'm privileged to make, please contact me! I will be happy to trade materials, labor or cash for your contribution!

Sean Cochran
12-31-2011, 02:09 PM
I can take a couple of extra blades as well, but I would have to get someone else to make the sheaths.

Justin King
12-31-2011, 05:09 PM
I can do a few extra sheaths for the guys who aren't set up to do them, when the time comes.

Mike Carter
02-20-2012, 03:47 PM
I have 5 knives nearly finished. I have kydex but I am not very experienced with it. What kind of belt loop or attachment do these need? Photos would be helpful.

Ausbrooks
02-20-2012, 08:39 PM
I asked the same question and the answer was that most military guys want the small Tek-Lok. Tracy sells them for 10$ and change with hardware. He also has a Kydex tutorial that shows assembly. I don't have pics as I haven't done it yet either so maybe somebody can show some.

Bill T
02-20-2012, 10:05 PM
I've been making a belt loop out of kydex. I just fold a piece of kydex over a piece of wood 1/4" x 2" ,leaving at least a 1" overlap with both ends. Then I mount it with Chicago screws. Costs about a dollar.

murphda2
02-20-2012, 11:36 PM
For what it is worth, I would highly recommend following Bill's lead on this. If you do opt to buy a Tek-Lok for your sheath, please buy the Large model. A Small Tek-Lok will not fit any of our uniform nor gear belts as they are designed to only accomodate up to a 1.5" belt. Current military belts are 1.75-2".

James Terrio
02-21-2012, 12:40 AM
Thanks for the questions and answers, everyone! These knives won't do much good if the folks who need 'em, can't carry them.

Ausbrooks
02-21-2012, 10:11 PM
Thanks for that detail on the Tek-Lok Murph...I had a 50% chance of being right....

Mike Carter
02-22-2012, 04:02 PM
My 5 are almost done. I just need to sharpen them and make the sheaths. I decided to mix them up a bit. The first two are the supplied handle materials and cold blue. The third one has a mustard patina. The fourth one has a black Gun Coat coating and plastic/nylon cammo handle. Number four is a brushed finish with black Micarta.

franklin
02-23-2012, 09:22 AM
well mine is done just waiting to get back from K-Robinson who donated my sheath you guys got to see it makes my
knife look 10 x better lol. No really i was blown away that he would donate this and would love every one to take a look at his stuff.

His prices were very good IMHO. well here is the knife and sheath. Just need to sharpen when it arrives and ship back out.

hardware specs : heat treated with a clay differential hardening ( hamon)
dark acid etch
black torx screws(3)
and a carbon fiber thong tube

BRad704
02-23-2012, 10:18 AM
Guys, these are looking GREAT!!!!

I have been on hiatus from the knife shop since Christmas, but just got back in there yesterday. Got this blade cleaned up and one side ground. I'm now really debating doing a chisel grind, just for something a little different. Not to copy someone else's idea, but I've started using a chisel grind more often and I like it.

I'll be working hot and heavy to get it done as soon as I can.

Bill T
02-23-2012, 11:03 AM
You guys are Awesome...

Steven Janik
02-23-2012, 11:34 AM
Hey Bill T.
Jim Coffee hooked up with some 101st Airborne that are being deployed.
OK with you to distribute our knives to them???

Steve

Bill T
02-23-2012, 11:51 AM
Oh yeah...Airborne !

Denny Eller
02-23-2012, 08:43 PM
Hey, Franklin or Kevin! Great job on the knife and sheath! What do you use for attaching the sheath? Pics would be terrific!

franklin
02-23-2012, 09:02 PM
Sorry denny the sheath is all k-robinson, He posted a pic in sheath area you could ask on this one there is a tec lok.
I should have it in hand sone so i can take more pics then, thanks for the comments.

HHH Knives
02-23-2012, 09:05 PM
This is awesome. I cant help but feel proud with seeing all these awesome knives and the craftsmanship and love that you guys put into them. Its just too cool! Now that some of you have made the knife.. What do you think of the design, overall.. functionality etc. Im curious to know if now that you have a finished knife in hand.. Darn good good work on these guys!!

God Bless and Protect our troops..

HHH Knives
02-23-2012, 09:08 PM
That sheath he whooped up for your knife Larry is SICK! I have been watching his work since he joined KD.. I have been super impressed by his designs and ability to take what I have always considered plain and even boring.. and make it EXTRAORDINARY!!!!!!!

Mike Carter
02-23-2012, 09:32 PM
This is awesome. I cant help but feel proud with seeing all these awesome knives and the craftsmanship and love that you guys put into them. Its just too cool! Now that some of you have made the knife.. What do you think of the design, overall.. functionality etc. Im curious to know if now that you have a finished knife in hand.. Darn good good work on these guys!!

God Bless and Protect our troops..

Overall I like the design a lot. All of the grooves in the grip are a bit of a pain to work around and keep cleaned out but other than that I think it is a great knife.

franklin
02-24-2012, 05:49 AM
Thanks Randy,
You now i love your stuff, only thing i would do differently is less cutout in handle. I liked the ideal of thong tube
but wanted 3 bolts/ screws in this puppy, so i just added the exstra hole.
But me and you have talked i like a heavy handle and thats just me, your design rocks, felt good in hand, and not over bulky.
Would love to see one with a skull crusher what you think?
K-Rob sheath is out standing and his prices i thought were really fair for the outstanding work he puts out.

Bill T
03-12-2012, 02:13 PM
I got 2 beautiful knives from Paul Ausbrooks, gonna deliver tomorrow or next.

Anyone else have them done and ready for delivery? I got guys waiting....

Bill T
03-17-2012, 10:39 AM
Haven't heard from many of you builders in quite some time.
Any way you can PM me with your personal timeframes...?
Thanks.

James Terrio
03-19-2012, 05:54 PM
Bill, mine are ground and ready for HT. I will be sending them in to Peters', along with my usual batch of misfits, in a week or two. (I like to send as many as possible at once, usually, for various reasons.) Anyway, this puts my lead-time at 60-days or so, including having Kydex pants made for them.

If you have people who need the knives sooner, I will happily send them in right away. Just let me know. Thanks again to all involved!!

UncleBillyKnives
03-19-2012, 06:41 PM
I got mine back from HT Friday and hope to start the final grinding soon. I want to have then done in 2-3 weeks.

Mike Carter
03-29-2012, 05:23 PM
I shipped my knives today. Thanks for the opportunity to participate in a great project.

franklin
03-30-2012, 12:44 PM
shipped mine to Marvin yesterday Bill.
This was a lot of fun let me now if we do this again.

UncleBillyKnives
04-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Ready to sand blast tomorrow at work and stonewash tomorrow night. What a cool project! Thanks for letting me in!

BRad704
04-03-2012, 08:33 AM
Mine is with Brad at Peter's right now... I'm watching the mail everyday for it to come back! :D

UncleBillyKnives
04-11-2012, 11:00 AM
My Knives are done, but I can't find my eyelets for the Kydex sheath, so i ordered more from Boss last night. All I have to do is finish the sheath and sharpen them up. I should have these completed and out in a few days.

LR Harner
04-17-2012, 07:56 AM
things are a bit crazy here but i have not forgotten

franklin
04-18-2012, 08:31 PM
great job uncle billy those rock

UncleBillyKnives
04-18-2012, 08:53 PM
great job uncle billy those rock

Thanks franklin, What is the next step? Do i send them to Bill T now?

BRad704
04-19-2012, 08:21 AM
I just finished mine up last night.

Not sure what's up with my cameras lately, but the kydex isn't nearly that textured-looking in real life...

I put both extra spacers on the non-teklok side, because I didn't want to leave any hardware out as a just-in-case. Y'all think I should just trim down the chicago screws and leave the spacers off? or leave it as-is?

franklin
04-22-2012, 07:18 AM
They look good to me, shoot the whole package looks really nice brad.

Rudy Joly
04-25-2012, 08:59 AM
For your viewing pleasure.
I'll be depositing these into Bill's grubby little mitts this weekend at our NCCA extravaganza show in Conn. Each one got a little different treatment on the finish. Top got a mustard etch to get a 'hamon' and then top coated with vinegar. Both edges are sharpened. Second is a plain vinegar etch. Bottom got cold blue with with a lot of rubbing between coats (3) with light oil, this helps even out the finish and eliminate the blotchy look. Even though the handles are only 220 grit, the look changed completely when I waxed the entire knives to help protect them from all the racooning they're likely to get from Bill. The kydex was bent in one piece like a normal leather sheath after I formed the belt loop. I hope they perform admirably for their recipients.

As usual....please ignore the wax I never see untill the pics are done.

Rudy

Ausbrooks
04-25-2012, 07:19 PM
Nice work Rudy! Like the top one with the double bevel- very attractive and should really slice up bad guys.

Denny Eller
04-30-2012, 06:15 PM
Fine looking workmanship, there, Mr. J. I like the 1st, 2cnd and 3rd ones the best.

Bill T
05-01-2012, 04:57 AM
Gentlemen, I apologize, but some things have come up that are going to make me have to step away for a while.

Please contact Steve Janik if you have a knife ready for dispersal or need some assistance with any other aspect of the Build.

I wish you all the best.

Bill

Josh Dabney
05-01-2012, 05:43 AM
Sorry to hear this Bill ! Don't for get about your support group... we're here if ya need us buddy.

Just want to say what a GREAT job all have done with this build !!!!! The knives are all fantastic :35:

Brad, My apologies for missing your post. I think it's fine to leave the washers as-is. FWIW I think you've got the TecLoc upside down for standard belt carry. I played with mine ALOT and found the easiest way to mount and un-mount was with the lock on the top. Just MHO so take it FWIW which is not much, LOL :3:

I forgot to update on my own knives. One was shipped and recieved a long time ago. I'm holding the other until September when Chelsey completes her training and will deliver it then.

Great build fellas !!! -Josh

LR Harner
05-01-2012, 07:30 AM
progress is being made i ground it out last night woohoo

BRad704
05-01-2012, 08:32 AM
Thanks Josh, I haven't gotten to mail it back out yet, so there's still time to change it. And the great thing about tekloks... Ya just flip-em over and you're done. :)

Steven Janik
05-01-2012, 09:44 AM
Dear Dogs,
Bill T has decided to take a much needed vacation from KnifeDogs for a while.
Through a PM he has asked me to continue this Hometown Hero build and disperse the knives as I see fit. After a conversation with Boss Dog this morning we feel it would be best if the knives are sent directly to USA Knifemakers Supply.
The mailing address is just a click away at the top of the forum. We will handle the final packaging and postage from there.
If you build a knife and have a candidate for it, please feel free to pass it on yourself and just post up what you did with it.

As always, you can contact me at anytime with questions.

Good luck to you, Bill.
We'll see you at BLADE.

Steve

BossDog
05-01-2012, 09:21 PM
Thanks to Bill for doing a lot of the heavy lifting on this worthwhile project.

We will take it from here. When you have your build done, send it to us and we will find a great home for it with active duty, deployed military personnel.

D.Douglas
07-13-2012, 09:00 AM
Well i finally completed the knife for the military build. Here is the recipient also. This is my cousin PFC Clay R. Fleming. 1-187 Delta co. 3 BCT 101ST Fort Campbell. He will be heading out for a 13 month tour in Afghanistan around Aug 15th. He was very excited to receive the knife. He and I wanted to thank everybody involved with this project and all who donated material and time. Clays mother is a civilian over there working for a contractor. She just a had a car bomber drive through the fences at her base killing one person and pretty much destroying most of the buildings. Pretty scary stuff! I had to switch out the handle material as i had a little boo boo. This is some coffee bag burlap micarta i have been wanting to try out. Pretty much a full flat grind with the edge being convex.
http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p451/engraver64/001-2.jpg
http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p451/engraver64/IMG_0038.jpg
http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p451/engraver64/IMG_0041.jpg

Josh Dabney
07-13-2012, 09:23 AM
GREAT job Doug !!!

Way to follow through buddy. Glad to see knives still trickling out of this build for our brave men and women in uniform !

Love the burlap too... good choice

-Josh

franklin
07-14-2012, 07:13 AM
Way to go D. that looks really good,and the pearson holding it looks super happy.
Tell him luck and stay out of harms way down range!!!

HHH Knives
07-14-2012, 12:12 PM
Doug, It was good chatting with you yesterday. The knife looks great, and its nice to see it going to a family member..

God Bless him and keep him safe!
Randy

D.Douglas
07-16-2012, 07:06 PM
Hey Thanks guys. It was a real fine experiance.

Jim Coffee
08-02-2012, 07:15 PM
Here is my knife build. It also is going to a soldier at Ft. Cambell. srgt Jason Francis and he will be deployed around August. Jason is the brother of a really good customer of mine and this will be his 3rd tour in afganistan and said he will send pictures of the knife being used down range. Hey Doug, wonder if our two soldiers know each other?.

The knife
Black and tan canvas micarta scales
stainless corby bolts
mustard and acid etched blade

still need to make the sheath but should ship it to Jason on monday.

Thanks to all suppliers and builders involved with this. Great job guy's

D.Douglas
08-02-2012, 08:09 PM
Maybe Jim! Janik tried to get me to try that mustard finish but i just didnt have the time. Great looking build.

Jim Coffee
08-02-2012, 08:40 PM
Thanks Doug, I didnt like the way the mustard finish turned out so I etched over top of it a couple times and I'm happy with it now.

HHH Knives
08-17-2012, 12:16 PM
Well guys, This one is heading to the sand box on the 28th of this month. Its going to a local boy who is on his second tour. God Bless him and keep him safe!

I just finished up the sheath. and also wanted to say Thanks to my buddy Mike who helped me out on these doing the grind and attaching the handles for me. I than did final shaping and patina and made the sheath.

In total I received 3 knife blades, and this one and one more have been completed and given to Soldiers. The third is almost done and as soon as I find a home for it, I will finish it out and send it off as well. Thanks KD and all who contributed and helped out, Im honored to be part of a community of makers and people who still care and put there time and money where there mouth is! Making a difference one knife at a time!!

God Bless our troops!
Randy

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g428/HHHKnives/HHH%20Knives/KnifeDOgsMilitaryBuild006800x533.jpghttp://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g428/HHHKnives/HHH%20Knives/KnifeDOgsMilitaryBuild004800x533.jpghttp://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g428/HHHKnives/HHH%20Knives/KnifeDOgsMilitaryBuild010800x533.jpghttp://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g428/HHHKnives/HHH%20Knives/KnifeDOgsMilitaryBuild013800x533.jpghttp://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g428/HHHKnives/HHH%20Knives/KnifeDOgsMilitaryBuild014800x533.jpghttp://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g428/HHHKnives/HHH%20Knives/KnifeDOgsMilitaryBuild002800x533.jpg

Lagrange
09-20-2012, 02:49 AM
Finally finished this knife for our soldiers. I had some trouble with the original blade so I made another out of the same material.
I need information on who to send it to....any help would be appreciated.

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa441/Eric_Troyer/IMG_1154_zps463d8959.jpg

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa441/Eric_Troyer/IMG_1156_zps2bebdd12.jpg

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa441/Eric_Troyer/IMG_1153_zpsbec992af.jpg

HHH Knives
11-15-2012, 07:58 PM
That looks cool Eric! Did you figure out where to send the blade? If not shoot Boss a message. I think hes taking them and making sure they end up in the right hands!

BRad704
11-15-2012, 10:18 PM
Looks good! I'm digging the weathered blade finish for sure!

I sent mine back to Boss and got an email about a month later, that they had found a soldier to receive the knife.

murphda2
11-15-2012, 11:37 PM
Eric, please ship your knife to Boss. He'll ensure it finds its way to a worthy warrior.