PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy ferric chloride

Toole
10-26-2011, 06:05 PM
Hi Guys
Can anyone tell me where to buy ferric chloride and please don't say Radio Shack. And while we are at it how do I bring back the pattern in damascus after it has been polished?
Thanks Toole

Rudy Joly
10-26-2011, 06:19 PM
OK....
In another post I mentioned RS, they do have it in my area. There's a vendor on Flea-bay that sells it in powder form and also most hobby electronics stores carry it (in my area). To bring back the pattern.......soak the blade in ferric chloride. lol. I couldn't resist, sorry.

Rudy

Toole
10-26-2011, 06:27 PM
Thanks Rudy and I realy mean it as you can see I am haveing trouble.
Tanks again Toole

Michael Kemp
10-26-2011, 09:52 PM
Hmmm - place I bought powder from no longer sells it - so that got me curious - I see Jantz Supply has some liquid. Some place called Science Company sells powder. For what that's worth.

DonL
10-26-2011, 10:30 PM
Radio Shack.

But at many RS stores, you have to ask for the PCB Etchant, not ferric chloride. I called nearly every RS in my area when I wanted to etch some blades and asked for ferric chloride. Most said "oh no, we don't carry those types of chemicals". Then, I actually got ahold of someone who said "Yeah, we have it, it's but we call it PCB Etchant". I called back to those other stores a day later and asked them if they had "PCB Etchant". "Yes, we have several bottles" was their reply. It's $10.49 for 16 oz.

Mike Martinez
10-27-2011, 07:07 AM
These folks carry it at a very reasonable price. FERRIC CHLORIDE (http://www.micromark.com/Ferric-Chloride-Etchant-16-oz,8350.html) $6.45 per bottle.

McClellan Made Blades
10-31-2011, 03:15 PM
In y'alls searching to find Ferric Chloride, has anyone seen a good place to get it in gallon+ sizes? Also, does anyone know the ratio for mixing the ferric crystals? What about Iron III? I've found both of these on eBay, and I've also found a local supplier that can get a gallon for $35 dollars a gallon. I'm going to be building an etching tank,(for Damascus) filling it full of PCB Etchant will send me to the poor house AND the dog house too! Not to mention, I don't know if the concentration is right because the PCB E is already dilluted. Does anyone know if it is strong enough to etch Damascus? Thanks Dawgs!!!!