View Full Version : Yahoo. . .finally!

03-15-2011, 04:37 PM
This place probably looks familiar to some of you. Magic happens behind those doors, but something in this photo just aint right. When a man uses a 100 lb. Little Giant for a door stop he has way too many hammers.

So, after a little haggling, and for a mere arm, and a leg, Bill let me drag it off the mountain, down to the bottoms where I dwell.

Home safe and sound. Going to have to cut a hole in the roof. Maybe put a cupola over it.

Had to take the top shaft assembly off to get it through the door. The door is 6í8Ē. The hammer is 6í8-1/16Ē. Nothing a running start couldnít overcome.

Now, this was a good running hammer when Bill had it, but I have never let a good running anything stop me from fixing it. So, since the top was off might as well pour new babbitt, and rebuild the clutch. When I talked to Sid at Little Giant about new clutch blocks he had a good chuckle, when I asked around for hard maple block big enough to make them out of everyone got a good laugh. Tim Potier told me he had some Osage Orange out back that he could cut up and send if I needed, but I finally found some maple on the East coast. We traded straight across, gold for wood.

Considering the cast of lunatics (thanks guys) who were involved in the babbitt pour, it went without a hitch. The secret is in the preparation. Here the bottom has been poured, and now the top is ready.

Pouring Babbitt is a breeze. If you need any advice. . . call Bill. I donít plan on doing it ever again.

And finally, after a year and a half. . .

And running. . .

Now that I am out of excuses Iím going to have to actually finish a knife. . . Someday. . . Soon.

03-15-2011, 06:18 PM
Great story Bob, but where are the pics?

03-16-2011, 03:21 AM
Oh Great! I just checked the attachment manager and all the photos are gone. I'll have to look into it when I get home.

03-16-2011, 03:29 AM
tried to fix it. Think I made it worse

Martin Schutte
03-16-2011, 07:10 AM
Holly crap Bob that`s Beaty of a HUGE monster Chunky hope you have alot of fun!!

03-16-2011, 08:37 AM
Pics look great. I guess you got it all worked out.

Lucky Dog!

Bill Burke
03-16-2011, 08:00 PM
Wow Bob that looks great. Wanna trade? I have this hammer that is in great shape lmost new, Nothing like that old beater of yours...

03-19-2011, 10:49 AM
I don't know. I have this feeling that yours is about to make a dramatic come back.

03-19-2011, 02:53 PM
nice looking hammer and I enjoyed the story.. I promise to never pour babbit bearings..

04-29-2011, 04:48 PM
A recent video

04-30-2011, 09:30 AM
A recent video

man, that hammer puts the smack down on hot metal...