PDA

View Full Version : Small vertical forge and burner

Raymond Richard
05-30-2011, 12:12 PM
Here's a little forge I made out of a one gallon propane bottle and burner out of 3/4" black pipe and a few fittings. I decided to make it a little bit higher so I added on 1 1/2". Used several different types of saw steel for the build.

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_3494.JPG
http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_3495.JPG
http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_3496.JPG

Jeff Pearce
05-30-2011, 05:21 PM
Very nice...Looks great

ddavelarsen
05-31-2011, 06:59 AM
That looks great Ray. What are you going to heat in that one?

Denny Eller
05-31-2011, 08:45 AM
Good looking forge, Ray. What did you line it with?

Raymond Richard
05-31-2011, 10:35 AM
That looks great Ray. What are you going to heat in that one?

Dave, I plan to make popcorn with this forge. :D No, actually it was an order for a fellow that lives a little east of Eugene on one of the better fishing rivers. He's starting out as a bladesmith and wanted something that would be pretty portable and this is it. It will heat up about 6" of steel at a time.

Denny, I lined it with ceramic insulation that is coated with fire clay. Its the same clay that brick layers would use when mixing there mortar for use inside a fireplace. When I worked as a brick tender or hod carrier before I knew better I mixed quite a bit of it. In this case I just used the straight clay and mixed it to a consistency of cream and then dipped the insulation in it. A trick I learned from Mr Google except he would use white clay that would be used for making bowls. I can buy a 50 pound bag of the fire clay for around 7 bucks.

Don Carlos Andrade
05-31-2011, 10:51 PM
That looks cool Ray! I love the saw detail:)

Raymond Richard
06-01-2011, 12:18 AM
That looks cool Ray! I love the saw detail:)

Don, This forge is hot, what you talking about? :D I'm trying to use up the saw steel, I probably have a ton of it out in the shop.

Bruce Bump
06-02-2011, 08:55 PM
Nice little vertical Raymond. I have a small bottle for just that same reason but I was thinking a mini blower model. Does yours reach welding heat? Maybe I dont need to supercharge mine.

Raymond Richard
06-03-2011, 05:22 PM
Nice little vertical Raymond. I have a small bottle for just that same reason but I was thinking a mini blower model. Does yours reach welding heat? Maybe I dont need to supercharge mine.

Bruce, I didn't design it for welding just general forging of blades. The customer was wanting something pretty portable and light weight and this is what I came up with. I'm sure a burner with a blower would create more heat. Now with this one you could take it fishing with you and not need any power. Just need a blow up anvil and your ready to go. I think if you went with a 1" pipe you could reach welding heat but then you'd be running at 7 or 8 pounds pressure. It runs pretty nice for regular forging at 2 to 3 pounds pressure.

Still trying to figure out away to get you in my carry on luggage for Blade next year.

Bruce Bump
06-04-2011, 01:52 AM
I've been losing a few pounds but still cant fit in one of the overhead storage I bet.

Wouldnt hammering while on the boat scare the fish away? hehe
I bet a hair dryer is enough air to raise the temp to welding heat. I want to build a mini forge, press and grinder for folder blades. Wouldnt that be cute? My equipment seems like real overkill for a 2-3" long blade. I want to make a mini horizontal grinder too.
Bruce, I didn't design it for welding just general forging of blades. The customer was wanting something pretty portable and light weight and this is what I came up with. I'm sure a burner with a blower would create more heat. Now with this one you could take it fishing with you and not need any power. Just need a blow up anvil and your ready to go. I think if you went with a 1" pipe you could reach welding heat but then you'd be running at 7 or 8 pounds pressure. It runs pretty nice for regular forging at 2 to 3 pounds pressure.

Still trying to figure out away to get you in my carry on luggage for Blade next year.

Raymond Richard
06-04-2011, 09:15 AM
Bruce, I bet I could cram you under my seat. :D There are several noises I cannot stand and hair dryer's are right at the top of the list. There's a reason for this bald head. I've been using bathroom exhaust fans for blowers and you can hardly hear them. Now the only way you know this forge is working is by its breath. I think for most of knife making the tools are large. Knowing you the mini grinder would have a hidden blade somewhere.

Your still going to be at the Boise Show?

Bruce Bump
06-05-2011, 07:30 PM
That reminds me, I need to send my money to David for the Boise Show. Are you signed up already?

Hair dryers are obnoxious but just a quiet fan of sorts should up the temp to welding heat. You should hear my full size vertical with two blowers. It has that nice jet airplane sound.

Raymond Richard
06-05-2011, 08:48 PM
That reminds me, I need to send my money to David for the Boise Show. Are you signed up already?

Hair dryers are obnoxious but just a quiet fan of sorts should up the temp to welding heat. You should hear my full size vertical with two blowers. It has that nice jet airplane sound.

Yes, I reserved my table before the end of May. Are you doing the Montana Show again?

I do very little forge welding. Remember I'm one of those anti damascus makers. :D

Bruce Bump
06-08-2011, 11:15 PM
We havent done the Montana Show for a couple years now. I miss all those makers but it doesnt pan out in the pocket book anymore. Its just too dang bad I have to treat this like a business now-a-days. I'm down to only Eugene, Boise and Little Rock.

Raymond Richard
06-09-2011, 01:50 PM
We havent done the Montana Show for a couple years now. I miss all those makers but it doesnt pan out in the pocket book anymore. Its just too dang bad I have to treat this like a business now-a-days. I'm down to only Eugene, Boise and Little Rock.

That's the reason I have never been back to the Montana Show. It just cost me money even with a free table for doing the forging demo. Hard to make money when its just knife makers there. I'm seeing more and more shows like that. I'm going to check into Little Rock. Still may do Blade next year just because if I can get a table that isn't in the south 40. See what happens there.