PDA

View Full Version : the Bible

Raymond Richard
10-10-2009, 10:29 PM
15 years ago I was given a small pocket size Gideons Bible. For such a small bible it had the biggest statement I had ever read on the second page in. It brought a tear to my eye then. I ran across this little bible the other day and I had the same reaction.

The Bible contains the mind of God, the state of man, the way of salvation, the doom of sinners, and the happiness of believers. Its doctrines are holy, its precepts are binding, its histories are true, and it decisions are immutable. Read it to be wise, believe it to be safe, and practice to be holy. It contains light to direct you, food to support you, and comfort to cheer you.
It is the traveler's map, the pilgrim's staff, the pilot's compass, the soldier's sword, and the Christian's charter. Here Paradise is restored, Heaven opened, and the gates of hell disclosed.

CHRIST is its grand subject, our good the design, and the glory of God its end.
It should fill the memory, rule the heart, and guide the feet. Read it slowly, frequently, and prayerfully. It is a mine of wealth, a paradise of glory, and a river of pleasure. It is given you in life, will be opened at the judgment, and be remembered for ever. It involves the highest responsibility, will reward the greatest labor, and will condemn all who trifle with its sacred contents.

Samuel Boggs is the author of these words This is an excerpt from a speech he gave in 1923.

Bill Coye
10-10-2009, 10:52 PM
Amen.

JAWilliams
10-10-2009, 11:35 PM
Thanks for a reminder.

Eli Gautreaux
10-11-2009, 08:17 AM
Ray, that has to be one of the most articulate, comprehensive, yet concise statements about the Bible I've ever read. Incredibly well said.

I understand why it touched you, it moved me as well. Thanks!

Chinook
10-11-2009, 09:08 AM
Went to KnifeDogs.com on Sunday morning to find your post on the Bible. It sure sets it straight. God bless you Ray.
Chinook
www.anglerinnovations.com

echo-7
10-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Well put Ray, God bless... Mikey

CAD
10-11-2009, 10:34 AM
Thanks for sharing Ray!

Chris D. :D

Les Voorhies
10-11-2009, 01:07 PM
Well said Ray :)

v-6
10-11-2009, 01:52 PM
Amen Ray , you got that right to Ray.
vern

Stuart Willis
10-12-2009, 09:56 PM
Amen and God bless. Thanks for sharing

Raymond Richard
10-13-2009, 04:29 PM
First of all I want to thank Tracy for not deleting this thread! It wasn't the easiest thing for me to post but now that I did and I see the response I'd like to keep this going.

This morning blacksmithing popped in my mind and I started thinking about it. It wasn't to long ago that in order to have a small village or a town a blacksmith shop was a necessity. I did a short term mission trip in Honduras a few years ago. The fellow that was our guide pointed out the blacksmithing shop at the small village we would be staying at. Anyway the little bit that I know about blacksmith shops is there was a little mysticism that seemed to go along with it. Looking at my shop there's really not much in there other than my grinder, a drill press, heat treating oven, rotary tool, and that's about it for power tools. Now I got my forge, a couple anvils, and way more hammers than I need. My shop really isn't much without me. I'm the head machine and I don't need to be plugged in. Other than hitting the switch to turn on my bathroom exhaust fan blower and turning on the gas I'm good to go.

When I first got into bladesmithing I knew very little and the first time I fired up my coal forge I'd built from a pickup truck brake drum I found out how right I was. Forging a blade from a piece of leaf spring just wasn't going to happen that day. In fact it was a couple years later that I felt like I was starting to get the hang of it and its been a never ending learning process since I started. All this time when I first started bladesmithing I felt like there was a presence there in the shop watching me. At times I thought maybe it was the spirit of my great grandfather Steve who had his own cutlery business in 1862 watching over me. (right now you probably thinking, I always knew Ray was a little strange)
Something I have been told before more than once.

More to the present time now. Most of you know that I've been part of a men's Bible study group that's been meeting for around 6 years now and the last 3 or 4 years we have been studying the Old Testament. I do think we will finish this study shortly but to me it has been well worth the time spent doing it. When I first became a christian I knew very little about the Bible and was told we live by the New Testament but I had always wondered why the Old Testament was about 7/8's of the book. It's a history of His Chosen People. They go from being in dyer straights to up on top of the mountain. God gives Moses the 10 Commandments a couple different times and these are the rules for you to live by. Things go real good while these rules are fresh in there minds but they gradually start back sliding and they find themselves back at dyer straights. When things get real bad they turn to God again and things start to turn around once again. This cycle continues through the Old Testament over and over again till Jesus Christ makes the scene with the new plan. The thing I appreciated the most out of this study of the Old Testament is it helped me understand myself. The faults I have are no different than those that lived in the good old days.

I look at "His Chosen People" in the Old Testament as "Man, himself" in the New Testament. Instead of God choosing us you either you chose to follow "Him" or just do as you please. You make the choice.

I had mentioned earlier about "mysticism" being somewhat tied to blacksmithing. Also thinking the presence I felt being my great grandfather watching me when I first started bladesmithing. I now know the presence I was feeling in the beginning of my adventure is much higher than that of my great grandfather. God talks to us. He talks to me in my shop most all the time. I've chosen to listen this time. Read the Bible and let God talk to you.

Stuart Willis
10-13-2009, 04:54 PM
I look at "His Chosen People" in the Old Testament as "Man, himself" in the New Testament. Instead of God choosing us you either you chose to follow "Him" or just do as you please. You make the choice.

I had mentioned earlier about "mysticism" being somewhat tied to blacksmithing. Also thinking the presence I felt being my great grandfather watching me when I first started bladesmithing. I now know the presence I was feeling in the beginning of my adventure is much higher than that of my great grandfather. God talks to us. He talks to me in my shop most all the time. I've chosen to listen this time. Read the Bible and let God talk to you.

Well said Ray and I know what you mean about feeling the presence.

Eli Gautreaux
10-13-2009, 06:03 PM
Well said, thanks for that Ray. I also believe God speaks, and I also want to listen (a little hard-headed myself sometimes :) )

tonester
10-13-2009, 09:47 PM
thanks for sharing that raymond. i love those little bibles. i carry one in my back pocket all the time. i usually end up giving it away to a friend or someone i know that needs it more than i do. those bible always pick me up when im having a gloomy day too.

Jeff Pearce
10-13-2009, 10:12 PM
Amen on that Ray....

Les Voorhies
10-13-2009, 10:20 PM
God talks to us. He talks to me in my shop most all the time. I've chosen to listen this time. Read the Bible and let God talk to you.

That's where I mostly hear God also, I think it's solitude of the shop, even when it's not quiet in the shop, it's just you and God there.

Raymond Richard
10-13-2009, 11:15 PM
That's where I mostly hear God also, I think it's solitude of the shop, even when it's not quiet in the shop, it's just you and God there.

Hey Brother, Have you been listening? :D

I find myself being 62 years old. 30 years as a christian and I bet the first 26 years I never read one complete book of the Bible. I just didn't get it until doing this Old Testament study and seemed to be grasping a little at a time. Now it flat out makes sense.

toenester, I just put my mini Book away. Its my shop Bible now!

One
10-14-2009, 08:52 AM
I think God is just as much on the inside as outside. I mostly hear God coming from inside me when quiet and still. I think God will speak to anyone who will listen, whether through the bible, nature or through your own heart.

The best part is, everyone seems to hear something different... :)

The bible is very mysterious to me... I've read it several times cover to cover, and still don't understand the totality of it. It's like trying to pour the ocean into a paper cup.

Mathsr
10-14-2009, 09:19 AM
Absolutely the best description I have ever read of the Bible. I'm sending a copy of it to my three sons. I hope that they will pass it on to their friends, I'm going to pass it on to mine.

You thanked Tracy for not deleting this thread. I do too. The responses you have gotten speak volumes about the people that visit this forum and volumes about the people that visit other forums I visit from time to time too. I wonder why I visit them when so many times I end up feeling like I need a break from the hate and venom that exists there.

Ken Hurst
10-14-2009, 10:25 AM
I agree with all of the above and am happy that there are such members here.

Raymond Richard
10-14-2009, 10:54 AM
I think God is just as much on the inside as outside. I mostly hear God coming from inside me when quiet and still. I think God will speak to anyone who will listen, whether through the bible, nature or through your own heart.

The bible is very mysterious to me... I've read it several times cover to cover, and still don't understand the totality of it. It's like trying to pour the ocean into a paper cup.

One,

I believe parts of the Bible are meant to be mysterious. It allows us to go on Faith. I find myself using the word Hope a great deal. Without Faith, Hope is just another word.

I look at the words that I started this thread with. To me those words are nothing more than instructions. Something most people skip over or feel there just there to fill a blank page.

Pretty amazing, isn't it. How many people are there in this world, billions and we are all different! There may be a few twins like Harry and Charlie who probably look alike but who's spirits are different. For the last 18 years I've have raised a number of cows and when you come right down to it a cow is a cow even if they are different breeds. God put just enough in the cows head to be what it is. :D

Harry,

So much of what I see in this world is on the negative side. I just wanted to do something positive.

Raymond Richard
10-14-2009, 01:29 PM
I keep finding myself going back and re reading the statement I started on the Bible. Funny I can remember something like what I'm about to do when I went to school. That alone is a miracle itself. :D I'm going to take this statement apart. I also have Webster close at hand for some of the words I'm not sure of.

The Bible contains the mind of God, (Can you imagine how large God's mind is?) the state of man, (pretty sorry and sad) the way of salvation, (Arrow pointing directly at Jesus Christ) the doom of sinners, (pretty obvious at whats being said here) and the happiness of believers.(Eternal life in heaven) Its doctrines are holy, (a rule or law coming from God) its precepts are binding, (a direction meant as a rule that we should be tied to) its histories are true,(God written or inspired by God) and it decisions are immutable.(NEVER CHANGING!) Read it to be wise,(wisdom, uses there head) believe it to be safe, (something different) and practice to be holy. (How different would things be if we did that) It contains light to direct you, (another arrow pointing up) food to support you,(very low calorie and all meat, no fat) and comfort to cheer you. (Your best friend)
It is the traveler's map,(works anywhere, just open it up and your there) the pilgrim's staff, (a light weight cornerstone) the pilot's compass, (another arrow) the soldier's sword, (and don't forget the armor of God) and the Christian's charter.(setting forth the aims and principles of a united group, could be a church or how about even a country. I believe I heard of a country that once set up that way. Strange stuff going on here.) Here Paradise is restored, Heaven opened,(sounds like salvation) and the gates of hell disclosed. (here's a big negative)

Time for a break but the best is yet to come.

Chinook
10-16-2009, 10:38 AM
Ray and all,
We certainly live at a time in history when everythings seems to be changing faster than we can fully comprehend. I look and the news everyday and am stunned by the madness. It seems the whole country is stunned and cannot react. Great relief here Ray. Thank you!

Chinook
1Peter2:6
For in Scripture it says: "See, I lay a stone in Zion, a chosen and precious cornerstone, and the one who trusts in him will never be put to shame."

Raymond Richard
10-16-2009, 01:52 PM
Ray and all,
We certainly live at a time in history when everythings seems to be changing faster than we can fully comprehend. I look and the news everyday and am stunned by the madness. It seems the whole country is stunned and cannot react. Great relief here Ray. Thank you!

Chinook
For in Scripture it says: "See, I lay a stone in Zion, a chosen and precious cornerstone, and the one who trusts in him will never be put to shame."

Let me introduce Chinook. He's been a long time friend and brother in Christ. He's also got one of the world's largest collections of Raymond Richard Knives except for my own. He's my fishing buddy and its at his house we meet for our men's Bible study. Pretty good fellow but a little crazy from time to time. Welcome and Please come back again!

Eli Gautreaux
10-16-2009, 05:30 PM
Ray and all,

Chinook

Chinook, welcome to the forum bro, it's very very good to see you here! I'm hoping to be in Oregon again soon, maybe we can play a few games of cards to try and diminish your collection of Ray's knives :D. Nah, truth be told I'm not very good and would likely lose the few that I have, lol.

Ray, I love your commentary on the Bible statement, there is a TON of truth in there!

Stuart Willis
10-16-2009, 07:47 PM
Hello Chinook and welcome. Nice of you to open your home for the men's Bible study.

Raymond Richard
10-20-2009, 02:39 PM
I keep finding myself going back and re reading the statement I started on the Bible. Funny I can remember something like what I'm about to do when I went to school. That alone is a miracle itself. :D I'm going to take this statement apart. I also have Webster close at hand for some of the words I'm not sure of.

The Bible contains the mind of God, (Can you imagine how large God's mind is?) the state of man, (pretty sorry and sad) the way of salvation, (Arrow pointing directly at Jesus Christ) the doom of sinners, (pretty obvious at whats being said here) and the happiness of believers.(Eternal life in heaven) Its doctrines are holy, (a rule or law coming from God) its precepts are binding, (a direction meant as a rule that we should be tied to) its histories are true,(God written or inspired by God) and it decisions are immutable.(NEVER CHANGING!) Read it to be wise,(wisdom, uses there head) believe it to be safe, (something different) and practice to be holy. (How different would things be if we did that) It contains light to direct you, (another arrow pointing up) food to support you,(very low calorie and all meat, no fat) and comfort to cheer you. (Your best friend)
It is the traveler's map,(works anywhere, just open it up and your there) the pilgrim's staff, (a light weight cornerstone) the pilot's compass, (another arrow) the soldier's sword, (and don't forget the armor of God) and the Christian's charter.(setting forth the aims and principles of a united group, could be a church or how about even a country. I believe I heard of a country that once set up that way. Strange stuff going on here.) Here Paradise is restored, Heaven opened,(sounds like salvation) and the gates of hell disclosed. (here's a big negative)

Time for a break but the best is yet to come.

CHRIST is its grand subject, our good the design, and the glory of God its end. (Lets save this for later)

It should fill the memory, rule the heart, and guide the feet. (Things that will happen to us when it is read. Could things start to happen while it is being read?) Read it slowly, frequently, and prayerfully. (More instructions) It is a mine of wealth, a paradise of glory, and a river of pleasure. (More things the Bible will become) It is given you in life, will be opened at the judgment, and be remembered for ever. (Sounds like a pretty good book) It involves the highest responsibility, (Something we should share with others) will reward the greatest labor, (A GOAL= Eternal Life) and will condemn all who trifle with its sacred contents. (Do not change, modify, or leave out.)

CHRIST is its grand subject, (Amen!) our good the design,(Jesus Christ came to save us, that is the design) and the glory of God its end. (Hallelujah)

One
10-20-2009, 03:48 PM
... Just say "YES"!

Eli Gautreaux
10-20-2009, 07:11 PM
Awesome thoughts Ray, I was hoping you would finish your commentary.

I was doing a little reading in it today (Luke 12) and I'm pretty sure He was talking to me about money, in a good way :)

Stuart Willis
10-20-2009, 07:34 PM
Very nice thoughts Ray.

Old Man
10-20-2009, 08:06 PM
Very profound and undeniably true,
May GOD bless and keep us all

thanks Ray

Bill (Old Man)

Rusty McDonald
10-20-2009, 09:31 PM
I too have one of those little bible's. It went with me to the desert and Somolia when I was in the Corps. The comfort the words gave me could not be compaired to any other.
I still have that Bible in my roll top desk and come across it on ocasion I will pick it up and read a chapter or two, but my eyes dont like the little print any more.

Psalms 31:1
In you, O LORD, I have taken refuge;
let me never be put to shame;
deliver me in your righteousness.

Raymond Richard
10-25-2009, 12:30 PM
Where else can the Mind of God be found? unsure

One
10-25-2009, 03:42 PM
Ray,

What I'm thinking is,... in God! :)

God is everywhere, in everything and in everyone.

"SWEET SURRENDER"

Sweet surrender, oh, so tender
Jesus your love so true
All that I am and ever will be
Jesus I'm giving to you

(Chorus)

In my sweet surrender freedom is found
Lord I'm your prisoner
In you, Lord, I'm bound
Perfect communion is what we have when we meet
With you Lord, surrender is sweet

Sweet surrender, oh, so tender
Why did I ever resist?
Worldly pleasures all forsaken
I never knew it could be like this

In my sweet surrender freedom is found
Lord I'm your prisoner
In you, Lord, I'm bound
Perfect communion is what we have when we meet
With you Lord, surrender is sweet

(Bridge)
I'll never know why I waited so long
For you to forgive my transgressions
And right all my wrongs

(Chorus)
Your yoke is easy; your burden light
Filled with mercy, comfort and might
Sweet surrender is what we have when we meet
With you, Lord, surrender is sweet

(My avatar and sig., line aren't working very well in this thread) LOL :(

Raymond Richard
10-25-2009, 07:21 PM
Tai, You are right. Nice song to!

Normally before I head off to church I'll spend and hour or two out in my shop. I found myself thinking about the Mind of God. Then my mind went back to the creation of man. Some where I recall reading that man was created in "Our" likeness. That's pretty special! Hey if we got bodies that were created in God's likeness whats the chance that God put his brain in our heads?

Peter Killgore
10-25-2009, 09:35 PM
Tai, You are right. Nice song to!

Hey if we got bodies that were created in God's likeness whats the chance that God put his brain in our heads?

Ray, based on some of the things I've done, I would say that chance is pretty darn slim. Like my neighbor says, "Stupid comes easy." I must say I agree.

One
10-26-2009, 07:59 AM
Peter, God works in mysterious ways...

Eli Gautreaux
10-26-2009, 02:10 PM
This is a great thread Ray, full of insight. I love the dialogue and exchange of different thoughts represented --- hopefully it'll keep going.

One very cool thing about the Bible is its diversity of authorship ---- it was written by about 40 authors from radically different times and places in history, covering about a 1500 year span. It's contributers varied from kings to peasants, from rich to poor, from the educated, to the uneducated. It covers a multiplicity of topics addressing all of life's issues... I'd like to see someone try to get 40 people from any one generation, and one continent, and one field of study, to write about one topic with as much unity and agreement as the Bible. It would be a fun experiment!

You guys have reminded me of a book I love called "The Mind of The Maker" by Dorothy Sayers. She says God is a maker, and He made us in His image ---- to be "makers." I think it was Sayers who said "Work is the creative expression of energy, in the service of God and others..."

Tai and Ray, you guys amaze me with your ability to make things. I think that's a gift that God put into your lives --- the drive to forge, to create, to make knives (artistic and functional tools.) And it's obvious to me by the quality of your work that you treat your work seriously, which is what I think God must have intended. :)

Jerry Bond
10-26-2009, 09:28 PM
An God said,"they have become as one of US, now we must drive them out of the garden, lest they eat of the tree of life and live forever.
So they were driven out of the garden of eden, and cherubims
and a flaming sword were placed to guard the way back to the tree of life.
And Paul said that in the end ALL THINGS WILL BE KNOWN,
so the cherubims will be removed and we will be able to use the other 2/3 of our brain also. Now tell me "am I crazy for seeing it like that?" This can get real deep and I can't type or spell.
When you pray, pray for wisdom and understanding, as I did for 2 yrs. And he will give you enough to scare the hell out of you.
And you cannot talk to anyone, because you see everything diff.
and they think you are crazy, But all you want is friendship and
fellowship. But I do know about my Lord,for he said, learn of me and that is really all that matters . May God bless and keep you guys in the palm of his hand. Your friend, Jerry

One
10-27-2009, 02:37 PM
Nice post Jerry! :)

I think that the other "2/3", of our brains does function, but we aren't always conscious or aware of it. It usually stays locked up in our subconscious minds… We don’t always recall it and even if we did,... we probably wouldn't understand it.

Raymond Richard
10-27-2009, 03:31 PM
What's the chances that God uses His whole brain? I believe God put his brain in each and everyone of our heads. I look at the human brain the sameway as infinity. It will never fill up with knowledge. Think back to when your were a toddler. You did something you weren't supposed to do and right away you knew you did something wrong. Where did that come from?

BRAVO1
10-27-2009, 10:00 PM
Ray,

I dont think it a coincidence that I happened to come across you when looking for advice about knives a few months ago. Thanks for the direction concerning knives and more importantly being a well placed reminder of "where" I should be. Keep doing what youre doing, youre doing more than you probably know.
BTW.. The gunstock clubs.. unbelievable.. I like how you tend to bring back and put a new spin on old ideas.

Gary

One
10-28-2009, 08:32 AM
What's the chances that God uses His whole brain? I believe God put his brain in each and everyone of our heads. I look at the human brain the sameway as infinity. It will never fill up with knowledge. Think back to when your were a toddler. You did something you weren't supposed to do and right away you knew you did something wrong. Where did that come from?

... Maybe from the "heart". The heart is our second brain.

One
10-29-2009, 10:28 AM
I've read in several places that the heart contains some "neurons", that are exactly the same as in the brain,... Don't know if that's true or not, but there are schools of thought that consider the heart part of the subconscious mind or "inner voice". Personally, when I'm practicing certain types of "meditation", I can "hear" a voice coming from my heart, not from my brain... I don't always understand it in my brain though.

One
10-29-2009, 12:17 PM
The bible has a lot to say about the "heart", and seems to put more emphasis there than what goes on in the brain. Although, it may be referring to the "heart" on several different levels with different meanings, it seems to be saying that men and women can deceive and harden their own hearts,… which I assume comes from the brain.

However... "Lord, who shall abide in thy tabernacle? who shall dwell in thy holy hill? He that walketh uprightly, and worketh righteousness, and speaketh the truth in his heart." Psalm 15, verses 1-2

One
10-29-2009, 02:32 PM
I think the bible is saying,… not to, “harden our hearts” or deceive ourselves with our conscious mind and the foggy smoke of “reality“,… but to stay soft, pure and open in our hearts... And “listen”.

I received this private message from my good friend and fellow knife enthusiast, the “Yogi Bhajan“,… the year before he passed. He liked to play with words and he well knew I was a bladesmith.

Let me share it with you…

“My dear one in Divine,

Sat Nam. (“You are divine“)

I have gratefully received your email.

Sharpen your intuition and cut out the bad habits. Keep only the good ones, and you will be the best!

Do a lot of Kundalini Yoga and become pure and clear like water.

Flow into your true divinity and let the heavens unfold and reveal themselves to you while you are still perfecting the blade of your consciousness.

Become pure steel in your soul-strength and soft like wax in your kindness and compassion, standing firmly in your base and grace.

My prayers and blessings are with you.

Humbly yours,
Yogi Bhajan”

Raymond Richard
10-29-2009, 05:50 PM
Tai, I believe the brain and heart are connected and work as a team. God gives us a choice and always has. We either go our merry way with life and do as the world does. We can also follow whoever we chose. Some may sound good and true and make you feel something deep inside that makes you think your on the right track. I chose to live by faith and believe what is written in the Bible as true. No ifs and's or but's. Its there in that book........

One
10-29-2009, 06:21 PM
Tai, I believe the brain and heart are connected and work as a team. God gives us a choice and always has.

Amen!

... and always will.

I believe in "you" brother... :)

"People get ready"

People get ready
There's a train coming
Picking up passengers
From coast to coast
Faith is the key
Open the doors and board 'em
There's room for all
If you'll just love the Lord

There ain't no room
For the hopeless sinner
Who would hurt all mankind
Just to save his own
Have pity on those
Whose chances grow thinner
There's no hiding place
Around the kingdon's throne

Chorus
People get ready
There's a train coming
Don't need no ticket
You just get on board
Faith is the key
Open the doors and board 'em
Don't need no ticket
You just thank the Lord

ddavelarsen
11-04-2009, 05:26 AM
15 years ago I was given a small pocket size Gideons Bible. For such a small bible it had the biggest statement I had ever read on the second page in. It brought a tear to my eye then. I ran across this little bible the other day and I had the same reaction.

The Bible contains the mind of God, the state of man, the way of salvation, the doom of sinners, and the happiness of believers. Its doctrines are holy, its precepts are binding, its histories are true, and it decisions are immutable. Read it to be wise, believe it to be safe, and practice to be holy. It contains light to direct you, food to support you, and comfort to cheer you.
It is the traveler's map, the pilgrim's staff, the pilot's compass, the soldier's sword, and the Christian's charter. Here Paradise is restored, Heaven opened, and the gates of hell disclosed.

It should fill the memory, rule the heart, and guide the feet. Read it slowly, frequently, and prayerfully. It is a mine of wealth, a paradise of glory, and a river of pleasure. It is given you in life, will be opened at the judgment, and be remembered for ever. It involves the highest responsibility, will reward the greatest labor, and will condemn all who trifle with its sacred contents.

Samuel Boggs is the author of these words This is an excerpt from a speech he gave in 1923.

Thanks Ray, that is truly moving. This is the first time I noticed this sticky, but it's now one of my favorites. I'll come back to read other's comments too.

Raymond Richard
11-16-2009, 03:52 PM
I've been trying to find more information on Samuel Boggs. I contacted Kristy who is with The Gideons so here's a little more information on him and The Gideons. I wonder what the Bible count is now........

Mr. Boggs was the fourth president of The Gideons International from 1923 to 1926. In the 1925-1926 fiscal year, for the first time 100,000 Bibles were placed. During his presidency, he orchestrated a merger with the Canadian office which opened the way for offices of The Gideons to be established around the world. Even after he was president, he worked with a committee focused on reaching out to other countries with the Bible. At this present time we are working in 190 countries.

Chuck Cook
11-16-2009, 05:03 PM
Ray
Thanks for starting this tread, I have enjoyed reading it and watching it grow.
I have long felt that God is always speaking to us, it is up to us to choose to listen.

One
12-13-2009, 08:21 AM
B-Basic
I-Instructions
B-Before
L-Leaving
E-Earth

ddavelarsen
12-13-2009, 01:02 PM
Hey, that's cool! I'm going to share that with my family, they'll all dig it too.

Raymond Richard
12-13-2009, 03:56 PM
Tai, I think you just broke the code. :D

Robert Dark
12-13-2009, 06:42 PM
It is the key to living both in today's times and the hereafter. Its like someone offering you a drink of water to quench your thirst. It is offered, but until you reach out and take it, it will never be yours.

Robert

Calvin Robinson
12-26-2009, 10:43 AM
Thank you Raymond for starting this thread, it makes me feel good to read someone who confirms the same things I believe. I've been a Christian for as long as I can remember, I'm 57 now, however I have lived few of those years as Christ would want me to. Jesus reclaimed me about ten years ago and has been working to improve upon me, he has made a lot of progress but I have a long way to go. I pray and read the Bible every day, a Gidions pocket Bible is what I started with, I thank God for that organization. I gave my little Gidions bible to my oldest grandson a year or so ago and told him that it was life's instruction book. I am in the process of reading the old testement for the second time, it is difficult to understand and downright depressing sometimes but I keep plugging along because it does help me understand the big picture. Knife making gives me opportunity to testify about my faith, I need to do it more often, when someone ask's me " How do you make such beautiful knives?" I should say " By the grace of God." because none of us can accomplish anything without God.
God bless you all!

Raymond Richard
02-17-2010, 04:36 PM
I feel like I have forgotten this thread but I really haven't. I have been trying to memorize the statement on the Bible and I think I'm pretty close. The most important thing is doing what it says. After around 5 years of studying the Old Testament the old men's Bible study group that I belong to finally finished it a few months ago. Now we are burning up the New Testament. We just finished chapter 5 in Matthew. At the rate we are moving I see us finishing the NT in 2015. You know speed is not necessary. Being in the Word is what its all about. I do look forward to the next 5 years of study and learning more about my Lord and Savior!

Peter Killgore
02-17-2010, 06:30 PM
I always like taking more time to study the Bible, that way you don't miss anything. I'm in a Bible study at my church and we have been in Hebrews for a year and a half. We just got into ch.9 last weekend. It's incredible how much is in a passage when you really take the time to study it.

arrow-360
02-17-2010, 07:06 PM
Wow!!! I can't believe they allow Bible talk here! If you mention the name of Jesus on other sights, it is closed right away. "Here it is made a sticky!!! " Guess this has just become my main sight. 2thumbs Hi to all my brothers!!!
Dave

LR Adkins
02-17-2010, 09:07 PM
Ray, I thank you for starting this thread. Their isn't many places you can talk about our Heavenly Father and the scriptures with out being put down.

I joined my church 32 years ago, married my wife a year later, And we have been active ever since then. The blessings I have received are way beyond what I ever imagined. By relying on God and following the scriptures I have been able to weather every storm.

It's interesting to read everyones interpretation of the Bible. I know this is a good thing and I pray this thread will continue.

Larry

Raymond Richard
02-18-2010, 11:37 AM
Wow!!! I can't believe they allow Bible talk here! If you mention the name of Jesus on other sights, it is closed right away. "Here it is made a sticky!!! " Guess this has just become my main sight. 2thumbs Hi to all my brothers!!!
Dave

Dave, When I first started this thread I needed a double dip of boldness. Lots of second thoughts for sure. I read about "Boldness" in the Bible and just put it to use. When I think about boldness the first person that comes to mind is Paul not to mention a host of may others!

I'm glad I took the time yesterday to stir the pot! Something positive is cooking!

JatMat
02-18-2010, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the thread and thanks to Tracy for making a G rated forum for all of us. I had to upgrade a membership on another site, just to avoid seeing all the porn titles and R rated thread titles. I am not ashamed to say I am a Christian, saved by Grace and nothing at all that I have done, but accept the free gift of salvation.

A pardon given is not a pardon at all until received and accepted by the person.

Jim

Glad to be here.

arrow-360
02-18-2010, 07:53 PM
All other sights usually have someone come in to argue, and gets the thread closed. I noticed this thread has gotten nearly 1500 views..... Awesome!!!
My desire is to have the life everyone is looking for, but not finding in there own efforts. That alone will speak volums whithout speaking a word! The Lord is real to me, and I wan't others to discover that reality. God is very, very good!!!
Dave

ddavelarsen
02-19-2010, 04:37 AM
How cool is this?! A thread about Christianity that everyone gets into! I remember when Ray put this up it made me feel so good; like I was living in a "good" world again suddenly. It's always been one of my favorite threads anywhere, ever. It's comforting and fulfilling to know that so many others take strength from the Bible. Thanks again Ray, for being the very special man you are.

Erin Burke
02-19-2010, 08:07 AM
[QUOTE=Raymond Richard;56787]Dave, When I first started this thread I needed a double dip of boldness.[QUOTE]

I think we could all use a healthy dose of this type of boldness in Christ as we walk our daily lives.

I've been reading through Exodus lately... and I think that construction of the tent of meeting/sanctuary holds a valuable lesson for those folks who are skilled craftsmen.

"And Moses called Bezalel and Oholiab and every craftsman in whose mind the Lord had put skill, everyone whose heart stirred him up to come to do the work." Exodus 36:2 (ESV)

Erin

Raymond Richard
02-19-2010, 11:39 AM
Erin, I found the skill thing pretty amazing myself!

The Old Testament is basically a history of man. It covers several thousand years. Things were done the old way but man really hasn't changed any since we showed up. All the things that get us into trouble now were the samethings that got them into trouble. God gave us all "free will". Its up to us to chose which gate we pass through.

Mike Barton
02-21-2010, 10:13 AM
God gave us all "free will". Its up to us to chose which gate we pass through.

Amen, Brother Ray

Raymond Richard
03-15-2010, 03:37 PM
Pretty sure I mentioned trying to memorize the statement that I started this thread on about the Bible. I did not post this picture. Its kind of hard to read from this photo but its placed on the east wall of my shop and in clear view. Its something I look at several times a day and having it where it is has helped me to memorize it.

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_1719.JPG

I live in an area that is surrounded by tree nursery's. There's always people working at these nursery's year round and I just can't help myself by not talking to a few of them. Most don't speak English but every once in awhile I will find one that does. I struck up a little bit of a friendship with Noa over the past year and I had told him if he had some free time to stop by the shop. He came by for a visit today and I think he was pretty shocked to see what I had going on in there. Then he noticed what I had written on the Bible and asked if he could take the time to read it. I could tell just by watching him it had struck a cord. After he got done reading it he told me that he was helping minister to a group of his brothers and sisters and that he'd like to copy it and share it with his friends. Hard to believe how much this up lifted us both and then we prayed together.

Just thought I'd share this here.

Gil Brown
03-16-2010, 06:48 PM
Ray,

Great story on how God, once again, works in our lives. We never know who may appear at our door..........

Love Ya Ray,

Gil Brown
Your brother forever.

Eli Gautreaux
03-17-2010, 11:07 PM
Pretty sure I mentioned trying to memorize the statement that I started this thread on about the Bible. I did not post this picture. Its kind of hard to read from this photo but its placed on the east wall of my shop and in clear view. Its something I look at several times a day and having it where it is has helped me to memorize it.

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_1719.JPG

I live in an area that is surrounded by tree nursery's. There's always people working at these nursery's year round and I just can't help myself by not talking to a few of them. Most don't speak English but every once in awhile I will find one that does. I struck up a little bit of a friendship with Noa over the past year and I had told him if he had some free time to stop by the shop. He came by for a visit today and I think he was pretty shocked to see what I had going on in there. Then he noticed what I had written on the Bible and asked if he could take the time to read it. I could tell just by watching him it had struck a cord. After he got done reading it he told me that he was helping minister to a group of his brothers and sisters and that he'd like to copy it and share it with his friends. Hard to believe how much this up lifted us both and then we prayed together.

Just thought I'd share this here.

I love that Ray 2thumbs

Keith Willis
03-18-2010, 02:03 PM
Thank you Ray.

God bless,Keith

One
03-21-2010, 02:21 PM
Quenching the blade symbolizes the “incarnation” and “crystallization” of the "Word of God"!

Forging the blade symbolizes “death and rebirth”, "trial by fire" AND,... “the resurrection“!

Lorien
03-30-2010, 10:47 PM
where does the handle fit in?

Raymond Richard
03-30-2010, 10:54 PM
where does the handle fit in?

Lorien, How about Faith. That's what keeps me holding on.

One
03-31-2010, 08:29 AM
If the handle is "Faith",... what's the sheath?

Peter Killgore
03-31-2010, 09:03 AM
I would say the sheath is God's Love and Grace since we are caught in it and it holds on to us.

One
03-31-2010, 10:24 AM
That’s kinds of what I was thinking…

Maybe the sheath symbolizes the “Comforter”,… The Holy Spirit.

Raymond Richard
03-31-2010, 10:36 AM
That’s kinds of what I was thinking…

Maybe the sheath symbolizes the “Comforter”,… The Holy Spirit.

Tai, This is a good one for me to spend several hours of thought on while I'm in the shop.

Lorien
03-31-2010, 10:51 AM
to me, the sheath represents mystery.
Ray, that is a great answer. Didn't even occur to me.

Raymond Richard
04-09-2010, 05:54 PM
This came to me in an email today. I thought it was worth sharing.

Billy Graham is now 90 years old with Parkinson's disease.

In January 2000, leaders in Charlotte , North Carolina ,
invited their favorite son, Billy Graham, to a luncheon in
his honor.

Billy initially hesitated to accept the invitation because he
struggles with Parkinson's disease. But the Charlotte
leaders said, 'We don't expect a major address. Just
come and let us honor you.' So he agreed..

After wonderful things were said about him, Dr. Graham
stepped to the rostrum, looked at the crowd, and said,
'I'm reminded today of Albert Einstein, the great physicist who
this month has been honored by Time magazine as the
Man of the Century. Einstein was once traveling from
Princeton on a train when the conductor came down the
aisle, punching the tickets of every passenger. When he
came to Einstein, Einstein reached in his vest pocket. He
couldn't find his ticket, so he reached in his trouser pockets.
It wasn't there, so he looked in his briefcase but couldn't find it.
Then he looked in the seat beside him. He still couldn't find it.

The conductor said, 'Dr. Einstein, I know who you are.
We all know who you are. I'm sure you bought a ticket.
Don't worry about it.'

Einstein nodded appreciatively. The conductor continued
down the aisle punching tickets. As he was ready to
move to the next car, he turned around and saw the great
physicist down on his hands and knees looking under his
seat for his ticket.

The conductor rushed back and said, 'Dr. Einstein,
Dr. Einstein, don't worry, I know who you are No problem.
You don't need a ticket. I'm sure you bought one.'

Einstein looked at him and said, 'Young man, I too, know who I am.
What I don't know is where I'm going.''

Having said that Billy Graham continued, 'See the suit I'm
wearing? It's a brand new suit. My children, and my grandchildren
are telling me I've gotten a little slovenly in my old age.. I used to be
a bit more fastidious. So I went out and bought a new suit for this
luncheon and one more occasion.

You know what that occasion is? This is the suit in which
I'll be buried. But when you hear I'm dead, I don't want
you to immediately remember the suit I'm wearing.
I want you to remember this:

I not only know who I am .. I also know where I'm going.'

"Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point."

JAWilliams
04-09-2010, 08:21 PM
Ray that is thought catching and make you wonder about the people that don't know the love and grace God gives us. He is so right about an unshapened pencil.

Larry B.
04-10-2010, 01:16 PM
I don't mean any disrespect, but someone please answer this in a manner that one can understand.

Well here is the 'old problem' in a nutshell. Sure no one should tell a grieving mother that its all in god's plan, BUT if you believe in a god, THEN IT IS!

Why does a god make innocents suffer? There is no rational explanation.

Eli Gautreaux
04-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Hey Larry,

It's sure easy to sound trite when responding to suffering, and I sincerely hope I don't sound that way to you. I've wrestled with lots of those questions myself, and have resolved a few things, or I could say have come to a few convictions:

First, is that God suffers more deeply and often than anyone. The picture of Jesus as a lamb is the quintessential type of the suffering of the innocent. And beyond the cross, the suffering of God is constant day in and out. If grief is proportional to intimacy (in other words, the more we love someone, the greater the risk that they can hurt us, and hurt us deeply.) God loves deeply even those who spit in his face and curse his name. So when you multiply the hurt of the sin and rebellion of billions of people over the ages, you begin to see the pain he lives with without reprieve. The incarnation of Jesus, the fact that God became a man, also tells us that God is not distant from suffering. Jesus, as a boy knew the loss of a father and the demands of working to support a family. As a man, he knew the pains of lonliness and bitter hurt of betrayal. The scars remained on Jesus even after the resurrection, as a sign of his suffering. He invites all to "touch my hands and feet, the hole in my side..." to see he is a God well aquainted with grief, sorrow, and suffering, one who embraces the hurting, never leaving them alone (the Bible says God is near to the broken-hearted.)

Secondly, I've come to the conviction that my finite mind cannot understand all the details of the infinite. For example, If I had been present there at the crucifixion of Jesus Christ (knowing only what they knew then, and not what we know now,) I would have walked away from that event wondering if there could possibly be a good God in heaven. My thoughts would have been to question God's existence altogether --- "Why would a good man like him have to suffer? He never hurt anyone, only helped people. Why was a beautiful and smart and caring young man cut down in the prime of life, lied about and falsely convicted, all for jealousy and pride? There cannot be a good God who would allow that to happen..."

However, in retrospect we know that the cross was the single greatest gift God ever gave to mankind. If I could so easily be so incredibly wrong about something like the cross, is it possible that I might be missing some greater purpose in my own suffering now? Is it possible that there will come a day that I will look back and see that He really is a good kind loving father, who had the best interest of his children in mind all the time? I've come to the conviction that one day I will understand all the suffering that I and my loved ones have endured in this life.

It takes a certain level of humility to trust that He knows best, akin to my daughter, who as a toddler always asked "why?" There are certain things I could explain to her, and other things that were just beyond her ability to grasp, she had to learn to trust me.

Larry, I sincerely hope I have not sounded demeaning. Your questions are good ones, and God isn't afraid of hard questions. But he is looking for truthfulness in the quest for answers. I think you'll find there are many rational answers if you are serious about finding them. I sure hope I get to meet you in person sometime, perhaps at a show

One
04-10-2010, 05:30 PM
I don't mean any disrespect, but someone please answer this in a manner that one can understand.

Well here is the 'old problem' in a nutshell. Sure no one should tell a grieving mother that its all in god's plan, BUT if you believe in a god, THEN IT IS!

Why does a god make innocents suffer? There is no rational explanation.

Without suffering there would be no point of reference for the good times or nothing to compare them to. We can only appreciate pleasure and understand what it means, because of pain and suffering. It's a polarity thing, (like night and day, dark and light)... and all points in between.

In truth,... it's just a matter of perspective.

...It has more to do with how the human mind works and the physical reality we live in, than with God.

Larry B.
04-10-2010, 05:48 PM
A way to explain away to believers why this god, who loves you, nevertheless allowed three-year-old girls to die in agony in Auschwitz.

The very idea that a tiny child is BORN IN SIN AND GUILTY OF IT is ludicrous, sick, and, frankly disgusting.

Jeff Pearce
04-10-2010, 06:09 PM
this is a great thread. I don't want to see it closed. play nice....

Eli Gautreaux
04-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Hi Larry,

It is precisely Ray's belief in the Bible and in Jesus that has led him to donate many knives for the orphans of Uganda. Bruce Bump recently donated a knfe for children in Jamaica. David Broadwell is currently doing the same.

You focus on the doctrine of original sin, but forget the Bible teaches that children, both newborn and unborn, are created in the image of God and are therefore precious beyond estimation in the sight of God and therefore his followers. Christians have done more to alleviate the suffering of children than any other ideology in history, a quick survey of the names of children's hospitals will show that belief in the Bible moves believers to help the weak and hurting.

I'm certainly not wanting to argue, but desperately hope you and others reading this can see that belief in the bible is not only rational, but also quite pragmatic in the world. The bible teaches us not to point our fingers at God or at others, but rather join in the cause to do what we can to help and love others. I sincerely hope you can see that :)

One
04-11-2010, 08:51 AM
I'm not arguing with anyone here, just throwing in some philosophy and statistics...

Pain and pleasure (suffering and enjoying, happiness and sadness) are totally dependant on each other, and without them the dynamics of "LIFE" would be lost. It's best just to accept it... LIFE... the nature of life.

"Christians have done more to alleviate the suffering of children than any other ideology in history, a quick survey of the names of children's hospitals will show that belief in the Bible moves believers to help the weak and hurting."

Christianity is the world's largest religion with an estimated 2.1 billion followers. That's over 1/4 of the world's population. Smaller religions also do what they can to help.

http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html

You don't have to be religious to want to help your fellow human beings. Its natural for most people, even atheists.

"belief in the bible is not only rational, but also quite pragmatic in the world."

Belief in the bible is strictly a matter of faith and freedom of choice...

Eli Gautreaux
04-11-2010, 10:41 AM
I'm not arguing with anyone here, just throwing in some philosophy and statistics...

Pain and pleasure (suffering and enjoying, happiness and sadness) are totally dependant on each other, and without them the dynamics of "LIFE" would be lost. It's best just to accept it... LIFE... the nature of life.

"Christians have done more to alleviate the suffering of children than any other ideology in history, a quick survey of the names of children's hospitals will show that belief in the Bible moves believers to help the weak and hurting."

Christianity is the world's largest religion with an estimated 2.1 billion followers. That's over 1/4 of the world's population. Smaller religions also do what they can to help.

http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html

You don't have to be religious to want to help your fellow human beings. Its natural for most people, even atheists.

"belief in the bible is not only rational, but also quite pragmatic in the world."

Belief in the bible is strictly a matter of faith and freedom of choice...

Hey Tai,

Thanks for your thoughts, and your cordiality :) I'm no philosopher, but let me try to say with more clarity what I was thinking...

You make a good point about the size of the Christian faith and therefore the corresponding responsibility to action, I couldn't agree more.

However, you said "You don't have to be religious to want to help your fellow human beings. Its natural for most people, even atheists."

On that point I agree and disagree. My bigger point above was, belief in Christianity (as spelled out in the Bible) mandates action to alleviate human suffering, anything less is hypocrisy, of which the church has been very very often guilty :( However, the bible, when believed and followed, presents a worldview which allows for nothing less.

Atheism however, does not necesarrily move towards benevolence. While it is true that there are many atheists who have given themselves to philanthropy, atheism philosophically has forfeited the right to any "higher" moral law. This autonomous individual morality can just as easily give rise to an opposite and horrific ideology (Auschwitz was mentioned earlier.) Don't you think even a benevolent atheist, who is comitted to goodness, is hard pressed to rail against evil, once he/she has denied a moral law.

Again, I agree with you that many non-religious persons are very kind and helpful to fellow humans, but my point is that the bible mandates that lifestyle, atheism does not, and in fact opens the door for the opposite.

When you said: "Belief in the bible is strictly a matter of faith and freedom of choice..." I'm not sure exactly what you meant, but I absolutely agree with you that it's a matter of faith. I was trying to say that belief in the Bible is not an irrational proposition. All outlooks on life rest upon faith, in that they cannot be proved with absolute certainty. But this doesn’t mean that they’re all equally plausible. The big questions concern the reliability of its historical foundations, its internal consistency, its rationality, its power to convert, and its relevance to human existence. I think the Bible excels in all accounts.

Hope that makes sense, I'm not the best at articulating my thoughts ---- I'm not "the sharpest tool in the shed" as we say in Texas :D You guys are forcing me to think, and that's a good thing, even if it makes me a little dizzy :bud:

One
04-11-2010, 11:42 AM
From what I've heard (which really isn't that much), atheists believe that moral and ethical law, is more of a natural inherent thing in people. People are essentially good and naturally driven towards philanthropy etc.

It's not so important what the philosophical position on God is, as it is the reflection of God in our lives... If you believe in God, you can see God reflected in all people.

"Life" is a very mysterious thing!,... and I hope it stays that way. :)

To take away life's mysteries, would also be to take away it's dynamics... or any need for faith.

Larry B.
04-11-2010, 11:42 AM
What believers don't understand is how atheists could reject all this in light of the fact that believers feel so wonderful about their connection to whatever god they are associated with. Why would anybody reject happiness? Believers don't understand that atheists are happy-just as happy as believers. I feel liberated. I literally don't care what happens to me after I die and I don't have to run myself ragged worrying about it. That being said, I am just as caring and generous as any believer(not intended to be a commentary on which side deserves more credit).

One
04-11-2010, 11:55 AM
Larry, I understand what you are saying and think in fairness it needed to be said.

I also understand how atheists could be offended by this quote:
"Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point."

However, I also appreciated and understand the zest and enthusiasm that believers show for their faith. … Sometimes they get a bit carried away,... but that's O.K. too. :)

I don’t think anyone needs to apologize.

Eli Gautreaux
04-11-2010, 12:33 PM
Thanks fellas, I sure love this forum :running dog:

Lorien
04-11-2010, 12:41 PM
for the atheists;
'the unexamined life is not worth living'
-Socrates

the equivalent of the pencil, for those less inclined to have faith in God.:D

Larry B.
04-11-2010, 02:10 PM
for the atheists;
-Socrates

What does that mean?

Raymond Richard
04-11-2010, 02:56 PM
for the atheists;
-Socrates

Lorien, Your missing the point. What good is a pencil without a point?

I went to bed last night with this thread deep in my mind. Got up this morning and headed for church hoping something would put some light on the subject. The name of the sermon was called "Betting on Hope" which turned out to be focused on faith.

Here are a few things that came to my mind as to why bad things happen to good people. God seems to always get blamed when bad things happen to good people. Where is evil? Bad things happen when God is absent. Why is God absent? Because he is not needed. We chose to go along or merry way doing what ever we please. Look at the government, heck look at the world. He's just not welcome. We can take care of ourselves.......

Read the Old Testament. Over and over again things are great but then man starts putting himself before God. God is forced out. Things fall apart, there at the bottom of the barrel and then they ask God for his help and things gradually start getting better and the cycle repeats itself. What I see happening in the world today is just another repeat of what has already happened except on a much larger scale.

Bad things happen to all people when God is absent.

Jeff Pearce
04-11-2010, 04:16 PM
Rock this is Raymond paid forum. he can post what ever he wants and as long as it stays friendly there is no problem...

BossDog
04-11-2010, 05:04 PM
This thread was started with one person's declaration of his faith and what he got from reading the Bible. It had no drama and fell with in our posted rules. If some one, any one comes along and tries to start a debate, of any kind around that original post or religion in general, then I have a problem with that. I have not kept up with this thread and I have no intention of going back reading it all.

No drama applies to sub forums also. I have demonstrated several times that I have a very low tolerance for drama here and I will close this thread in a heart beat if it continues down the path that I have seen in these last few posts.

Jeff Pearce
04-11-2010, 10:13 PM
I deleted some post. keep on track or i will delete more.

One
04-12-2010, 08:47 AM
Bad things happen to all people when God is absent.

By nature God is everywhere and is never absent... regardless of whether we believe in God or not. 2thumbs

We can't force God out of our lives...

When we seek God,... we don't have to look very far. God is right there and always has been. :)

Don Carlos Andrade
04-12-2010, 12:59 PM
By nature God is everywhere and is never absent... regardless of whether we believe in God or not. 2thumbs

We can't force God out of our lives...

When we seek God,... we don't have to look very far. God is right there and always has been. :)

YEP! 2thumbs

Lorien
04-12-2010, 10:02 PM
I like that one too, Tai. Pretty much sums it up for me.

One
04-13-2010, 01:48 PM
Thanks guys! Me too!

... but

Don't encourage me. :confused:

Once I start preaching about God you'll all wish you hadn't. 2thumbs
... just ask Ray! LOL :D

Woof! :bud:

SPANK7357
04-13-2010, 05:50 PM
I joined this forum a few hours ago. This is my first post and it consists of one word. AMEN!

Dave "Spank" Spanski

Bruce Bump
04-13-2010, 08:43 PM
I accepted Jesus in 1989 and was babitized. Since that day old habits just fell off and I began a new life. Before that day I was nearly divorced, couldnt see my children, smoked and drank daily and didnt give a ---- about anything except myself. Almost immediately Kaye and I got back together after 7 months of separation, started attending a little church and began to start a new life. Now we are about to celebrate our 35th anniversary and have never been happier. Its a good life in comparison to my old one. That was 22 years ago and almost daily I thank him. It works for me and my family and we have some of the best friends on earth. I'm not one to debate anything but I know he lives.

It takes guts to start a thread like this Ray. You are what a real man of God is.

Dana Hackney
01-06-2011, 12:04 PM
Thanks, so much, for the beautiful post and exhortation.

Kind regards,
Dana

HHH Knives
01-06-2011, 12:40 PM
This is a great thread.. Ray, God Bless YA and thanks for starting it.. I agree with much of whats been said, and hope to continue to read this and watch it grow..

Randy

BRad704
01-06-2011, 01:10 PM
Thank you so much Randy for bumping this thread! I never would have found it otherwise, and as a Christian of 19 years, I am glad to see that we are able to have conversations openly about God and our faith. Someone said it back on page 2, but I have to agree again, that this just became my very favorite forum/site to frequent.

-Brad-

dan van
03-26-2011, 11:42 AM
Ray, Thanks for posting the truth for a lost world to find the way. Dan

CRF
03-27-2011, 09:18 AM
Wow! Thank you

JatMat
03-27-2011, 10:35 AM
I accepted Jesus in 1989 and was babitized. Since that day old habits just fell off and I began a new life. Before that day I was nearly divorced, couldnt see my children, smoked and drank daily and didnt give a ---- about anything except myself. Almost immediately Kaye and I got back together after 7 months of separation, started attending a little church and began to start a new life. Now we are about to celebrate our 35th anniversary and have never been happier. Its a good life in comparison to my old one. That was 22 years ago and almost daily I thank him. It works for me and my family and we have some of the best friends on earth. I'm not one to debate anything but I know he lives.

It takes guts to start a thread like this Ray. You are what a real man of God is.
I accepted Christ in 1972, before then, I dreaded going home and having words with wife. Christ turned my life around and now my wife and I are close to being married 47 years, some hiccups in first seven, but they do not get any better than now. She is my friend and supports me when I need it. Thanks Ray again.
Jim

Benr.t
12-14-2011, 09:49 PM
As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
Proverbs 27:17

Threads like these are good reminder to keep each other "sharp".
Thanks for posting this Ray!

Rustyboy
02-15-2012, 09:53 PM
ignorance of scripture is ignorance of Christ : st. Jerome:biggrin:

it wasn't until i was in my twenties that i found out what this really meant. so now im still an idiot just not an ignorant one.:lol:

Raymond Richard
02-15-2012, 10:35 PM
ignorance of scripture is ignorance of Christ : st. Jerome:biggrin:

it wasn't until i was in my twenties that i found out what this really meant. so now im still an idiot just not an ignorant one.:lol:

All I got to say is I just hope there's a boat load of Grace when my time comes. I been reading "Ragamuffin Gospel" for little over a week now. Really enjoying that.

DWD
11-03-2013, 02:53 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/DeepWoodsDecals/A%20Voice%20in%20the%20Wilderness/Repent_1_zpse20fb6f7.jpg

Acts 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

2Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

The only way, by which God can be reconciled to a sinful people, is, by their humbleness before Him and humiliation to the actual reformation and amendment of their lives; that is ever the proper fruit of repentance, to forsake our sins and become better for the future, more pious and devout towards God, more sober and chaste with regard to ourselves, more humble before God, seeking His face and turning from our wicked ways and idolatry.
>
>
>
>
>
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/DeepWoodsDecals/A%20Voice%20in%20the%20Wilderness/Repent_2_zpsea5caf03.jpg

“But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king’s meat, nor with the wine which he drank: therefore he requested of the prince of the eunuchs that he might defile himself” (Daniel 1:8).

The word defile here suggests “freeing through repudiation.” Daniel was saying, in other words, “Any compromise of my standards will rob me of my freedom!” So Daniel committed to eat only beans and drink only water for ten days. When he told the prince of the eunuchs this, the prince answered, “You’re going to cost me my life! You’ll look sickly at the end of ten days. Your cheeks will be sunken—and the king will surely notice! Here—eat just a little meat. You need the protein. Drink the wine to build up your blood. Eat some of these sweets to give you energy!”

I believe Daniel and the three Hebrew men had something more in mind than avoiding anything ceremonially unclean. They had been taken captive along with thousands of their countrymen. What they saw when they first arrived in Babylon must have shocked them beyond belief. It was a society so loose, immoral and full of cursing, these four men’s spiritual sensibilities were assailed.

So the four made a commitment. They told each other, “We dare not compromise. We dare not adopt these moral standards. We will be separate, and we will be disciplined in our walk of faith!”

I ask you: When you’re in a crisis, do you cry out, “Lord, where are you when I need you? Aren’t you committed to my deliverance?”

But what if the Lord should say to you,
“Where are you when I need a voice? I need voices in these sinful times, pure vessels through whom I can speak.
You say you want me to come to your crisis—yet you remain a part of the wicked, worldly system.
Tell me—are you committed to my purposes?” - David Wilkerson
>
>
>
>
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/DeepWoodsDecals/A%20Voice%20in%20the%20Wilderness/Pass_your_time_in_fear_zps991fb875.jpg

1Peter 1:14 As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance:
1Peter 1:15 But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;
1Peter 1:16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.
1Peter 1:17 And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear:

As the offices of certain persons are known by the garb or livery they wear, so are transgressors: where we see the world's livery we see the world's servants; they fashion or habit themselves according to their lusts, and we can know that they have a worldly mind by their conformity to worldly fashions, worldly events, worldly amusements and worldly lifestyles.

The Christian is to be as different from what he was himself before conversion as he is from his fellow-men. He is to be governed by new laws, to aim at new objects, and to mould his life in accordance with new principles. Before conversion, he was

(a.) supremely selfish;

(b.) he lived for personal gratification;

(c.) he gave free indulgence to his appetites and passions, restrained only by a respect for the decencies of life, and by a reference to his own health, property, or reputation, without regard to the will of God;

(d.) he conformed himself to the customs and opinions around him, rather than to the requirements of his Maker;

(e.) he lived to enhance the power, wealth, position, or reputation of his or herself, his supreme object being wealth, fame, the gathering of material things; or

(f.) in many cases, gave indulgence to every passion which they wished to gratify, regardless of reputation, health, property, or salvation. Now they are to be governed by a different rule, and their own former standard of morals and of opinions is no longer their guide, but the will of God.

According to the former lusts in your ignorance. When you were ignorant of the requirements of the gospel, and gave yourselves up to the unrestrained indulgence of your passions.

God approves or disapproves of men according to their moral character by His standards.
God's judgment will be according to a man's work, and a man's work or conduct will be according to the moral state of his mind. No favoritism can prevail in the day of judgment; nothing will pass there but holiness of heart and life. A righteousness imputed, and not possessed and practiced, will not avail where God judges according to every man's work. It would be well if those sinners and spurious believers who fancy themselves safe and complete in the righteousness of Christ, while impure and unholy in themselves, would think of this testimony of the apostle.

2Corinthians 7:1 Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

The world that now is-THIS present state of things, is as much opposed to the spirit of genuine Christianity as the world then was. Pride, luxury, vanity, extravagance in dress, and riotous living, prevail now, as they did then, and are as unworthy of a Christian's pursuit as they are injurious to his soul, and hateful in the sight of God.

And be not conformed, etc. The word rendered conformed properly means, to put on the form, fashion, or appearance of another. It refers to anything pertaining to the habit, manner, dress, style of living, etc., of others.

Christians should not conform to the maxims, habits, feelings, etc., of a wicked, luxurious, and idolatrous age, but should be conformed solely to the precepts and laws of the gospel; or the same principle may be extended to every age, and the direction may be, that Christians should not conform to the prevailing habits, style, and manners of the world--the people who know not God. They are to be governed by the laws of the Bible; to fashion their lives after the example of Christ; and to form themselves by principles different from those which prevail in the world. In the application of this rule there is much difficulty. Many may think that they are not conformed to the world. They indulge in many things which they do not think to be conformity to the world. The design of this passage is doubtless to produce a spirit that should not find pleasure in the pomp and vanity of the world; and which will regard all vain amusements and gaieties with disgust, and lead the mind to find pleasure in the better things of God.

Be not conformed to this world. "Be not fashioned according to this world". The humble follower of Christ dares not form, shape, or fashion (which is the exact sense of the Greek) himself after the foolish and vain customs, styles and forms of the worldly. - Matthew Henry

In thus wholly dedicating themselves to the service of the Lord, Christians must go entirely against the course of this evil world, and incur the censure, ridicule, or enmity of ungodly men, which will greatly interfere with their worldly interests. They ought not therefore to seek happiness from the world, or conform to the maxims, customs, and fashions of mankind in general.
>
>
>
>
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/DeepWoodsDecals/A%20Voice%20in%20the%20Wilderness/Hate_evil_zps7f094df0.jpg

Proverbs 8:13 The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.
Psalms 97:10 Ye that love the LORD, hate evil:

To hate evil; consists in a careful abstinence from sin, from a true dislike and hatred of it.
Pride; which he mentions first, as that which is most hateful to God, and most opposite to true wisdom and to the fear of God.

Show your love to the Lord
by hating and forsaking all sin and, Abstain from all appearance of evil. - 1Thessalonians 5:22

What you are to do: "Love the Lord." Reciprocally, personally, supremely, habitually, progressively.

What you must do: "Hate evil." Evil working, evil writing, evil speaking, evil thinking; renounce evil, master it, supplant it.

Renounce the worldly pomps, vanities, idolatry, lust, and fashions of the secular world.

1John 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
1John 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

1Peter 1:14 As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance:
1Peter 1:15 But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;
1Peter 1:17 And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in FEAR:
>
>
>
>
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/DeepWoodsDecals/A%20Voice%20in%20the%20Wilderness/Repent_4_zpsd7c78364.jpg

"Abuse not therefore the patience and long-suffering of God, by abandoning yourselves to a course of ungodliness and worldliness; presume not to go on boldly in the same way of sinners, nor to sit down securely in an unconverted impenitent state, as he who said ...Matthew 24:48 But and if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming;

My Lord delayeth his coming, lest he come and surprise you;"
for,
The day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night,
2Peter 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

Here we may observe,

The certainty of the day of the Lord: though it is now above 2000 years since this epistle was written, and the day has not yet come, it assuredly will come. God has appointed a day wherein he will judge the world in righteousness, and he will keep his appointment. It is appointed to men once to die, and after this the judgment,
Hebrews 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment.

"Settle it therefore in your hearts that the day of the Lord will certainly come, and you shall certainly be called to give an account of all things done in the body, whether good or evil; and let your exact walking before God, and your frequent judging yourselves, evidence your firm belief of a future judgment, when many live as if they were never to give any account at all."

Luke 13:3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Luke 13:5 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish
>
>
>
>
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/DeepWoodsDecals/A%20Voice%20in%20the%20Wilderness/AMUSE_zpsc94af7a3.jpg

Matthew 7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
Matthew 7:17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
Matthew 7:18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
Matthew 7:19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
Matthew 7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

Let's look at the definition of amuse.

Definition of : amuse as by Merriam-Websters 11th Collegiate Dictionary
1 : to divert the attention of so as to deceive
: to occupy the attention of
:ABSORB
: DISTRACT, BEWILDER
2 a : to entertain or occupy in a light, playful, or pleasant manner
b : to appeal to the sense of humor of .
synonyms: divert, entertain, recreate
Related words: absorb, distract, engross; animate, beguile, charm, enchant, fascinate, wile;

Who is it that deceives?

Who is it that distracts?

Who is it that beguiles?

Who's wiles are we warned to be on caution against?

answer...The Devil!! Satan, Lucifer, the fallen one, the father of lies, the prince of the "worldly", the false prophet, the false preacher, the smooth talker, prosperity preachers.

Are we bearing good fruit by partaking in the sins of society and infidels and the sporting events of the "worldly" infidels. How can a "true" Christian be so bound by television, internet, sports, fashions, vanities and pomp of the present world. The idolatry of sports and t.v. where most of the athletes and actors/actresses are on drugs and/or steroids and are homosexuals/lesbians. Not to mention scenes of naked or half naked women on Monday night football. Violence, vulgar language, horror, murder, nudity, acts of fornication and adultery on "family time" television....

How is this helping you to get ready for Heaven?

What you are saying to your small children and teenagers, and husband/wife, is,
“I choose the “world” over God and Heaven.”

How can anyone claim to be a Christian, let alone a “true” Christian, when they have to
have these things to amuse them?

1Corinthians 15:33 Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.

Galatians 6:7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

1Timothy 2:14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

2Timothy 3:13 But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.

Proverbs 17:4 A wicked doer giveth heed to false lips; and a liar giveth ear to a naughty tongue.

Lamentations 2:14 Thy prophets have seen vain and foolish things for thee: and they have not discovered thine iniquity, to turn away thy captivity; but have seen for thee false burdens and causes of banishment.

Matthew 7:15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

Matthew 24:11 And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.

1Corinthians 10:21 Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils.
It is in vain that you who frequent these idol festivals, profess the religion of Christ, and passion in the holy spiritual communion with God; you can not have that fellowship with Christ, while you are partakers of the table of demons.

2Corinthians 6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,

Isaiah 52:11 Depart ye, depart ye, go ye out from thence, touch no unclean thing; go ye out of the midst of her; be ye clean, that bear the vessels of the LORD.

Revelation 18:4 And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.

Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

People evidently don’t believe 1Corinthians 10:21…well if you don’t believe 1Corinthians 10:21, I would suggest reading the following scriptures and let them weigh on your mind and be very prayerful about its meaning. You eternal destination depends on your faith/belief in the truth of God’s Word.
Hebrews 3:18 And to whom sware he that they should not enter into his rest, but to them that believed not?
Hebrews 3:19 So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.

2Corinthians 6:15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? Greek for the word part is - meris, { mer-ece'} ; a portion, i.e. province, share or (abstractly) participation:--part (X -akers).

What part does a believer have with a stadium full of infidels, a gambling table or any worldly event full of infidels? You slander the name of Christ and crucify Him over again with this idolatry.

2Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

Acts 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

Luke 13:5 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

1Peter 1:13 Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;
1Peter 1:17 And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear:

Revelation 20:10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

Lord let us pray that we will not be decieved any longer as to the assumption that a person can live in and go along with the sins and idolatry of the world and society and still enter into the Kingdom of Heaven. Lord, help us this day to repent, turn from our iniquity and purify ourselves as You are pure.....lest we perish.
>
>
>
>
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/DeepWoodsDecals/A%20Voice%20in%20the%20Wilderness/devils_best_lie_zps228e701f.jpg

The Devil’s Best Lie…
1Corinthians 10:1 Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea;
1Corinthians 10:2 And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea;
1Corinthians 10:3 And did all eat the same spiritual meat;
1Corinthians 10:4 And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.
1Corinthians 10:5 But with many of them God was not well pleased: for they were overthrown in the wilderness.
1Corinthians 10:6 Now these things were our examples, to the intent we should not lust after evil things, as they also lusted.
1Corinthians 10:7 Neither be ye idolaters, as were some of them; as it is written, The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play.
1Corinthians 10:8 Neither let us commit fornication, as some of them committed, and fell in one day three and twenty thousand.
1Corinthians 10:9 Neither let us tempt Christ, as some of them also tempted, and were destroyed of serpents.
1Corinthians 10:10 Neither murmur ye, as some of them also murmured, and were destroyed of the destroyer.
1Corinthians 10:11 Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.
1Corinthians 10:12 Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.

"All" were baptized, "All" were fed, "All" did drink, but although God had done so much for them "All" without exception, many fell in the wilderness because of their sins....they returned to their sin and /or took up new sins, they let a little leaven in here and there......
[ Numbers 26:65 For the LORD had said of them, They shall surely die in the wilderness. And there was not left a man of them, save Caleb the son of Jephunneh, and Joshua the son of Nun.];

A startling warning to Christians on the journey to the Promise Land.

(v5) - for they were overthrown in the wilderness. And yet "All" these persons were under the cloud- "All" passed through the sea- "All" were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea- "All" ate the same spiritual meat- "All" drank the same spiritual drink, "All" were saved, for they were made partakers of the spiritual Rock, CHRIST.
Nothing can be a more settled proof than this, that people, who have every outward ordinance, go to church, profess Christianity, and are made partakers of the grace of our Lord Jesus, may so abuse their privileges and grieve the Spirit of God as to fall from their state of grace, and perish forever.
Let those who continually assert that this is impossible, beware for fear that they themselves, IF they are in a state of grace, should become, through their overabundance of security, proofs in point of the possibility of falling from grace and being cast into hell, though they began in the Spirit. Just as all the Israelites began in the Spirit and grace of God but by the end of their journey through the wilderness to the Promise Land, the majority had "fell" and were overthrown by God because of their returning to and/or continuance in sin.
Remember who said, Ye shall not surely die; and remember the mischiefs produced by a belief of his doctrine. This is Satan's main most cunningly made or contrived lie, to cause us not to fear God's warnings.
Numbers 14:16 Because the LORD was not able to bring this people into the land which he sware unto them, therefore he hath slain them in the wilderness.
Hebrews 3:19 So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.

It was no decree of God that prevented them, it was no want of necessary strength to enable them, it was through no deficiency of Divine counsel to instruct them; all these they had in abundance: but they chose to sin, and would not believe. Unbelief produced disobedience, and disobedience produced hardness of heart and blindness of mind; and all
these drew down the judgments of God, and wrath came upon them to the uttermost.
Unbelief is not only a great sin of itself, but one great cause of all other sins. It may be truly called the mother of sin, as the devil is the Father: for it was that, which by Satan’s instigation brought forth sin at first into the world; and it is by Satan’s lies and instigation that he still maintains and keeps sin in the lives of people. When the old serpent
assaulted our first parents, the first attack he made was upon their faith; and when that was once shaken, he soon overcame them.
We want to believe God’s promises but not His warnings. We want to be under His grace, but not under His command. We want to receive His blessings but not have to adhere to His law and rules.

Hebrews 6:4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
Hebrews 6:5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
Hebrews 6:6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

James 2:17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
James 2:18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
James 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
James 2:20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
James 2:21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
James 2:22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
James 2:23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
James 2:24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
James 2:25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?
James 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.
Romans 11:21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.

If He, in his infinite justice and holiness, could not tolerate sin in the people whom he foreknew, whom he had so long loved, cherished, miraculously preserved and blessed; take heed lest he also spare not you. Be convinced that the same righteous principle in him will cause him to act towards you as he has acted towards them, if you sin after the
similarity of their transgression. They did not believe what God said, they did not believe His warnings, they happily took of His manna but would not adhere to His rules and commands. To this same end, will our over security and over confidence in our ways, soon lead us.
If God proceeded with so much severity against his ancient and chosen people, the Jews, we Gentiles may in reason expect as great severity, if we do not take heed to ourselves, and to our standing. Let us take heed not to fall, by thinking it is impossible to fall.

Isaiah 66:2 For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been, saith the LORD: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word.
Psalms 51:17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.

A broken and a contrite heart, i.e. a heart deeply afflicted and grieved for sin, humbled under the sense of God's displeasure, and earnestly seeking and willing to accept of reconciliation with God upon any terms. This is opposed to that hard or stony heart,
This will call to the reader's remembrance Jeremiah 23:29 “Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces?” The breaking to shivers, and beating out, are metaphorical expressions: so are the hammer and the rock. What the large hammer struck on a rock by a powerful hand would do, so does the word of the Lord when struck on the sinner's heart by the power of the Holy Spirit. The broken heart and the contrite spirit, are two essential characteristics of true repentance.

Luke 13:5 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Mark 1:4 John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.
Luke 3:3 And he came into all the country about Jordan, preaching the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins;

Preaching to all the people the necessity of repentance, of forsaking their sins, and reforming their lives.
And preached the baptism of repentance. He preached, as well as baptized.
Only those who repented were fit subjects of baptism. Hence it was called the "baptism of repentance."
Repentance signifies, not only sorrow for sin, but to reach a firm decision to sin no more.

For remission of sins. This indicates the object of repentance and baptism.
Those who repented and were baptized were pardoned.
Both repentance and baptism are needful for forgiveness of sin.

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

2Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

The only way, by which God can be reconciled to a sinful people, is, the actual reformation and amendment of their lives; that is ever the proper fruit of repentance, to forsake our sins and become better for the future, more pious and devout towards God, more sober and chaste with regard to ourselves. Without this, sorrow and tears will have no avail to save our own souls, or to preserve our generation from destruction.

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 3:19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

Sin cannot be pardoned before man repents of it. In the order of the work of grace, repentance must always precede pardon. Of course, no man can have evidence that his sin is pardoned until he repents.

You claim to live by faith…faith is believing what God says…His promises and His warnings, His strengthening words and His breaking words. Salvation is not the believing of the security of going to heaven because you repeated something that some false preacher told you to and you just believe in God….”the devils believe, and tremble” James 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

We are to repent; to mourn over our sins, and to forsake them. God demands that we should at once surrender our self to Him by genuine repentance; by confession that God is right, and that we are wrong; and by a firm purpose to live a life of holiness, separate from the world.

Matthew 16:24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any [man] will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
Mark 8:34 And when he had called the people [unto him] with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
Luke 9:23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

DWD
03-15-2014, 03:50 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/DeepWoodsDecals/A%20Voice%20in%20the%20Wilderness/RainingFire_zps01f320a5.jpg

Romans 11:22 Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.

2Peter 2:6 And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha into ashes condemned them with an overthrow, making them an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly;

Luke 17:29 But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all.
Luke 17:30 Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed.

2Thessalonians 1:8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:
2Thessalonians 1:9 Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;

2Peter 3:7 But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.
2Peter 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
2Peter 3:12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?

Jude 1:5 I will therefore put you in remembrance, though ye once knew this, how that the Lord, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed them that believed not.
Jude 1:6 And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.
Jude 1:7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

Revelation 8:5 And the angel took the censer, and filled it with fire of the altar, and cast it into the earth: and there were voices, and thunderings, and lightnings, and an earthquake.
Revelation 8:6 And the seven angels which had the seven trumpets prepared themselves to sound.
Revelation 8:7 The first angel sounded, and there followed hail and fire mingled with blood, and they were cast upon the earth: and the third part of trees was burnt up, and all green grass was burnt up.
Revelation 8:8 And the second angel sounded, and as it were a great mountain burning with fire was cast into the sea: and the third part of the sea became blood;
Revelation 8:6 And the seven angels which had the seven trumpets prepared themselves to sound.
Revelation 8:9 And the third part of the creatures which were in the sea, and had life, died; and the third part of the ships were destroyed.
Revelation 8:10 And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters;
Revelation 8:11 And the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter.
Revelation 8:12 And the fourth angel sounded, and the third part of the sun was smitten, and the third part of the moon, and the third part of the stars; so as the third part of them was darkened, and the day shone not for a third part of it, and the night likewise.
Revelation 8:13 And I beheld, and heard an angel flying through the midst of heaven, saying with a loud voice, Woe, woe, woe, to the inhabiters of the earth by reason of the other voices of the trumpet of the three angels, which are yet to sound!

Revelation 20:9 ...and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them.

__________________________________________________ __________________________

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/DeepWoodsDecals/A%20Voice%20in%20the%20Wilderness/Take-up-the-Cross_zps9acee2ac.jpg

Jesus has many lovers of His crown, but very few bearers of His Cross. - C. H. Spurgeon

Most want Jesus as their Savior, but are not willing to have Him as their Lord.

We praise a Christ to whom we will not pray! We have become a praising people, but not a praying people. For many of God's people the prayer closet is a relic of the past. "Why ask God for what He has already promised? Just get hold of the promises and simply command deliverances!"
We no longer want Christ as much as we want what He can do for us.
We want an escape from pain and suffering.
We want our troubles to vanish. And we are so caught up in our escape from pain, we lose the true meaning of the Cross.
We refuse crosses and losses - no Gethsemane for us! No nights of agony! We don't even know this suffering, bleeding, resurrected Christ!
We want His healing power.
We want His promises of prosperity.
We want His protection.
We want more of this earth's goods.
We want His happiness.
But we really don't want Him alone! - D. Wilkerson

1Timothy 6:5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.
1Timothy6:6 But godliness with contentment is great gain.
1Timothy 6:7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.
1Timothy 6:8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.
1Timothy 6:9 But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.
1Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
1Timothy 6:11 But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.
__________________________________________________ ___________________

Matthew 10:38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

Matthew 16:24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Mark 8:34 And when he had called the people unto him with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Mark 10:21 Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.

Luke 9:23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

Acts 14:22 Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God.

2Timothy 3:12 Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.

Just CHRIST.

Paul counted it all as dung, that he may win CHRIST.....

Philippians 3:8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,

Philippians 3:10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;

1Peter 4:13 But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.

Tribulation is the consequence of living contrary to the world.

Read the Book of Job.....

Job had a really bad rock-bottom experience. Here is a righteous man of God, so down that he longed for death. He was so crushed by grief and sorrow, he lost his will to live. All his children were killed by a tornado that caused the roof to cave in on them. He lost his wealth, his influence, and his good name. His friends, such as they were, forsook him and sat in judgment as his accusers. Those he had helped turned against him. Those he loved no longer responded to his needs. Rather than help him, his wife accused him of bringing all the trouble upon himself. Not one person really cared.

Looking into the future, all Job could see was pain, tears, loneliness, and emptiness. There was not one silver lining in all the dark clouds hanging over him. Besides all the battles with being alone in his struggles, a physical infirmity fell upon him. He developed cancerous sores from head to toe. Spiritually, physically, financially -- in every way -- Job was down.

The loneliness Job experienced must have been horrifying. And the despair hung on so long, with no relief in sight, that Job started to get bitter. He despised the day of his birth, as if to say, "God, You brought me into the world -- for this? Was I born to live in turmoil, pain, and trouble?" He questioned why God seemed to ignore him, leaving him to suffer alone.

Oh, yes, Job had a few good days when it looked as if the trouble was all over. He would look ahead and think, "I'm coming out of it. I see a light at the end of the tunnel. A few more days or weeks, and everything will be just fine."

But the days rolled by, and, instead of his burden lifting, it got heavier. Just when he thought the battle was over, IT WORSENED. Plans went awry. Things that he hoped would happen -- didn't. The much-longed-for victory did not materialize.

And yet some turn away from Him because they don't get material blessings, health, or because people don't like them when they stand for the Truth....

Jesus Christ said...

Matthew 5:11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

Matthew 10:22 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.

Luke 6:22 Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake.

remember this......

Hebrews 12:4 Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.

Sin is the worst enemy both to God and man. Our spiritual warfare is both honorable and necessary; for we are only defending ourselves against that which would destroy us, if it should get the victory over us; we fight for ourselves, for our lives, and therefore ought to be patient and resolute.
Every Christian is enlisted under Christ's banner, to strive against sin, against sinful doctrines, sinful practices, and sinful habits and customs, both in himself and in others.

"You have not yet been called, in your Christian struggles, to the highest kind of sufferings and sacrifices. Great as your trials may seem to have been, yet your faith has not yet been put to the severest test. And since this is so, you ought not to yield in the conflict with evil, but manfully resist it.
The apostle is appealing to the example of the Savior, and urging Christians to persevere amidst their trials by looking to him. Nothing would be more natural, in this connection, than to refer to that dark night when, in the severest conflict with temptation which He ever encountered, He so signally showed his own firmness of purpose, and the effects of resistance on his own bleeding body, and his signal victory, in the garden of Gethsemane." -Albert Barnes

__________________________________________________ __________________________

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/DeepWoodsDecals/A%20Voice%20in%20the%20Wilderness/Idols1_zpsd143c009.jpg

"Vanity of mind" is the waste of the rational powers on worthless objects, of which idolatry is one of the more glaring instances. The root of it is departure from the knowledge of the true God.

Leviticus 19:4 Turn ye not unto idols, nor make to yourselves molten gods: I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 26:1 Ye shall make you no idols nor graven image, neither rear you up a standing image, neither shall ye set up any image of stone in your land, to bow down unto it: for I am the LORD your God.

Psalms 96:5 For all the gods of the nations are idols: but the LORD made the heavens.

Psalms 106:36 And they served their idols: which were a snare unto them.

Psalms 115:4 Their idols are silver and gold, the work of men's hands.

Isaiah 2:8 Their land also is full of idols; they worship the work of their own hands, that which their own fingers have made:

Ezekiel 14:6 .......Thus saith the Lord GOD; Repent, and turn yourselves from your idols; and turn away your faces from all your abominations.

Ezekiel 20:16 Because they despised my judgments, and walked not in my statutes, but polluted my sabbaths: for their heart went after their idols.

Ezekiel 20:18 But I said unto their children in the wilderness, Walk ye not in the statutes of your fathers, neither observe their judgments, nor defile yourselves with their idols:

Ezekiel 20:24 Because they had not executed my judgments, but had despised my statutes, and had polluted my sabbaths, and their eyes were after their fathers' idols.

Ezekiel 23:30 I will do these things unto thee, because thou hast gone a whoring after the heathen, and because thou art polluted with their idols.

Ezekiel 23:39 For when they had slain their children to their idols, then they came the same day into my sanctuary to profane it; and, lo, thus have they done in the midst of mine house.

Ezekiel 23:49 And they shall recompense your lewdness upon you, and ye shall bear the sins of your idols: and ye shall know that I am the Lord GOD.

Ezekiel 37:23 Neither shall they defile themselves any more with their idols, nor with their detestable things, nor with any of their transgressions: but I will save them out of all their dwelling places, wherein they have sinned, and will cleanse them: so shall they be my people, and I will be their God.

Habakkuk 2:18 What profiteth the graven image that the maker thereof hath graven it; the molten image, and a teacher of lies, that the maker of his work trusteth therein, to make dumb idols?

Acts 15:20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.

1Corinthians 12:2 Ye know that ye were Gentiles, carried away unto these dumb idols, even as ye were led.

2Corinthians 6:16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Numbers 16:26 And he spake unto the congregation, saying, Depart, I pray you, from the tents of these wicked men, and touch nothing of theirs, lest ye be consumed in all their sins.

Proverbs 9:6 Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

1John 5:21 Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.

James 4:4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

1John 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
1John 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

__________________________________________________ ____________________ _____
James 4:8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.
James 4:9 Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness.
James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

Isaiah 52:11 Depart ye, depart ye, go ye out from thence, touch no unclean thing; go ye out of the midst of her; be ye clean, that bear the vessels of the LORD.

2Corinthians 6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,
2Corinthians 6:18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

2Corinthians 7:1 Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

Revelation 18:4 And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.
__________________________________________________ ____________________ _____

Ephesians 4:17 This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind,

Ephesians 4:18 Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart:

Ephesians 4:19 Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.

Ephesians 4:20 But ye have not so learned Christ;

Into such profligate and brutal sensualities as these the heathen world are sunk; But you have not so learned Christ, as if his religion were a mere system of speculation, that might leave you practically attached to such abominable vices.

The outward conduct, resulting from this corrupt nature, must be cast off at once as a filthy garment; and the inward desires must be denied, crucified, and mortified, till wholly abolished.

( Romans 6:5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
Romans 6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.)

The Ephesians had also been taught according ‘to the truth in Jesus,” that they must be continually renewed more and more in the inward judgment, temper, and affections of their souls, by the power of divine grace, into the humble, spiritual, holy, and loving mind of Christ; that so they might “put on the new man;” and that their habitual conduct might be conformed to his example, and evince that they were newly-created after the image of God, “in righteousness and true holiness,” or the holiness of truth; even that holiness which springs from a real belief of “the truth as it is in Jesus” .

Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

These important and essential practical lessons they had been taught by the apostle, and by Christ himself, if indeed they were true Christians: and in connection with the means, motives, and assistance afforded them, they would effectually lead them to a conduct entirely different from that of their Gentile neighbors.—The corrupt conversation, including doubtless the bad habits of the heathen, is distinguished from “the old man,” or the depraved nature whence all these evils spring. The root would still remain after the converts had “put off, concerning the former conversation, the old man;” and this would render watchfulness and diligence needful to the end, till “the body of sin was abolished.” If “the old man” means no more than bad habits, as many explain it, how does it come to pass that these bad habits have always been so general, not to say universal; while good habits have been exceedingly rare, if any instances can be adduced, which never yet have been in a satisfactory manner? We never read of bad habits in any degree among holy angels; nor would they have been heard of among men, if they had not apostatized from God, and become “dead in sin,” and “by nature children of wrath.”—The state of the unconverted Gentile is indeed here particularly adverted to; yet it is most certain that the nature of the unregenerate is similar, even in those who profess to be Christians.

The apostle acquaints us to what the truth as it is in Jesus, that is, the doctrine of the gospel, does direct us to, enjoin and require of us; namely, to put off the old man, that is, our former heathen conversation, and manner of life.

Our apostle acquaints the converted Ephesians and us, that the saving knowledge of Christ, instructs us better than to practice such licentiousness and wickedness as the unconverted Gentiles wallow in. But ye have not so learned Christ; that is, the gospel of Christ.

Nothing curbs sin, nothing cures sin, in a licentious sinner, like the doctrine of Christ revealed in the gospel; no moral precepts from the school of the heathens, which some so much magnify and applaud, can compare with this, which lays open the root of this accursed disease, and leads us to the remedy which the wisdom of God has appointed for it's cure, even the blood of his own Son. Then blessed be God for revealed truth!

That holiness is not only the reforming of the mind; and not only of the mind, but of the spirit of the mind: by which we must understand the highest and most refined faculties of the mind, that part which is most free from the dregs of sin, and which comes up nearest to God, as the spirit of the mind and understanding does.

Verily, not our minds only, but even the spirit of our minds, need renewing, because corruption is got into the highest powers and superior faculties of the soul, and because we must serve God with all our mind; and if so, with the spirit of our mind; and blessed be God that regenerating and renewing grace is a universal principle, as sin was.

As a child of God, you are called to holiness by the Gospel, the other worldly people around you have no such calling; walk not as they walk.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/DeepWoodsDecals/A%20Voice%20in%20the%20Wilderness/Lion1_zps7c73487e.jpg

Amos 3:8 The lion hath roared, who will not fear? the Lord GOD hath spoken, who can but prophesy?

God never threatens in vain: his wrath is infinitely more terrible than all other evils, and they who have a true apprehension of it cannot but faithfully warn sinners to escape from it in the only way which God has provided.

Who will not fear? what wise man, who that is solicitous for his own good and safety, or that has any affections for the good of others, will do less than reverence and fear, and prevent the wrath of the almighty GOD, by a speedy repentance?

As the denouncing of the divine judgments ought to terrify you like the roaring of a lion, so the prophets that are God’s messengers must obey those commands and instructions he gives them, with whatever perils the discharge of their duty may be attended.

As when "the lion roars", none can help but "fear," so when GOD communicates His awful message, the prophet cannot but prophesy.

Acts 5:29 Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

Jesus will be a Saviour to none to whom he is not a Prince. We must submit ourselves to his ruling power, as well as commit ourselves to his saving mercy. For it is in vain to expect salvation by him, if we do not yield subjection to him.

Mark 7:7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
Mark 7:8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
Mark 7:9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.