PDA

View Full Version : Tsunami

One
03-11-2011, 12:12 PM
Hey everyone,... Ray's daughter and granddaughter are over there in Tokyo Japan. He's had email contact with them since the earthquake, but things are somewhat uncertain right now.

Ray's over in Oregon 100 miles from the coast and they don't feel it's a major threat there as of now.

All Payers appreciated...

Hang in there big buddy.

Jeff Pearce
03-11-2011, 02:20 PM
They are in our prayers.

Dusty One
03-11-2011, 02:58 PM
I hope everything is find. They will be our prayers also !

Phil Dwyer
03-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Hey Grandpa, I hope all is well with your family.

We did pretty much okay here throughout Hawaii. Some flood damage in various areas. I haven't been to the high school in Aina Haina where I teach yet to check things out. (School was canceled state wide, I believe.) My school forges are about 50' from the seawall and only about 4' above sea level.

All the best yaR, to you and the fam!!!

Josh Dabney
03-11-2011, 03:57 PM
Ray,

I don't pray much, only on rare occasions when I think it something important and only for someone else.

My sincere prayers have been said for your daughter, grandaughter and family members who may be stressed in this time of uncertainty.

-Josh

Denny Eller
03-11-2011, 09:31 PM
Our thoughts and prayers are with Ray's family along with everyone affected by this horrible event.

kimsalls
03-11-2011, 09:47 PM
Prayers for your family Ray.

Raymond Richard
03-12-2011, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the prayers! My daughter has tried calling a couple times but both times we were not home but she did say all is well except for my daughter and granddaughter having the flu. Fortunately her husband had stayed home from work to take care of them which was a good thing. If he had gone to work he would have been stranded since the trains were all shut down. We are really thankful for the good news from them but lots of other losses further north. The times we have tried calling we haven't been able to get through. I think the power plants are the big concern now. Thanks again for your prayers and concerns.......

ddavelarsen
03-12-2011, 04:51 AM
Late to the event, but Ray my prayer go out to all affected by this tragedy. I hope you are able to talk to your daughter soon. What a blessing that her husband had stayed home that day; this is a time the family wants to be together.

mofretwell
03-12-2011, 10:23 AM
That is a good report Ray! Good to know your family is safe.

What a crushing blow for Japan. They were on their knees economically before this -- and have been for about 12 years. I hope their losses are less than they appear to be.

bubba-san
03-12-2011, 04:14 PM
My prayers are with your family and anyone who lost friends or family . I have a lot of friends in Japan , have not heard from them yet ?? I sent a lot of emails? I guess thier comminications are down in some areas . It is very sad what has happened.

Raymond Richard
03-12-2011, 10:17 PM
I was able to talk with my daughter today. Her and Kylie are about over the flu. The area of Tokyo they live in was pretty much undisturbed by the earth quake. Things are pretty much back to normal there now. I'm starting to think the earth quake itself didn't cause many problems. Most the problems came from the tsunami itself. Still need to keep this country in our prayers.

Phil Dwyer
03-12-2011, 11:26 PM
Glad to hear the good news grandpa! I believe the whole world is praying for Japan (and Christchurch, NZ) right about now, and rightfully so. They experienced dismal calamities. As horrid as they were, we're all praying it goes no further with the cataclysmic meltdown of any of Japan's damaged nuclear power plants.

Jeff Pearce
03-12-2011, 11:28 PM
Glad everyone's OK

Raymond Richard
03-13-2011, 11:56 AM
Glad to hear the good news grandpa! I believe the whole world is praying for Japan (and Christchurch, NZ) right about now, and rightfully so. They experienced dismal calamities. As horrid as they were, we're all praying it goes no further with the cataclysmic meltdown of any of Japan's damaged nuclear power plants.

I'd forgotten about Christchurch. Lots of calamities happening this day and age. Think I've read about all this happening somewhere.

Did you get a look at the school you teach at?

Phil Dwyer
03-14-2011, 12:41 AM
We sustained a bit of damage, but not too bad. The water came over the retaining wall and made it about 50 feet into our campus. As there was not adequate drainage through the wall for all the water to get back out we now have two large sink holes that under cut the wall. We've roped off the area (where we all eat lunch :biggrin:) until we can make repairs.

Raymond Richard
03-14-2011, 09:41 AM
We sustained a bit of damage, but not too bad. The water came over the retaining wall and made it about 50 feet into our campus. As there was not adequate drainage through the wall for all the water to get back out we now have two large sink holes that under cut the wall. We've roped off the area (where we all eat lunch :biggrin:) until we can make repairs.

Phil, Does this mean your forges were underwater? We got hit with a freak storm yesterday. Got more trees to remove for the cattle fence. I had a roundup yesterday afternoon after the cows got out. Did you get hit with a storm yesterday? We had winds from 60 to 100 mph not to mention sideways winds. It sounded like a fireman turned his hose on my tin box shop.

Phil Dwyer
03-15-2011, 12:41 AM
My forges (solid fuel with hand crank blowers, etc) at the high school were not under water. Just got their feet wet! That afternoon around three PM I was there picking up a forge and anvil for the school's annual Waldorfaire at the lower school campus the next day. When I got there it looked like a low tide. About twenty minutes later it looked like high tide. Mind you, this was about 12 hours after the initial wave hit. It was a bit mind boggling to stand there and see that small echo of what happened (and was still happening) and to think of the vast amounts of water still pulsing and surging throughout the immense ocean body!

We did not get hit by the storm you got clobbered by, thank goodness. We'd have had a tough time of it. Sounds like it was no picnic for you. We had some weeks of heavy rains prior though. Around here sometimes inches can fall in an hour or two. I once saw 7.5 inches fall in less than two hours on my farm on the Big Island. Hilo, on the other side of the island and one of the wettest places in the US, got over 36" in 24 hours during that storm! Glad to hear you're still kicking and fighting the good fight. Keep it up!!!