PDA

View Full Version : Work Rest For the 9" Disc Grinder

Diamond G Knives
06-23-2011, 09:01 PM
Has anyone come up with a good work rest for the 9" disc grinder??
Trying to come up with one, just wondering if anyone else had one that worked for them?

Thanks and God Bless
Mike

Wayne Coe
06-24-2011, 04:16 AM
See Fred Rowe's video. He has a good set up. Rod Nielson has pictures of his work rest. I don't remember if it was on a thread on Knife Dogs or a picture that he sent to me.

rfrink
01-15-2012, 04:51 PM
How about something like this?

http://beaumontmetalworks.com/9disk/disk-wr1.jpg

http://beaumontmetalworks.com/9disk/disk-wr2.jpg

http://beaumontmetalworks.com/9disk/disk-wr3.jpg

http://beaumontmetalworks.com/9disk/disk-wr4.jpg

http://beaumontmetalworks.com/9disk/disk-wr5.jpg

http://beaumontmetalworks.com/9disk/disk-wr6.jpg

This a prototype that I've been using for a few weeks. I love it!! I think we will have them ready to ship int a few weeks. I'll figure out the price when they are done and all the numbers are in.

So for now...just pics to look at.

Thoughts?

-Rob

BossDog
01-15-2012, 05:56 PM
Awesomeness....
can we call it KMDG?

rhinoknives
01-15-2012, 07:29 PM
Hi Rob,

That has Potential! Let us know about the cost when ready!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

macfly
01-16-2012, 07:24 PM
Hi Rob,

That is SWEET!!!

Great Job,

Mike

Diamond G Knives
01-16-2012, 08:02 PM
Rob
Thats just damn sexy!!! Ill be ordering a new disc grinder in the next few months, when do you expect these to be in production??? Id be happy to do some trials for you :3:

God Bless
Mike

BossDog
01-18-2012, 07:01 AM
Rob and I swapped a couple emails. These are going to happen. He is setting up a small run to nail down materials and cycle time costs. He will have them on the Beaumont Metal Works site and I will carry them also on the USAKnifemaker.com site.

Les George
01-18-2012, 07:29 AM
NEED!

(hey Tracy, dang it! LOL!)

rfrink
01-18-2012, 07:40 AM
A few thoughts about this tool....

It mounts on the face of any 56C motor.....so it you have a motor...you can make a disk grinder.

The workrest completely slides off...quickly!! to change abrasive...no tools needed.

Robust!! heavy duty and over built. This is how I like my machinery....it has to feel solid, smooth...and built for abuse. No frills....just steel! :lol:

Tracy will be offering these as an attachment....and at Beaumont Metal Works, we will offer them as an attachment...and as a complete package with motor, controller and disk.

This is something that I always wanted to offer...but have always been too busy to put it together. Tracy twisted my arm....and got me inspired to finally finish the idea.

Dan Pierson
01-18-2012, 10:18 AM
Any reason that this wouldn't work with the Nielsen Interchangable Disk system? I really
like the idea of being able to switch between beveled and flat disks easily.

D.Douglas
01-18-2012, 10:36 AM
This looks awesome.

rfrink
01-18-2012, 11:06 AM
Any reason that this wouldn't work with the Nielsen Interchangable Disk system? I really

I'm not familiar with that...so I cannot speak from experience. This is just a workrest that mounts to the face of a 56C motor....it is independent of the disk itself.

So, if you have a 56C motor...and a disk that is less than about 10" dia...it should work.

-Rob

murphda2
01-18-2012, 08:33 PM
Another rock solid design Rob. I'll put one on my wish list!

Kalimalena
02-06-2012, 09:02 AM
Aloha Rob... That is awesome!... I'm in when you have them ready to go!...
Converted mine to horizontal so I'll need another variable speed motor and controller... still have the original plate and stand for controller...
Can't wait... Good stuff!
Craig

DaveMartell
02-06-2012, 09:10 AM
This is so awesome - a must have for me!

DaveMartell
02-06-2012, 09:14 AM

This is a good question as the Nielson interchangeable disc adds another 3/8" thickness to the disc. This brings the abrasive out 3/8" further from the motor face. I'm all for buying one of these work rests if it's confirmed that it will work with the Nielson system as I can't live without mine.

DaveMartell
02-09-2012, 09:09 AM
I can't stop checking here for an update on this project - please help me! :biggrin:

BossDog
02-09-2012, 09:06 PM
I swapped quick emails today with Rob. The first batch is done but he hasn't had a chance to price them out as he is short a guy right now and trying to keep up. Should be soon though.

DaveMartell
02-10-2012, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the update Tracy - this is exciting. :)

Diamond G Knives
11-13-2012, 07:24 PM
Well it's been a while now since ive had the Disc grinder and table from Rob. This weekend I profiled 27 blades from 4" paring knives to 14" French Chefs. I also finish ground 4 - 12" Japanese style Blades and 11 small chefs blades all to 800 grit. What a time saver!!!!! With a bit of engineering I set up a jig to get true square ends on all my handle materials as well as proper bevels for bolsters. To say I am impressed whith what this machine can do is an understatement! Almost feels like Im cheating some how!

Rob I love the disc grinder and work rest! Thanks for such an awsome work platform!

God Bless
Mike

Taz575
08-10-2013, 02:08 AM
Will the table work with a 12" disc? I have a WoodRiver and Harbor Freight 12" disc sanders that I love, but the tables on them kinda suck. The WoodRiver is much smooth and has a better table, but no where that nice!

PT Doc
08-10-2013, 09:48 PM
Will the table work with a 12" disc? I have a WoodRiver and Harbor Freight 12" disc sanders that I love, but the tables on them kinda suck. The WoodRiver is much smooth and has a better table, but no where that nice!

Unless something has changed, I would guess no. Rb answered to a post on page 2 about the size.

I'm not familiar with that...so I cannot speak from experience. This is just a workrest that mounts to the face of a 56C motor....it is independent of the disk itself.

So, if you have a 56C motor...and a disk that is less than about 10" dia...it should work.

-Rob

Taz575
08-10-2013, 09:54 PM
Ah, ok. I missed that post :(

Jon Kelly
09-02-2014, 08:42 PM
Any thoughts on a time-frame for availability on one of these work rests? I would really like to have one.